2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Are any of the "straight" golf balls worth trying?

Freddy300

I was playing my third round after a 10 + layoff from golf with Pinnacle Exceptions. On the range I have gotten my driver to act better but I am still going left and right. My other clubs are working better including the Yonex 3 Fairway wood especially off the deck.

I was thinking of either the Nike Straight or D2 Straight balls. Any others and does amyone play these types of balls? Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't all "low spin" balls suppose to cut down on sidespins? I've used the Top Flite Straight, but didn't like the feel off the driver.

My distance balls right now are Titleist NXT Extreme and Precept Laddie X. Both of these go very straight, w/the Precept going a little tiny bit longer for me (also, it's cheaper, as u can get 24 balls for $19.99 + tax, unlike the NXT Extreme, which are more than $25 for only 12 balls).

I've also found some of the older Bridgestone e6 while playing on the golf course and these are really good balls too (a/p their marketing adds, these balls cut down on sidespins).

Aren't all "low spin" balls suppose to cut down on sidespins? I've used the Top Flite Straight, but didn't like the feel off the driver.

My distance balls right now are Titleist NXT Extreme and Precept Laddie X. Both of these go very straight, w/the Precept going a little tiny bit longer for me (also, it's cheaper, as u can get 24 balls for $19.99 + tax, unlike the NXT Extreme, which are more than $25 for only 12 balls).

I've also found some of the older Bridgestone e6 while playing on the golf course and these are really good balls too (a/p their marketing adds, these balls cut down on sidespins).

Thanks. How was the Precept Laddie X around the greens with the short game? I assume the Titleist was probably pretty good.

I wish that Bridgestone challenge where they hook up a monitor and you test their balls would come to my neck of the woods.

The D2 straight are a pretty decent ball. When I was working @ a golf shop, I got a couple dozen for free. They have some kind of "slick" covering on the ball that reduce the amt of sidespin (not sure what it is though). They feel about the same as the D2 feel, if you've ever hit one of those.

I have read some great reviews for the D2 feel. Not as many for the D2 Straight. The surface is slick. Did you notice any straighter drives?

I played yesterday and had a bad drive with a Pinnacle - not terrible but to the right. I was bymyself so I decided to hit a second drive, which I do not usually do. I hit a Top Flite I found which was I think an XL 2000. It is in my bag so I will double check. It was the best drive of the day. Straight and longer than my other drives.

The D2 straight are a pretty decent ball. When I was working @ a golf shop, I got a couple dozen for free. They have some kind of "slick" covering on the ball that reduce the amt of sidespin (not sure what it is though). They feel about the same as the D2 feel, if you've ever hit one of those.

I have read some great reviews for the D2 feel. Not as many for the D2 Straight. The surface is slick. Did you notice any straighter drives?

I played yesterday and had a bad drive with a Pinnacle - not terrible but to the right. I was bymyself so I decided to hit a second drive, which I do not usually do. I hit a Top Flite I found which was I think an XL 2000. It is in my bag so I will double check. It was the best drive of the day. Straight and longer than my other drives.

Not a lot straighter, but a little more resistant to going one way or the other. If you ever get a hold of one of the straight D2s try to draw a line on it w/ a sharpie...it wipes right off. Kind of weird, but this tells me there is some sort of different material in the cover.

Thanks. How was the Precept Laddie X around the greens with the short game? I assume the Titleist was probably pretty good.

I wish that Bridgestone challenge where they hook up a monitor and you test their balls would come to my neck of the woods.

If you're looking for less roll on the greens (for the short game), then your'e gonna be dissapointed w/most of the straight/distance golf balls. Thus, I found the Precept Laddie X running off the green a good amount of times, but take in consideration that my short game around the green is my biggest weakness.

Since I've gotten better w/controlling the driver (it's usually a fade), I'm thinking in moving up to medium spin balls once my supply of low spin balls run out.

