Solar Sleeves and other UV Clothing, What's Best IYO

jkumpirejkumpire Members Posts: 732 ✭✭
edited May 14, 2018 in Golf Style and Accessories #1
In spite of every sunblock known to man, after a long career of umpiring and golf with very pale skin I am losing parts of my face, and only one or two minor spots on my arms. Thankfully they have only been basal cell carcinomas so far.

However, it is time for 'solar sleeves' at least, and something that can cover the neck but be somewhat cool if I can find it.

Since the last thread on this topic seemed to die last August, I thought I would start a new one, looking for product evaluations/suggestions for arm covers, and quality UV apparel, including good, high quality wide brimmed hats. There are so many options out on the market it's hard to find what are good ones and what aren't, especially when NIke closed out their line of sleeves late last year, or early this year.

What do you use, what have you found that works for you?

Thanks! image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />

Comments

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,353 ✭✭
    I've been using Nike Solar Sleeves for over a year now. They work very well IMO because I'm pretty pale as well and my arms never get burnt wearing them. To be fair I haven't used any other brands but I believe there are several others. The Nike sleeves I have are very good and I think they help me stay cool as well.

I also wear one of these in the summer:

file_4_1_2.png
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • ChomperChomper ClubWRX Posts: 1,068 ✭✭
    N-rit solar sleeves

ShinyMod

Cool-tac

All work well, all last about 6-9 months. All on Amazon.

I am now getting comments about how tan my hand is v my arm. Great sun protection. Not as hot as you think, it is no problem in 100+ temps.

I pretty much don't play without sleeves any more, and haven't for 2+ years.
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,901 ✭✭
    I had some sleeves made by a bicycle company that worked the best. They had yarn in the sleeves that made them cool when the wind would blow. Probably not as useful on the course as it is on the bike but still a nice feature when it got breezy.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    Sleeves with wide brimmed hats are great.

On the LPGA, I think they use more of the shawl-style
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,876 ✭✭
    SunDay hats are pretty effective at sun blockage and are very lightweight.
  • larrywlarryw lov_betti Austin, TxMembers Posts: 183 ✭✭
    Elixir

On Amazon 4 or 8 pair for around $3 a pair. They are light weight (better than the Nike) and the hotter it gets the cooler they feel - if there is any wind blowing at all. I have tried several types and these are the best for me.
    Tour Edge Exotics EXS driver
    Mizuno JPX 850 3W
    Mizuno JPX850 19, hybrid
    Callaway CR16 4-pw irons
    Ping Tour-W 56/14 SW, 47/08 & 60/10 wedges
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter
  • 03trdblack03trdblack ClubWRX Posts: 1,849 ClubWRX
    Columbia Freezer zero arm sleeves are the set I use. Very thin and cool feeling, love them.
    larryw wrote:

Elixir

On Amazon 4 or 8 pair for around $3 a pair. They are light weight (better than the Nike) and the hotter it gets the cooler they feel - if there is any wind blowing at all. I have tried several types and these are the best for me.

How long do they last for you? Look pretty nice and a **** of a lot cheaper than Nike.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,544 ClubWRX
    I use long sleeve solid color fishing shirts under my polo. They are lightweight and not too warm to me. Lots of good brands. I get Denali Performance. You can also jazz it up with a pattern as long as you like fish stuff.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • icemakricemakr Charter Members Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018 #11
    Coolibar has great UV protection gear

Not the cheapest but good quality

Be safe, get your skin checked by a dermatologist

✌🏼
    Cobra King F9 SPEEDBACK 9(-1) 2KXV Blue<br />Cobra F9 Tour 15.5* Atmos<br />Ping g400 7w DVS 80<br />Cobra King oversize 21* hybrid<br />Cobra King Forged TEC black 6-GW Steelfiber i95<br />Cobra King Black 58*<br />Callaway 64*<br />Tour Issue 2ball<br /><br /> MELANOMA SURVIVOR "kids wear your sunscreen !!"<br />OG wrxer (check my member #)<br />
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,331 ClubWRX
    edited May 15, 2018 #12
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

larryw wrote:

Elixir

How long do they last for you? Look pretty nice and a **** of a lot cheaper than Nike.

IMO the Nike ones are much higher quality.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,911 ✭✭
    I use Tilley hats with the medium width brim and the mesh inserts for cooling. I can get about four years out of one if I really baby it with frequent hand washing and air drying.

I use the Eclipse brand sun sleeves bought via Amazon. They are dreadfully expensive (like $27/pair!) but one pair is 2-1/2 years old and the other nearly 2 years and both are still usable althougha but stretched out of shape now. Again, gentle cycle washing and don’t put them in the dryer.

I have a couple of UA neck gaiters but they are just too darned sweaty in the summer so I depend on sunscreen, hat and a turned up shirt collar to protect my neck.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 728 ✭✭
    blue lizard sunblock 30 minutes before the round and right before i tee off. wide brim hats (titleist aussie style and similars) and any type of solar UV sleeve i find at the moment. have everything from cheap amazon ones to expensive nike ones and dont really find a big difference other than price.
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,389 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018 #15
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

larryw wrote:

Elixir

I buy a pair every season. I buy the white color, and they eventually get dirty. The fabric itself holds up quite well. On cooler days I'll wear a full Under Armor Heat Gear long sleeve base layer.

