Titleist Velocity - any love?

Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,173 ✭✭
edited May 18, 2018 in Golf Balls #1
Any love out there for the Titleist Velocity? It seems most here are programmed to go with the urethane balls. But, I've played the Velocity when I pick one up in the woods and recently I was given a sleeve as a gift. The ball travels like a rocket and has a good feel for it considering it's on the firmer side. I know the ball will suck around the green. But, if you want long and straight - it's not a bad option. Is the new version better than the prior gen? Thx, Tanner

Comments

• om18vom18v Posts: 207 ✭✭
    Like a rocket, that's how I described them. As far as green spin, I have more luck with the TF D2 Feel.
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Great for a scramble - used it earlier this week and it is long and straight
  • BogeyParBogeyBogeyParBogey Trying to get better... Posts: 134 ✭✭
    You're right, action around the green is not good. I'd prefer Supersoft / Gamer Soft / E6 for the money.
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle Members Posts: 2,668 ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2018 #5
    Good for scrambles. I choose my ball based on greenside performance otherwise, and urethane is a must.
    PING i20 10.5°
    Adams a7 19°
    PING G25 23°
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
    Toulon Austin

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,762 ✭✭
    I have a friend who hits the ball really hard, really high and spins everything a ton. He loves the Velocity and with his height and spin there’s no problem stopping approach shots on the green.

It tends to run wild and be hard to control around the greens but this guy’s short game is awful no matter what ball he uses so he just shrugs it off.

For me it’s just impossible to control in any part of the game. No thanks.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,012 ✭✭
    Absolutely the lowest spinning ball made with the wedges. If you play a course with shaggy greens it may work fine. But I prefer something with a softer feel like the callaway super soft. Generally though I go urethane.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • KBongKBong Members Posts: 1,194 ✭✭
    Velocity....good for our rainy/mucky/cold winters.
  • Awesomeguy887Awesomeguy887 Members Posts: 623 ✭✭
    The orange double digit numbers look pretty cool.
    Ping G30 SFT 12
    Ping G5 3W
    Ping G Crossover 4
    Ping G15 4 - U
    Vokey SM6 56.14, 60.04
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7
  • WKentWKent Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    om18v wrote:

Like a rocket, that's how I described them. As far as green spin, I have more luck with the TF D2 Feel.

TF D2 Feel is a very good and overlooked golf ball. Long off tee, great feel off the club and adequate spin around greens.
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    The Velocity totally goes against Titleist’s philosophy of choosing a balls performance based first on the green then working back to the tee.
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle Members Posts: 2,668 ✭✭
    cristphoto wrote:

The Velocity totally goes against Titleist’s philosophy of choosing a balls performance based first on the green then working back to the tee.

Titleist ball fitting considers all shots, but puts the greatest emphasis on shots into and around the green. Seems the Velocity would fit those that are quite short off the tee and by gaining length off the tee will have shorter approach shots, thus impacting their scores more than solely focusing on greenside performance.
    PING i20 10.5°
    Adams a7 19°
    PING G25 23°
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
    Toulon Austin

• Been using this as my practice ball through winter, and even now in summer i still use one now and again. The new 2018 model is a lot better, when they first came out i thought they were worse, but you have to get used to them, they seem to spin just fine for me, you hit anything higher than a 7 and they land and stop not that bad, long irons you just play for the run out, no different to the many others.

