Auburn, CA

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B - have you played either of those courses before? IMO they are great tracks. Dark Horse is known for having quick greens.

I'd recommend Auburn Valley. It's an old course, classic design and small quick greens. If you can get a round out at Winchester Country Club do it! Winchester is another gem.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Both the Ridge and Darkhorse are in real good shape right now. Winchester is definitely, imo, the best course in the area. You get the feeling that you're playing a Truckee course. Very nice track. Empire Ranch is a decent track. Gets lots of play and can be a little slow for a round. Not a bad choice. If you're willing to travel to Folsom, you might want to check out Catta Verdera in Lincoln. Great track. It's a private course, but they do allow public play on certain days after 10 or 11. I think it's one of the best courses in the Sacramento region. Only bad thing is it's a members only club house. You can get a drink when you're done at the outside grill. But it's a pretty good place to sit outside. Right next to the 9th green. Have fun!

Thanks a lot guys. I haven’t played any of these courses before. A buddy I’m going with has played Darkhorse. Said it’s good.

I’ll see if I can pull off Winchester CC. I gots peeps! (;

Thanks again!

Winchester might be semi private. I think it was at one time... If you have a way in it’s a must play.

Dark horse is really cool too. Everything is big there: big hills, big elevation changes, big bunkers, big greens. It’s a bruiser if your ball striking is off.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Winchester has been on golf now recently for times after 1130, and last time I called them they were pretty open to having people out. Haven't been able to get up there yet because havent been able to work out timing and dates with my regular group but have heard great things as others have said.

Nothing against Empire since I play most of my golf there but its nothing special, normal course weaving through tract neighborhood, although it is always in good shape. If you have connections and don't want to do Winchester as the third see if you can get on granite bay or serrano, same area as empire but much better tracks.

If you want to take a drive head out to yocha de he, just over an hour if no traffic, or up to truckee as the courses will be opening in the next week or so if they havent already.

Thanks. We tried Serrano as we know members but that didn't work out. Winchester is closed today but that's in the works. My brother played Granite Bay in college but I haven't found a hook up there yet.

Thanks again to all input!

Wherever you end up playing please report back with your thoughts on the courses.

I won the long drive for a charity scramble on 18 @ Winchester. It's been a love affair ever since :superman:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

We are headed out tomorrow. Lineup is Darkhorse tomorrow afternoon. The Ridge Monday AM followed by Winchester CC. Tuesday is our flex day. We may play a course again if we really like it we may play somewhere else.

Thanks to all of you who helped out. I’ll post my thoughts on each course after we’ve played it.

Not the OP but this thread inspired me to finally get out to Winchester for the first time. Wow. Easily one of the top 5 courses I've ever played. Wonderful shape although a couple greens still had some punch marks on them but most rolled extremely true. Definitely a couple greens that humbled me, putted off the front of 9 from 15 feet past the hole. All the staff was super awesome, just a great day all around.

I used to recommend yocha to all the visitors, but this beats that by far in my opinion.

Not the OP but this thread inspired me to finally get out to Winchester for the first time. Wow. Easily one of the top 5 courses I've ever played. Wonderful shape although a couple greens still had some punch marks on them but most rolled extremely true. Definitely a couple greens that humbled me, putted off the front of 9 from 15 feet past the hole. All the staff was super awesome, just a great day all around.

I used to recommend yocha to all the visitors, but this beats that by far in my opinion.

The clubhouse ain't bad either, is it?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Clubhouse was great in my opinion. Just had a quick lunch and beer before golf but the view was awesome. Was also Impressed when I checked in and was asked if I had ever been there before, when I said no the girl at the desk went and got the pro who introduced himself, thanked me for coming out, gave me a yardage book and a quick intro to where the range, tee boxes, etc were

The cart barn dude that cleaned my clubs after the round was super cool. He actually said he liked the clubhouse at serrano a lot better, I think I may like winchesters a bit more but I'm bigger on the forest view vs the sac valley. Overall I thought the clubhouses were pretty similar quality.

Clubhouse was great in my opinion. Just had a quick lunch and beer before golf but the view was awesome. Was also Impressed when I checked in and was asked if I had ever been there before, when I said no the girl at the desk went and got the pro who introduced himself, thanked me for coming out, gave me a yardage book and a quick intro to where the range, tee boxes, etc were

The cart barn dude that cleaned my clubs after the round was super cool. He actually said he liked the clubhouse at serrano a lot better, I think I may like winchesters a bit more but I'm bigger on the forest view vs the sac valley. Overall I thought the clubhouses were pretty similar quality.

I haven't played Serrano although have heard good things from many people.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

We ended up skipping Winchester CC and playing 36 at The Ridge.

The Ridge is a fantastic golf course. Greens were very good. I will be going back.

I really liked the layout at Darkhorse. A lot of variety. Unfortunately the greens were not very good. They had clearly been punched several weeks ago but still hadn’t healed. A bit of top dressing and they’d have rolled great but as it was the holes were just holes instead of holes full of sand. That was a bit of a bummer but still a great track.

Really liked and auburn area. We went to Auburn Ale House and sat at the bar where we ate and chatted a bit with a cute and sweet bartender. I think I’ll be going back.

The Ridge is a fantastic golf course. Greens were very good. I will be going back.

I really liked the layout at Darkhorse. A lot of variety. Unfortunately the greens were not very good. They had clearly been punched several weeks ago but still hadn't healed. A bit of top dressing and they'd have rolled great but as it was the holes were just holes instead of holes full of sand. That was a bit of a bummer but still a great track.

Really liked and auburn area. We went to Auburn Ale House and sat at the bar where we ate and chatted a bit with a cute and sweet bartender. I think I'll be going back.

The Ridge is always fun, good choice!

One day maybe you'll have the chance to play Darkhorse when the greens are better. That course is seriously tough when the greens are slick and that's exactly what they've been known for in the past.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I really liked the layout at Darkhorse. A lot of variety. Unfortunately the greens were not very good. They had clearly been punched several weeks ago but still hadn't healed. A bit of top dressing and they'd have rolled great but as it was the holes were just holes instead of holes full of sand. That was a bit of a bummer but still a great track.

Really liked and auburn area. We went to Auburn Ale House and sat at the bar where we ate and chatted a bit with a cute and sweet bartender. I think I'll be going back.

The Ridge is always fun, good choice!

One day maybe you'll have the chance to play Darkhorse when the greens are better. That course is seriously tough when the greens are slick and that's exactly what they've been known for in the past.

For sure! Both those courses are pretty demanding off the tee and require a fair bit of precision to get makeable putts.

Fun golf courses.

Really liked and auburn area. We went to Auburn Ale House and sat at the bar where we ate and chatted a bit with a cute and sweet bartender. I think I’ll be going back.

If you play the Ridge again, there are two really good breweries around the corner by the airport. Moonrakers and Knee Deep. Both worth checking out.

• 1 year later...