2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Learned a very important lesson today.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you what happened to me the last couple of days and the lesson its taught me (for now). The last couple months--since golf season kicked off really--I've been working on my swing and have been trying to get it more "technically" sound. I've really been trying to maintain posture and eliminating early extension. I've been really fighting golf and way over thinking it. I've shot a few upper 70s but mostly in the 80s, after averaging a 74.5 last year. This year I'm playing to a 8.8 where as finished last year with a 1 handicap. This past Saturday I shot an 87 followed by a 89 on Sunday.

Last night at league (its a 4 man scramble format) I was warming up on the range and almost literally said "f84k it." I completely reverted back to the swing I had when I was younger.... Standing way too close to the ball, way too vertical, way too much wrist, so much early extension I'm practically standing straight up at impact. On the range I was flushing everything. Played with it and hit a couple shots that were way off the mark but hit the ball WAY straighter and WAY further than I have been all season. On 18 I hit driver 8 iron (on a par 5) to 3 feet and made eagle on my own ball.

Today I just had time for 9. I played from the tips, one bogey and two birdies to shoot 1 under--with a par on a par 5 where my chip shot hit the flag and the ball ended up about 2 inches from the hole.

I completely threw everything I've learned about the golf swing out the window and shot under par (well for 9 holes).

Will I completely abandon my quest for a perfect golf swing? I haven't decided yet. But I've definitely learned that a lot of us (I'm probably more guilty of this than anyone) way over think things trying to swing the club like the current PGA tour pros. I started doing what felt "good" and amazingly started playing 10+ strokes better literally over night.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a +.5 handicap two years ago with a not so perfect swing. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't really that bad, just not Adam Scott like.

Last year I work hard to get in "better" positions in my swing and eliminate my low grade EE. I went up to a 3 handicap. Still respectable but I was not scoring nearly as well.

I'm considering just going back to my "natural" swing.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I was a +.5 handicap two years ago with a not so perfect swing. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't really that bad, just not Adam Scott like.

Last year I work hard to get in "better" positions in my swing and eliminate my low grade EE. I went up to a 3 handicap. Still respectable but I was not scoring nearly as well.

I'm considering just going back to my "natural" swing.

That's the point I'm at. It was nice to go out and just swing. For the first time in a while I actually trusted my golf swing too. Weird.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you what happened to me the last couple of days and the lesson its taught me (for now). The last couple months--since golf season kicked off really--I've been working on my swing and have been trying to get it more "technically" sound. I've really been trying to maintain posture and eliminating early extension. I've been really fighting golf and way over thinking it. I've shot a few upper 70s but mostly in the 80s, after averaging a 74.5 last year. This year I'm playing to a 8.8 where as finished last year with a 1 handicap. This past Saturday I shot an 87 followed by a 89 on Sunday.

Last night at league (its a 4 man scramble format) I was warming up on the range and almost literally said "f84k it." I completely reverted back to the swing I had when I was younger.... Standing way too close to the ball, way too vertical, way too much wrist, so much early extension I'm practically standing straight up at impact. On the range I was flushing everything. Played with it and hit a couple shots that were way off the mark but hit the ball WAY straighter and WAY further than I have been all season. On 18 I hit driver 8 iron (on a par 5) to 3 feet and made eagle on my own ball.

Today I just had time for 9. I played from the tips, one bogey and two birdies to shoot 1 under--with a par on a par 5 where my chip shot hit the flag and the ball ended up about 2 inches from the hole.

I completely threw everything I've learned about the golf swing out the window and shot under par (well for 9 holes).

Will I completely abandon my quest for a perfect golf swing? I haven't decided yet. But I've definitely learned that a lot of us (I'm probably more guilty of this than anyone) way over think things trying to swing the club like the current PGA tour pros. I started doing what felt "good" and amazingly started playing 10+ strokes better literally over night.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

At least, you abandoned your qwest for a worse swing.

I don't mind a flawed swing, but I do mind flawed results. I have been on a quest for better mechanics for quite a while now, because my old swing would produce a big miss from time to time, and on my worst days, my big miss would show up more frequently. It could shoot par with that swing, but I could also shoot 82. So I am investing a ton of time and effort to getting rid of my worst swing flaws. It is hard work, and sometimes a struggle on the course, but my good rounds are as good as before, and my bad rounds are way better than before. I still have days where my old swing creeps back in, and that is frustrating, but for me, the quest for a better swing is worth it.

And notice I never said anything about pursuing a "perfect' swing.

let's see a video of both swings.

not everyone is a natural; those who learned the game late needs directions. this is in the boat of extreme end of the spectrum; my natural swing sucks and resulted in back problems.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

let's see a video of both swings.

not everyone is a natural; those who learned the game late needs directions. this is in the boat of extreme end of the spectrum; my natural swing sucks and resulted in back problems.

I've got a video of both. Not sure how to upload them to the forum, however. Is youtube the only way?

It's amazing how much better I hit the ball. I did have a couple pretty wild shots, but I also hit two 5 irons, one to about 4 feet and the other to about 7, both were 200+ with some wind slightly in my face. I haven't hit two shots like that all year. I also hit a 3 wood 270+ dead center down the fairway-- so far in fact the rough I'm normally way short of I hit right into. I'll try to get some videos. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about them.

