2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Which launch monitor to buy!??

FunaiGolf

Hi All,

I’m trying to decide between the Flightscope X3, GC Quad, maybe trackman 4 although I think it’s more than I want to spend. I would even throw the SkyTrak into the mix because of how great of value it is even though I know it isn’t nearly as accurate as the others...

The flightscope X3 is extremely attractive to me because it combines high speed cameras with 3D Doppler radar. I have hit of the GC Quad and Trackman 4 and they are both amazing. The other consideration is software, who has the best? I’m also toying with the idea of simulation as I live here in the Pacific Northwest and it would be nice to be able to practice here or play realistic virtual golf instead of flying to Vegas or Palm Springs for months at a time to work on my game.

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks Guys!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between the Flightscope X3, GC Quad, maybe trackman 4 although I think it's more than I want to spend. I would even throw the SkyTrak into the mix because of how great of value it is even though I know it isn't nearly as accurate as the others...

The flightscope X3 is extremely attractive to me because it combines high speed cameras with 3D Doppler radar. I have hit of the GC Quad and Trackman 4 and they are both amazing. The other consideration is software, who has the best? I'm also toying with the idea of simulation as I live here in the Pacific Northwest and it would be nice to be able to practice here or play realistic virtual golf instead of flying to Vegas or Palm Springs for months at a time to work on my game.

If simulation is important to you, Trackman 4 or GC2+HMT would be your best bets. GCQ locks you into FSX software, which is massively overpriced and significantly behind the curve for graphics. Trackman or GC2 can run JNPG (trackman bought the software rights), which is the best choice on the market currently. Here are a couple of threads that discuss the integration of GC2 and JNPG

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1577498-jack-nicklaus-perfect-golf-jnpg-simulator-info-and-gc2-trial/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1339122-flightscope-indoor-range-gc2jnpg-update-p4/page__st__90#entry16350904

Are you planning to use this primarily indoor or both indoor/outdoor? That factors into the decision. If you are staying indoors for the most part, I'd go with GC2+HMT all day every day.

Hope that helps!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Well as I mentioned I live in Bellevue, WA (Pacific Northwest) so during the crappy weather months I’d like to be able to practice indoors and during the spring summer and fall months utilize my launch monitor outdoors. Is the SkyTrak any good? What about the Flightscope X3. The Flightscope X3 seems very attractive since it uses a high speed camera and 3D Doppler radar.

I would like whatever software is the best for simulation as well as I think it would be botnonly fun but good for my mind to play virtual rounds.

Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between the Flightscope X3, GC Quad, maybe trackman 4 although I think it's more than I want to spend. I would even throw the SkyTrak into the mix because of how great of value it is even though I know it isn't nearly as accurate as the others...

The flightscope X3 is extremely attractive to me because it combines high speed cameras with 3D Doppler radar. I have hit of the GC Quad and Trackman 4 and they are both amazing. The other consideration is software, who has the best? I'm also toying with the idea of simulation as I live here in the Pacific Northwest and it would be nice to be able to practice here or play realistic virtual golf instead of flying to Vegas or Palm Springs for months at a time to work on my game.

If simulation is important to you, Trackman 4 or GC2+HMT would be your best bets. GCQ locks you into FSX software, which is massively overpriced and significantly behind the curve for graphics. Trackman or GC2 can run JNPG (trackman bought the software rights), which is the best choice on the market currently. Here are a couple of threads that discuss the integration of GC2 and JNPG

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1577498-jack-nicklaus-perfect-golf-jnpg-simulator-info-and-gc2-trial/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1339122-flightscope-indoor-range-gc2jnpg-update-p4/page__st__90#entry16350904

Are you planning to use this primarily indoor or both indoor/outdoor? That factors into the decision. If you are staying indoors for the most part, I'd go with GC2+HMT all day every day.

Hope that helps!

Can the GC Quad run the JNPG software you discussed?

Last I heard, I believe JNPG was doing beta testing for flightscope support - and of course TrueGolf's e6 also supports Flightscope. I'm not aware of any support for GCQuad for either that or TGC

For indoor sim play, GC2/HMT will probably be better then GCQuad - unless you want to support both right and left handed players - then go with Flightscope x3.

