What's your minimum for Hall of Fame

playar32playar32 Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
I know the actual criteria is 15 tour wins, or 2 majors/Players championship.

But what's YOUR minimum?

For example, if a played won a "B" tournament every year (the one opposite a WGC event), every year in a row for 15 years, but missed the cut in every other event, would you still considered them HOF?

I know 15 wins is rare, and winning 15 years in a row is extremely difficult.

Comments

• McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,732 ✭✭
    My minimum is 15 tour wins, or two majors/players. And anybody named tiger
    Enjoy the chase.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,013 ✭✭
    15 tour wins and 2 majors for me. Other wise almost every 1 major winner out there is in.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• playar32playar32 Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
    I guess what I'm getting at is what the rules say vs what you think.

For example, if Webb Simpson wins the players today is he HOF worthy?
    If we won’t remember you’re name without the HOF in 50 years I think you shouldn’t be in. I feel like Webb isn’t memorable at the moment
    Enjoy the chase.
  • fowlerscousinfowlerscousin Members Posts: 796 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 #6
    If any of these three criteria are met.

3 or more majors. Minimum 5 Ryder cup appearances. 15 tour victories
  • playar32playar32 Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
    I agree. I think about some guys who just kinda hover around. They can win tourney's and get stuff done, but I don't know about hall of fame.

Kinda like Brooks Koepka (?), if he somehow gets another major, I don't know if I would put him in the HOF.
  • golfnoob25golfnoob25 Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,055 ClubWRX
    edited May 13, 2018 #9
    Whatever the criteria are, don't ever think about it unless someone whose speech I want to hear gets in.

OP - you haven't given YOUR opinion.
  • golfer929golfer929 Members Posts: 231 ✭✭
    I would say..

20 Wins

3 Majors

2 Ryder Cup/President Cup appearance

100 total weeks inside Top 50 OWGR
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    I’d like to see them go to some sort of point system like the LPGA uses. Factor in everything that’s important and let the chips fall where they may.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,790 ✭✭
    I would say a points system of 24-30 points, with a win counting for 1 point and a major for 6-8 points, possibly points for other related achievements.

So these kind of players would all be equal for me:

24 wins+0 majors

17 wins+1 major

10 wins+2 majors

3 wins+3 majors

Majors are more important than regular events. But hypothetically if you win 3 majors, then didn't win a single other Tour event (you would be exempt for hundreds of tournaments on the regular Tour), that's possibly more of a flaw than not winning a major.
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    10 Tour wins and two majors. The Players counts like a regular tournament. And for pete's sake, put Dave Stockton in already.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,072 ✭✭
    I can't do minimums, especially when you are considering those who play mostly outside the PGA Tour.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,072 ✭✭
    McCann1 wrote:

If we won't remember you're name without the HOF in 50 years I think you shouldn't be in. I feel like Webb isn't memorable at the moment

It worked for Chi Chi Rodriguez (8 PGA Tour wins) who got into the HOF in 1992.

Will John Daly (5 wins, 2 majors) make it?
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,055 ClubWRX
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,013 ✭✭

McCann1 wrote:

If we won't remember you're name without the HOF in 50 years I think you shouldn't be in. I feel like Webb isn't memorable at the moment

It worked for Chi Chi Rodriguez (8 PGA Tour wins) who got into the HOF in 1992.

Will John Daly (5 wins, 2 majors) make it?

I’d vote him in. Vs say some of these 1 major guys . 1 major you can sneak up on or back into. You aren’t going to do that twice. Win 2 and you’re on another level.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,338 ✭✭
    playar32 wrote:

I know the actual criteria is 15 tour wins, or 2 majors/Players championship.

But what's YOUR minimum?

For example, if a played won a "B" tournament every year (the one opposite a WGC event), every year in a row for 15 years, but missed the cut in every other event, would you still considered them HOF?

I know 15 wins is rare, and winning 15 years in a row is extremely difficult.

That is the criteria for being on the ballot, not for induction.

I use the DL3 test. The equivalent of his career: in. Anything less: probably not.
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,474 ✭✭
    I think Janzen is the cusp. 2 US Opens, 1 Players Championship, Couples was also on that cusp with only one Major. Lehman would be a no go.

LPGA standards are too tough. Only entries last 20 years using LPGA point system would be Woods, Singh, and Mickelson. Also rans like Norman, Els, Love & Faldo would have missed out.
  • KSPKSP Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Roughly:

10 wins (pga) and 2 majors.

20 wins (pga) and 1 major.

30 wins (pga) and 0 majors.

Don’t really know how to factor in European tour wins compared to pga wins.

50%? 70%?

If you’re very close but short, then maybe player of the year or reaching world number 1 might be a factor.

