2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Pick 2 out of Bear Dance, Ridge @ Castle Pines, and Fossil Trace

AU94CMK

After several years of looking at Colorado for our annual golf trip, we are finally heading there in early July. Here's our itinerary, most of which is set at this point:

Friday - fly in to Den a.m., play Bear Dance

Sat - Raven @ Three Peaks (plus a replay)

Sun - Sonnenalp & Red Sky (Fazio) (or Eagle Vail if we can't get on to Red Sky)

Mon - Breckenridge (27 holes)

Tue - Keystone River & Ranch

Wed - Fossil Trace, then fly out of Den p.m.

The only thing we're thinking about at this point is subbing in Ridge @ Castle Pines for Fossil Trace or Bear Dance. I've read great things about Bear Dance, so don't want to really give it up. We could play the Ridge on the morning of our departure, but we're staying in Silverado, and that means getting up 30 minutes earlier and bringing more traffic into play on our departure day. Plus, we don't really want to give up on Fossil Trace either as we've heard good things as well, and have liked other Jim Engh layouts we've played.

So, out of those 3, which two would you pick, and why?

Bear Dance for sure. Fossil Trace is cool and unique but is definitely a weird golf course. Fossil Trace will pair nicer with the mountain courses so I'd keep it as is. Have fun!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Bear Dance over Ridge for sure. Ridge is fun, but has a few quirky holes and lots of houses. Bear Dance is the all around better course.

If you’re cool with Jim Engh courses playing Fossil Trace, as opposed to Ridge, makes sense on your way out of town. It’s a very unique course. Looks a lot harder than it plays, but it’s really a target golf style layout. Fun course, crazy greens and bunkers. Save yourself the traffic driving down south.

Ping G425 - Oban Revenge 5
2h & 4h Ping G410 - Ping Tour 90
5-9 Srixon Z585 - Steelfiber FC90cw
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* & 50* 

TM Bigfoot Raw 56* 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten
Vice Pro

Bear Dance is a must play, Fossil Trace was OK but if I had to choose between the two nix Fossil Trace I wish I played the ridge at Castle Pines instead once I left Fossil Trace. With that being said Fossil Trace IS NOT a bad course, but compared to what is around it (within an hour) I would have FT be a back up plan to the other courses you have listed.

Callaway XR16 Pro 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 65 S
TaylorMade M1 17* Fujikura Pro 70 S
Srixon Z45h 19* Aldila Rouge Black 85S
Srixon 745 4-P Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Stinger Raw 51*-55*-59* KBS HiRev Tour
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Half Moon Raw 33.5"
Srixon Z Star

Here are links to photo tours of your three choices. They are three pretty different courses. I'd probably skip the Ridge based on your driving route. I hate to add another suggestion, but you could replace Fossil Trace with Common Ground as your last round. Common Ground doesn't have the eye candy that your other courses have but it probably has the best greens and bunkering of the bunch and it's convenient to DIA

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631939415292/ Fossil Trace Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631924335593/ Bear Dance Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631924718209/with/8153617108/ Ridge @ Castle Pines photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631924493031/ Common Ground photos

8159749755_f5695f4106_c.jpg

Fossil Trace #2 from tee

8159779430_807b6f01d7_c.jpg

Fossil Trace #10 from tee - rev

8159741081_3181fe4d7b_c.jpg

Fossil Trace #12 pitch to green

8153440881_298137bd10_c.jpg

Bear Dance #4 from tee

8153466434_d80d594f2b_c.jpg

Bear Dance #6 from tee

8153461786_12561293fc_c.jpg

Bear Dance #16 elevated tee shot

8153596581_67d1731851_c.jpg

Ridge @ Castle Pines #9 view back up fairway

8153591131_bd5d9cd757_c.jpg

Ridge @ Castle Pines #16 view back to tee

8153617108_090b610789_c.jpg

Ridge @ Castle Pines #18 from middle tee

35448779483_b7c85529b4_c.jpg

Common Ground #4 from tee 107

35420635594_318132e22f_c.jpg

Common Ground #6 par 3 147 yards

8153503227_ce937474c7_c.jpg

Common Ground #12 par 3 over marshland 219 from tips

I would pick Bear Dance and The Ridge at Castle Pines as the two I would play. That said, for the round before flying out you may want to consider Riverdale Dunes Golf Course in Brighton. It is close to the airport and is a terrific track, hosting the 1993 US Public Links Championship. While I am not a huge Pete Dye fan I really do like this course.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Bear Dance and The Ridge

