Scotty Cameron Newport -- Tiger Woods 1997 Putter

jucornett1jucornett1 Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
Can anyone help identify if this putter was used by Tiger in any tournaments in ~~ 1997. It appears to me to be one that could have been in play, but I wondered if any if you could verify that? It was allegedly given to Andre Reed (NFL Hall of famer) by Tiger himself who said it was used in tournament play. I have attached images to this thread for reference!

[background=transparent]Thanks in advance![/background]

Comments

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    Please tell me this is a joke.
  • Tag42Tag42 Spam Posts: 56
    Isn’t that what he used for the 1997 masters? Comes in here so nonchalantly with a putter that, if real, could be worth 50k?
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* KK TiNi 50
    Callaway Rogue 15* KK TiNi 50
    Callaway Rogue 19*, 24*, 27* Hybrids Aldila Synergy 60
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 7-PW, GW, SW Project X LZ Tour 90
    Toulon Portland H4
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,405 ✭✭
    Tiger still owns the 97 Masters putter.
  • jucornett1jucornett1 Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Tag42 wrote:

Isn't that what he used for the 1997 masters? Comes in here so nonchalantly with a putter that, if real, could be worth 50k?

well, i'm not trying to be boastful... I know it could be worth A LOT of money, but pictures I have seen of the putter from his masters victory appear to have a little different sole. however, other photos I have seen it looks like an exact match. Specifically speaking, photos from the 97 Ryder Cup look to be spot on. I was just posting this to try to get some help identifying the putter and what/if any tournaments it was used in 1997. thanks again...
  • Tag42Tag42 Spam Posts: 56
    jucornett1 wrote:

Tag42 wrote:

Isn't that what he used for the 1997 masters? Comes in here so nonchalantly with a putter that, if real, could be worth 50k?

well, i'm not trying to be boastful... I know it could be worth A LOT of money, but pictures I have seen of the putter from his masters victory appear to have a little different sole. however, other photos I have seen it looks like an exact match. Specifically speaking, photos from the 97 Ryder Cup look to be spot on. I was just posting this to try to get some help identifying the putter and what/if any tournaments it was used in 1997. thanks again...

I just hope you didn’t pay too much for it- I am sure tiger has that putter locked in the vault
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* KK TiNi 50
    Callaway Rogue 15* KK TiNi 50
    Callaway Rogue 19*, 24*, 27* Hybrids Aldila Synergy 60
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 7-PW, GW, SW Project X LZ Tour 90
    Toulon Portland H4
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,405 ✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 #8
    Tiger’s 97 TeI3 didn’t have the face logo. It was on the sole. That Masters victory prompted Cameron to move the TeI3 logo from the sole to the face to make it more visible.

Plus I’m pretty sure it had a flange line covered up with some kind of black tape.
    I've looked through a ton of pics and couldn't find any where Tiger's TEI3 had this exact face logo. He had one with a dot and face logo but it wasn't the same. Along the way, I discovered my new favorite picture...
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭
    Rory4Pres wrote:

I've looked through a ton of pics and couldn't find any where Tiger's TEI3 had this exact face logo. He had one with a dot and face logo but it wasn't the same. Along the way, I discovered my new favorite picture...

Looks like Monty got crop dusted by Tiger
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries Fwy - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki  z80 Hybrid - S
    W/S FG62 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS  Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum
  • tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    jucornett1 wrote:

Can anyone help identify if this putter was used by Tiger in any tournaments in ~~ 1997. It appears to me to be one that could have been in play, but I wondered if any if you could verify that? It was allegedly given to Andre Reed (NFL Hall of famer) by Tiger himself who said it was used in tournament play. I have attached images to this thread for reference!

[background=transparent]Thanks in advance![/background]

Send it to the studio one of three things will happen:

1) You'l get a COA stating it is a "C" which means it has work done by other then the Studio and not legit

2) You'll get a call from the Studio or Cameron or even Tiger himself wanting to trade you for something or a $$$$ offer.

3) You'll get a COA stating that what you say is true.

Even if 100% of those who see it here say its legit, it doesn't amount to a **** of a lot of beans until SC or Tiger himself gives you some paper proving your story.

Good Luck! If you send it in, please update, specially if its true !!!!
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 971 ClubWRX
    It’s too late a model.

