My DIY Backyard Putting Green!

MajeebusMajeebus Members Posts: 38
I definitely wanted to take the time to post my backyard putting green that I just did. I will also include links to the items I purchased as well as provide some background info to anyone who would like the information.

Anyway. On to the backyard install. So my backyard started out like this:

Tagged:

Comments

• MajeebusMajeebus Members Posts: 38
    So. I was happy with the one side but it took a year to do the other. I had to cut all the other side's fringe and also learn how to shape brick to get everything framed right.

Starting on the other side:

I call that "phase one" because I originally did not cement around the cups which allowed water to get into the subbase and literally render my putting green nothing more than a chipping green because you couldn't make putts (it was too bumpy).

Then I decided to rip everything up and make it right this time. I cemented around the cups:

• MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,379 ✭✭
  • is76550is76550 Members Posts: 1,310 ✭✭
    Great project, I am very jealous!
    TM / Titleist / Machine
    WITB Link
  • fsuspfsusp FloridaMembers Posts: 912 ✭✭
    Well done!
    Cobra F9 10.5 turned down to 9.5 w/Atmos Black 6x
    Cobra F8+ w/Rouge Silver extra stiff
    Srixon U45 20* w/Rouge Silver 70 gram stiff.
    Srxion 565 4-7 irons, 765 8-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 4.0s 50 and 54
    Titleist Vokey 58/12 D grind.
    Edel or SGC Norwood or Xenon Kutlass
    Dont be jealous thos is something anyone can do and if done on your own is pretty inexpensive..thanks for the positive remarks also guys I appreciate it!
  • tuckmantuckman Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    I just finished building a 300sqft paver patio so this doesn't seem bad at all.

How much is the Brock Base and where did you get the turf from? I would want good turf.
    edited May 22, 2018 #9
    The base panelsi got at home depot..to cover 9x15ft was $365.

I also got the. Green andrough from home depot. Its from aplace called starpro greens. I realy like the quality. For the green it was $699 and 10x15 for rough

was around 650 on top. Cost me a total of about $1700 or so.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • epyonepyon Members Posts: 473 ✭✭
    Nice work! Saw your post on the other site you posted on too. So, could you have gotten away with just compacting the soil, then putting the half inch of leveling sand below the pavers? Did you have to fill in the gaps or anything between the pavers to ensure a totally flat surface?
    Taylormade 2017 M1- AD DI 6s
    Cobra F7 3w - AD DI 7s
    Cobra F7 3H
    Cobra Bio Cell 4H
    Srixon 545 5-PW Nippon Modus 105
    Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 - KBS Tour
    Odyssey O-works7s Red
    Bettinardi BB1
    Bettinardi Queen Bee 6
    Actually, no. The brock panels make up for up to a quarter inch difference. If I would have known about the brock panels two years ago i would have used them. They eliminate the need to dig deep fjll with 4 to 6 inches of aggregate then do heavy compaction. Here u just need to clear ground compact add 1/2 inch leveling sand level light compact install panels then put green over.
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    Great job, wish I could do that!
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
    Also...you should install panels differently from brocks directions. I took six inch wave galvanized timber spikes and nailed the panels down after lining up. The reason i recommend this is because they are designed to have heavy pavers on them so their directions wouldnt apply. One thing I was going to try instead of nailing each one down was to take a staple gun that uses outward bending staples and staple each panel tight to each other panel. That would maintain the benefit of the brock panels acting as a floatin subbase.

If the timber spikes ever come up Ill start replacing with those staples. I dont know that Ill need to though.
  • Jose c.Jose c. Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Awsome when a vision comes together, well done!!!
    Thank you! That is a very accurate statement! It does feel nice when something you've been planning actually works out!
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 673 ✭✭
    Definitely need one of these LOL
  • wstrayhowstrayho Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    what did you use to cut the holes in the paver base?
  • JimGantzJimGantz Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    This is amazing. Bunker and everything. Definitely need one of these
    Mizuno ST190 / Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    Taylormade M4 3W / Atmos Red
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2i / HZRDUS Black
    Mizuno JPX 900T 4-9 / KBS C Taper S
    47* Cobra Tour Trusty / KBS 610 S
    53* Cobra King V Grind / KBS 610 S
    59* Cobra King C Grind / KBS 610 S
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
    Taylormade TP5
    Just a regular carpet cutter. Cuts pretty easy. Now those cuts werent perfect but I found golf cup lips that are thin plastic and line the area between the top of the cup and the surface.
    Finally got around to making a few videos of me chipping and putting on my green.

