Golf Sunglasses for Big Heads

Dash BoogieDash Boogie Hole in ThreeMembers Posts: 130 ✭✭
I have a size 7 7/8 noggin and I often find it difficult to get sunglasses that can keep up. My go to sunglasses for regular wear are RayBan New Wayfarers in a size large (58-18 I believe). Sometimes I'll wear them out on the course, but I find their bulkiness to be a bit of a distraction. I am a runner as well, and ideally I'd like to find a pair that can double as a golf/runner pair of shades.

Fellow big heads, what sunglasses do you sport? I feel like every pair of Oakleys I've tried on is way too narrow in the face. RayBan makes a "Chromance" new wayfarer that seems nice and light, but the lenses options aren't as good. Open to suggestions.

Driver: Ping G400 Max, UST Mamiya ATTAS Coool 6S
Fairway: Ping G25 4 wood, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7S
Irons: Taylormade P790, Mitsubishi OTI 105 S
Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 4, 56 and 60
Putter: SeeMore DB4X

Comments

• double or triple?double or triple? Members Posts: 1,971 ✭✭
    I’ve used Oakley “Asian fit” glasses before and they rested comfortably on my head without feeling like they were about pop off my face.
  • Dash BoogieDash Boogie Hole in Three Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    I've seen "asian fit" on their website. Like clothing, I just automatically assumed that meant smaller. I will look into that further. Thank you for the suggestion!

• DK<80DK<80 Members Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 #4

I've used Oakley "Asian fit" glasses before and they rested comfortably on my head without feeling like they were about pop off my face.

I have a pair of these "asian fit" Oakley's. I think it refers primarily to the nose bridge piece being bigger.....that's what worked for me. Most other glasses slide down my face because my nose is small. Can't say for sure if it does have something to do with a wider size as well?

But I do have a bigger head and these fit perfect!
    TaylorMade SLDR 430 12°
    Titleist 917F2 15°
    TaylorMade r9 19°
    Cleveland Classic 4h 23°
    Titleist 712 AP2 (5-PW)
    Cleveland 588 RTG (54°, 60°, 64°)
    Nike Method Core MC-4iX
  • bmellisenbmellisen Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭
    I golf and run. And have a big head. Tifosi makes a pair that works for me for both. Don’t remember what style but google would probably help you figure it out.
  • MoshjeanMoshjean Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    +1 for Oakley

I have a pair of Oakley Radar Prizm and they are top notch in quality and fit (I have a big head too 7 3/4)

I also wear Ray Ban Justin’s with no issue when I golf, but YMMV
    Life is good
  • WannabePaperTigerWannabePaperTiger Members Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Another vote for tifosi and Asian fit Oakley’s. The Asian fit is for wide faces/heads and lack of nose bridge. There are smaller nose pieces though so you could change them.
  • pollopollo Members Posts: 260 ✭✭
    Huge head here, size 8. I've been using Oakley Sliver XL's and they fit great and lightweight. Tons on color/lens combos.
  • dhartmann34dhartmann34 Members Posts: 670 ✭✭
    I've got the same size noggin as you. I use Reks. I have both Slingblade and Sports. They're comfortable, durable, and affordable. Honestly, the best pairs of sunglasses I've ever purchased.

I have a size 7 7/8 noggin and I often find it difficult to get sunglasses that can keep up. My go to sunglasses for regular wear are RayBan New Wayfarers in a size large (58-18 I believe). Sometimes I'll wear them out on the course, but I find their bulkiness to be a bit of a distraction. I am a runner as well, and ideally I'd like to find a pair that can double as a golf/runner pair of shades.

Fellow big heads, what sunglasses do you sport? I feel like every pair of Oakleys I've tried on is way too narrow in the face. RayBan makes a "Chromance" new wayfarer that seems nice and light, but the lenses options aren't as good. Open to suggestions.
  • Sh00terMcgavinSh00terMcgavin Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    Oakley Radar XL. They are a bit on the tight side at first, but I have found after a few weeks of wear, they will stretch a bit. My head isn't quite as big as yours (7 1/2") but they seem to work well for me.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6 M5
    TEE EX10 Beta but searching
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x
  • Dash BoogieDash Boogie Hole in Three Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    For those wondering, I went the Hunter S. Thompson / Walter Sobchak route and got some amber tinted Generals from Ray Ban.

• SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,885 ✭✭
    Checkout Goodr... they released a BFG line which is for big head dudes. $35, polarized, super lightweight, they don't slip/slide down your face at all (made for running actually), they look good and they have cool colors. I really like this company.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • maineultraclassicmaineultraclassic Members Posts: 9
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #13
    http://www.fatheadz.com

Great sunglasses and glasses for big head people.