If u wanna know about what golf balls suit u, try to get the February 2008 issue of Golf Magazine. U may be able to find the golf balls test results doing a "google" search, if all else fails :yes: .

If you're looking for a compromise on low spin versus short-game playability then the 2008 TM LDP Red seems to be a solid option but certainly not discount priced. I find it similar to an e6+ off the tee -- boring, low spin trajectory but more like other premium balls for greenside control and spin. You should be able to find it for less than the ProV1/x's and the premium Cally and Nike balls.

Ping K15 9.5
Ping G15 4w
Ping G20 3h
Callaway XR 5-PW
Vokey SM5 48, 54, 60
Odyssey Prototype Tour Series 3

If you're looking for a compromise on low spin versus short-game playability then the 2008 TM LDP Red seems to be a solid option but certainly not discount priced. I find it similar to an e6+ off the tee -- boring, low spin trajectory but more like other premium balls for greenside control and spin. You should be able to find it for less than the ProV1/x's and the premium Cally and Nike balls.

If you have a Golfsmith nearby, go there, as they have TM TP Red and TM TP Black logo overruns ('07 models) for $19.99 per 1 dz. From what I've read on these forums, these are not THAT far off different from this year's model (& half the cost!).

The TM TP Black is supposed to be comparable to the Titleist ProV1x.

The TM TP Red is supposed to be comparable to the Titleist ProV1.

If you have a Golfsmith nearby, go there, as they have TM TP Red and TM TP Black logo overruns ('07 models) for $19.99 per 1 dz. From what I've read on these forums, these are not THAT far off different from this year's model (& half the cost!).

TM TP Red for less spin + straighter. Thanks for the tip.

TM TP Red for less spin + straighter. Thanks for the tip.

Read the below link for TM TP Red & Black article review... very detail & descriptive:

http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/balls/tay...ack_ball_review

smaller changes in the balls I am playing, versus trying to make a big jump to something that is way different. The golf digest article does a nice job of showing you the option

If you're looking for less roll on the greens (for the short game), then your'e gonna be dissapointed w/most of the straight/distance golf balls. Thus, I found the Precept Laddie X running off the green a good amount of times, but take in consideration that my short game around the green is my biggest weakness.

Since I've gotten better w/controlling the driver (it's usually a fade), I'm thinking in moving up to medium spin balls once my supply of low spin balls run out.

If u wanna know about what golf balls suit u, try to get the February 2008 issue of Golf Magazine. U may be able to find the golf balls test results doing a "google" search, if all else fails :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could not agree more. I used to play the Laddie - a lot of pellets for the money and distance and control off the tee is very good. Note that the golf digest articles shows that the Laddie cover is one of the hardest out there, which is not good for the short game. As my handicap index improved in the past year, (now 13 and wanting to get to high single digits) I put more focus on my short game and am now using medium spin balls with a slightly softer cover. The D2 Feel and the Noodle Plus are my favorites right now. I plan to continue to move down the ladder towards softer covers and maybe even 3 piece balls, as I continue to improve. My approach is to make smaller changes in the ball I use, over time, versus experimenting with big changes.

Hey, atlantagolfer, your bag set up/breakdown is very similar to mine, except u got a 4w, while I carry a 3w (which, really, I barely ever use!). How did you improve/work on your short game to get your index to the low digits in such a short amount of time... just wondering? I know I gotta stop killing the range balls at the driving range... I know my full, power swing is "passable". Now it's time to focus on the "finesse" swing and the putting stoke.... Such a tough game!

Hey, atlantagolfer, your bag set up/breakdown is very similar to mine, except u got a 4w, while I carry a 3w (which, really, I barely ever use!). How did you improve/work on your short game to get your index to the low digits in such a short amount of time... just wondering? I know I gotta stop killing the range balls at the driving range... I know my full, power swing is "passable". Now it's time to focus on the "finesse" swing and the putting stoke.... Such a tough game!

