Garmin Z80 GPS/Laser Ranger Finder Hybrid - The official thread

Comments

• donutsdonuts Posts: 93
    BrendanH wrote:

Anyone else have issues with it not waking up ?

Yes - mine did that too. I was able to restart by holding the power button for around 10 seconds. The restart was pretty fast.

Seems like it happens to me about once a round. Very annoying.
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,074 ✭✭
    Ok i looked today and it wouldnt come on by holding rbd button down.

I connected the charger let it charge from my lAptop for two hours.

Took the charger off and it shut down immediately.

Im going to charge overnight from an AC outlet. If i dont get s display tomorrow. It may be going back. Or at the very least a CS call.

Is there anyway to see thd current battery level while its charging.

All i get is the battery showing battery charging icon.
    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

Ok i looked today and it wouldnt come on by holding rbd button down.

I connected the charger let it charge from my lAptop for two hours.

Took the charger off and it shut down immediately.

Im going to charge overnight from an AC outlet. If i dont get s display tomorrow. It may be going back. Or at the very least a CS call.

Is there anyway to see thd current battery level while its charging.

All i get is the battery showing battery charging icon.

Hold down the middle of 3 buttons until it powers up.
    Well it was fully charged this morning and worked like a charm during the entire round. Woke up every time within 10 seconds or so.

One funny ancedote.

One hole from about 168 out in the fairway with a green that had water, sand and OB all in play. I was looking through the finder taking it all in.

My buddy said "is it having trouble picking up the flag".

I laughed and said no. I was just looking at all the other hazards and taking in all the info. Guess I I got sidetracked just amazed at how much info it was giving me.

I became cognizant after that not to spend any more time than I needed to get the number I needed.
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• BowlorgolfBowlorgolf Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Really like the concept but I’m thinking I want to wait till the next version com s out. Sort of like buying a new release car really want it but you know there will be some issues.
    I agree about the first release but I hope software updates can address some issues.
  • ProfessorXProfessorX Members Posts: 4 ClubWRX
    Hi everyone

Any news for the past few weeks? New adopters? New updatew? People changing their mind on the device?

The geek inside me likes the concept but because I cannot test it, all inputs are valuable.

Thanks
  • robinsrobins Hands of stone ClubWRX Posts: 21 ✭✭
    ProfessorX wrote:

Hi everyone

Any news for the past few weeks? New adopters? New updatew? People changing their mind on the device?

The geek inside me likes the concept but because I cannot test it, all inputs are valuable.

Thanks

After talking with Garmin CS a couple weeks a go, the retailer swapped mine out for a new one. I've played about 4 rounds with the new one and it's performance has been flawless. Wakes up quickly, and yardages are accurate when compared with a Laser or a Garmin Fenix with the Golf GPS app. I think there have now been 2 software updates since the product was released
    WITB

Taylor Made M6 9 degree, Tensei CK Orange R
    TM M5 5 wood
    TM P790 Black 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT r
    TM 50 Milled grind Gap wedge
    Vokey SM6 56-8 & 60-12 wedges
    Bettinardi Queen Bee Mallet
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,404 ✭✭
    edited Aug 25, 2018 #100
    I bought a Z80 near the end of July, and it wqs flawless until it got hot and wouldnt turn on. It was HOT to the touch.

The blue light was blinking on the outside...but no screen.

My guess is that it hit the 124 degree F threshold per the user manual and until I cooled it down, it would stay off. I couldnt get it to cool down.

It happened to me twice during Sunny rounds in the 80s temps.

