Mizuno ST 180 Driver

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers  7274WRX Points: 582Handicap: 1.8Posts: 7,274 Titanium Tees
    tsecor wrote:

tsecor wrote:

tsecor wrote:

do you like the blue?

Blue is my favorite color, so yes, I actually love the blue.

Just need to get my earplugs out of my gun case I guess.
    I almost bought this driver but the blue was almost overpowering to the eye. I love the mizuno brand and color scheme but for some reason the brightness of the crown took away from my focus. I'm sure id get used to it, but was curious how you liked it. Thanks

From a purely cosmetic basis, I think the color and the classic pear shape deep face design of my Titleist 917 d3 is more pleasing to my eye, but I don’t find the blue distracting at all. The new TS3 is definitely going to be purchased this fall unless the reviews are terrible, but I thought I’d test the ST180 for fun since the reviews have been quite good. I hit my 917 great and I love it so I doubt the MIzzy will challenge it, but you never know. I was bored and found a good deal on it so I couldn’t help myself. Total WRX move.

I can’t stand Pings whacked out titulators and drangonfly garbage, TM’s two tone paint, Callaways trianglular shape, f8’s new messy crown, So you definitely could call me picky. I won’t even try any of those based on looks alone. I literally hate them. Matte blue and a pleasing overall shape is no problem for me at all.

I’ll post how it goes with the new shaft in it later this week.

Me swinging a 45 inch 80x shaft vs my normal 43.5” 70 TX shaft really didnt tell me too much except that the potential was very good. I always forget how much I hate 45 or 45.5 inch shafts until I hit them again. Yuck.
    That's hilarious..lol....you sound like me with the looks thing....I play a 910D3 and haven't found anything that looks or feels as good.....but the 180 was the only shape/design that really gave me pause to think about replacing the 910.

if you get a TS and want to offload the Mizzy.....remember me......image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Sure thing. I’ll put a sticky note on my screen with your name. Only issue. I do plan on adding some hot melt to it if I like it after testing it with lead tape for a couple weeks.

If I add 10 grams of hot melt it will play about D-3 at 44”. I always make up my heads to be played at 44” and D-2 to D-4. I actually play mine at 43.5” and D-2 but I add the remainder of the 4 grams of weight with lead tape for resale issues since not many people want to go lower than 44”. Of course for those who do want to play it shorter a head that’s already hot melted is an instant sale.

Is this a deal killer or would you be interested in it playing 44”?? It should also get the sound down quite a bit.
    Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    PXG gen 1 tours 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Members  623WRX Points: 157Handicap: <8Posts: 623 Golden Tee
    tsecor wrote:

I almost bought this driver but the blue was almost overpowering to the eye. I love the mizuno brand and color scheme but for some reason the brightness of the crown took away from my focus. I'm sure id get used to it, but was curious how you liked it. Thanks

Give it a few months and the blue will be going away. The next line will be the dark color like the current CLK hybrids. Otherwise, the blue on the course is not even a thought for many, especially since the head is so good.
    Posted:
    nflam-button.png
  • tobybeartobybear Members, Media Staffer  1502WRX Points: 95Posts: 1,502 Platinum Tees
    I love this driver, having played previous models with the moving weights with great success I was happy to have a driver with just hosel adjustments again. For no other reason than simplicity.

Very low spin, sounds great, as for the colour I dont even think about it.
    Posted:
  • Zakers23Zakers23 Members  117WRX Points: 37Handicap: 7Posts: 117 Bunkers

tsecor wrote:

tsecor wrote:

do you like the blue?

From a purely cosmetic basis, I think the color and the classic pear shape deep face design of my Titleist 917 d3 is more pleasing to my eye, but I don’t find the blue distracting at all. The new TS3 is definitely going to be purchased this fall unless the reviews are terrible, but I thought I’d test the ST180 for fun since the reviews have been quite good. I hit my 917 great and I love it so I doubt the MIzzy will challenge it, but you never know. I was bored and found a good deal on it so I couldn’t help myself. Total WRX move.

I can’t stand Pings whacked out titulators and drangonfly garbage, TM’s two tone paint, Callaways trianglular shape, f8’s new messy crown, So you definitely could call me picky. I won’t even try any of those based on looks alone. I literally hate them. Matte blue and a pleasing overall shape is no problem for me at all.