I took a putting lesson which helped me greatly, together with reading the book by Bob Rotella "Putting Out of Your Mind". I also bought an annual range membership but make it a point to almost always spend a portion of my time there putting and chipping/pitching on the practice green, not just beating balls. I also hit lots and lots of wedges and short irons on the range, probably ten times more balls than I hit with my driver. I still have a long long way to go though. But now at least I feel like if one part of my game is off, another part will pick up the slack.

I took a putting lesson which helped me greatly, together with reading the book by Bob Rotella "Putting Out of Your Mind". I also bought an annual range membership but make it a point to almost always spend a portion of my time there putting and chipping/pitching on the practice green, not just beating balls. I also hit lots and lots of wedges and short irons on the range, probably ten times more balls than I hit with my driver. I still have a long long way to go though. But now at least I feel like if one part of my game is off, another part will pick up the slack.

The Bob Rotella book has been something I've been "waffling" between getting or not getting it, as I have the Dave Pelz's putting bible book & Tom Watson's "Getting Up & Down" short game book. Both book have ALOT of good points on putting, which, I figured would be enough, alas, I'm still "sucking" badly. I guess I gotta see if any putting lessons are available here in NY. I also got the Dave Pelz's short game bible (I'm reading it at the moment), thus, I know I have to put A WHOLE LOT of more work on the the finesse and the putting swings at the driving range. Thanx for sharing... I know what must be done... Focus more on the other aspects of the game! :lol:

The Bob Rotella book has been something I've been "waffling" between getting or not getting it, as I have the Dave Pelz's putting bible book & Tom Watson's "Getting Up & Down" short game book. Both book have ALOT of good points on putting, which, I figured would be enough, alas, I'm still "sucking" badly. I guess I gotta see if any putting lessons are available here in NY. I also got the Dave Pelz's short game bible (I'm reading it at the moment), thus, I know I have to put A WHOLE LOT of more work on the the finesse and the putting swings at the driving range. Thanx for sharing... I know what must be done... Focus more on the other aspects of the game! :lol:

Bob Rotella is much more on the mental side, while Pelz is very techncial. Personally, I tend to be very analytical so if I get into Pelz, it it too much, way too much. Rotella helps me back away from over-analysis and just play the game. I also have a book by Stan Utley. His specific methods do not work well for me but I have adopted some of what he says. There are a few principals that are somewhat universal and others that seem to be more individual preference.

That's Bob, an adult full size collie. We found him as a stray when he was 3. He just looks like a pup because in the south it is sometimes easier to shave the longer haired dogs in the summer. He passed away a couple months ago. Collies don't live as long as some smaller dogs, sometimes not more than 10 years or so. We have other dogs and cats but I'm keeping him as my avatar.

That's Bob, an adult full size collie. We found him as a stray when he was 3. He just looks like a pup because in the south it is sometimes easier to shave the longer haired dogs in the summer. He passed away a couple months ago. Collies don't live as long as some smaller dogs, sometimes not more than 10 years or so. We have other dogs and cats but I'm keeping him as my avatar.

I sorry to hear that. He was beautiful. I think the camera angle also makes him look like a pup.

I lost a yellow Labrador girl who was 12 1/2 almost a year ago. I am still pretty devastated.

I sorry to hear that. He was beautiful. I think the camera angle also makes him look like a pup.

I lost a yellow Labrador girl who was 12 1/2 almost a year ago. I am still pretty devastated.

Franc,

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure you had a wonderful 12 1/2 years with her. Don't know what I'll do when my girl's time is up, she is an absolute joy to have around and brings so much love to our family. My heart aches for those that are so fortunate to of had such a wonderful friend.....

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

Franc,

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure you had a wonderful 12 1/2 years with her. Don't know what I'll do when my girl's time is up, she is an absolute joy to have around and brings so much love to our family. My heart aches for those that are so fortunate to of had such a wonderful friend.....

Thanks. Yeah it is devastating. She would come to work eveyday and sleep under the desk. She was with me all the time. They really are wonderful.