My hat size is 8-1/2, so finding sunglasses used to be as hard as finding a hat.
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,824 ✭✭
    Try the EVZero Paths with the Prizm Golf lens. They are probably the largest/widest Oakley has to offer and fits my big cranium. At least, until they snap like my old Zero XL's back in the 2000's;)
  • TateTate Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
    M2 9.5
    M2 15
    MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3
    MP18 SC 4-5
    MP18 6-PW
    SM6 52.8
    SM6 56.10
    SM6 60.4
    2016 Select Newport 2
  • gibbyfangibbyfan Members Posts: 1,191 ✭✭
    Those of you looking, I would actually encourage you to see your eye doctor. I, like you all, have a larger head and finding the sunglasses off the shelf was a challenge. I ended up at my eye doctor a looked through their collections of frames. I found a pair that was close to the Raybans line and had them order me a pair. They fit way better and I could specify the lenses. I didn't need my RX in them. They ended being way less than it would have been at a Oakley store.
  • dikaia22dikaia22 Treat Yo'Self! Members Posts: 996 ✭✭
    I was a long time oakley guy and recently went to Costa. They have a width selector you can filter by on their website, and I will be honest the quality of the optics if far superior to anything else I have gotten previously. I was worried about how the polarized may effect depth perception on the golf course and it really has had no ill effect.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Kyle[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Taylor Made Tour Issue 2017 M2, 8.5*, Matrix Black Tie 70M4X
    Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
    Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
    Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
    Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
    Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist Prov1x[/font]
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,938 ✭✭
    pollo wrote:
    Huge head here, size 8. I've been using Oakley Sliver XL's and they fit great and lightweight. Tons on color/lens combos.

Was coming to post the sliver XL. I have 2 pair. Love them.
    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,854 ✭✭
    Smith PIVLOCK

Smith%20PIVLOCK%20V2%20MAX%201ES_7D.jpg..
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • regiwstrukregiwstruk Members Posts: 583 ✭✭
    Had trouble nailing down the sporty look - Oakley, Smith, Nike, etc. Big fan of the Electric California Knoxville XL. Hat is 7 7/8 as well.
  • Pcola KenPcola Ken Members Posts: 143
    Costas fit my large melon and don't slip when I'm sweating down here on the Gulf. I always get polarized so I can wear them by the water.

I wore Oakleys for a long time, but only certain versions. They make great glasses too.
  • dikaia22dikaia22 Treat Yo'Self! Members Posts: 996 ✭✭
    Pcola Ken wrote:

Costas fit my large melon and don't slip when I'm sweating down here on the Gulf. I always get polarized so I can wear them by the water.

I wore Oakleys for a long time, but only certain versions. They make great glasses too.

Better Batten down the hatches man. Sounding like it may get Nautical down your way later this week!
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Kyle[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Taylor Made Tour Issue 2017 M2, 8.5*, Matrix Black Tie 70M4X
    Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
    Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
    Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
    Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
    Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist Prov1x[/font]
  • GuacGuac Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Smith Lowdown XL. Best glasses I've ever owned.
  • Pcola KenPcola Ken Members Posts: 143
    dikaia22 wrote:

Pcola Ken wrote:

Better Batten down the hatches man. Sounding like it may get Nautical down your way later this week!

It looks like the storm is heading this way! The hurricane shutters are going up!
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,394 ✭✭
    Oakley M Frame?
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,254 ✭✭
    These should do the trick.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    I have Costa Tuna Alleys the fit is great but they are fog machines in humidity and they are way too expensive for me not to be perfect, so I’d go another way
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • jibsliderjibslider Members Posts: 17
    I'm an optometrist.

Not necessarily a comment specifically for XL size frames, but I have a patient that while hitting out of a bunker unearthed a hidden rock that struck his sunglasses and shattered his glass lens into one of his eyes and he now doesn't have any functional vision in that eye.

Ever since then, I've recommended impact resistant lens materials for golf and find that tint really is just personal preference regardless of the science behind the brand's explanation.

FWIW, my patient still plays golf and says he now just blames his missed putts on his blind eye.
  • moosehead222moosehead222 Moosehead Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    My recommendation is:

(1) I think places like Lens Crafters should be able to bend the frames to fit you. They heat the plastic so when they are done it is semi permanent.

(2) Expensive option - Oakley but one of their top of the line frames. Of course you need to try them but they will not get loose over time.

I am still wearing two pairs after 10 years and never had to tighten them.

ps. A company benefit was to get a few pair every year otherwise I would have never tried them due to the cost.

ps2. A side bar is that their golf lens is great because it lets more light in so you can play in clouding weather.

ps3. Another side bar is that they have a custom location for bi-focals that does not interfere with your golf swing.. Retail stores probably do not know about this feature but it is fantastic if you need readers.
    Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 Aldila Rogue 65-S, RIP Alpha 60-S
    3 Wood: Titleist 904F 15 Fujikura Speeder S
    5 Wood: Titleist 904F 19 Aldila NV 75-S
    Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21 Graphic Design 85s
    Irons: Miura CB-202 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
    Wedges: Mizuno S18 50,55,60 S18 UST Recoil 95 F4
    Putter: Titleist Select
  • WarEagleGolfWarEagleGolf Members Posts: 303 ✭✭
    Multiple pairs of Smith's. Redmond's, 7 5/8, but their offerings have 3 base curvatures, all measured (I've found 60 width of lens with at least 125 arm.length has been enough.

They also have a version of a sunglass then a "XL" version as well. All sorts of styles, I like copper and bronze lenses from them, chromapop (plastic - but amazeballs) or techlite glass. Have owned 4 pair, game two now.
    PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
    PING G400 Fujikura XLR8 61 16.5*
    PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
    PING Vault Anser2