Me swinging a 45 inch 80x shaft vs my normal 43.5” 70 TX shaft really didnt tell me too much except that the potential was very good. I always forget how much I hate 45 or 45.5 inch shafts until I hit them again. Yuck.

I’m sorry but you sound like a snob
    Posted:
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers  7274WRX Points: 582Handicap: 1.8Posts: 7,274 Titanium Tees
    Zakers23 wrote:

tsecor wrote:

tsecor wrote:

do you like the blue?

I’m sorry but you sound like a snob

Really? Because I know exactly what I like and what I dislike and I enjoy trying new equipment that I really don’t need?

Welcome to WRX Newbie. Better get used to it if you stick around because there are a few hundred thousand members just like me in this forum...LOL!!
    Posted:
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members  4720WRX Points: 493Posts: 4,720 Titanium Tees

Sure thing. I’ll put a sticky note on my screen with your name. Only issue. I do plan on adding some hot melt to it if I like it after testing it with lead tape for a couple weeks.

If I add 10 grams of hot melt it will play about D-3 at 44”. I always make up my heads to be played at 44” and D-2 to D-4. I actually play mine at 43.5” and D-2 but I add the remainder of the 4 grams of weight with lead tape for resale issues since not many people want to go lower than 44”. Of course for those who do want to play it shorter a head that’s already hot melted is an instant sale.

Is this a deal killer or would you be interested in it playing 44”?? It should also get the sound down quite a bit.
    id have to think about that. I like the shorter shaft, but I normally do not add anything to my weights. Keep me posted though
    Posted:

Advertisement
    tsecor wrote:

id have to think about that. I like the shorter shaft, but I normally do not add anything to my weights. Keep me posted though

Really? Wow. Interesting.

I’d never consider playing my most important club at a significantly lighter swingweight than every other club in my bag.

I’d think that would be really odd having just one club with a super light feeling head. Would surely mess with my tempo. Each to his own I guess.
    Posted:
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members  1342WRX Points: 202Handicap: 12Posts: 1,342 Platinum Tees
    Zakers23 wrote:

I'm sorry but you sound like a snob

...or maybe just sounds like somebody who knows what he likes and what he doesn't?
    Posted:
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members  4720WRX Points: 493Posts: 4,720 Titanium Tees

tsecor wrote:

Really? Wow. Interesting.

I’d never consider playing my most important club at a significantly lighter swingweight than every other club in my bag.

I’d think that would be really odd having just one club with a super light feeling head. Would surely mess with my tempo. Each to his own I guess.
    sounds strange but after a few swings you adapt to whats in your hands. Maybe I'm just not that good to notice! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • WooPigWooPig ArkansasMembers  442WRX Points: 31Handicap: 5.7Posts: 442 Greens
    I had a chance to hit a few balls with this today, I really liked it. Also tested a M4 and didn’t notice the Mizuno being any louder than the TM, maybe the shop I hit at has really good acoustics.

I’m still going to wait until the Titleist TS series comes out before I buy anything, but this is my favorite of the ones I’ve tried lately.

Cobra F8, Srixon z765, TM M4, 917d2, and I just sold an Epic.
    Posted:
    Srixon Z785 9.5- Tensei Pro Orange 70S
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ 3 wood- Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75S
    Titleist 818 H2 17- Fujikura Atmos Blue S
    Titleist 818 H2 21- Fujikura Atmos Blue S
    Mizuno MP 18 (5-pw)- DG S300
    Vokey SM7 50*- DG S200
    Vokey SM7 54*- DG S200
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 58*- KBS Tour V 125
    Bettinardi '17 Studio Stock 8
  • HuskerDevil_1HuskerDevil_1 Members  111WRX Points: 25Handicap: 4.8Posts: 111 Fairways
    Great driver
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88 Members  1089WRX Points: 126Posts: 1,089 Platinum Tees
    Just got mine back from my builder and out today (no numbers just junk range balls). It is a flat bomb monster. I’m playing it at 9.5 with the Tensei PO TX tipped 0.5” and 45.5 length, SW right around D4 (May need to add a little tape and get it to D6 where I usually player driver). But this combo today was just point and shoot.
    Posted:
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX tipped 1”
    SIM TI 3 (actual 15.4; set one click lower) w/Tensei Pro White 80 TX tipped 1.5”
    Miura MB 001 3-PW w/ PX LZ 7.0
    Taylormade MG Bronze 52.09, 56.12, 60.09 (all with Blackout PX LZ 6.5)
    Taylormade Spider X/ Toulon Las Vegas
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Course dependent: 3 iron replace with -  SIM Rescue 19 w/PW 90TX; P790 UDI w/ PX LZ 7.0; TI M2 5 wood w/D+ LTD 90TX

