Pro V1 has too much spin???

wrossmwrossm Members Posts: 23
need new ball suggestions
For the past few months i've been playing (and losing) pro v1s. I'm an 18 hcp and right now the driver is easily my most inconsistent club. I can usually hit the ball around 270-280 when i catch it right, but my typical miss is anywhere from a slight push to a big, high slice. From 7 iron in i'm very comfortable, my swing plane is fairly upright so it lends it self to mid to short irons. I'm starting to think that the pro v1 may just have too much spin for my inconsistent long game, and could be aiding my slice.

I've hit a few cheap 2 piece balls and the slice seems to be less pronounced, but I hate the way they feel on and around the green. So i'm looking for suggestions, I'd like a reasonably priced ball w/ a bit less spin than the pro v, but still feels decent on the short game; i'm willing to sacrafice some distance for better accuracy. Appreciate any reccomendations!!!

thanks!

Comments

• longballjslongballjs Members Posts: 1,454
    Well i know you want a cheaper ball, but the ProVX is a great ball. If you go to a 2 piece you will hit it straighter and give up a lot of green-side feel and green-holding ability from the fairway, but will get that price reduction. I think the best of the hard balls is the NXT Tour, just my opinion.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5 Fujikura Pro Green 62 xstiff

Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Evnroll ER 5
  • PurePursuit PurePursuit Members Posts: 2,237
    Tour IX, TM LDP Red...Bridgestone E series...
  • odshot68odshot68 Members Posts: 7,827 ✭✭
    I also like the Pro V1X. But when I need less side spin, without losing distance, or when its cold and windy I like the DT solo and the Callaway HX Hot. I know the solo is for slower swing speeds but it just feels great ...even when chipping. FYI - these wont spin like the X on the short game...and not even close to the original Pro V...
    Mizuno ST 190G Fuji Atmos Black 6X Tour Spec
    Mizuno ST 190 3TS Fuji Atmos Black 6X Tour Spec
    Vokey SM7 56S, 60L DG S200 
    Bettinardi BB29 
  • golfdad907golfdad907 Play fast, have fun Members Posts: 3,101
    e5+, HX Bite, Precept iq180
    2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
    RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
    RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
    XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
    Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
    Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
    X Forged C Grind 52*
    PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
    Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
    Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year
  • Tiger8Tiger8 ClubWRX Posts: 296
    Try the Taylor made Burner TP ball or the Srixon AD 333.
  • wrossmwrossm Members Posts: 23
    What are the main differences between the e5 and e6. I know the e6 is designed to be hit straight for people who tend to slice or hook, and I like the sound of that, but how soft is it? I have a pretty fast swing speed and don't want to be hitting a sponge.
  • The E6 is average. Not bad, just not great. I agree that the V1X is still the all around best ball out there.
  • golfdad907golfdad907 Play fast, have fun Members Posts: 3,101
    wrossm wrote on May 2 2008, 09:26 AM:
    What are the main differences between the e5 and e6. I know the e6 is designed to be hit straight for people who tend to slice or hook, and I like the sound of that, but how soft is it? I have a pretty fast swing speed and don't want to be hitting a sponge.

e6 isn't a player's (sic) ball, it's for reducing side spin. e5+, much improved version of e5, 330 dimple pattern, urethane cover, long. Lots of peeps swtich since it's 20 to 25 a dozen instead of 42 to 45 like the new premiums are.
    2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
    RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
    RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
    XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
    Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
    Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
    X Forged C Grind 52*
    PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
    Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
    Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year
  • rliujrrliujr Members Posts: 22
    The Top-Flite Gamer would be a very nice ball for you to try. Soft compression of 65 with a fairly soft cover that can hold greens and 3 piece construction....all for $14.99-$19.99 for a dozen. At those prices, wayward shots just don't seem to hurt as much. image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />
  • KevinVBKevinVB Members Posts: 11
    I have played dozens of ProV's, Nike One's, and tried out the E6 just recently. I liked the ball very much and will probably continue to play it. I didn't try it out to reduce side spin...I hit a pretty straight ball and it's still pretty straight. In my opinion, it also has a soft feel on all shots. The ball cover is susceptible to full wedge shots though, so keep that in mind if it that type of thing bothers you.