Putting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPS8IPwJ2Co

Chipping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzwvT9DPfgM

Chipping 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q39HiYp2Jvs

As you can see on the last one....I hit a really high chip from 20 yards out and was still able to hold the green without the ball bouncing up in the air and off the green, so I'm really happy with how it's performance is...
  • hack2489hack2489 Members Posts: 214
    Good stuff Majeebus!

DIY is awesome.

What was your total cost?

It looks like you have another area in front of the 'teebox' ... Are you going to put more 'turf' down there to give yourself different chipping distances?

Now that you've used it, would you make the putting green bigger in hindsight? It looks like you had room to extend it back further and could have moved the 'teebox' further along the side fence too so you'd have a bigger putting green for practising lag putting and a longer chipping set up too. Thoughts?
  • padgetpadget Members Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Majeebus wrote:

Finally got around to making a few videos of me chipping and putting on my green.

Putting:

[url="

Chipping:

[url="

Chipping 2:

[url="

As you can see on the last one....I hit a really high chip from 20 yards out and was still able to hold the green without the ball bouncing up in the air and off the green, so I'm really happy with how it's performance is...

Nice work dude!
  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,368 ✭✭
    Wow! DIY of the Year!

Great job!
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭
    great tip on the concrete around the holes! Nice job

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno ST190TS 15/ Fuji Speeder TR 757S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 50&56/ Modus 120S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

Hey hack. Thanks for the feedback! Next year I'm going to make a few more tee boxes. These are the red tees (girl tees) ill do one five yards back for white then one a little further and off to the side for blues.

I'm definitely happy with the green size. I use it more for chipping and practice putting more for aim than anything. Longest putt is 14 feet. I have the best thing ever in the house for practicing lag putting. It's called the puttist. I can putt on that up to 45 feet and change stimps!

I got this size too because all the putting greens you see in backyards are the typical big green little fringe around. I wanted lots of rough and sand trap with a green in the middle so I like the way it looks as well.

Total cost was around 1500 or so.
    Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. Also I forgot in May I did the costing and it was more like 1700 for the cost.
  • K.ipK.ip Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Amazing work! Thank you for sharing

• golf9596golf9596 Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭
    sweet job....May want to add some beer holders too!!!!
    Driver Epic Flash TD-Diamana D+ 70-Stiff
    3 Wood TM M6 Project X 75-S
    TM Stage 2 18.5* Speeder VC7-S
    Callaway Apex Forged w/$-Tapper-S-pw..4
    Putter.....Scott Cameron Phantom X12- 33.5"/SC 2.5 Newport 33"
    Mac Daddy PM..51* & 57*
    Jones Original
    Pro V 1 (2017)
    golf9596 wrote:

I'm actually going to have a golf hole sign done up saying "hole 19 Par 2 1/2 then next to it have an authentic golf ball cleaner near the tee boxes (like on a real golf course). Under the tree I'm going to have a nice bench then also a golf course igloo water cooler container with the water cooler in it. When we have parties I'll just put the beer in there. It'll definately be cool.

I'm definately creating a "party pad" back yard. I've got a hot tub and outdoor furniture overlooking the other side of the pergola that has a massive outdoor projector screen for movies....Then the putting green...
  • fsuspfsusp FloridaMembers Posts: 912 ✭✭
    Majeebus wrote:

golf9596 wrote:

I'm actually going to have a golf hole sign done up saying "hole 19 Par 2 1/2 then next to it have an authentic golf ball cleaner near the tee boxes (like on a real golf course). Under the tree I'm going to have a nice bench then also a golf course igloo water cooler container with the water cooler in it. When we have parties I'll just put the beer in there. It'll definately be cool.

I'm definately creating a "party pad" back yard. I've got a hot tub and outdoor furniture overlooking the other side of the pergola that has a massive outdoor projector screen for movies....Then the putting green...

That sounds awesome! Enjoy every moment of it!
    Cobra F9 10.5 turned down to 9.5 w/Atmos Black 6x
    Cobra F8+ w/Rouge Silver extra stiff
    Srixon U45 20* w/Rouge Silver 70 gram stiff.
    Srxion 565 4-7 irons, 765 8-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 4.0s 50 and 54
    Titleist Vokey 58/12 D grind.
    Edel or SGC Norwood or Xenon Kutlass
    fsusp wrote:

Majeebus wrote:

golf9596 wrote:

That sounds awesome! Enjoy every moment of it!

Thank you! I'm definitely trying!