50 * Gap wedge bounce

DntdodoublesDntdodoubles Posts: 92
edited May 16, 2018 in WRX Club Techs #1
Im looking to replace my 714 ap2 gap wedge with a sm7 50* wedge. I have the choice between 8* and 12* of bounce F grind. This will be used for shots 115-125 yards. Will be used for full shots sometimes 3/4 shots. My other wedges are the ap2 PW, vokey 54* 10* bounce S grind, and 60* 8* bounce M grind. I play on semi hard surfaces and take a divot on the shallower side. I am a 12 handicap going down.

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,143 ✭✭
    8 is fine. Lower bounce for firmer surfaces and shallower swings is the general rule.

I use as much bounce as I can get. I’m a Digger and play soft conditions.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • 8 is fine. Lower bounce for firmer surfaces and shallower swings is the general rule.

I use as much bounce as I can get. I’m a Digger and play soft conditions.

Would it make sense to go for 50-8, 54-10, to 50-8? I use my 54 for 3/4- full shots and haven’t had a problem with fat shots with the 10degree bounce
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,527 ClubWRX
    I'd suggest the 50-08 knowing no more than I do.

Couple of things...
    • If you're not a steep wedge player (shallow divot) you don't need that added bounce.
    • F Grind already is meant primarily for full shots, and isn't prone to digging as is.
    • Semi hard surfaces are also going to prevent digging as well.
    • I've always felt grind trumps bounce when it comes to wedges. And as said before, the F grind is a Full grind meaning little has been modified/taken off and it will naturally play a lot like a weaker set PW.

Like Jag said above - shallow swing + hard surface = less bounce, steep swing + softer surface = more bounce (generally)

Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,302 ✭✭
    I am also actively looking for a 50 and 08 bounce seems to be the OK fit on paper.

I have 52 54 55 58 59 Vokeys so the 50 is the next One !!

Just bought MP37's so with MP60 or MP37 can go from 9 iron to

50 54 58 or 50 55 59. My 54/55 and 59 are wider sole and work in the Sand!
    2019 7th March

Ping G5 10.5
    TM 360 TI 10.5 ($5)
    Ping i 25 3 or 5

Mizuno MP 63 arriving as new......KBS 110 Regular

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!

Sold my MP37 and MP33 after xmas and searched for More Mizuno
    Keen to buy MP69 MP4 MP5 later in 2019 for a Shoot Out or buy them all..
    I Survived 7 weeks with only One Set of Irons !!
  • Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭
    With AP2s you want 08 bounce. If you were playing something like Pings with a lot of bounce, then you would go for the 12*. Unless you do a lot of chip and runs from various lies with your 50*, you should be fine with the 08 F grind.
    Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • Bomber_11 wrote:
    I'd suggest the 50-08 knowing no more than I do.

Couple of things...
    • If you're not a steep wedge player (shallow divot) you don't need that added bounce.
    • F Grind already is meant primarily for full shots, and isn't prone to digging as is.
    • Semi hard surfaces are also going to prevent digging as well.
    • I've always felt grind trumps bounce when it comes to wedges. And as said before, the F grind is a Full grind meaning little has been modified/taken off and it will naturally play a lot like a weaker set PW.

Like Jag said above - shallow swing + hard surface = less bounce, steep swing + softer surface = more bounce (generally)

Great info thank you!
  • BeeezBeeez Posts: 193 ✭✭
    I have AP2s and went with the 50-08 F
  • Ya im going to go with the 8* bounce
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    Agree on the 8* and i might have a raw SM6 if interested.
  • I actually just ordered a SM7 8* with store credit that I had.
  • Joe V.Joe V. Members Posts: 252 ✭✭
    I have SM6 50/08 F grind and am very happy with the performance.

I'm very shallow and take small divots as well.
  • Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    They are both F grinds, same club bascially. You wont be able to tell a difference if you only use a 50 for full swings like most people do.

