Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Filling Ping G700 heads

sfdoddsysfdoddsy Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
On a drunken whim the other day I bought some Ping G700 irons. Being impatient (and drunk) and since they were on sale I bought them with the stock AWT shaft, stock blue dot lie, and stock grips.

After a couple of practice rounds I'm a little concerned.

I've hit some great shots with them (albeit not as many as I hit in the simulator). But also more pull hooks (my bad shot) than I'd like.

It could be me adjusting to the extra offset. Or the lie being too upright. Or the shaft being a little flexy.

But they also feel very light to me.

Ping (in Australia) are quoting $40 a club to adjust the swing weight. This seems a tad excessive.

So has anyone removed the removable screw and experimented with foam or yarn to change swing weight and/or feel?
Callaway Fusion Matrix
Cobra F6 Baffler
Ping G400 hybrid
PXG irons
PXG & Miura wedges
Edel E3 putter

Comments

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They were on sale ??
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Members Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is some sort of goo already in the head. It has not filled the whole cavity but there is some in there. I can’t see yarn changing the swingweight much.
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lead tape can be used to increase swingweight. I'd experiment that way to see if that helps with the problem before exploring options involving removing the screw and stuffing the head.
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • kwl56kwl56 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Put some lead tape on the head to get to the weight you like then weigh it and remove the grip and put lead powder/cork down the shaft.
  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs FL & OK Members Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

They were on sale ??

He's still drunk mate
    G400 Max 9* Tour 65
    G400 14.5* Tour 75
    G400h 19* Tour 85
    G Crossover 21* Tour 85{410 on the way} 
    G700 5i & 6i Recoil 110 
    i500 7-UW Recoil 110
    3.0 54* & Eye 2 58* Steelfiber i125
    2.0 B60 Stealth
  • chocolate_rehabchocolate_rehab plays like a girl Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't answer your question - but I will agree with you on how light they are. I liked them in the bay at PGA SS, but outdoors I didn't like them at all.

They head is incredibly light and felt like hitting a hollow pipe at impact. Definitely need to get these fitted because I feel like some people will need higher swingweights than stock and that'll change the shaft behavior.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* I Accra FX 2.0
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* 3w I Accra FX 2.0
    Ping G410 20* & 23* hybrids I Accra FX 2.0
    Srixon U85 5 - 26* I Oban Oi series
    Srixon Z585 6-GW I Oban Oi series
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES I Steelfiber i95r
    Edel Columbia Custom

Stop comparing your swing, speed, and distances to LPGA players. It's embarrassing for everyone.
  • sfdoddsysfdoddsy Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

They were on sale ??

Yep, got them for 20% off.
    Callaway Fusion Matrix
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    Ping G400 hybrid
    PXG irons
    PXG & Miura wedges
    Edel E3 putter
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tip weights...

Try lead tape first, see what weight works well for you, then add tip weights. They are cheap and not permanent.
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • Mr. WolfeMr. Wolfe Members Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Ping pulled licenses of any seller selling their clubs at a discount?

Mr. Wolfe
  • bluedotbluedot Members Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Wolfe wrote:

Mr. Wolfe

They do IF they catch the retailer doing that. No way of knowing what the OP was told, but I'd be surprised if a retailer discounted a new set from either Ping or Titleist; losing your account with them will cost you far more than the additional sales you might make on that club. And you WILL lose your account.
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nessism wrote:

Lead tape can be used to increase swingweight. I'd experiment that way to see if that helps with the problem before exploring options involving removing the screw and stuffing the head.

sound advice right here.
    Cobra King LTD UST Elements Chrome
    Taylormade '07 Burner 3 Wood Miyazaki B.Asha
    Taylormade '07 Burner 5 Wood Miyazaki B.Asha
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid Matrix Ozik Atlus
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Taylormade Project (a)
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bluedot wrote:

Mr. Wolfe wrote:

Mr. Wolfe

They do IF they catch the retailer doing that. No way of knowing what the OP was told, but I'd be surprised if a retailer discounted a new set from either Ping or Titleist; losing your account with them will cost you far more than the additional sales you might make on that club. And you WILL lose your account.

And Ping is very good at catching those retailers. I'm not sure why a retailer would be that stupid to discount a brand new release.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
    edited Apr 24, 2018 #15
    lawsonman wrote:

bluedot wrote:

Mr. Wolfe wrote:

Mr. Wolfe

And Ping is very good at catching those retailers. I'm not sure why a retailer would be that stupid to discount a brand new release.

The retailer was having a Masters sale and offering 10% of everything. I conned them into adding more since I am a regualr.

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

But back to the topic in hand.

Being the experimental type I removed the plug in the toe of the PW and did some exploration.

Firstly, the head is indeed hollow.

It is, however, not empty.