I wear a wide brim straw hat similar to the one worn by David Leadbetter.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,854 ✭✭
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

I've been using Nike Solar Sleeves for over a year now. They work very well IMO because I'm pretty pale as well and my arms never get burnt wearing them. To be fair I haven't used any other brands but I believe there are several others. The Nike sleeves I have are very good and I think they help me stay cool as well.

file_4_1_2.png
    ordered one last week. I had two growths removed from the back of my neck this winter.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    2putttom wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

file_4_1_2.png
    ordered one last week. I had two growths removed from the back of my neck this winter.

I take some crap wearing that hat but it's never stopped me. Most of the time the it's "are you going to or coming from the farm" or something to that effect. It's comfortable to wear and never notice it on any swings at all.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • jaredt22jaredt22 Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    18 posts in, and no one has even mentioned the Phil Mickelson special (The Mizzen+Main long-sleeve dress shirt)? C'mon WRX!! image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

https://www.mizzenandmain.com/pages/phil-mickelson
  • MakeItTrizzleMakeItTrizzle Members Posts: 17
    I have tattoos, so I always want to make sure they're well covered, and I have no complaints about the Nike solar sleeves I've been wearing for the past few years. I have pretty big biceps and they still don't slip down, which is a first for the ones I've tried.
    Ask me about my punch draw
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,854 ✭✭
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

2putttom wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

file_4_1_2.png

I take some crap wearing that hat but it's never stopped me. Most of the time the it's "are you going to or coming from the farm" or something to that effect. It's comfortable to wear and never notice it on any swings at all.
    lemme tell ya as a cancer survivor I take this **** seriously ! Any half witted numb skull who thinks protection from the one thing that can kill us is for weak sissies can stick a one fifty watt light bulb up their a** and smile.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    2putttom wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

2putttom wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

file_4_1_2.png

lemme tell ya as a cancer survivor I take this **** seriously ! Any half witted numb skull who thinks protection from the one thing that can kill us is for weak sissies can stick a one fifty watt light bulb up their a** and smile.

Agreed.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • jkumpirejkumpire Members Posts: 732 ✭✭
    Interesting find yesterday,

I had time to kill before a baseball game yesterday and I walked into a Dick's Sporting Goods shop for the last time (yes, I will not buy from there, except in this case). I only intended to see what solar sleeves they had and try a set on, then the store clerk helping me discovered they were selling out the Nike Blue solar sleeves. the price was already under $20 for them so I took it up to the register and I paid $5 for them.

I feel guilty for buying them, but it was a good deal. You might want to see if you local store is doing the same thing.
  • kmbeankmbean Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    edited May 17, 2018 #23
    Just had my cousIn lose a friend at 36 to Melanoma. Be careful and cover up friends.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Sh00terMcgavinSh00terMcgavin Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    Nike solar sleeves and Nike large brimmed hat are the ticket for me.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6 M5
    TEE EX10 Beta but searching
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x
  • CELTICCELTIC Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    Driver - TaylorMade M2
    3 Wood - Mizuno JPX
    Irons 4 - PW - Calloway Apex CF16
    48, 52, 56, 58 Vokey. 10,12,14,12
    Putter - Odyssey O-works 7s
    CELTIC wrote:

My hats are from https://www.sundayafternoons.com

My shirts are from https://www.sansolei...Styles_c_1.html

My pants are from http://www.patagonia...-sun-protection

Not cheap stuff but absolutely worth it.

Thanks for sharing!
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • dam276dam276 I shoulda yelled two Members Posts: 586 ✭✭
    I’ve got 3 of these and use them at the beach as well as the course:

https://www.imperialsports.com/product/gt01-sun-protech/

Have found them for sale at courses from time to time logo’d as well.
    Ping G400 LST 10* (D+ 60X)
    Callaway Epic SZ 3W (D+ 70X)
    Callaway Epic 5W (Kai'li 70X)
    TaylorMade Rescue 11 4H (NV 85X)
    Nike VR Pro Blades 4-PW (MODUS 120X)
    Titleist SM7 50* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 54* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 60* L (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0)
    Lajosi XP3
    Let me add a sunscreen recommendation as well. Blue Lizard is always excellent, but I have migrated to Australian Gold Botanical as my go to sunscreen. The regular SPF 50 version simply does not come off and seems to protect very well. The SPF 50 face formulation works fantastic as well, but unless some of you guys trend metro the matte tint might challenge your manhood. LOL!

Let me add a sunscreen recommendation as well. Blue Lizard is always excellent, but I have migrated to Australian Gold Botanical as my go to sunscreen. The regular SPF 50 version simply does not come off and seems to protect very well. The SPF 50 face formulation works fantastic as well, but unless some of you guys trend metro the matte tint might challenge your manhood. LOL!

Are these sunscreens full of the parobens or whatever those chemicals are that are bad? I use sunscreen every time I play but my understanding is that not all are created equal and that some might even be harmful.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

Are these sunscreens full of the parobens or whatever those chemicals are that are bad? I use sunscreen every time I play but my understanding is that not all are created equal and that some might even be harmful.

Active ingredients are Ti oxide and Zinc oxide. I am pretty sure no avobenzone, oxyacrilate, etc... (the bad stuff in the cheap sunscreens that turns your whites to yellow) are used.

ebrasmus21 wrote:

Active ingredients are Ti oxide and Zinc oxide. I am pretty sure no avobenzone, oxyacrilate, etc... (the bad stuff in the cheap sunscreens that turns your whites to yellow) are used.

You buy off amazon or where do you go?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black