2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wisconsin 40th bday golf trip

hbrar99

Hello, wanted to ask the advice of those on familiar with the area. I am planning a trip for my brother's 40th next year. Either 2 or 4 of us, we are coming from California going to try to have 7 days to play golf. Hoping to arrive in Milwaukee on a Saturday and leave the following Sunday.

My question is whether you would recommend playing Erin Hills, 2 courses at Sand Valley and all 4 Kohler courses or just play Erin Hills and the kohler courses, trying to play a few twice? Would the driving and travel be too much to go to all 3 resorts? Is there a course at Kohler that you would recommend skipping if needed? Where at Kohler would you recommend staying?

We are Bandon Dunes faithful, having gone the last 6 years and planning on going again next year. Does Sand Valley share any similarities? It seems to be the furthest out, so I am trying to decide if it is worth it this trip.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know its a long way off, but I like planning early to make sure we can get to everywhere we would like to. Thank you.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested to hear the responses to this as I am also looking to plan a trip to Wisconsin next year for our group!

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Although there's some significant driving involved, you could play Erin Hills, the Sand Valley Courses and finish up at Kohler. WIth 4 courses, you definitely want to play Kohler and they're all top notch courses. Stay at the Inn on Woodlake as it's a lower cost options and you're really only using the room for sleeping and showering.

Such a great dilemma to have. Coming from California, you are best off knocking them all off at once. Next year both courses at Sand Valley may very well be top 20 courses on Golf Digest top public if that is something that matters to you. They are better than the RIver and the Irish at WS. If you are up for the driving, I would say you have to go to SV. I think having Bandon experience makes it even more inviting. Though, I heard that about Streamsong too, and got my hopes up big time comparing it to Bandon and was let down (Streamsong is great, just not Bandon.)

Lastly, I will say this. I had a caddie at a more recent trip at Streamsong, who caddied at Bandon for years, before moving to Streamsong winters and Sand Valley summers, he said that Mammoth Dunes is the best course he has ever stepped foot on, better than Pacific and Bandon. I haven't played Mammoth yet as this is its first full year, but I am very excited for it.

Live in the area and have played them all (well, most of Mammoth as all the holes weren't open last August). Sand Valley and Mammoth are super cool, and are probably worth the drive if you're not crunched for time. Never been to Bandon, but Sand Valley is pretty in the middle of nowhere and I thought it had a vibe similar to Streamsong.

As far as the Kohler courses, the Meadow Valley is probably the weakest of the 4, but only because the front is pretty lackluster. The Irish course has probably 12-13 great holes, a couple that are so-so, and a couple that just don't fit the course at all. The Straits, the River, and Erin Hills I would consider must plays for a serious trip if cost isn't an issue. If you are here when Blackwolf is offering the "Championship Course," which is a hybrid of the River and Meadow Valley, that might be the best course in the state!

Sorry I'm no help with lodging... really depends on what you're looking to spend. If you want to branch out from your listed courses for any reason, Lawsonia is about an hour and twenty minutes, and has two solid courses (the Links is one of the coolest architecture-wise in the state) that can be great depending on condition.

I would think about a couple days in and around MIlwaukee. Erin Hills is worth playing twice, and close enough that you can stay in the city if you want and catch a Brewers game. Also, have heard great things about the Bull at Pinehurst Farms up near Kohler. Maybe an alternate to one of the Blackwolf Run courses. I didn't play Meadows, but I wasn't a fan of River, especially when compared to the WS courses and EH. American Club isn't all that. I would do the Inn at Woodlake next time.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I have golfed all 4 Kohler courses along with Erin Hills and have Sand Valley scheduled for this summer. As others have mentioned, I would head up to Kohler and start with Irish and MV, good courses but nothing spectacular. Follow those up with the Straits and the River before heading over to SV. Wrap up the trip at Erin Hills and you'll have a memorable trip!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

Hello, wanted to ask the advice of those on familiar with the area. I am planning a trip for my brother's 40th next year. Either 2 or 4 of us, we are coming from California going to try to have 7 days to play golf. Hoping to arrive in Milwaukee on a Saturday and leave the following Sunday.