I hear ya OP, if it works for you great!!

My “natural” feeling swing produces a 2 way miss and very inconsistent ball striking. I’ve managed to get to a 5 cap only because of a better than average short game.

I have a flat BS which produces a very steep DS and I can’t take it anymore. I’ve been working on it for a while and seeing some good results, but I expect to be F’ed up this whole season.

Uploading a video was surprisingly easy!

I know one is driver and the other is a mid-iron but you get the general idea.

First one is the swing I've been working on. The second is the one I played with yesterday on a 569 yard par 5. Pin on the front-ish of the green. Had 212 to the stick after this drive--which ended up in the left center of the fairway. Also the videos were in slow motion on my phone AND on my computer. Not sure why they are not anymore... Reducing the play back speed to .25 helps but not perfect... My apologies!

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU2QzHvNEs8[/media]

From the short vids ......I like your old/new move better.....

I see that you use a small loop to stay inside ; even though it's not a very balanced finish , the ball starts on a great line....did you really hit 350?

The new swing seems to take the loop under our of your action and you stay on a path outside bringing in toe strikes and the dreaded sh@=k possibility.... looks as though you're covering and pulls and cuts along with the above thoughts are all in play.....

Hope this makes sense and again , just a quick synopsis from this untrained eye!

This is a great thread. The last two years I have gotten lessons to find that perfect swing. After watching drive4dough, I realized my natural swing was so much closer to what Monte was advocating rather than holding release and big body turn as I was being instructed to do.

Anyway, back towards my natural swing with some tips from monte's video series, and I am shooting so much better. My miss is still always left. But it's one way. And compressing the ball again.

There is no ideal swung for all golfers is what I realize.

To be fair one is an iron and the other is a driver.

I know... I only really video my swings while practicing and I almost always do that with irons, so I don't have a video of the more recent swing with an iron. I'll try to get one today.

I see that you use a small loop to stay inside ; even though it's not a very balanced finish , the ball starts on a great line....did you really hit 350?

The new swing seems to take the loop under our of your action and you stay on a path outside bringing in toe strikes and the dreaded sh@=k possibility.... looks as though you're covering and pulls and cuts along with the above thoughts are all in play.....

Hope this makes sense and again , just a quick synopsis from this untrained eye!

You like "Swing 2" better? Swing 2 is far more wild and looking at it you'd never think I could hit the ball worth anything with it but for some reason I just feel like I can control the contact better. I've always fought a really bad over the top move and have been told that the best way to get rid of it is to "turn" more and limit the amount of wrist hinge. The problem with that is if I still get too much wrist and come over the top, I'm dead--its a toe strike and the ball goes NO WHERE. That's what I've been doing lately and it's made golfing absolutely miserable.

With Swing 2 I feel like I can better control what my hands are doing and my only swing thought is dropping the club back into the slot. Maybe its less the swing and more I'm not thinking about what I'm doing?

I don't know that it was really 350 but it was at least 330 as the flag was on the front part of the green (probably 10-15 yards short of center?). I did land that ball exactly where you want to though, So I probably got a good 20-30 yards of roll.

To be fair one is an iron and the other is a driver.

I know... I only really video my swings while practicing and I almost always do that with irons, so I don't have a video of the more recent swing with an iron. I'll try to get one today.

You like "Swing 2" better? Swing 2 is far more wild and looking at it you'd never think I could hit the ball worth anything with it but for some reason I just feel like I can control the contact better. I've always fought a really bad over the top move and have been told that the best way to get rid of it is to "turn" more and limit the amount of wrist hinge. The problem with that is if I still get too much wrist and come over the top, I'm dead--its a toe strike and the ball goes NO WHERE. That's what I've been doing lately and it's made golfing absolutely miserable.

I don't know that it was really 350 but it was at least 330. I did land that ball exactly where you want to though, So I probably got a good 20-30 yards of roll.

Aesthetically? No but from an impact position, you're in a much better spot....to me....than in video one...similar to Rory....certainly not as nice or as powerful but similar move.....not an insult btw , his swing is pure .....yours is effective.....effectiveness is what golf is all about .....i.e. Furyk, Trevino, Floyd, Berger, etc etc....move the ball forward consistently enough....AND I think you know and trust action #2....or at least scores say that....

Aesthetically? No but from an impact position, you're in a much better spot....to me....than in video one...similar to Rory....certainly not as nice or as powerful but similar move.....not an insult btw , his swing is pure .....yours is effective.....effectiveness is what golf is all about .....i.e. Furyk, Trevino, Floyd, Berger, etc etc....move the ball forward consistently enough....AND I think you know and trust action #2....or at least scores say that....

I've never really looked at it that way. No doubt I trust #2 more. Example, Hole 6 is a par 3 with water all down the left side, hazard short, false front, and a large collection area right. There's also a bunker left. Its a VERY intimidating shot, yesterday it was 177 to a tucked pin with a left to right wind. I pulled 7 iron and just got up and hit it. Barely missed the green left. If I'd have played that hole on Sunday I'd have been out of my mind trying to play that tee shot.

I like your "loop under" action—it's a natural shallowing move that promotes effortless speed.

I know an older guy who has a similar action on his swing, and he's one of the best strikers I've ever seen in person. Dude just doesn't miss many shots, and he can't swing hard enough anymore to miss way left.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"