• 0psi0psi Members  72WRX Points: 0Posts: 72
    Anyone know of a chart that shows face angle for the various lofts?

Looking at possibly getting one but can't stand a closed face and everything suggests it sits a bit closed. I would be looking at using it in about 8-8.5 degrees so hoping that's enough to square it up a bit.
    Posted:
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping G400. Ping Tour 65 X.[/font]
    Titleist 917 F3. Fujikura Pro 73 X.
    Mizuno MP H4 3 iron. DG X100
    Mizuno MP 53 4-PW. DG X100
    Mizuno T7. 50, 55, 60. DG X100
    Bettinardi Inovai
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers  3682WRX Points: 611Handicap: 6Posts: 3,682 Titanium Tees
    Anyone here use the HL head paired with a low launch/spin shaft? Plan on trying the 180HL head with my Speeder 661x from the jpx 900 gamer.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-P C-Taper 130X (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno S18 50, 55, 60 C-Taper 130X soft stepped (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

• evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members  2013WRX Points: 163Posts: 2,013 Platinum Tees

Anyone here use the HL head paired with a low launch/spin shaft? Plan on trying the 180HL head with my Speeder 661x from the jpx 900 gamer.

I did this and the loft is your friend on the HL version of the HL. I had a 757S, 661S, and a Mitsu Tensei Blue 60S in this head and had good to great results. I really liked the Tensei Blue with this head. From memory for my 108-109 mph driver SS, I was getting just under 1900 with the 757, 2200-2400 with the 661, and 2200-2400 spin with he Tensei Blue. The 661 was my gamer for most of the end of last season with this head and my last year gamer in the JPX900 head. On the LM I remember noticing that same for same the HL was giving me the same spin numbers set to 10.5 as the JPX900 at 9.5 using the same shafts in comparison. I think you will be fine and if anything can always loft down to 10.5, and higher if needed for the traj/spin your looking for.

The only reason I de-bagged the 180 HL was I didn't particularly ever get comfortable with the way the head looks behind the ball at address. Its longer in top view profile than the 900...fod for thought if your like me and like the big but less longer type drivers at set up. Good luck and let us know how you go.
    Posted:

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• BeardedberkBeardedberk Members  61WRX Points: 37Handicap: 10.5Posts: 61 Bunkers
    I just replaced my M1 2017 440 with the st180

Loving it so far but fk me it is loud but I don't mind it to much now
    Posted:
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Mizuno ST180 9.5 Aldila Rogue 95 MSI Stiff Shaft
    Mizuno ST180 Fairway 15 & 18 Tensei Blue Regular Shaft
    Mizuno CLK 21 Fujikura Speedster Evo HB Regular Shaft
    Mizuno MP-5 S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 3 52/11 Black W Grind & 58/10 PM Grind

Scotty Cameron Newport Select M2 34" Putter
    Mizuno Pro Cart Bag
    Wilson Staff DX2 Balls
    [/font]

Advertisement
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers  3682WRX Points: 611Handicap: 6Posts: 3,682 Titanium Tees
    Just need a little more launch angle yet I want to keep the face square. Can’t wait to try it!
    Posted:
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

• Sparky14Sparky14 San Clemente CAMembers  466WRX Points: 185Handicap: 4Posts: 466 Greens
    I've got both the standard and HL heads. And 5 shafts to rotate between them. I'll never get through all the permutations.