Overall i find them a great ball, what i can't understand is why Titleist have so many balls now covering the same area, as the velocity, being softer this year is similar to the tour soft and the trusoft, so 3 balls all battling it out in the same tight space, best ball overall for me though is the trusoft, as price is lower and they pretty much go the same distance and have slightly better green spin, they are a truly underrated ball.
  • JackrwestyJackrwesty Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    They don't spin on the greens for me, but I love them for every other shot! You'll get some extra yardage too
    Taylormade M2 12° Driver

Callaway Rouge 14.5° 3 Wood

Taylormade R15 5 Wood

Bridgestone J15s, 5-OR

Titleist SM6; 50°, 54°, 60°

Odyssey 2 Ball

MG C4 (OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!)
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭
    I like the ball. I can spin it really well on full shots to the green. I can spin few balls on short shots. So, for me the Velocity has always done well. ****, I'm starting to go back to the non-urethane balls some as I can get them to perform really well. Probably just my quirky swing. I also like the orange numbers available on these. Almost nobody plays these balls, it seems.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 952 ✭✭
    argee1977 wrote:

Been using this as my practice ball through winter, and even now in summer i still use one now and again. The new 2018 model is a lot better, when they first came out i thought they were worse, but you have to get used to them, they seem to spin just fine for me, you hit anything higher than a 7 and they land and stop not that bad, long irons you just play for the run out, no different to the many others.

Overall i find them a great ball, what i can't understand is why Titleist have so many balls now covering the same area, as the velocity, being softer this year is similar to the tour soft and the trusoft, so 3 balls all battling it out in the same tight space, best ball overall for me though is the trusoft, as price is lower and they pretty much go the same distance and have slightly better green spin, they are a truly underrated ball.

I think titleist markets to different price points, under their flagship pro-v1.

So the avx is the same price alternative, soft is next tier down and is x price point plus a buzz word, then velocity is next and is pointed as the distance ball that doesn't really go any further than any other 2piece, then trusoft for their $2 per budget ball.

It's like when Merc came out w the CLA years ago for $29k... u can drive a merc, but it's basically a rebadged Malibu.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,705 ✭✭
    Prefer the TruSofts on feel and performance for me. Price a lot cheaper too! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,762 ✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 #18
    Golf64 wrote:

Prefer the TruSofts on feel and performance for me. Price a lot cheaper too! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

It's a lucky man whose favorite ball costs two bucks instead of four!

But let me guess, your favorite clubs are PXG's? With golf, if it ain't one thing it's another.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Great for a scramble

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,173 ✭✭
    Played the Velocity three times this week. It feels fine in warmer weather and it's a great distance ball. But, the lack of greenside side spin is a killer.
  • LumpyPocketsLumpyPockets Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I’ve been playing this ball the last couple rounds and it’s super long off driver due to the roll out. I don’t play low spinners around the greens and actually like knowing it won’t check up unexpectedly. I’ve been shocked by it actually. And it is longer for me than other two piece balls. The rollout is ridiculous off tee shots. Putts great too.
    In the Sun Mountain Three.Five aka The Bag of Shame:

XR 16 10.5*
    HiBore XLS 2 Wood
    Epic 5w
    XR 4 & 5 Hybrids
    Cleveland Launcher HB 6-D
    CBX 56
    O Works #7
  • Larry the LeftyLarry the Lefty Members Posts: 11
    I keep a few of these in the bag for the monster Par 5's with wide fairways but still thinking the NXT & NXT-S are the way to go as the Pro-V's are just to much $
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]TM 2017 M2 D-Type 10.5" Matrix White Tie MFS X5 55S - MCC+4 Align
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]TM 2017 M2 3HL 16.5" Reax 55G- MCC+4 Align
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]TM 2017 M2 3 19" Rescue / Reax 65R - MCC+4 Align
    TM RBZ Stage 2, Rescue 4 21.5" Lofted to 23" - CP2 Pro-Mid-Size
    [/font]
    TM Speedblade HL 5-9 PW, CP2 Wrap[/font]

TM Milled Grind 50" 9 Bounce GW- CP2 Wrap
    TM Tour Preferred 56" 12 Bounce SW
    [/font]
    - CP2 Wrap
    TM Milled Grind 60" 9 Bounce LW- CP2 Wrap-Mid-Size
    Ping Karsten TR B60 with Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

Taylor made TP5
  • WKentWKent Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    WKent wrote:

om18v wrote:

TF D2 Feel is a very good and overlooked golf ball. Long off tee, great feel off the club and adequate spin around greens.