I owned an SM6 50.08 and currently have a 50.12. They are pretty much the same. If i had to choose id go 50.12.
    Titleist TS3 8.5* ............................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Titleist TS2 15.75* .......................Tensei Pro White 80TX proto 42.5" D4
    Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi #2 17.5* Handcrafted HZRDUS 105 6.5 39.75" D2
    Titleist 712U 4 iron ....................C-taper S+ 125 D2
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-P .............PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D3.5 off 46* PW
    SM6 50.12F ...................................PX LZ 6.5 + 3/8"" D5
    Mizuno T7 55.09 .........................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.10 .........................Tour Issue Onyx S400 35.5" D6
    Odyssey Tour Only Jailbird Mini Versa BWB Plumbers Neck WHP insert
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers Posts: 612 ✭✭
    I've conducted numerous Titleist Thursdays, Wedge Fittings, and general demo days, and I almost never order full swing wedges with the minimal bounce. Almost always 50.12, 52.12, and for 54º (if this is primarily a full swing club) in the 14º bounce. The bounce on full swings AS DESCRIBED BY VOKEY HIMSELF will significantly contribute not only to turf interaction, but to transfer the energy of the club head to the golf ball by converting the descending blow into forward momentum. Forward momentum of the club head creates more consistent ball speed AND trajectory (vitally important for consistency and distance control). Off the top of my head the only players I've recommended the lower bounce options are players that can prove to me that they can consistently deliver the club through the ball on a significantly shallow AoA (aka pickers).

Hope this helps!
    TITLEIST - VOKEY - SCOTTY CAMERON
    TS3 9.5º - ATTAS 6Star 6x     TS3 16.5º @ 15.75º - COOOL 7x     818 H2 21º @ 20º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    AP3 4-6 & AP2 7-P - DGTI AMT X100     SM7 50.12F  54.14F  60.12D @ 58º - DGTI S400
    Circle T Newport 2 Mid - Kuchar Prototype Arm Lock - Milled 7º Loft - Super Stroke 17" Tour - 42"
  • 1b!ggolfnut1b!ggolfnut Members Posts: 151 ✭✭
    I agree 100%... Most bounce you can get on full shots. If you can have a club maker blunt the leading edge, it's even better. I play 50.12 and I am a sweeper.

sampga1976 wrote:

I've conducted numerous Titleist Thursdays, Wedge Fittings, and general demo days, and I almost never order full swing wedges with the minimal bounce. Almost always 50.12, 52.12, and for 54º (if this is primarily a full swing club) in the 14º bounce. The bounce on full swings AS DESCRIBED BY VOKEY HIMSELF will significantly contribute not only to turf interaction, but to transfer the energy of the club head to the golf ball by converting the descending blow into forward momentum. Forward momentum of the club head creates more consistent ball speed AND trajectory (vitally important for consistency and distance control). Off the top of my head the only players I've recommended the lower bounce options are players that can prove to me that they can consistently deliver the club through the ball on a significantly shallow AoA (aka pickers).

Hope this helps!
  • DntdodoublesDntdodoubles Posts: 92
    edited May 21, 2018 #16
    I agree 100%... Most bounce you can get on full shots. If you can have a club maker blunt the leading edge, it's even better. I play 50.12 and I am a sweeper.

sampga1976 wrote:

Hope this helps!

Now I am second guessing my purchase. I got a good deal on it so I will use it and see how it works for me.
  • jeffreyjenkinsjeffreyjenkins Posts: 355 ✭✭
    Im having the same dilemma in choosing which bounce to go with for a 50 degree... i would say i play very firm conditions on most occasions but i play 10 degrees of bounce with the 46, 54, and 60 so i dont see either option being a drastic difference
    TM M4 9.5 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 70X
    TM M6 15 Project X Even Flow Black 75 6.5X
    TM M4 Hybrid 19 KBS Tour Prototype Graphite 95X
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-9 TT S-400
    Titleist SM7 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08, 54.10, 60.10 TT S-400
    TM TP Collection Ardmore 2

Im having the same dilemma in choosing which bounce to go with for a 50 degree... i would say i play very firm conditions on most occasions but i play 10 degrees of bounce with the 46, 54, and 60 so i dont see either option being a drastic difference

Assuming you will use your 50º for mostly full swing shots, you'll want the 12º bounce. Since this club is primarily an extension of your irons and PW, the increase in bounce angle progression makes sense to continue in this manner. The 46.10 that you play is the most available bounce ever offered in the 46º Vokey (used to be 46.08)... don't go 50.08!!! Your 54 and 60 I'm assuming are S-grinds... fit the 50.12 into this set and it's $$$. Cheers!
    TS3 9.5º - ATTAS 6Star 6x     TS3 16.5º @ 15.75º - COOOL 7x     818 H2 21º @ 20º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    AP3 4-6 & AP2 7-P - DGTI AMT X100     SM7 50.12F  54.14F  60.12D @ 58º - DGTI S400
    Circle T Newport 2 Mid - Kuchar Prototype Arm Lock - Milled 7º Loft - Super Stroke 17" Tour - 42"
  • I hit the 8* off of a soft sandy driving range and hit it well. Would there be a significant difference in the 12*?

