MacGregor MT Pro C

A gorgeous, forged iron made from soft 1025 carbon steel isn't just for the professional player when it can come with a more forgiving computer numeric controlled (CNC) milled cavity back. The MT PRO-C Forged Irons are made with the same quality forging and milling process found in the MT PRO-M Iron, but with a cavity back that provides more forgiveness and is still workable. The wedge shaped cavity muscle provides solid feel and feedback, offering forgiveness without sacrificing ball control. This updated version of the VIP Tour Iron is designed with a slightly more offset and larger head, especially for the better amateur player.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I got my set of Pro CM's a few days ago. Played 1 round so far. LOVE them. The only issue I have is that I already have a chip in the finish on the 7 iron and on the P wedge. They seem to chip very easily. Otherwise they are awesome.

I've had the Pro M's for several months and don't have any chips. You might want to have that checked out as it's probably the same metal. I haven't heard of anyone else talking about chipping on the huge MacGregor thread already going.

• 2 months later...
Have had my set of Pro CM's for about a week now...2 rounds later and all I can say is...WOW. The best feeling irons ever! Usually never liked reaching for the long irons, but now I can't wait for longer par 3's!

Did notice a little "dent" on my 6 iron already though...

Not to thread jack but I am looking at the same set as those in your sig. Can I ask how you like the Nippon shafts and what is your SS? I hit a demo with that shaft and loved it. Maybe because it was lighter than the DGs I picked up quite a bit more SS with it.

Have had my set of Pro CM's for about a week now...2 rounds later and all I can say is...WOW. The best feeling irons ever! Usually never liked reaching for the long irons, but now I can't wait for longer par 3's!

Not to thread jack but I am looking at the same set as those in your sig. Can I ask how you like the Nippon shafts and what is your SS? I hit a demo with that shaft and loved it. Maybe because it was lighter than the DGs I picked up quite a bit more SS with it.

Bit of a weird one here...apparently you really have to muscle it to get the most out of these shafts but the fact that they're quite light will increase SS... I have a pretty fast swing so its suits me fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a weird one here...apparently you really have to muscle it to get the most out of these shafts but the fact that they're quite light will increase SS... I have a pretty fast swing so its suits me fine.

I ended up getting a set for a steal and they are already my gamers!

So far the Nippon 1150 tour shafts are working out OK. I have noticed a higher ball flight but not really ballooning. My tendency is to get quick and I LOVE how these shafts don't punish me too much when I do.

• 4 weeks later...

My MP-29's have finally been unseated.

I gamed the MacGregor Pro C/M's with Project X 6.5's after playing my MP-29's for YEARS w/ x100's.

The shot dispersion is better. The trajectory is tighter and easier to control. the short irons are like scalpels. I cannot say enough about these irons.

everyone should be playing these irons.

8.5 g400 lst atmos black 6s (set at 9.2)
16 cally 816 rombax 7w06s (set at 15n)
19 adams xtd atmos blue 8s

4 tm790 modus3 130s

6-8 tm760 modus3 130s

9-p mp20 modus3 130s
50, 54 cobra mim modus3 130s
58 14K sm9 modus 125s

61 scratch sti lbe dg spinner + 
hex t bb0 or spider x chalk

• 2 weeks later...

Weeeeee....Hi everyone :)

I got my Pro-CMs (S-300 shafts) the other day and love them! Actually bought the MT 460 Driver and 3 metal and 5 metal too...

Oh and did I mention I have the wedges as well....

I have always been a Macgregor fan but have not bought a club from them since around 1980. The VIP muscle backs were the last club I did buy then. I have waited a long time for this moment and have fianlly laid down my VIP Muscle backs down, (along with my Tony Penna persimmon Woods), for the full set of Macgregor Pro- CM irons and wood/metal as stated above.

Some First Shots with them:

1.) 4 iron, ball above my feet about 1 foot and 3 in deep poahana rough grass, smashed it 200 yds felt like butter dead straight.

2.) Driver Par five ~ 290 to creek off tee with a 20 yard gap in middle of fairway. 3 feet right from dead center in gap crossing creek.

3.) Took 5 wood ( I think it is a five - 16.5 degree's) on same hole above and ripped it 225 about 14 feet long and right. ( missed the damn putt for eagle)

4.) 8 iron shot 140 up hill, wind helping, hit behind pin spun back 2 feetish 5 inches from hole.