I agree this is a very good ball. Many average golfers using premium balls would be better suited to this ball and likely to score better.
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭
    I tried the Pinnacle Soft on Tuesday and was surprised at how well it played. Distance was not an issue. For green side pitches and spin it was far better than the Velocity for me.
    Cobra F8+ 10.5*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 S

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Cobra F7 5-GW, R flex steel
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Zing 2 TR 34"

• 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭
    Velocity is too much of a one trick pony for my liking. The roll out adds a ton of overall distance, but makes it hard to hold the green on knock down shots. And even full shots roll out quite a bit

But If you are someone who likes to chase the ball up to the green the velocity will be long because of the extra roll out.
    WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • BogeySwineBogeySwine Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Jackrwesty wrote:

They don't spin on the greens for me, but I love them for every other shot! You'll get some extra yardage too
    Sometimes the seemingly wrong ball for a person turns into the perfect ball for some conditions! I found several of the Velocity golf balls earlier this fall. I cleaned them up and saved them in a container. When the leaves began to fall I stopped using the regular ball I had played and used the Velocity and other balls I had found. I don't hit the driver very far and usually my approaches to greens come up a bit short because of slight mishits! The Velocity ball runs out quite a bit with the driver and mishit shots into the greens gave me more roll and allowed me to hit a few more greens every round! Pure Luck? Yes, but I'll take it!!!!!!!!!
  • JustDoIt23JustDoIt23 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    I’m a 15 handicap (I know not great) and I have to say this is the best bang for your buck golf ball out there. Sure a pro v1 will spin more on approach shots and check more on pitches but this ball isn’t far off on both of there shots. Plus it’ll go further on tee shots . I’m all ears on responses
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭
    brew4eagle wrote:

cristphoto wrote:

Titleist ball fitting considers all shots, but puts the greatest emphasis on shots into and around the green. Seems the Velocity would fit those that are quite short off the tee and by gaining length off the tee will have shorter approach shots, thus impacting their scores more than solely focusing on greenside performance.

Also, lets face it, most ams underclub or miss hit most approaches so a ball that rolls out will leave the majority of players with shots closer to flags on average. I hit my irons ok and hate being over the back so use urethane, but for the player who always finds themself short of the green these might be a good option.
  • swing thoughtsswing thoughts Posts: 253 ✭✭
    I played one a while back and was hitting some serious bombs. I tend to hit a low to medium trajectory with driver for the most part and get lots of roll here in Texas. After four or five driver holes, I pulled out a Pro V1x and hit a second shot from the tee with it to compare. Very unscientific, I know, but the result was amusing to me. I hit them both almost identical start line and trajectory. The Pro V ended up about a yard further and five yards left of the Velocity, a (very slightly) better shot.
    Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 18.5 S
    Titleist 816 H1 21* S
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-9 S <or> Mizuno MP 69 4-9

Vokey SM6[background=transparent] 48* 10 S[/background]
    [background=transparent]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 52* 10 S[/background]
    Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58* ATV S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
    Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 38"
    [background=transparent]Scotty Futura X5 38"[/background]
    [background=transparent]Callaway Bobby Jones blade 35"[/background]
  • macedanmacedan Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Not a fan. I generate adequate spin numbers to work with my approach shot angles and experience expected check in the short game with my current gamers. The velocity is a good ball for scrambles or someone needing just a bit more roll-out, but I will stick to urethane.
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade Rescue 11 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • T.B.T.B. Posts: 128 ✭✭
    playa wrote:

brew4eagle wrote:

cristphoto wrote:

Also, lets face it, most ams underclub or miss hit most approaches so a ball that rolls out will leave the majority of players with shots closer to flags on average. I hit my irons ok and hate being over the back so use urethane, but for the player who always finds themself short of the green these might be a good option.
    I have a friend who constantly is short with every approach shot. He lives off of the one time he caught a 7 iron thin from a flyer lie and it went 180 yards