My question is whether you would recommend playing Erin Hills, 2 courses at Sand Valley and all 4 Kohler courses or just play Erin Hills and the kohler courses, trying to play a few twice? Would the driving and travel be too much to go to all 3 resorts? Is there a course at Kohler that you would recommend skipping if needed? Where at Kohler would you recommend staying?

We are Bandon Dunes faithful, having gone the last 6 years and planning on going again next year. Does Sand Valley share any similarities? It seems to be the furthest out, so I am trying to decide if it is worth it this trip.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know its a long way off, but I like planning early to make sure we can get to everywhere we would like to. Thank you.

I'll add my .02 cents. I've made the trip to Wisconsin and the Kohler area for the last 5 years and are planning on going back again in July.

Erin Hills is (in my opinion), one of the best golf courses in the country. I would play it every day if I could and not tire of it. So, my trip would either start or end here. It is just a little outside of Milwaukee, so it is a good first or last option. One year we stayed in Germantown at a Country Inn/Suites and it was about a 30 min drive to Erin. The last 3 years we have stayed at an Americinn in Hartford, WI. It is only about 15 min from Erin. Of course, for more money you can stay on site, and they do offer some replay deals that you may want to check out.

Then I will rank my favs in the Kohler/Sheboygan area: 1) Blackwolf Run-River, 2) Whistling Straits-Straits, 3)The Bull at Pinehurst Farms, 4) Blackwolf Run-Meadows Valley and 5) Whistling Straits-The Irish. Many will have problems with this ranking, but I must say the first 2 are 1 and 1A. They are both really good courses and fun to play. I guess I just prefer the look and woodsy-ness of The River course over the Straits. But the Straits is big, bold and in your face. Beautiful to look at on a sunny day and golf course you will remember the rest of your life. I like Meadows Valley more than The Irish due to its "enjoyment" factor. The Irish (to me) is a difficult battle and I am always worn out at the end of the round.

I have not played the courses at Sand Valley, but have them on my trip for this summer. I have played both Streamsong courses, so I'm expecting something similar.

As for where to stay, the Inn on the Woodlake is a great option when in the Kohler area. It is really no more expensive than staying at a Holiday Inn Express but the showers are worth the money. Plus there is a putting green right next to the hotel where you guys can hang out when not golfing and there is a golf shop with simulator right next to the hotel. The Inn on the Woodlake has free breakfast that is pretty decent or you will be near The Woodlake Market where you can get a great breakfast for just a few bucks. (most people don't know about this option).

Feel free to PM me if you need any details.

Did this exact trip beginning of Sept 17. As mentioned above you cant go wrong, all great. As noted dont stay at the american club. Not worth it. Also depending on time of year dont leave the premier course for the twilight round to get a better deal. Both days I did 36 at Kohler If I had wanted to play the Straits or the River course in the afternoon I would not have finished. You cant book a replay teetime, it is first come first served. I understand that generally there is no problem in non peak times, but I was very happy I had booked Straits and River first thing in the morning. It just costs more. FWIW Im eyeing an return in the fall here is my plan:

Skip Kohler (Although I am going to try and play the BWR River on my getaway day, I liked it more than WS)

Erin Hills 36 IMO the best of the bunch (Drop the coin to stay on property, it is its own world. Really special IMO)

Sand Hills 2 days 72 holes

Lawsonia links

Milwaukee CC (An offer to play here precipitated this trip....)

How much golf are you looking to play? You've got Erin Hills, Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, WS Straits, WS Irish, BR River, and BR Meadow Valley. Beyond that, you should play Lawsonia Links between Sand Valley and Kohler. We could also point you to a few other courses that wouldn't be a waste of time in the Madison, Wisconsin Dells, Sheboygan, and Milwaukee areas as well.

If you were to go straight through, you could do the following:

Sunday - Erin Hills, drive to Sand Valley

Monday - Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes

Tuesday - Drive to Lawsonia, Lawsonia Links, drive to Kohler

Wednesday - WS or BR pair

Thursday - Other Kohler

That obviously leaves two days to either play more golf or spread things out a bit.

How much golf are you looking to play? You've got Erin Hills, Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, WS Straits, WS Irish, BR River, and BR Meadow Valley. Beyond that, you should play Lawsonia Links between Sand Valley and Kohler. We could also point you to a few other courses that wouldn't be a waste of time in the Madison, Wisconsin Dells, Sheboygan, and Milwaukee areas as well.