I swapped it out for a new one and have had no problems since, however, I am yet to play in the kinds of heated conditions I played in when it failed on me twice.
  • jakemarsh7jakemarsh7 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Ordering mine today through Amazon, adding the 3-year electronics warranty for $23. Playing it safe since it's the first version of a new product and can always get it replaced if needed. I'll be playing this weekend and will report back with feedback.
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 9*
    Fairway - Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 14.5*
    Utility - Srixon U65 2-Iron (18*)
    Irons - Mizuno MP-54, 4-PW
    Wedges - Mizuno MP-T5, 50* 54* 58*
    Putter - Mizuno Bettinardi BC1
    Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • 2Bad4u2Bad4u Posts: 212
    I'm not in the market for a new rangefinder but I would love to have a Z80 in my bag.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Pioneer Bag
    Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 R-Flex
    Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
    Ping G400 4h, 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex
    Ping G700 7-PW, UW, SW, Recoil 780 ES F3 SmacWrap
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]˚ & 64˚, Recoil 760 ES F3 SmacWrap[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Sigma G D66 | Sigma G Tyne Putters
    Snell MTB Black | MTB Red (Yellow), Golf Pride MCC+4 Grips
    Seamus Headcovers, Clicgear 3.5+ Cart, Leupold GX-4i2 Rangefinder [/font]
  • jakemarsh7jakemarsh7 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Just played my first round with it, couldn't be happier. My favorite things about it after 1 round:
    • image stabilization made it incredibly easy to lock onto the flag with shaky hands
    • it's very good about know what's a tree and what's a flag
    • because it's a digital screen and not just a lens, it adjusts perfectly to changes in light. I played until 8pm and it adjusted beautifully to darker conditions
    • the "plays like" distance for slope is very accurate
    • Battery life at the end of the round was 78%

Can't think of anything else specific, but I'm super pleased. KEEP IN MIND i did the software updates last night (2 total I believe), and I think it got rid of a lot of issues people were mentioning early on.
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 9*
    Fairway - Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 14.5*
    Utility - Srixon U65 2-Iron (18*)
    Irons - Mizuno MP-54, 4-PW
    Wedges - Mizuno MP-T5, 50* 54* 58*
    Putter - Mizuno Bettinardi BC1
    Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft X
    After those initial issues I had the first round. Mine has worked perfectly for the last 5 or 6 rounds. Battery life is great. Getting about 3 rounds per charge.

PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• krbkrb Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    System requirements state windows pc is required. Is there any way to update software without windows? I’m a Mac user and don’t have access to a windows machine.
  • krbkrb Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    krb wrote:

System requirements state windows pc is required. Is there any way to update software without windows? I’m a Mac user and don’t have access to a windows machine.

OK, manual states that the device uses Garmin Express software for updates, and Garmin does provide a Mac version. Perhaps the system requirements are incomplete. Can any Mac users here confirm?
  • 2Bad4u2Bad4u Posts: 212
    krb wrote:

krb wrote:

OK, manual states that the device uses Garmin Express software for updates, and Garmin does provide a Mac version. Perhaps the system requirements are incomplete. Can any Mac users here confirm?

I'm a long time Mac user and have never had any issues upgrading my Garmin devices using the Mac version of Garmin Express. That being said, I do not own the Garmin Z80 so like you I don't have a definitive answer.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Pioneer Bag
    Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 R-Flex
    Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
    Ping G400 4h, 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex
    Ping G700 7-PW, UW, SW, Recoil 780 ES F3 SmacWrap
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]˚ & 64˚, Recoil 760 ES F3 SmacWrap[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Sigma G D66 | Sigma G Tyne Putters
    Snell MTB Black | MTB Red (Yellow), Golf Pride MCC+4 Grips
    Seamus Headcovers, Clicgear 3.5+ Cart, Leupold GX-4i2 Rangefinder [/font]
  • gc444gc444 Lefty Boomers Posts: 403 ✭✭
    I took mine out for the first time since the last software update. My previous round it shut off and would not power back on without rebooting it 3 different times. However this time when it did not automatically turn on I was able to just press the target button once and it immediately came on (which is similar to how my previous range finders worked). So we will see how well it works during my next round.
  • MorryMorry Posts: 822 ✭✭
    Is it fair to call this a bust or no?

work in progress maybe?
    Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 6.0 / TPT 17 MKP
    Callaway Fusion 3W - Fuji Evo III S
    Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0
    Taylormade 790 4-P - Modus 105-S
    Cleveland RTX-4 50, 56, 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125
    Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works - Stability Shaft 
    Callaway CS-X 
  • gc444gc444 Lefty Boomers Posts: 403 ✭✭
    Morry wrote:

work in progress maybe?

