2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist 718 CB Reviews Please!!!

twgolf78

Hello All

I want to make the Move to the 718 CB. I played the 716 CB on and off and handled them pretty well.

I am currently playing AP2 718 and don';t love them. Not crazy about the feel and turf interaction.

Hover around a 7 HC shoot high 70s to low 80s. Iron play is the best part about my game whilst driving and chipping are the worst.

How have the 718 Cbs been? Are they 'that' much harder to hit than the AP2???? How would they compare to the Mizuno MP 18 SC??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They may look the same as 716’s, but they did make some small changes in tech from what I gather, and I love them. Coming from PXG’s, I don’t miss them for a second. Prior to that was always Mizuno, but 18’s just didn’t do what 64’s, 15’s, did for me. (Always played a “players” cavity back, never played blades, so cant speak for them. Also I don’t see much difference from AP2, at least 718’s. More of what you rather look down at.

I’m sure you will enjoy 718 CB’s.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Don't switch from the AP2's. You will get 1 or 2 shots per round with the CB's where your like "Yeah, Sweet pure strike". Then you have a 4 or 5 shots where your just a little off and now your in defensive mode guarding from 3 putts or trying to get up and down around the greens trying to save par. I absolutely loved my CB's but the AP2's just post better scores. I'm a 6hcp and play in a 9 hole league twice a week. Looking at my scores over 20 rounds with the CB's last year I was constantly shooting 40-42 and last 15 rounds with the AP2's the worse score was a 40 and consistently shooting 37-39. Its mainly because my misses with the AP2's are not hurting me like the CB's were.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Don't switch from the AP2's. You will get 1 or 2 shots per round with the CB's where your like "Yeah, Sweet pure strike". Then you have a 4 or 5 shots where your just a little off and now your in defensive mode guarding from 3 putts or trying to get up and down around the greens trying to save par. I absolutely loved my CB's but the AP2's just post better scores. I'm a 6hcp and play in a 9 hole league twice a week. Looking at my scores over 20 rounds with the CB's last year I was constantly shooting 40-42 and last 15 rounds with the AP2's the worse score was a 40 and consistently shooting 37-39. Its mainly because my misses with the AP2's are not hurting me like the CB's were.

I understand the sentiment, but when comparing irons like this, there probably isn't much in it.

For example, I was playing a shotgun scramble last year and we started on a par 3. I had to hit a 6 iron to cover the 170 yard carry to the green - I made good contact, but the face was slightly open and my ball had push- fade movement and I ended up short and right. I was hitting my 716 CB. Would the AP2 have saved that shot? I'm not sure it would have.

I played this past weekend for then first time. Weather has been awful up here. Confronted with the same 170 carry, I pulled from the top and hit the ball fat. I don't think the AP2 saves that shot, either.

But for the rest of the roalund, I was aiming at pins and hitting targets when my driving wasn't garbage.

I've found that there is very little 7-PW of the same type of iron. No club will save a bad swing. For 4,5,6 irons and consistency, it depends on the golfer, swing repeatability, practise time, some mental focus.

As others have said to me - play what you like. You'll score better with clubs you like playing the with.

I understand the sentiment, but when comparing irons like this, there probably isn't much in it.

For example, I was playing a shotgun scramble last year and we started on a par 3. I had to hit a 6 iron to cover the 170 yard carry to the green - I made good contact, but the face was slightly open and my ball had push- fade movement and I ended up short and right. I was hitting my 716 CB. Would the AP2 have saved that shot? I'm not sure it would have.

I played this past weekend for then first time. Weather has been awful up here. Confronted with the same 170 carry, I pulled from the top and hit the ball fat. I don't think the AP2 saves that shot, either.

But for the rest of the roalund, I was aiming at pins and hitting targets when my driving wasn't garbage.

I've found that there is very little 7-PW of the same type of iron. No club will save a bad swing. For 4,5,6 irons and consistency, it depends on the golfer, swing repeatability, practise time, some mental focus.

As others have said to me - play what you like. You'll score better with clubs you like playing the with.

I had a lot of moments of thinking like that when playing my CB's. I was actually ok losing 2-3 strokes per round just because the turf interaction and feel of the CB's are far superior to the AP2's. I did a graph last year comparing my CB's to my AP2's and the +/- with the CB's was almost 10 yards where as the AP2's were 3.5 yards while hitting on my Mevo. Last year I had to account for my Left/Right and Short/Long miss while playing the CB's and this year I'm only accounting for my left/right misses while playing approach shots.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I couldn’t stand the sole interaction with the ap2 irons. I have tried them all. They hit too high and spin too much for me. I have the 718 cbs and love them. It will definitely improve your ball striking. I like knowing how far they go on a good strike and being able to work them more.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Out of all of the CB's I have hit this year these have been the best, next would be the Wilson Staff V6's

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

• 3 months later...

I had the 718 AP2s in my 5i and 6i with 7i-PW in the 718 CBs. Recently got CBs in the 5i and 6i, and this was the best equipment decision I've made this year. I think the CBs and AP2s share an equal amount of forgiveness, but the CBs just feel more pure, can be controlled more, suit my eye better, and interact better with the turf - especially the thick stuff. At your handicap, I doubt your misses are harsh enough where an AP2 would save you that much more than the CB.

Have never really gotten along with the AP2. The CB is superior from the rough and feels a lot better overall. The 718CB has some forgiveness tech in it as well. Not just cosmetic differences from the 716.

I would grab them if you like then. Hard to say how much longer Titleist will even offer the CB line as the trend is fitters push players info the AP line.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I was gaming the 714 AP2 and like other have said, the turf interaction was awful for me. I shot my best round ever with the 716 CB so I thought, what the hell, I'll just pick up the 718 cb. Hit them in the store and was as impressed with them as the 716 cb. I was lucky to find a new set of 716 so I didn't hesitate and I have been playing much better golf and a lot of it has come down to my iron shots being 1 or 2 putt distance easily. They ARE as easy to hit as the AP2 IMO, actually easier with the ground leading edge I have found. If your heart is telling you to go CB, do it. There is something to be said for liking what you are looking down at... They may be a tad shorter than the AP2 but it comes down to loft, you can always bend the CB stronger and be fine.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

such a beautiful club

are they that much harder to hit than Ap2??

I don't think there's significant difference. MOI is almost the same. Might get slightly different ball flights or yardages. 3-4 irons might vary more.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

I went from 716 CB/MB combo to 718 AP2 (with AP3 4i and 5i). I couldn't describe turf interaction on any club except my old Bridgestones J40's which had a bit of bounce. I play in dust in summer to mud in winter and am steep, so it doesn't really matter what the bottom of the club does!

AP's are definitely longer (likely stronger lofts anyway) than my CBs. And they're just easier to hit. I don't miss the smaller clubs at all. I can't say I've hit the 718CB, but I'm sure they'll be similar to the 716, smaller middle, weaker lofts, etc.

I found the CB to be fairly firm feeling. This isn't an indictment, but it certainly wasn't a preference.

Interesting how we all have different feels.... my 716s are one of the softest irons I have owned, not THE softest but still very much so. I like the little bit of feedback I get when not flushed and I found the 718s to feel pretty much the same. I found the older CB to feel more firm but its been a while since I have hit any of them.... Absolutely love these irons, though.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

These irons are outstanding and the best feeling Titleist CB since forever. I have two little ones and not getting any time to play and practice. I went to a set of Ping i210’s and it’s depressing! I’m trying so hard to maintain my 4.5 index and that’s requring me to rethink my bag.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1