Rob
  • 23under23under KING Posts: 1,333 ✭✭
  • Misc1600Misc1600 ClubWRX Posts: 906 ClubWRX
    Scotty1140 wrote:
    Tiger’s 97 TeI3 didn’t have the face logo. It was on the sole. That Masters victory prompted Cameron to move the TeI3 logo from the sole to the face to make it more visible.

Plus I’m pretty sure it had a flange line covered up with some kind of black tape.

This
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    Tiger has been known to say that, that putter is still in his garage and is off limits to anyone, even his kids. Sorry dude, you just got a stamped tei3. Still...a nice putter though!

Plus the 1997 model is a sole stamp, the 1998 model is a face stamp
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
    For the record, he hasn't bought it. it's on auction right now. He's just wanting others to research it for him.
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,424 ClubWRX
    edited May 24, 2018 #17
    Unless there are legitimate certificate of authenticity from Scotty Cameron and Tiger Woods I wouldn't touch this putter. Many an OTR putter has had stampings done or some other alteration to make it look like a putter from the tour, or in this case one that belonged to Tiger Woods. There have been thread upon thread regarding this practice here on GolfWRX as well as TCC. My gut tells me this is one of those putters.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
    rory...

Not sure what you are talking about big guy. Apparently you like to be a smart a$$ on message boards. I don’t need you to do any research for me and I sure as heck don’t need your approval. I already own the putter. I merely asked if anyone knew anything about this putter and if it was used in tournaments in 1997. Feel free to ignore this thread going forward... I certainly don’t want or need your help.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,189 ClubWRX
    No need to get upset. It’s not a 97 model tei3. Someone told you a story or is mistaken.
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • clemsoncowboysclemsoncowboys Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Rory4Pres wrote:

Colin looks upset.
  • mmckee02mmckee02 Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
    Regardless of the outcome, sweet putter! Send it in for a COA and see what happens.
    The putter has been confirmed by Cameron to be made for and used by Tiger Woods in 1997. 100% Authentic COA from Cameron and letter explaining coming soon! How exciting!!!

According to the factory, they can tell this putter was made for Tiger because of the type of shaft and the custom work necessary to fit this shaft in the putter. Apparently, Tiger had a special shaft apart from other players and this shaft is still in the putter. Given the shaft is slightly bent now, it was also likely done by Tiger ( we all know he has a bit of a temper ). All in All a truely special putter ... I am very excited to say it has been 100% verified !! Woo hoo !!
  • thedurtydurdenthedurtydurden Members Posts: 271 ✭✭
    Wow. Can kind of make out a flared tip shaft going in the plumber's neck. IIRC it is a softer shaft from an 8802 that Tiger played in the Masters putter. Very interesting nonetheless. Post the COA when you get it! Congrats!
    Tour Issue M2 Speeder Evo 2.0 Tour Spec 661X
    Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
    Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT
    Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT
    Cobra PUR 50, 55, 60 Versatile
    Scotty Cameron
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭

Wow. Can kind of make out a flared tip shaft going in the plumber's neck. IIRC it is a softer shaft from an 8802 that Tiger played in the Masters putter. Very interesting nonetheless. Post the COA when you get it! Congrats!

Agreed, please post the COA as it would be very cool to read.

Thanks for showing
  • tuckmantuckman Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    This thread is great. Everyone here said no chance it's authentic and some were arrogant about it. Good for you OP.
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,602 ✭✭
    That's awesome!

Congrats!
    Yadi for President
  • rileypratherrileyprather Members Posts: 251
    Whoa! That is something else!
    WITB:
    Callaway EPIC SZ - HZRDUS T800 6.0
    Callaway EPIC 3+ - HZRDUS T800 6.0
    Titleist 913h 19 - Diamana blue
    Wishon 575 cb/mb combo - Project X rifle 5.5
    Callaway MD3 - 52 - 56 - 60
    Scotty Select Newport 2 (2018)
  • OaksOaks Member of #TeamJetSpeed ClubWRX Posts: 2,376 ClubWRX
    Amazing discovery and putter. Congrats
    M1 440 9.5* - ACCRA TZP Proto 265 M5      X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X     JetSpeed 19* w Matrix Hm95X 
    MP-63 3-PW - Project X 6.0      RTX4  54.10 & 60.09 - DG TI S400     Toulon Portland    Titleist  2016 Ultralight
    #TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    I stand corrected! Awesome stuff, maybe a backup he had made but never used. Good stuff.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,189 ClubWRX
    Any link to coa yet? I’d love to see it!
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
    I will get the COA next week I believe. When I do, I’ll post. Thanks