Sunglasses and putting?

Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of FranceUnregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭
When I wear ‘em, I three putt. When I don’t, I drain everything as if Mephistopheles, himself, were my caddie. These are $20 no-names I got at the driving range. Other than the putting, they’re lovely, for the price (they turn the sky periwinkle). Yes? No? Maybe?

Comments

• rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 765 ✭✭
    Wish I could but can't putt or anything else with shades on? It messes with my perception of distance or so my brain thinks?
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • 3sip3sip Members Posts: 408
    I wear shades always except putting.
  • FlopperFlopper Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    Always wear glasses. I always get big glasses
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,214 ✭✭
    They don't call me Shady Q for nothin.'
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭
    Qqq123xx wrote:

They don't call me Shady Q for nothin.'

Gay rapper?

• mark174acemark174ace Members Posts: 138 ✭✭
    I would to wear sunglasses when i play, but I cannot read the greens with them on. I do not want to keep taking them on and off because I know I will lose or break them.
  • kujositkujosit Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Just like others, I wear them when I play and take them off when I read on the greens. Tried different optic lens but still can't read the greens correctly/consistently.
  • RobNY22RobNY22 Members Posts: 407 ✭✭
    kujosit wrote:
    Just like others, I wear them when I play and take them off when I read on the greens. Tried different optic lens but still can't read the greens correctly/consistently.

Same. Oakley Flak 2.0’s and just put them on the back of my head when I’m putting.
    PING G25 10.5°
    PING G25 4W/16.5°
    PING G25 3H/20°
    PING i200 4 - UW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 54ºSS, 58ºSS
    PING Karsten TR Anser 5 - Starshot Finish / Odyssey Milled RSX #7
  • bluedotbluedot Members Posts: 3,386 ✭✭

When I wear 'em, I three putt. When I don't, I drain everything as if Mephistopheles, himself, were my caddie. These are $20 no-names I got at the driving range. Other than the putting, they're lovely, for the price (they turn the sky periwinkle). Yes? No? Maybe?

Two thoughts for you:

1. There isn't much likelihood that a $20 pair of sunglasses has lenses of decent good optical quality, so it isn't surprising that you don't see the sort of detail necessary to read putts well. It's a get-what-you-pay-for thing.

2. You don't mention whether or not the lenses are polarized; if they are, then forget it for golf. Polarized lenses are great for reducing glare, but the trade-off is a loss of resolution; think about trying to read an LED screen on your car dash or smartphone with polarized lenses on, no matter how high quality they are. Using Oakley as sort of the industry standard for this sort of thing, their golf lenses are never polarized unless you specifically order them that way.

Doubtless, there is going to be some loss of resolution with ANY sunglasses, and that's going to show up most in putting, I think. But again, there is a trade-off; less glare, less eye strain, etc., so you're getting some benefits back in the other direction. Think of it this way; Olympic rifle competitors usually wear shooting glasses; what does that tell you?
  • ironmikesironmikes Members Posts: 1,429 ✭✭
    Wear sunglasses all the time when playing. has not affected my putting in a negative way.

Have been wearing polarized for years since I fish a lot and no issues with depth or reading greens
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭
    Wear my Maui Jims all the time. No negative impact on putting.
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    Taylor Made 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,258 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 #13
    I wear
    [background=transparent]Oakley Flak 2.0’s [background=transparent]all the time. Never seen a difference. I've had some great putting rounds with them on [/background][/background]
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • smileykj218smileykj218 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Putting = no sunglasses for me
  • Back9Back9 ClubWRX Posts: 693 ClubWRX
    I wear prescription sunglasses. Haven't putted without them in years. Maybe I should try it.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,028 ClubWRX
    I started wearing sunglasses during play 5 or 6 years ago. Oakley Flak w/XLJ, first the G30 and now the Prizm Golf lenses. During that time, my best ball striking and putting rounds have been on overcast days when I don't wear them. I've tried wearing sunglasses only during full shots and taking them off for putting, but then I end up squinting and that's worse than if I just leave them on. I'd prefer to go back to playing without them from a pure performance perspective, but my eyes are sensitive to bright light so I'm a bit stuck.