On the launch monitor, the standard head launches too low. But on the course, it seems just right. Haven't had the HL long enough to get on the LM, maybe tomorrow.
    Posted:
  • kess13kess13 So I just put the ball in the hole... Members  1354WRX Points: 142Posts: 1,354 Platinum Tees
    I'm hitting my blue f7+ better than ever after sticking in a new V2 and cranking it down to 8.5 with the weight forward. So of course that has me looking for more. The st180's can be had for cheap now and Im a sucker for blue and mizuno. Anything between these or a lateral move?
    Posted:
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
    Classic #3
  • Sparky14Sparky14 San Clemente CAMembers  466WRX Points: 185Handicap: 4Posts: 466 Greens
    kess13 wrote:

I'm hitting my blue f7+ better than ever after sticking in a new V2 and cranking it down to 8.5 with the weight forward. So of course that has me looking for more. The st180's can be had for cheap now and Im a sucker for blue and mizuno. Anything between these or a lateral move?

I'd say lateral move on that one. The ST180 might be a hair better, but the F7+s moveable weights can help you fine tune. The F7+ sounds a bit better too. I don't think anything out right now is significantly better than the F7s. If they didn't have the paint issues, I'd still be playing the F7.
    Posted:
  • kess13kess13 So I just put the ball in the hole... Members  1354WRX Points: 142Posts: 1,354 Platinum Tees
    Sparky14 wrote:

kess13 wrote:

I'd say lateral move on that one. The ST180 might be a hair better, but the F7+s moveable weights can help you fine tune. The F7+ sounds a bit better too. I don't think anything out right now is significantly better than the F7s. If they didn't have the paint issues, I'd still be playing the F7.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Posted:
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
    Classic #3

Advertisement
    Took the st180 to the range for the first time yesterday. Even hitting range rocks it sounded better than I expected so I appreciate everyone talking it down! Not sure I am getting any more distance until I get out on the course but I do love the feel. Very dense. Also a forgiving head.
    Posted:
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
    Classic #3
    how is the head forgiving? in what way?
    Posted:
    Think like Ping. Max MOI with weight in the back
    Posted:
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

Think like Ping. Max MOI with weight in the back

Except the weight in the back of the ST180 is essentially nothing - just 2g. Almost just a decoration whereas it's substantial in the G400. That is easily remedied in the Mizuno head since you can use TaylorMade weights back there---->Custom Adjustment

That being said, the ST180 head does have an incredible feel. I liked it when I tried it for a few rounds, but just had awful dispersion with the Tensei Blue which led me to the G400LS with the Tour shaft. The switch was easy, but if I had more time to experiment with shafts, it would have been nice to find a better one for the Mizuno.
    Posted:
    nflam-button.png
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members  5738WRX Points: 336Handicap: 8Posts: 5,738 Titanium Tees
    What does the stock head weigh without the adapter? I have a new, in plastic, ST180 head in my office at work, but I can't get my hands on it till I return next Friday. I was able to also get my hands on an OG Diamana Kai'Li 70 X - Ion new uncut and pristine!! Never been this excited about a driver. Curious how it will compare to my F7 Copperhead combo I'm using now.

BT
    Posted:
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge

Advertisement
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers  2197WRX Points: 332Posts: 2,197 Platinum Tees
    Got one of these up for my son because he liked the blue head. Great way to choose a driver, right? He is absolutely killing it! So much so I'm thinking of getting a tip and trying one of my shafts in it. Lol
    Posted:
    I have a st 180 hl head in plastic with adapter. Hit one ball lol
    Posted:
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

tsecor wrote:

how is the head forgiving? in what way?

I was getting solid distance away from center of the face and nothing drifted far off line except when my swing was to blame. Caught a couple thin and it might be one of the most forgiving low on the face I've hit. My miss tends to be vertical. I reserve final comments until I get a few rounds in with a shaft I like.
    Posted:
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
    Classic #3

Advertisement
    Ri_Redneck wrote:

What does the stock head weigh without the adapter? I have a new, in plastic, ST180 head in my office at work, but I can't get my hands on it till I return next Friday. I was able to also get my hands on an OG Diamana Kai'Li 70 X - Ion new uncut and pristine!! Never been this excited about a driver. Curious how it will compare to my F7 Copperhead combo I'm using now.

BT

Look at the link in the post right above yours - plenty of details.
    Posted:
    nflam-button.png

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.