There is an amount of sticky stuff (hot melt?) in there that can be discovered adhering to things you insert. I assume that is how Ping swingweights them.

I resisted the temptation to go straight to squirting flexible low expansion foam into the hole.

Instead I have stuffed as much yarn as I could squeeze in.

It was a tedious process and I have no idea how much is in there or how much it weighs.

I’m going to take them out tomorrow and see if there isany difference in feel, sound or performance.

I hope not because I’m not looking forward to repeating the process with the other clubs.
    Callaway Fusion Matrix
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    Ping G400 hybrid
    PXG irons
    PXG & Miura wedges
    Edel E3 putter
  • DenZ06DenZ06 Members Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Took it out today. I only had a couple of shots with the wedge but I couldn't detect any real difference either positive or negative.

I'll try it again on the weekend.
    Callaway Fusion Matrix
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    Ping G400 hybrid
    PXG irons
    PXG & Miura wedges
    Edel E3 putter
  • Rippin6GearsRippin6Gears Members Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    You should add some speed foam that TM uses... I’m in debate to add some to a iron or 2
  • roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 479 ClubWRX
    I’d try the Golfworks Head Tac with Tungstwn Powder added to get the weight up. Otherwise I would think it would take a lot of the Head Tac alone to change the weight very much.

Rox
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
  • tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DONT TRY SPRAY FOAM !

I decided to try and fill my Gap wedge with "Great Stuff" spray urethane foam, didn't go so well.

The straw fit snugly into the hole, I then pressed the trigger for about 2 seconds, watched the foam go inside.

When I pulled the straw out,, BAM!!!!!! it blew all over my work bench and me. An hour later and one pissed off wife the garage was cleaned and very little in wedge.
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    You could add hotmelt (rat glue) inside the heads.

The screw comes out easily enough just use a driver wrench (T25 Torx) and that gives you access to the inside of the head.

When I say hotmelt I don’t mean the type you get from Bunnings for a craft project.

I’ve got a Champ 3 hotmelt gun and the “golf specific” hotmelt pellets to go with it, this is the same as what is used on Tour for swing weight/acoustic purposes etc.

This type of hotmelt doesn’t go hard and brittle, it stays tacky for the life of the glue.

• DblEglDblEgl Members Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much does the hot melt change the sound & feel of the 700 iron ? Any experience ?
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    DblEgl wrote:

How much does the hot melt change the sound & feel of the 700 iron ? Any experience ?

I haven’t done one yet, but based on experience having done driving iron hollow style clubs before it should make a big difference to the acoustics.

Must lower resonant frequency at lower amplitude, so softer and lower pitch 😉
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn’t a heavier screw be added ?

Callaway Epic Flash 12*
    Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h
    Ping G700 6-UW
    Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Handicap: 10.8

Does anyone know if Ping will re swing weight the G700 irons?

I measured my set (-1/4") and the 6i SW was a C7 which is a bit on the light side. Would prefer a D1.

Callaway Epic Flash 12*
    Ping G700 6-UW

@erock9174 said:
    Does anyone know if Ping will re swing weight the G700 irons?

I measured my set (-1/4") and the 6i SW was a C7 which is a bit on the light side. Would prefer a D1.

To answer my own question, I called Ping and he said that they will not re-swing weight the G700 irons.
    He said that if you ordered them new, there is a chance they could adjust the heel and toe weights that are inside the head to try and get it as close as possible to your desired SW.

Callaway Epic Flash 12*
    Ping G700 6-UW

• WaytallWaytall Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

Really want someone to put spray foam in one of these. May not add much in weight, but I bet it would sound so much better

• animalgolfsanimalgolfs FL & OK Members Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't someone fill these completely with hot melt? Or some type of filler..... I know I've read that on here

G400 Max 9* Tour 65
    G400 14.5* Tour 75
    G400h 19* Tour 85
    G Crossover 21* Tour 85{410 on the way} 
    G700 5i & 6i Recoil 110 
    i500 7-UW Recoil 110
    3.0 54* & Eye 2 58* Steelfiber i125
    2.0 B60 Stealth
  • denkeadenkea Members Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭

I have a G700 5 iron that I used with my set of i200s. The screw was loose so I took it out and decided to add some tungsten powder to add some swing weight. Easy peasy and no rattle or movement in the head. It changed the impact sound for the better and now have a swing weight that I'd prefer.

@denkea said:
    I have a G700 5 iron that I used with my set of i200s. The screw was loose so I took it out and decided to add some tungsten powder to add some swing weight. Easy peasy and no rattle or movement in the head. It changed the impact sound for the better and now have a swing weight that I'd prefer.

When you use tungsten powder do you have to glue it in place ? Or does it just move freely inside the head?

Callaway Epic Flash 12*
    Ping G700 6-UW

• Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

On my i500’s I used the head tack from Golfworks. It worked great. It flows easier if it’s warm.

It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file