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

OK, just to throw a wrench in the works, I know that Arrowhead seems to generally be less popular on this forum, but would we want to play it instead of The Ridge for the views alone, or will we be giving up a much better golf experience if we didn't play the Ridge? If we did Arrowhead, we would do that Friday afternoon and pickup Bear Dance Wed morning before we fly out.

And while I appreciate all the great suggestions on courses like Riverdale Dunes and Common Ground, we really are looking for a wow factor and a golf experience unique to Colorado. Would we have those on those course vs the ones I'm looking at currently? No doubt they'd be excellent courses...

If you are looking for eye candy, it's hard to beat Arrowhead.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631922021919 Arrowhead photo tour

8152447066_7bce303d0a_c.jpg

Arrowhead #10 from fairway

8152429391_b26e958120_c.jpg

Arrowhead #2

8152453384_efd02b0371_c.jpg

Arrowhead #4 pitch to green

8152426587_645c128be9_c.jpg

Arrowhead #5 from tee

8152420795_c0b47bc139_c.jpg

Arrowhead #11 par 3

8152417947_036b653087_c.jpg

Arrowhead #13par 3 from left side of tee box

8152418595_a1b45a7d07_c.jpg

Arrowhead #13 from back right of green

8152414887_791efda42e_c.jpg

Arrowhead #16 view from left side of green

OK, just to throw a wrench in the works, I know that Arrowhead seems to generally be less popular on this forum, but would we want to play it instead of The Ridge for the views alone, or will we be giving up a much better golf experience if we didn't play the Ridge? If we did Arrowhead, we would do that Friday afternoon and pickup Bear Dance Wed morning before we fly out.

And while I appreciate all the great suggestions on courses like Riverdale Dunes and Common Ground, we really are looking for a wow factor and a golf experience unique to Colorado. Would we have those on those course vs the ones I'm looking at currently? No doubt they'd be excellent courses...

When deciding between Fossil Trace, Arrowhead, and The Ridge, I would pick one. They all have very unique views and exemplify unique Front Range golf courses.

For views alone, I would rate them Arrowhead, The Ridge, then Fossil Trace (IMO, it only really gets wow-y on the back 9).

For a combined golf/views "value", I would rate them The Ridge, Fossil Trace, then Arrowhead.

Just another thing to consider: I'm not sure when your flights are on Wednesday, but unless you're willing to shell out the $$ for the toll road (C-470), traffic starts to get really bad around 3pm; which means having to leave for the airport by 2:15pm if playing at Arrowhead; 2:30pm for the The Ridge; and maybe 1:30pm if playing Bear Dance.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

When deciding between Fossil Trace, Arrowhead, and The Ridge, I would pick one. They all have very unique views and exemplify unique Front Range golf courses.

For views alone, I would rate them Arrowhead, The Ridge, then Fossil Trace (IMO, it only really gets wow-y on the back 9).

For a combined golf/views "value", I would rate them The Ridge, Fossil Trace, then Arrowhead.

Just another thing to consider: I'm not sure when your flights are on Wednesday, but unless you're willing to shell out the $$ for the toll road (C-470), traffic starts to get really bad around 3pm; which means having to leave for the airport by 2:15pm if playing at Arrowhead; 2:30pm for the The Ridge; and maybe 1:30pm if playing Bear Dance.

Thanks - good info!

Wow-factor being the highest priority, I would select arrowhead over the ridge. I think the golf, generally speaking, is weaker but the views are incredible. I call it an instagram course where you will get awesome pictures.