Well as I mentioned I live in Bellevue, WA (Pacific Northwest) so during the crappy weather months I'd like to be able to practice indoors and during the spring summer and fall months utilize my launch monitor outdoors. Is the SkyTrak any good? What about the Flightscope X3. The Flightscope X3 seems very attractive since it uses a high speed camera and 3D Doppler radar.

I would like whatever software is the best for simulation as well as I think it would be botnonly fun but good for my mind to play virtual rounds.

If you want indoor/outdoor capabilities AND the best simulation, Trackman 4 is your #1 choice, though it is the most $$ of all your options. Skytrak doesn't work well outdoors, and GC2/GCQ will be less than ideal, though they will work. If you're hitting on mats outside, both of the Foresight products will be great, but if on grass, you'll have to adjust them after some time to keep the ball in the camera window. GCQuad can only run FSX software.

Flightscope X3 just won't have the same simulation capabilities as the above options, though it is still very good from a launch monitor perspective. JNPG does have a beta product available for flightscope, but indications don't look great for future support.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

If I do get a launch monitor, it will be the Skytrak. It would be used in my AZ room, so no direct sunlight. The others are way too expensive for me, and I don't need the hyper-accuracy of the best-of-the-best. My best swing days are far behind me. ;)

I just want to plot trends, looking for improvement. If there is any. That and watching a ball fly on a screen is more entertaining than just looking at a hitting net as I try to maintain some flexability in this old bod. :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

I got a Skytrak last week and absolutely love it. Got a smoking deal from the BST and don’t regret it one bit. It actually helped me out for this past weekend where I shot +2 (should have been a -1) because I was working on my distance control with wedges.

Even in the sunlight (I was using it on my back porch) I could still see the laser.

I’m gonna be pairing it with my skypro to help give me club head info as well.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

The new Ernest Sports ES 20/20? It claims a performance close to the big brothers at just a fraction of their price

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Why not just trackman 3e and the e6 software. Probably get both for less than the x3

TM3e "might" be less used IF you buy one that's only enabled for indoor use (and that still doesn't include the cost of e6). But pretty sure TM didn't start supporting putts and short chips until TM4.

FS is fully supported in e6 - it's only for some of the other sims (like TGC) that FS can be a problem.

And if you don't care about chips and putts in e6 - then you're better off (cost wise) with a used X2 or even a an Xi Tour then with TM3.

First off all, Disclosure: I own a GC2+HMT and I am biased towards it.

As others have mentioned, GC2+HMT is the best option indoor especially if you plan to use simulation software (JNPG is the best one).

If you plan to use the monitor outdoors, you need to consider the range you go to and how crappy their balls are. I have taken my GC2 to driving ranges and let me tell you, you dont want to calibrate your carry yardages based on driving range balls. If your driving range uses premium balls, then go with Trackman 4 , if cost if no issue for you.

First off all, Disclosure: I own a GC2+HMT and I am biased towards it.

As others have mentioned, GC2+HMT is the best option indoor especially if you plan to use simulation software (JNPG is the best one).

If you plan to use the monitor outdoors, you need to consider the range you go to and how crappy their balls are. I have taken my GC2 to driving ranges and let me tell you, you dont want to calibrate your carry yardages based on driving range balls. If your driving range uses premium balls, then go with Trackman 4 , if cost if no issue for you.

This seems to be my experience too, if you can't hit a regular ball you play with on the course, a launch monitor is just going to give you inaccurate data. At least with the trackman 4 you would be getting good club data and their range ball compensation would get you closer.

Assuming you don't need (or want) a set-up to support both right and left handed players.

Correct. If you want both Left and Right handed option, radar is the best option. SkyTrak and GC2 are out of the picture then.

How much would a GC2 with HMT run me used?

Depending on how lucky you get, for just the gc2 (no HMT) - most go for between $4200 to $4500 (not including any software). used HMT availability is actually relatively rare so harder to judge - but likely > $8k. Certified Pre-Owned direct from Foresight was $10.5k for both GC2+HMT last I checked.

Things get expensive when you want to get into a unit that can give you the club data. A used X2 is going to be the best bargin for club data.