Had allot more good shots first round (only played 9) and just love these clubs.

The M's 7-PW are like having a new set of Muscle Backs VIPs and they have not missed a beat. I really like the C's in the 4-6 as well. Absolutely solid, workable, and like butter.

The "woods" are magical. My misses are generally thin or toe high right on the face with a driver. Either way the ball carries well and straight -Just Add Swing :) The driver and other fairway woods are workable and forgiving....

The wedges are crisp!!!

One Word....

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............

the gunmetal will wear pretty quick, but the irons will still perform great!

Go with the combo set, they are sooo nice!

do you know if the gunmetal is removeable with coke, or does it have to be stripped, i emailed macgregor golf and didnt get an answer, i wanted to get a set of pro m's and put them in coke to get them raw, and is there a chrome plating under the gunmetal, im having a hard time finding any info on this, if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

• 1 month later...

I bought the blended set of Pro-M and Pro-C late last fall. It's my first new set of irons since buying the Lynx Parallax irons in 1993.

I played them once prior to winter arriving in Denver. I have the Pro-M in 7-PW and the Pro-C in 4I-6I. I had my clubfitter confirm the lofts; some were significantly off the factory specs. I also had him bend the 4I strong, to 22*. This lets me carry a 51* gap wedge and keeps my loft gaps consistent from Lob Wedge through 5I (4* gaps.) Stock shafts (S-300) actually tested out closer to X-100 by frequency, which was nice because my old set were built with Rifle shafts to about that stiffness.

These irons feel fantastic. They have a soft yet solid feel that cast irons just cannot match, IMO. I have a very high ball flight and these irons have brought my ball flight down slightly. For me, the trajectories I get from both the muscle back and cavity back irons are ideal and it is much easier to knock the ball down with these irons.

MacGregor has made a very smart move in allowing buyers to combine the Pro-M and Pro-C in any combination when ordering. More companies should permit this kind of flexibility to meet the needs of players who know exactly what they want but usually are prohibited from getting it from most manufacturers.

I play to an index between 1 and 2; driver SS is 110 or so.

Adams 9015d: 9.5*, Prolaunch Red X, 45"
Titleist 915Fd: 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 X, 42.5", Set to 16*
Titliest 816 H1: 19*, Speeder Tour 8.8 X, 40.5", Set to 20*
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P; Project X 6.0; Std Lofts and Lies
Cleveland 588: 51*, 55*, 59*, DG S-400
Ping Anser 3: 35" with Winn Midsize Pistol grip
Winn Excel Wrap midsize grips

• 3 weeks later...

If these beautifull ,clean cut big emblem free,thin topline and soled, quality 100% forged ( I think in Chicago,USA), Don White designed irons originally $799.00 irons aren,t the steal of the year right now I don,t have a clue what is. On top of that I have hit them well in three range sessions. Now with these compact heads I know I have to bring that same range swing to the course for these to preform but that's on me not the clubs.

I just bought 2 new sets of the gunmetal Pro C's on the bay... for $299.00 per set. 3-PW with Nippon 1150 GH Tours. I had to have a backup set, right? :D

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Did you happen to hit the Split cavity and if so can you compare to the Pro-Cs? Ijust got a set of Cs and can only hit them on range and as I posted they are great. I may move some other stuff for some other irons (while keeping the Cs) and would want something a bit more forgiving than the Cs which although fine, can play when tanking a bit.

• 1 month later...

played with a guy today who was kind enough to let me borrow his satin finished pro m 7 iron with the nippon shafts. So far(hit a few balls while we were playing) the shaft seems a tad too light for me and the ball flight was HIGH, but they felt really soft and look great at address. Im in the market for a new set of clubs and Id like a set of blades,a nd for the deals going around right now on these bad boys im thinking Id be crazy not to pick a set up!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I just bought 2 new sets of the gunmetal Pro C's on the bay... for $299.00 per set. 3-PW with Nippon 1150 GH Tours. I had to have a backup set, right? :D

Funny, I just did the same exact thing except I bought 1 set in gun metal and the other in the satin finish. I've enjoyed my Tourney MT cavity backs for 8 years and am glad I've found a forged version of a very similar set up. I bought with the S300 shafts which will play differently than my current MT's with True Temper Superlite flighted shafts. I'm awaiting the arrival of these irons like a kid on Christmas Eve. I hope to post a raving review here once they arrive and I get a few rounds in with them.