Interesting tidbits I just looked up:

Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw both have 19 PGA wins. Dustin Johnson, Jim Furyk, and Curtis Strange all have 17 PGA tour wins. Fred Couples and Corey Pavin both have 15 wins (and are the same age).

82,79,73.... Sam, Tiger, and Jack.

Totally agree 2 majors are very significant accomplishment, but when I look at Daly's major record I see 2 wins and mostly a horrible record of missing cuts and playing bad most of the time when he made cuts. Just not much for overall excellence in his career, IMO.
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,718 ClubWRX

I’d like to see them go to some sort of point system like the LPGA uses. Factor in everything that’s important and let the chips fall where they may.
    She always has the most logical answer in these types of threads, lol

I’m with Robin on the points system👌🏼

You guys, even the ones of ya that I love, are a bunch of putzes, lolol😜

Carry on🍻

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,474 ✭✭
    LPGA HOF Point System adapted for PGA tour. 1 point (PGA) tour win, 2 Points for a Major, 1 point for POY or (Vardon). 27 points required for entry.

I told you it was tough.
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,679 ✭✭

I’m with Robin on the points system👌🏼

You guys, even the ones of ya that I love, are a bunch of putzes, lolol😜

Carry on🍻

RP
    Nice to see you on here Richard!

The nice thing about the points system is that other finishes do somewhat get rewarded. Player of the Year, scoring average and such.

Who's having the better year? Finau or Potter Jr? Finau 16 events and 14 cuts and a more high finishes.

Potter Jr has a win but has missed 10 of 17 cuts.

But too many on here it's cut and dried about total wins only.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,790 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 #25
    Shilgy wrote:

I'd like to see them go to some sort of point system like the LPGA uses. Factor in everything that's important and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm with Robin on the points system����

You guys, even the ones of ya that I love, are a bunch of putzes, lolol��

Carry on��

RP
    Nice to see you on here Richard!

The nice thing about the points system is that other finishes do somewhat get rewarded. Player of the Year, scoring average and such.

Who's having the better year? Finau or Potter Jr? Finau 16 events and 14 cuts and a more high finishes.

Potter Jr has a win but has missed 10 of 17 cuts.

But too many on here it's cut and dried about total wins only.

People also put too much emphasis on the numbers of wins. Context is everything and sometimes it's ok to finish second, especially in majors.

What were the best moments of Chris DiMarco, Rocco Mediate and Bob May's careers? How would they be introduced? Ah Chris, yes you know Chris, he won the 2000 Sei Pennsylvania Classic...nope. He took peak Tiger Woods to a playoff in one of the most iconic Masters tournaments of all-time.

Ernie Els had 57 worldwide wins...but also 54 world second-places. Of course, golf is about winning, but it isn't like other sports. To be second, it means you were better than 140 others that week mostly.
  • OutlierOutlier OUTLIER Members Posts: 1,195 ✭✭
    playar32 wrote:

I guess what I'm getting at is what the rules say vs what you think.

For example, if Webb Simpson wins the players today is he HOF worthy?

So really you wanted to name this thread "Is Webb an H.O.F.er?". Really? You cannot be serious.....
    Yuck wrote:

LPGA HOF Point System adapted for PGA tour. 1 point (PGA) tour win, 2 Points for a Major, 1 point for POY or (Vardon). 27 points required for entry.

I told you it was tough.

Didn't know it was that tough....So no Boom, Boom; Davis Love III right on the fence. O'Meara- out. I think I like it!!!! But then what would we argue about?
    Outlier wrote:

Yuck wrote:

I told you it was tough.

Didn't know it was that tough....So no Boom, Boom; Davis Love III right on the fence. O'Meara- out. I think I like it!!!! But then what would we argue about?
    Well..there’s always politics
    Enjoy the chase.
    KSP wrote:

Roughly:

50%? 70%?

If you’re very close but short, then maybe player of the year or reaching world number 1 might be a factor.

Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw both have 19 PGA wins. Dustin Johnson, Jim Furyk, and Curtis Strange all have 17 PGA tour wins. Fred Couples and Corey Pavin both have 15 wins (and are the same age).

So Couples made HOF over Pavin cause his has a cuter ****?
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,338 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 #30
    Outlier wrote:

KSP wrote:

Roughly:

50%? 70%?

So Couples made HOF over Pavin cause his has a cuter ****?

2 players, won that proto-WGC event that I am forgetting the name of, no leaky wife-selected Ryder Cup rain gear
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Daly? Never.

I would NEVER vote for him, but I suspect shortly after his lifestyle catches up with him at say 54.....he will become a sympathetic figure and we'll fondly remember his courageous fight with his inner demons, and how through it all he was a nice guy. He gets in much to my chagrin.