2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Keys to a consistent swing

Lennac

One of the many things people probably struggle with is consistency in their golf game.

I'm no different and have days where I hit every fairway, others where I can't seem to find my drive, and others where it suddenly takes a turn (for better or worse) after the 9th hole - or anywhere in between for that matter.

Obviously achieving perfect consistency is something we all strive for, and is one of things that makes golf so challenging and rewarding. Working towards consistency is talked about frequently, obviously playing more helps. But when I'm at the range for example, what exactly should I be looking at and focusing on?

More specifically, I would assume how I address the ball is important. Trying to make sure I lineup the same way every time is vital to achieving a consistent shot. My question would be, what other aspects of my swing should I be looking at to consciously focus on becoming consistent with. This may seem like a silly question I suppose, but I just want to be more productive at the range (and on the course) when I'm trying to find some consistency. I don't expect to hit the perfect shot every time, but I would like to stop my shot from disappearing from my control for an entire round for example.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consistency is just doing the same thing all the time. If you’re bad, you don’t want to be consistent. To be consistently good, you have to identify what is good, specifically, and then, go about repeating it all the time. In addition to not identifying what works well specifically enough to have repeatedly good results, being physically unsuitable to executing the required actions is going to make consistency harder to achieve.

Practice like you play.

It’s easy to be consistent hitting 50 7-irons in a row at the same target. But that never happens on the course.

So when you’re on the range, mix it up and pretend to play real holes. Hit driver once, then mid iron, then chip shot, then 3W, then wedge, etc. Use your full pre-shot routine and visualization for each shot. Hit low-high-fade-draw shots to mix it up more.

Drilling with a single club repeatedly is great when working on swing changes or feels, but can really give you a false sense of confidence when you have to hit ONE shot well under pressure.

Consistency....ugh.

Last Saturday at the range absolutely striping the ball with every club up and down the bag.

This Saturday at the range absolutely stinking it up with thins and blocks.

When you find the secret to consistency, please let me know!

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

One key to consistency is proper mechanics. If you're doing the right things in the right order, you'll be more consistent. If you have a bunch of different compensations for things that you don't do properly, its really hard to be consistent. To make your range time more effective, get instruction from a good teacher, and follow the instruction he gives you.

1. Identify what you need to work on and only work on one goal at a time.

2. Work on the first swing issue you’ve identified or prioritized until it becomes ingrained into muscle memory.

3. A great way to accelerate ingraining into muscle memory is to find a drill or swing tool that helps and overuse it.

4. Repeat

5. If you can’t hit a whippy tempo master consistently (at a minimum) you know there is a lot more to work on.

I struggle with consistency, off the tee mostly. One day last week I hit 5 of 13 fairways and later the same week, same course I hit 11 of 13. @#&%^ golf...

Aside from all my swing faults, the key to consistency for me seems to be avoiding trying to kill the ball. A smooth 90%+ will go straighter and average longer distance for me than my 110% swing. When I try to kill it I will hit my driver 10-20 yards further some, but probably 4 out of 5 will be (much) shorter than my 90%+ swing average distance bringing my 110% swing average distance down. And where I normally miss right, when I swing 110% I can miss left or right, literally making hitting fairways twice as hard...

I have had to relearn the above lesson WAY too many times. Too soon old, too late smart.

Own your pattern. Separate improvement practice and owning your pattern. When warming up to play get an idea of what you have that day and play with it. Do not reAct to poor shots by trying to fix your swing. That is for the range.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Make that pretty practice swing your game swing. I always see nice tempo and balance with no ball in front of some people, and everything changes once that little white ball is in the way of the face of your club. Driver, putter, irons.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

There are a few variables for consistency in golf. Consistent golfers mostly have simple and correct mechanics and appropriate rhythm and tempo. And they repeat the same motion over and over. Amateur swings as a rule lack the correct rhythm and tempo (too fast), especially because we have the urge to crush the ball with all the subsequent implications.

One of the many things people probably struggle with is consistency in their golf game.

I'm no different and have days where I hit every fairway, others where I can't seem to find my drive, and others where it suddenly takes a turn (for better or worse) after the 9th hole - or anywhere in between for that matter.

Obviously achieving perfect consistency is something we all strive for, and is one of things that makes golf so challenging and rewarding. Working towards consistency is talked about frequently, obviously playing more helps. But when I'm at the range for example, what exactly should I be looking at and focusing on?

More specifically, I would assume how I address the ball is important. Trying to make sure I lineup the same way every time is vital to achieving a consistent shot. My question would be, what other aspects of my swing should I be looking at to consciously focus on becoming consistent with. This may seem like a silly question I suppose, but I just want to be more productive at the range (and on the course) when I'm trying to find some consistency. I don't expect to hit the perfect shot every time, but I would like to stop my shot from disappearing from my control for an entire round for example.

Listen, I'm going to be honest with you. Golf is NEVER consistent. This is a myth. You will play well one day, terrible the next. That's golf.

People f*** up their games trying to become consistent. Consistency happens when you play the same way and stop changing, but the fact is that between your best and worst rounds is usually around 10-15 shots, and between your average rounds is normally around 5-6 shots.

Don't try for consistency. It's a myth.

A consistent swing is also a myth. Everyone mishits shots, including every professional at every level every single day on more than half their shots. No one hits the ball perfectly every time, or even half the time correctly. I find that I only hit one shot during each round that comes out somewhere near as I intended, the rest are in between. The pros might hit two shots that come off really well. Ben Hogan also said that he would only hit two shots exactly where he aimed them most of the time, and he was one of the better strikers of his time.

Don't go for consistency, just play the game, and whatever happens, happens. You really have almost no control over what you shoot, and even though you may strike it well, have a good short game, and good putting, you still may shoot a poor score. Learn to deal with reality, which is no matter what you do, you're never going to be absolutely consistent. You may play well one day, the next terrible. You may hit a drive down the middle, but miss the green way left on the approach. It's just not real to expect to be consistent on any level of the game, no matter how good you are.