Depending on how lucky you get, for just the gc2 (no HMT) - most go for between $4200 to $4500 (not including any software). used HMT availability is actually relatively rare so harder to judge - but likely > $8k. Certified Pre-Owned direct from Foresight was $10.5k for both GC2+HMT last I checked.

Things get expensive when you want to get into a unit that can give you the club data. A used X2 is going to be the best bargin for club data.

Agree with this. If you want club data, go with a flightscope. You can get an X2 for around the same cost as a GC2(without hmt) and will have club data. Flightscope apps are pretty good too. They have an E6 simulation integration and I believe they had a beta JNPG (may be wrong with that).

I personally hate supporting companies like Foresight that lock their hardware down like they did with the GCQ to force you to buy their lacking FSX simulation software. It's a crappy business move, especially since their software isn't that great. Buying a used GC2 is a fair option since you can use it with TGC, JNPG and I believe E6....they haven't encrypted the wireless stuff on these like they have on the GCQ.

X3 looks like it will be a great option once they get the E6 integration sorted. From what I understand it is still being finalized. Once that's done I'll consider upgrading my X2 to an X3.

Agree with this. If you want club data, go with a flightscope. You can get an X2 for around the same cost as a GC2(without hmt) and will have club data. Flightscope apps are pretty good too. They have an E6 simulation integration and I believe they had a beta JNPG (may be wrong with that).

I personally hate supporting companies like Foresight that lock their hardware down like they did with the GCQ to force you to buy their lacking FSX simulation software. It's a crappy business move, especially since their software isn't that great. Buying a used GC2 is a fair option since you can use it with TGC, JNPG and I believe E6....they haven't encrypted the wireless stuff on these like they have on the GCQ.

X3 looks like it will be a great option once they get the E6 integration sorted. From what I understand it is still being finalized. Once that's done I'll consider upgrading my X2 to an X3.

I'll just add one more caveat - that's assuming you have enough room in your indoor set-up. Radar units do need more room (distance between the unit and the impact screen) then any of the optical units.

Greetings from a fellow former Bellevue resident.

I was in your shoes last year and tested out top 5 major launch monitors out there in the world (Trackman 3e, Trackman 4, GC2+HMT, GC Quad and Flightscope X3).

I currently own a Trackman 4 and GC2+HMT.

I was going to write about radar vs camera as well as 5 different launch monitor pros and cons, but realized that I will probably have to write a thesis about it since I know too much. I was already writing 7 paragraphs and realized that I only wrote 20% of what I wanted to write haha.

Bottom line that I can give you though is, get a Trackman 4.

Just by reading your needs, you won’t regret and look back going for Trackman 4. It is the most expensive, but the most prominent premium launch monitor out there that will give you a lot of options and flexibility for your needs, whether it is game improvement or simulator indoor and outdoor.

For more info, you can always message me separately.

I have never heard of a Trackman user switching to flight scope, but I have heard of a lot of FS users switching to TM. That is enough for me.

Signed,

Biased TM owner

Flightscope X3 was a great produt when I tested, and additionally it even showed some more visually appealing data points that Trackman doesn’t offer (i.e. swing animation). However, the interface seemed a little too clunky and didn’t have a lot of customizable options. I think the accuracy of data is pretty close to Trackman (except a few misreads here and there but Trackman has that too to a lesser degree), but software definitely needs some improvement. But iPad app is definitely better than Foresight’s for sure.

If it’s going to be flightscope vs trackman, i would say trackman anyday unless you’re ok with inferior software and less option for simulator software, and cost of course. But you can also go for Trackman 3e which is also a great product.

Either GC2 or HMT, if you buy second hand and you need a repair in the future, you must pay $500 registration fee. I think Flightscope also has that not totally sure but I remember from somewhere.

So all in all, GC2 or HMT will cost anywhere from $4700~$5000, and refurb unit from GC2 is $5500 which gives you brand new replaced parts with 6 months warranty. Spending extra $500~800 is up to the customer.

How much is Flightscope X2 by the way? I guess it’s comparable to Trackman 3e since you can’t chip/putt/see impact location?