I would say a good first generation product. They are releasing software updates fairly regular so they are actively working on issues as they arise. Probably needs a bit more time before calling it a bust (or success) just yet. I will say overall I have enjoyed mine so far.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    I use it daily and think it's a very good first generation product. I'd like to see a higher resolution view finder in the next version but overall, it's the best hybrid rangefinder out there and has delegated the X2 Pro to my away bag.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
    Morry wrote:

work in progress maybe?

Not a bust by any means. other than the issues I had the first and second rounds mentioned above, it's worked perfectly the rest of the season. I've had several buddies use it during a round, and they are blown away by the quality of the GPS graphics, and information provided.
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• Invisible-zInvisible-z Posts: 91 ✭✭
    has anyone been able to resolve to sleep issue?

Mine still goes to sleep once per round. It's a little annoying in tournament situations ...
  • I just bought this product and took it out for the first time yesterday. Some of the previous comments are spot on. The case is almost unusable if you take it in and out of the case every time. I kept it in a cargo pocket and that worked fine. It goes into standby mode pretty quick but when I hit the second button it turned on right away and had all the info. When I knew I was walking up to my ball I hit the button ahead of time and it was ready to go. I am used to the pin being magnified and much larger on the screen. That is not the case with the Garmin. However it locks on despite me moving the tiny reticle around, this was pretty amazing. What I really liked is that it gave me front-middle-back green distances so I knew it was locked on to the flag, not a tree behind the green.

My playing partners were puzzled when I was on the tee of a 500 yard hole and looking through the view finder to see distances to hazards. Overall I liked it but it was not 100 percent a true test as the course i was playing had added and subtracted sand traps which were not on the GPS. Mine never went into full sleep mode and when I first turned it on and hit play golf it found the course in a few seconds.

Thanks to the previous posters for the information. I was on the fence about buying it but the information here allowed me to make a more informed decision.
  • ssb24ssb24 Members Posts: 3
    Can the Z80 measure shot distances, similar to a gps?
    ssb24 wrote:

Can the Z80 measure shot distances, similar to a gps?

No but I imagine it would be an easy software update

It will show the distances to the 200-150-100 markers. On the tee I’ll check the distance to an average drive length to compare. For example if it says 280 to the 100 then when I walk up to my drive and see how much I have left to the centre relative to 100 yards I’ll know how well I hit it. I.e. if it said 280 to 100 and then I’m left with 90 I’ll be fairly confident I’ve hit it 290.
  • ssb24ssb24 Members Posts: 3
    Thanks. It would be an easy software upgrade and hopefully they add, only thing I can see that's missing.
    I just bought this product and took it out for the first time yesterday. Some of the previous comments are spot on. The case is almost unusable if you take it in and out of the case every time. I kept it in a cargo pocket and that worked fine. It goes into standby mode pretty quick but when I hit the second button it turned on right away and had all the info. When I knew I was walking up to my ball I hit the button ahead of time and it was ready to go. I am used to the pin being magnified and much larger on the screen. That is not the case with the Garmin. However it locks on despite me moving the tiny reticle around, this was pretty amazing. What I really liked is that it gave me front-middle-back green distances so I knew it was locked on to the flag, not a tree behind the green.

My playing partners were puzzled when I was on the tee of a 500 yard hole and looking through the view finder to see distances to hazards. Overall I liked it but it was not 100 percent a true test as the course i was playing had added and subtracted sand traps which were not on the GPS. Mine never went into full sleep mode and when I first turned it on and hit play golf it found the course in a few seconds.

Thanks to the previous posters for the information. I was on the fence about buying it but the information here allowed me to make a more informed decision.

Lol. I had a similar reaction on a dog leg par 4 when I looked into it while sitting in the cart just pointing it out sideways. My buddy joked if I was seeing how far it was to got take a leak or not. Ha
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭
    any updates on the bug fixes? looking for a black Friday deal
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,535 mod
    Rick Shiels had a video up that to me was basically a big informercial for the Z80. I like his stuff, watch just about every video he puts up - but I couldn't handle this one. It was just a big commercial.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5
  • DrRemulakDrRemulak Posts: 83 ✭✭
    dcmidnight wrote:

Rick Shiels had a video up that to me was basically a big informercial for the Z80. I like his stuff, watch just about every video he puts up - but I couldn't handle this one. It was just a big commercial.

I like his stuff too but that video was painful to watch. I couldn't make it past the first minute or so.