Don't get me wrong, I've occasionally played some really good golf with the sunglasses on, but none of my incredible putting rounds have been with sunglasses on. There's enough correlation between my results over the last few years and when I started wearing glasses to make me pause and consider if the sunglasses are actually a cause of poor play.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • mac4presmac4pres Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Never used to putt with glasses on but bought a pair of the oakley prizm golf lenses and now I don't even think about it. I actually played 2 rounds without taking my glasses off to putt before I even realized I wasn't taking them off. I don't think they make it easier to read the green but they don't hurt either.
  • bluedotbluedot Members Posts: 3,386 ✭✭
    mac4pres wrote:

Never used to putt with glasses on but bought a pair of the oakley prizm golf lenses and now I don't even think about it. I actually played 2 rounds without taking my glasses off to putt before I even realized I wasn't taking them off. I don't think they make it easier to read the green but they don't hurt either.

They are remarkable lenses, aren't they? I had been wearing the G30 Oakley lenses (prescription) for several years and they were good; got a new prescription and ordered the Prizm lenses and couldn't believe it. They live up to whatever hype you read about them.
  • JohnnypensoJohnnypenso Ooooh, that's a duff. Members Posts: 199 ✭✭
    I can't play with sunglasses at all. I have a couple of different magnetic clip ons that go with my prescription glasses and for years had prescription shades and just never liked them when playing golf.
  • Jab3384Jab3384 Members Posts: 641
    I think I actually putt better with my Prizm Golf lenses on!
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 823 ✭✭
    If you wear bifocals does it matter if they are sunglasses? I don’t think so
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Members Posts: 551 ✭✭
    mac4pres wrote:

I wear the same and keep them on when putting. I find myself squinting if I take them off. Great lenses.

There are rounds I don't wear them at all. But once on they stay on.
  • ef131313ef131313 Members Posts: 99
    Maui Jim’s used for putting as well
  • TinCuppingTinCupping Members Posts: 855
    I knew it!!! Thats the root of why im not on tour. All these years i thought it was my shoelaces and come to find out ive been wrong all along. **** them shades.
    Ping G400 9.0 Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3W Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3H Tour 85X
    Ping G400 4-UW AWT 2.0X
    Ping Eye 2 Gorge S,L DG Spinner
    Ping 50th Anniversary Anser
    Titleist Pro V1
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,310 ✭✭
    I wear progressive lenses but have a pair of single distance sunglasses for golf. No sunglasses equals no golf.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • myphed1myphed1 Members Posts: 253 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 #26
    I have prescription Bolle sunglasses that I have to wear. I can’t wear contacts here in AZ, too dry. My Rx sunglasses have to be perfect though, I’ve had the same eye doctor for 10+ years and they know my priority is being able to play golf and see well. If an updated prescription comes back a little off they will remake the lenses until they are perfect. I’ve used transitions lenses with success as well. The super wrapped/curved lenses aren’t easy to get right so I stay away from those.
    Robb
    Tempe, AZ
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,550 ClubWRX
    Count me in the group that do not putt with sunglasses on. I can't see the line as well and my putting performance is definitely worse. I also don't want to wear sunglasses when playing only to take them of putting. My reasoning isn't about losing the glasses or breaking them. My issue would be readjustment of my pupils between putting and other shots. It is simple for me to just play without sunglasses on.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • vmanvman Members Posts: 1,228 ✭✭
    Oakley prescription Half Jacket 2.0's for me. Still rocking the G30 lens but going to try the Prizms this year.
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 10.5*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    ADAMS PRO MINI 18*
    CALLAWAY APEX 4-A
    CALLAWAY MD4 RAW 52* 58*
    ODYSSEY TUTTLE FLOW 35"
  • gdb99gdb99 Members Posts: 1,627 ✭✭
    If it’s sunny, sunglasses are on for the round. Including putting.

I wear Oakley or Rudy Project.
    Cobra King LTD, Black Tie Regular flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular
    Mizuno MP-4's
    Vokey SM7 54M
    Odyssey #2
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭
    Well, I was pretty sure this wasn’t just one of my screwball notions, so thanks, all, for that comfort. I didn’t start wearing sunglasses until a few months ago when one of my regular playing partners asked why I didn’t. On a lark, I tried on a cheap pair. I liked how they affected color (a make or break consideration), so I bought them. They’re great for driving a car, but I think I’ll ditch them for golf.
  • mac4presmac4pres Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Hit wrote:

mac4pres wrote:

I wear the same and keep them on when putting. I find myself squinting if I take them off. Great lenses.

There are rounds I don't wear them at all. But once on they stay on.

The only down fall with them is the course looks significantly more brown with them on. Often my partners will mention how good the greens look and I'll have to remove my glasses to see what they see. The Oakley's prizm lenses definitely makes the dry spots stand out.