If you were to go straight through, you could do the following:

Sunday - Erin Hills, drive to Sand Valley

Monday - Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes

Tuesday - Drive to Lawsonia, Lawsonia Links, drive to Kohler

Wednesday - WS or BR pair

Thursday - Other Kohler

That obviously leaves two days to either play more golf or spread things out a bit.

Man, I am jealous of this.

This is awesome, I appreciate it. We have a few logistical issues with the other guys joining as they may not be able to come out for the whole trip and I know they would want to make it to Kohler as it is a bucket list item. But if they can't make it out for the entire trip, I am thinking something like this

Saturday - arrive in Milwaukee, head to Erin Hills and maybe play Kettle loop. Stay on site.

Sunday - Play Erin Hills and then head to SV and play the sandbox depending on time

Monday - 36 at SV

Tuesday 36 at SV

Wednesday - Head to Kohler. Possibly play lawsonia links on the way. Rest of the group to fly in an meet at Kohler. Alternately, can go straight to Kohler and play the Irish after lunch and skip Lawsonia links.

Thursday - WS or BR. Possible replay in the afternoon or just take some down time.

Friday - BR or WS and drive back to Erin Hills

Saturday - Play Erin Hills, possibly replay again.

Sunday - Fly home.

If our guys can make it for the entire week, I think we would do something like this:

Saturday - Arrive in Milwaukee and drive to Kohler

Sunday - WS or BR

Monday - Br or WS, possible replay at another course there

Tuesday - Either WS or drive to Lawsonia Links. After the round, head to SV

Wednesday - 36 at SV

Thursday - 36 at SV

Friday - Head to Erin Hills, play around lunch.

Saturday - 36 at Erin Hills

Sunday - Fly home.

We really enjoy playing courses twice when we go on our trips. I feel that the first time I play a bucket list course, I am just in awe of the course. I enjoy a second chance at them and then I remember the course more so. Truthfully, I am the most excited to play Erin Hills and want to play as much as possible there.

Going to Kohler first seems ideal, but I am not certain that the others in my group will be able to make it out for the entire trip and playing whistling straights is a must. As far our lodging, we really just want something comfortable and at the course. Erin Hills and SV look great in that the lodging is at the courses. Kohler looks like it is more of resort that has world class golf nearby. Reminds me a bit of Pebble Beach, where a large number of the people staying there are not golfers.

Cost is going to be what it is. My brother took me to St. Andrews for my 40th, so I won't spare any expenses that I can afford for his 40th. We played 9 rounds in 6 days out there, but we stayed at Rusacks the entire time. 9/10 rounds may be ambitious over 7 days with the driving, but with caddies I am sure we will be fine.

In most of your opinions, would you skip the Irish / Meadows at Kohler for Lawsonia Links or The Bull at Pinehurst Farms?

Saturday - arrive in Milwaukee, head to Erin Hills and maybe play Kettle loop. Stay on site.

In most of your opinions, would you skip the Irish / Meadows at Kohler for Lawsonia Links or The Bull at Pinehurst Farms?

If you're looking for a full 18 near Erin Hills, instead of the 5-hole Kettle Loop, you could look at Washington County Golf Course in Hartford. It is the forerunner of Erin Hills, and you could consider it an excellent warmup for EH. It could make your list on its own, as it is in a class with Lawsonia and the Bull.

This is awesome, I appreciate it. We have a few logistical issues with the other guys joining as they may not be able to come out for the whole trip and I know they would want to make it to Kohler as it is a bucket list item. But if they can't make it out for the entire trip, I am thinking something like this

Sunday - Play Erin Hills and then head to SV and play the sandbox depending on time

Monday - 36 at SV

Tuesday 36 at SV

Wednesday - Head to Kohler. Possibly play lawsonia links on the way. Rest of the group to fly in an meet at Kohler. Alternately, can go straight to Kohler and play the Irish after lunch and skip Lawsonia links.

Thursday - WS or BR. Possible replay in the afternoon or just take some down time.

Friday - BR or WS and drive back to Erin Hills

Saturday - Play Erin Hills, possibly replay again.

Sunday - Fly home.