My progression when I have people in from out of town is bear dance, arrowhead, highlands ranch (home course), the ridge and don't tend to venture much further than this.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Green Valley Ranch isn't too bad of a course and it's close to DIA.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Update August 2019, played the following:

1) CommonGround - great greens with undulation and character. Width off the tee but some blind shots and angles keep every hole interesting. Pin placement makes a big difference on difficulty. Great to walk, no houses. Not as scenic as the others, no elevation change. Chill atmosphere and priced extremely well. Also a par-3 course (didn't get to play).

2) Fossil Trace- fun, memorable design. Did not feel too quirky or tricked up to me. Lots of elevation change, rock obstacles, funky greens. Back-9 better than the front. Would play again, not particularly long.

3) Arrowhead - fantastic visual setting. Some blah holes but enough to keep you interested (No. 3, No. 11, No. 13, No. 16 come to mind). Pace of play was brutal on weekend afternoon. Not sure if its a course you would play often but as part of a trip, would do.

4) The Ridge - great condition, lots of scenic views and elevation change. Feels disconnected with big distance between greens tee boxes. Not particularly memorable to me, feels a bit cookie cutter with some exceptions (No.5 and 15 short par4s). Would not feel the need to play again.

Talking to many locals, courses that were mentioned multiple times but didn't get to see: Walnut Creek, Murphy Creek, Breckenridge, Bear Dance.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a couple weeks in Colorado.

Bear Dance was the best course we played in the Denver area. Very scenic track, with its secluded feel and elevated tees etc. Cool ambience in the clubhouse too.

By contrast, The Ridge at CP was not quite so good with too many houses on around the property, but still with many excellent holes especially the last two with impressive rock sites.

Commonground is Ok but less undulating and so lacks a bit of spark although its good enough to host the Mid Am qualifying rounds. Very cool green complexes and bunkering by T Doak.

> @Chanceman said:

> Just back from a couple weeks in Colorado.

> Bear Dance was the best course we played in the Denver area. Very scenic track, with its secluded feel and elevated tees etc. Cool ambience in the clubhouse too.

> By contrast, The Ridge at CP was not quite so good with too many houses on around the property, but still with many excellent holes especially the last two with impressive rock sites.

> Commonground is Ok but less undulating and so lacks a bit of spark although its good enough to host the Mid Am qualifying rounds. Very cool green complexes and bunkering by T Doak.

Would love to read a trip report about your visit to our fair state.

I have mentioned a few of our courses but not in one post.

Basically we arrived in Denver around lunchtime and went straight to Commonground for a 9 hole pipe-opener before the jet lag set in. Nice course with modest undulations but challenging greens and bunkering. In remarkable condition but the US Mid Amateur was played there only a week later, so not surprising.

Next day was Bear Dance as I said earlier, probably the pick of the local courses especially its seclusion from housing and some superb vistas. I liked the elevated tees and cosy green complexes.

Then The Ridge at Castle Pines was a very good golf course spoiled a bit by all the housing. Some good par 3s. The last two holes were memorable with the big rock formations as both backdrop and obstacle.

That was Denver, so we then headed out to Ballyneal for two days where the golf was magnificent. We enjoyed the par 3 Mulligan course first up. Pure bliss for a late afternoon round. The caddies helped a lot with directions as it would be easy to get lost out there.

Comfortable accommodations and pretty good food in the clubhouse. Somewhat expensive!

Playing the big course was a highlight. The chop hills provide a spectacular basis for the golf course and some of the greens are way out there. My personal highlight was grabbing a bag and playing the Mulligan on my own as the sun went down.

Back to Denver and then out to the Rockies where we were based at Glenwood Springs. Hit the Vail Oktoberfest on the way - very cool.

Ironbridge was very enjoyable as I said earlier with its four hole finish high up in the canyon. Good value course.

Finally the scenic trip out to Grand Junction along the Colorado River and a round at Redlands Mesa which was a highlight with its fantastic scenery. Its a bit like Rams Hill in California with its long carries and wild greens.

Going back to the airport we decided to drive the whole length of Colfax Avenue from west to east. There's America, right there.

• Like 1

> @Chanceman said:

> Going back to the airport we decided to drive the whole length of Colfax Avenue from west to east. There's America, right there.

You missed out when Colfax was nothing but pr0n shops and drug dealers. #murica :lol: