Summer 2018 - Your tournament golf ball this summer

2

Comments

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,933 ClubWRX
    Used to play pro V's, but switched to Chrome Soft for the last several months. Not sure it is the best ball for my son, but it has worked pretty well thus far.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    edited Jun 18, 2018 #33
    So got my kid out for 9-holes on Father's Day I had him hit his regular ball the Wilson Duo , Wilson Duo Spin and Callaway Chrome Soft off the tee every hole and for approach shots. Off the tee, the distance was the same for each ball over the course of the round. For pitch shots (typically P or SW) from 30-45 yards, the Chrome Soft had the best holding-the-green/spin. All of this seat-of-the-pants feeling and highly unscientific. Given the Urethane on the Chrome Soft, I guess you would expect that it could potentially have the most spin.
  • hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 555 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:


    So got my kid out for 9-holes on Father's Day I had him hit his regular ball the Wilson Duo , Wilson Duo Spin and Callaway Chrome Soft off the tee every hole and for approach shots. Off the tee, the distance was the same for each ball over the course of the round. For pitch shots (typically P or SW) from 30-45 yards, the Chrome Soft had the best holding-the-green/spin. All of this seat-of-the-pants feeling and highly unscientific. Given the Urethane on the Chrome Soft, I guess you would expect that it could potentially have the most spin.




    Did you try the Duo U? we’ve been going back-and-forth between the Duo U and the chrome soft for a couple weeks now . He loves the cool look of the CS Truvis (soccer ball pattern) , esp the Stars and Stripes one, but he plays better with the Duo U- higher launch off irons , softer around the green (he has always played Duo- first the Duo, then Duo Spin, I think that soft cushy feel is familiar), and same if not more spin than CS, especially a fresh one right from the box.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭

    wildcatden wrote:


    So got my kid out for 9-holes on Father's Day I had him hit his regular ball the Wilson Duo , Wilson Duo Spin and Callaway Chrome Soft off the tee every hole and for approach shots. Off the tee, the distance was the same for each ball over the course of the round. For pitch shots (typically P or SW) from 30-45 yards, the Chrome Soft had the best holding-the-green/spin. All of this seat-of-the-pants feeling and highly unscientific. Given the Urethane on the Chrome Soft, I guess you would expect that it could potentially have the most spin.




    Did you try the Duo U? we've been going back-and-forth between the Duo U and the chrome soft for a couple weeks now . He loves the cool look of the CS Truvis (soccer ball pattern) , esp the Stars and Stripes one, but he plays better with the Duo U- higher launch off irons , softer around the green (he has always played Duo- first the Duo, then Duo Spin, I think that soft cushy feel is familiar), and same if not more spin than CS, especially a fresh one right from the box.




    No, didn't have a Duo U handy. I got the Duo Spin and the Chrome Soft balls at a vendor sponsored scramble tournament last week. I am definitely interested in trying out the Duo U still. I'm getting the feeling it will be similar enough to the Chrome Soft.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    I'll add this to the mix. My daughter pushing 8 has no business playing some of these balls but they were given to her. Hit a prov1, duo 29, AVX. All three were the same distance with in yards of each other. AVX might have been the longest. Around the green you could tell the AVX/Prov1 had the best check and spin. Same on par 3 shots. Interesting to see, granted I know for a fact she can't compress these balls but interesting to see the distance drop off isn't what I thought it would be.



    More testing to come with Duo -u and project a, even the titleist tour soft but she loves any ball with the word titleist on it go figure. I blame her coach for giving her some sample balls.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    So after a couple of months of junior playing the Callaway Chrome Soft, I'd like to say this is a great spinning and green holding golf ball. No distance drop-off compared to the lower compression Wilson Duo that we previously played. The only real sh*t thing about the Chrome Soft balls are they scratch and scuff up far too easily. Pretty annoying considering they are $44.95/dozen + tax. It's the trade-off for urethane I suppose.



    Still haven't tried the DUO Urethane but that is likely next or the Bridgestone Soft or Project (a) or AVX.
  • hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 555 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:


    So after a couple of months of junior playing the Callaway Chrome Soft, I'd like to say this is a great spinning and green holding golf ball. No distance drop-off compared to the lower compression Wilson Duo that we previously played. The only real sh*t thing about the Chrome Soft balls are they scratch and scuff up far too easily. Pretty annoying considering they are $44.95/dozen + tax. It's the trade-off for urethane I suppose.



    Still haven't tried the DUO Urethane but that is likely next or the Bridgestone Soft or Project (a) or AVX.




    Agree, my son has gone to Chrome Soft also (from Duo Spin). Distance is fine, but spin to hold greens is really superior. Really a great ball for juniors. $45 is tough, but the young kids dont lose many(if any balls) typically, so the dozen lasts a while. My son still had all 12 from the beginning of the summer until last weekend he was **** around trying flop shots or something on the tee box while we waited for group in front of us and bladed TWO into the marsh. Just a golf ball, but it ate me up!
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    I think compression does matter to a point but not as much as I used to. One thing I think people overlook because they see the spin ohhh look at how xyzzy spins. I think one bigger factor is trajectory, especially in full or less shots. One of the main reasons we stuck with the Wilson duo she hits it higher than other balls and chips n pitches she can make it stop by controlling trajectory. To me where it makes a difference is the type of greens you are playing. If you are playing fast firm greens you better have a urethane cover to make it stop, if you're not then in the younger age groups no advantage to playing it. Few times she played it the e6 and tour soft spin really well for non urethane covers. What makes a difference is yardage. What is your typical approach?



    In our testing off the tee all balls were about the same distance, never saw any ball have an advantage over another. Some will run out more so there is an advantage there. As her coaches tell me. Find a ball form the green backwards. Have to love it off the putter face. Most juniors do it from the tee backwards.



    For now we play the orange Wilson duo.
  • kcapkcap Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    We still play with Wilson Duo Urthene's.. tried the Taylor Made A, Titelist AVX and Chrome soft; all seem to play the same for him. He has got superstitious about his golf ball. During a round, everything was being hit thin or fat..blamed the chrome soft, pulled out the Duo and "voila" everything is perfect..
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    darter79 wrote:


    I think compression does matter to a point but not as much as I used to. One thing I think people overlook because they see the spin ohhh look at how xyzzy spins. I think one bigger factor is trajectory, especially in full or less shots. One of the main reasons we stuck with the Wilson duo she hits it higher than other balls and chips n pitches she can make it stop by controlling trajectory. To me where it makes a difference is the type of greens you are playing. If you are playing fast firm greens you better have a urethane cover to make it stop, if you're not then in the younger age groups no advantage to playing it. Few times she played it the e6 and tour soft spin really well for non urethane covers. What makes a difference is yardage. What is your typical approach?



    In our testing off the tee all balls were about the same distance, never saw any ball have an advantage over another. Some will run out more so there is an advantage there. As her coaches tell me. Find a ball form the green backwards. Have to love it off the putter face. Most juniors do it from the tee backwards.



    For now we play the orange Wilson duo.




    Had never heard the "find a ball from the green backwards" advice. Learn something new every day about golf.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    kcap wrote:


    We still play with Wilson Duo Urthene's.. tried the Taylor Made A, Titelist AVX and Chrome soft; all seem to play the same for him. He has got superstitious about his golf ball. During a round, everything was being hit thin or fat..blamed the chrome soft, pulled out the Duo and "voila" everything is perfect..




    The Srixon Q-Star fell victim to that line of thinking for us. He blamed his bad shots on the higher (70-ish) compression of the Q-Star over the Chrome Soft (50-ish).
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    edited Aug 24, 2018 #43
    wildcatden wrote:

    kcap wrote:


    We still play with Wilson Duo Urthene's.. tried the Taylor Made A, Titelist AVX and Chrome soft; all seem to play the same for him. He has got superstitious about his golf ball. During a round, everything was being hit thin or fat..blamed the chrome soft, pulled out the Duo and "voila" everything is perfect..




    The Srixon Q-Star fell victim to that line of thinking for us. He blamed his bad shots on the higher (70-ish) compression of the Q-Star over the Chrome Soft (50-ish).




    Chromesoft isn't a 50 compression ball. its upper 70s. It just feels softer than most
  • hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 555 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:


    wildcatden wrote:


    So after a couple of months of junior playing the Callaway Chrome Soft, I'd like to say this is a great spinning and green holding golf ball. No distance drop-off compared to the lower compression Wilson Duo that we previously played. The only real sh*t thing about the Chrome Soft balls are they scratch and scuff up far too easily. Pretty annoying considering they are $44.95/dozen + tax. It's the trade-off for urethane I suppose.



    Still haven't tried the DUO Urethane but that is likely next or the Bridgestone Soft or Project (a) or AVX.




    Agree, my son has gone to Chrome Soft also (from Duo Spin). Distance is fine, but spin to hold greens is really superior. Really a great ball for juniors. $45 is tough, but the young kids dont lose many(if any balls) typically, so the dozen lasts a while. My son still had all 12 from the beginning of the summer until last weekend he was **** around trying flop shots or something on the tee box while we waited for group in front of us and bladed TWO into the marsh. Just a golf ball, but it ate me up!




    We have a couple dozen of the Chrome Soft balls around the house. He gets a dozen of them every time he plays in a multi day FCG event. It's a good ball but I don't think it's any better or worse than any other 'tour' level ball. The ones he or I don't use end up in the ball tube thing we take out on the course for practice days. The only ball he prefers is the Bridgestone XS because of how it checks on short chips and the way it feels off the face of his putter.




    Yeah, but its BETTER because it looks like a Soccer Ball! An 8 year old evaluates equipment performance on a different set of criteria than you and I! Look good, feel good, play good!
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭

    leezer99 wrote:


    wildcatden wrote:


    So after a couple of months of junior playing the Callaway Chrome Soft, I'd like to say this is a great spinning and green holding golf ball. No distance drop-off compared to the lower compression Wilson Duo that we previously played. The only real sh*t thing about the Chrome Soft balls are they scratch and scuff up far too easily. Pretty annoying considering they are $44.95/dozen + tax. It's the trade-off for urethane I suppose.



    Still haven't tried the DUO Urethane but that is likely next or the Bridgestone Soft or Project (a) or AVX.




    Agree, my son has gone to Chrome Soft also (from Duo Spin). Distance is fine, but spin to hold greens is really superior. Really a great ball for juniors. $45 is tough, but the young kids dont lose many(if any balls) typically, so the dozen lasts a while. My son still had all 12 from the beginning of the summer until last weekend he was **** around trying flop shots or something on the tee box while we waited for group in front of us and bladed TWO into the marsh. Just a golf ball, but it ate me up!




    We have a couple dozen of the Chrome Soft balls around the house. He gets a dozen of them every time he plays in a multi day FCG event. It's a good ball but I don't think it's any better or worse than any other 'tour' level ball. The ones he or I don't use end up in the ball tube thing we take out on the course for practice days. The only ball he prefers is the Bridgestone XS because of how it checks on short chips and the way it feels off the face of his putter.




    Yeah, but its BETTER because it looks like a Soccer Ball! An 8 year old evaluates equipment performance on a different set of criteria than you and I! Look good, feel good, play good!




    How true this statement is!
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,130 ✭✭

    leezer99 wrote:


    wildcatden wrote:


    So after a couple of months of junior playing the Callaway Chrome Soft, I'd like to say this is a great spinning and green holding golf ball. No distance drop-off compared to the lower compression Wilson Duo that we previously played. The only real sh*t thing about the Chrome Soft balls are they scratch and scuff up far too easily. Pretty annoying considering they are $44.95/dozen + tax. It's the trade-off for urethane I suppose.



    Still haven't tried the DUO Urethane but that is likely next or the Bridgestone Soft or Project (a) or AVX.




    Agree, my son has gone to Chrome Soft also (from Duo Spin). Distance is fine, but spin to hold greens is really superior. Really a great ball for juniors. $45 is tough, but the young kids dont lose many(if any balls) typically, so the dozen lasts a while. My son still had all 12 from the beginning of the summer until last weekend he was **** around trying flop shots or something on the tee box while we waited for group in front of us and bladed TWO into the marsh. Just a golf ball, but it ate me up!




    We have a couple dozen of the Chrome Soft balls around the house. He gets a dozen of them every time he plays in a multi day FCG event. It's a good ball but I don't think it's any better or worse than any other 'tour' level ball. The ones he or I don't use end up in the ball tube thing we take out on the course for practice days. The only ball he prefers is the Bridgestone XS because of how it checks on short chips and the way it feels off the face of his putter.




    Yeah, but its BETTER because it looks like a Soccer Ball! An 8 year old evaluates equipment performance on a different set of criteria than you and I! Look good, feel good, play good!