If our guys can make it for the entire week, I think we would do something like this:

Saturday - Arrive in Milwaukee and drive to Kohler

Sunday - WS or BR

Monday - Br or WS, possible replay at another course there

Tuesday - Either WS or drive to Lawsonia Links. After the round, head to SV

Wednesday - 36 at SV

Thursday - 36 at SV

Friday - Head to Erin Hills, play around lunch.

Saturday - 36 at Erin Hills

Sunday - Fly home.

We really enjoy playing courses twice when we go on our trips. I feel that the first time I play a bucket list course, I am just in awe of the course. I enjoy a second chance at them and then I remember the course more so. Truthfully, I am the most excited to play Erin Hills and want to play as much as possible there.

Going to Kohler first seems ideal, but I am not certain that the others in my group will be able to make it out for the entire trip and playing whistling straights is a must. As far our lodging, we really just want something comfortable and at the course. Erin Hills and SV look great in that the lodging is at the courses. Kohler looks like it is more of resort that has world class golf nearby. Reminds me a bit of Pebble Beach, where a large number of the people staying there are not golfers.

Cost is going to be what it is. My brother took me to St. Andrews for my 40th, so I won't spare any expenses that I can afford for his 40th. We played 9 rounds in 6 days out there, but we stayed at Rusacks the entire time. 9/10 rounds may be ambitious over 7 days with the driving, but with caddies I am sure we will be fine.

Out of curiosity, do you walk all your rounds now? Erin Hills is a very healthy 7-9 mile walk with a ton of elevation changes. Sand Valley is also walking only as is Whistling Straits. You might consider your scheduling in such a way that if you're not used to walking 15 miles a day for 2 rounds that you space that out a bit.

You will have someone over 40 you know.

Great trip. IMO, you'd be doing yourself a massive disservice if you didn't play Lawsonia Links. I personally believe it's the best course in the State and Golfweek nearly agrees with me as they have ranked it #2 in the State behind only Whistling Straits the last couple years. Yep, they have Lawsonia ahead of EH and all the other expensive courses in the State other than WS.

Golf magazine gave it the best praise when they said Lawsonia had the best green complexes in the entire country. That's some pretty impressive praise.

The price at peak is only $90-$95 and you can get an all day rate for $130 I think. The other course, the Woodlands, is also an amazing course and totally different from the Links in that it is cut out of the woods and you rarely see another hole other than the one you are playing. A whole day at Lawsonia would only enhance your trip, but even if you can just play the Links it is still worth it. And it is centrally located between SV and Kohler.

Haha, we will all be over 40. I think we should be ok, but I would be lying if I didn't think it may be too much. We just got back from Bandon and walked 7 rounds plus 2 days on the preserve over 5 days and carried our own bags. 9 rounds over 6 days was the most we have done in Scotland, but we used caddies. We will plan on using caddies on the trip. Its an aggressive plan, but we both have young kids and I am not sure that we will make it back to the Wisconsin anytime soon, so we are looking get as much golf in. We have our annual Bandon trip and try to make it somewhere new every year as well, but its getting harder with the kids growing up so fast. Honestly am more concerned with driving between resorts. After playing, we are used to going back to a lodge and relaxing. But I'll take being tired for the week after vs the memories of playing with my brother.

I have played all of them, many times, except for SV...just once each course there and only the partial opening last yr of Mammoth.

Everyone will have different opinions because players like different kinds of courses.

You have a great schedule...I just offer input on your last question about a final round. For me--would rank the final options as follows

1) Lawsonia--different and unique experience vs the others. I am confident you will enjoy it

2) The Irish or Meadows Valley--you can review the courses online and pick the style you like best

3) Depending on which courses you have only played once, play a second round at EH, WS or SV

Last for me would be the Bull...if you love Nicklaus courses, you might really like it, but if you take in the whole state it would not be on any list for me

Just a note...SV is incredibly good for just opening (for example, SV now vs EH when it first opened...no comparison...SV much better condition), but it will be "rough" on the edges vs the others. Nevertheless, unless you know you will be back, do NOT miss it

Just my two cents, others will have different lists

Also, laughing a bit on Erin Hills walking comments above. On one trip, one of our group had a monitor on that measured all kinds of stuff--steps, distance walked, etc, but also total elevation change for the round. He claimed it recorded a total of the equivalent of 110 stories!! Can't vouch for accuracy, but I do know it is tough if you aren't hitting it straight