I hit the 8* off of a soft sandy driving range and hit it well. Would there be a significant difference in the 12*?

The additional bounce will be more forgiving on shots hit slightly fat and will help tremendously out of the rough and softer conditions. It will be perfectly fine on tight firm lies too! Go with the 12º... trust me!!! It will be your "jack of all trades" bounce for the gap.
  • Alright trading for a 12*
  • Club GuruClub Guru Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I see almost no situation where going less than 12 degrees of bounce is beneficial. As Stan Utley says “I have no problem hitting a flop shot off the parking lot with 12 degrees of bounce on my 58”. More bounce will be more forgiving, period (as long as you know how to use bounce). Also, having a gap wedge with 12 degrees of bounce is wonderful for those very difficult long bunker shots.
  • Cinnamon KidCinnamon Kid Members Posts: 31
    edited Jun 6, 2018 #23
    I don't know if this will help any, but I'll offer input anyways. I play a Cleveland 52 bent to a 50 w/ 10 bounce. I have no clue if or how the 2 degree bend affects my bounce. As far as I know, my Cleveland 2 dot is basically the F grind. I do know I feel I am a great wedge player, though I rarely use wedges for full shots. My handicap is slightly lower than yours, trending, if not at single digit. For whatever that is worth, not much imo.

I play on similar surfaces, Bermuda, no dollar bill sized divots where I'm from. I never have trouble playing any shot I can imagine. Though I do wonder if different grinds or bounces would help, I don't worry much because I also don't want to tamper with one of my strong suits. I'm not convinced it matters so much to people of our skill level and I would maybe just encourage you to be confident in whatever decision you make, and then go play golf from there and quit thinking about it for now. Let us know if you see a real statistical improvement after you have some time. From an interested standpoint.
  • Ok so im now going with a 50.12* gap wedge F grind. When I get a new 54* wedge should I stick with 54.10S grind or try out a 54.14F grind? I use my 54 for 30-110yards out
  • PoolpartyPoolparty Members Posts: 170
    I just went to a 50.12 and I'm going with the S grind. F just seems to have too much beef for me.
    Stiff
  • Club GuruClub Guru Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I don't know if this will help any, but I'll offer input anyways. I play a Cleveland 52 bent to a 50 w/ 10 bounce. I have no clue if or how the 2 degree bend affects my bounce. As far as I know, my Cleveland 2 dot is basically the F grind. I do know I feel I am a great wedge player, though I rarely use wedges for full shots. My handicap is slightly lower than yours, trending, if not at single digit. For whatever that is worth, not much imo.

I play on similar surfaces, Bermuda, no dollar bill sized divots where I'm from. I never have trouble playing any shot I can imagine. Though I do wonder if different grinds or bounces would help, I don't worry much because I also don't want to tamper with one of my strong suits. I'm not convinced it matters so much to people of our skill level and I would maybe just encourage you to be confident in whatever decision you make, and then go play golf from there and quit thinking about it for now. Let us know if you see a real statistical improvement after you have some time. From an interested standpoint.

Bending your gap wedge strong lowers the bounce. Just think about what bounce is. It’s the amount of area/angle on the sole of the wedge that interacts with the ground. The more you make a move with the leading edge of your club the more bounce you are removing from the club. Making contact with a leading edge move on a wedge takes away all your room for error which will result in either perfect, thin, or chunked shot (almost nothing inbetween). Learn to use your bounce correctly and it will 100% change your wedge game. Start by going to your short game area, find some fluffy burmuda lies, and bottom your swing/pitch out before you hit the ball and when you bottom that pitch out have the back of the sole hit first. Your area for a successful shot will increase immensely. Even if you chunk it a little your miss will be immensely better than a miss with the leading edge.