    Mine wouldn't use it because they look like a soccer ball.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    Has anyone played the Top Flite Tour Gamer? 3-piece ball with urethane cover. Only 19.99/dozen.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    CTgolf wrote:


    CTgolf wrote:


    CTgolf wrote:


    Pro-V1/V1x



    Other balls might be longer since his swing speed can't take advantage of compression, etc., but you can't really argue too much when your kid says "it gives me better feel around the greens"




    A 7/8 year old doesn't even know what feel around greens is. I don't care how old they are or how good they are, a 7/8 year old in no way shape or form should be using a ProV1. Most amateur adults shouldn't be using a Prov1. Titleist has done a great job of marketing.




    You're probably right



    Not a big difference in $ in the grand scheme of things (kids who hit it straight don't lose many balls); the happiness/$ ratio seems like a good value imho




    Yeah, but if you were to switch to something like the Project A or Duo Urethane he would get the best of both world. Longer ball, soft around the green with very good feel.




    It’s very possible, but I’m not sure you can reason with a young kid about those types of things without sapping some of the joy out of playing the same ball as your heroes on TV



    The reality is we are not trying to optimize every single aspect of game improvement at this stage; we still have a US Kids Tour Series (not even TS3) driver in the bag despite the fact that getting an OEM head with the right shaft could add 10-20 yards easily. You can only make the switch once, so I am not sure whether adding the distance now vs later really matters as long as you’re still able to be competitive and win.



    Kind of like Greg Rose talks about developing the overall athlete instead of early specialization and focusing on minor skills that might bring quicker success/results (long vs short-term focus): I see it as a marathon, not a sprint, and in the case of the ball, maxing out the happiness and excitement of emulating idols to develop a love for the game might be a better long term investment overall




    If you’re cost conscious, probably best to play a tour-level ball now. No way a 10-year old or younger has the swing speed to scuff it up and not long enough to really lose these balls. I do think there’s added benefit in being able to compress the ball, but, in my experience, it’s minimal at best.
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    Wilson Duo Urethanes are 2 for $60 at PGA Superstore.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    BertGA wrote:


    Wilson Duo Urethanes are 2 for $60 at PGA Superstore.




    I just found them at my local academy for $12.50.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    When did you decide that your child needed a urethane ball cover and why?
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2018 #52
    darter79 wrote:


    When did you decide that your child needed a urethane ball cover and why?




    When my son's ball kept running off the green, while his peers did not. I'm already spending $50 per tournament, so what's extra $1~$2? image/blush2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blush2:' />



    Not all urethane balls are equal. AVX kept running and running.
  • nuthin but a hackernuthin but a hacker Certified Hacker Members Posts: 2,561 ✭✭
    My 14 year old daughter plays the Callaway Supersoft. I wish she’d try others just to see how they perform but so far she won’t.
    Ping G400 10.5* driver
    Ping G400 3 wood
    Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
    Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
    Ping Sydney 34" putter
    Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
    Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball
  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    We used chromesoft all summer my son loves them. They check up great on the greens and he has good distance.

    I wish he would use Pro v1 there laying all over the woods where we play. I have found exactly 2 Chrome soft all year long haha😁
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    darter79 wrote:


    When did you decide that your child needed a urethane ball cover and why?




    This past summer we switched to the urethane cover ball to get more spin to hold greens. Wilson Duo were just rolling off for us.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:


    Has anyone played the Top Flite Tour Gamer? 3-piece ball with urethane cover. Only 19.99/dozen.




    So I looked around at some reviews of the Top Flit Gamer Urethane....pretty much everyone says nice urethane ball but that it scuffs up and/or gets damaged too easily. Possibly, it may get scuffed and damaged more quickly than a Callaway Chromesoft. I guess I'm not shocked at $19.99/doz.
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,645 ClubWRX
    Academy Sports has 2016 ChromeSofts for $14.99 per dozen.



    Don't call them b/c I called several stores and was the CS were $45 per dozen. Also, this is not on their website.



    If it says "New and Improved" on the box, it's a 2018 CS. If not it's a 2016 CS, and will be $14.99 per dozen. Make sure and do a barcode check right there in the store.



    We have (8) dozen from (2) different stores. All at $14.99 per dozen.
  • ChipwichChipwich Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    My son is playing the Project (a) ball from Taylor made. He like the fact it has two numbers on it. (33 vs 3). For tournaments, he changes the 33 into LEE, his name. Whatever makes him happy, I guess!
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭


    New q star Tour is supposed to have even lower compression:



    http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub




    its a 72 per their website.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:




    Didn’t realize Bridgestone balls were that soft. The rxs is only 64. Intriguing
Sign In or Register to comment.