2018 USWO

KBongKBong Members Posts: 1,257 ✭✭
edited May 29, 2018 in LPGA/Ladies golf talk #1
With a poor forecast...it looks like Shoal Creek will be playing like a mud hole with probably a lot of weather delays.

Likely might play lift, clean and place.... which is a shame.

Lots of pros say it's a great course....but it's a shame they say that they can't play it in pristine conditions.

Looks like a long hitter might have an advantage on this soft course.

The LPGA tour has been plagued this year with some lousy weather.

On course photos

http://www.golfwrx.c...us-womens-open/

Comments

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,264 ✭✭
    Today's practice round cancelled.
  • StoochStooch Members Posts: 903 ✭✭
    KBong wrote:

With a poor forecast...it looks like Shoal Creek will be playing like a mud hole with probably a lot of weather delays.

Likely might play lift, clean and place.... which is a shame.

Lots of pros say it's a great course....but it's a shame they say that they can't play it in pristine conditions.

Looks like a long hitter might have an advantage on this soft course.

The LPGA tour has been plagued this year with some lousy weather.

On course photos

http://www.golfwrx.c...us-womens-open/

I don't think the USGA does that for their Major events (ever), I could be wrong and sure I'll be corrected if I am image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • ClairefromClareClairefromClare Members Posts: 414 ✭✭
    Agreed--Jerry Foltz tweeted the same.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,847 ✭✭
    Right, the USGA rarely plays preferred lies.
  • 4waymiss4waymiss Members Posts: 1,019 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

Then maybe it is time for the USGA to get with the times. We are seeing extreme weather conditions more and more often, and it can only get worse going forward. They are already making wholesale changes to the rules, why not preferred lies?

Unless they want to see players like Lexi and SHP hitting mud balls to the green, turning the national championship into a game of roulette. It could also give a new twist to the age old WRX debate: Can a men 4 beat a LPGA, with both hitting mud balls ?
    4waymiss wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

Then maybe it is time for the USGA to get with the times. We are seeing extreme weather conditions more and more often, and it can only get worse going forward. They are already making wholesale changes to the rules, why not preferred lies?

Unless they want to see players like Lexi and SHP hitting mud balls to the green, turning the national championship into a game of roulette. It could also give a new twist to the age old WRX debate: Can a men 4 beat a LPGA, with both hitting mud balls ?

The problem is that the LPGA is often quick to implement preferred lies when there is any threat of foul weather, even when the course is in playable condition. Good and back luck are part of the game. Ball in a divot? Oh well. Ball hits a tree, and bounced into the fairway? Taken with a smile.
    Argonne69 wrote:

4waymiss wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

The problem is that the LPGA is often quick to implement preferred lies when there is any threat of foul weather, even when the course is in playable condition. Good and back luck are part of the game. Ball in a divot? Oh well. Ball hits a tree, and bounced into the fairway? Taken with a smile.

Too many people forget this.
    Argonne69 wrote:

4waymiss wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

Good and back luck are part of life. But when I am watching the top girls from the world competing for the most prestigious championship. I want the skill factor to be maximized and the luck factor to be minimized.

We have no control over mother nature. But we do have means to deal with the consequence of it.
  • hebsanhebsan Members Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Unless your ball or your stance is in casual water, play it down.
    hebsan wrote:

Unless your ball or your stance is in casual water, play it down.

This is the bottom line.
    OK, how about a compromise. If a player can see mud attached to the ball, they're allowed to lift, clean, and replace. Otherwise play it as it lies. The playing partner would have to confirm the mud on the ball.
  • TrugravityTrugravity Members Posts: 287 ✭✭
    Weather forecast is disappointing, let’s hope it takes a turn for the better! Last Friday I retired, so had considered making the trek to Shoal Creek, but between the forecast and having chased grandkids for the past week, opted to relax and watch it from home. Plus, I’ll see the girls play in Grand Rapids, Chicago and possibly Indy. Let’s hope for a great tourney!
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,586 ClubWRX
    So the question is whether you have a better chance with solid strikes on muddy balls from the fairway semi-randomly spinning out of control or hacking wet knuckleballs out of the rough which may or may not reach the safety of the receptive greens. Sounds like the "best putter wins Open". Inbee vs. Lyds in playoff (Kerr misses playoff by 2 when she wraps 8-iron around Mike Davis's head)?
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • hebsanhebsan Members Posts: 841 ✭✭

I guess we better be prepared for a crustier Crusty this week.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,193 ✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 #17
    Argonne69 wrote:

Correct if by rarely you mean never. The USGA has never used L/C/P (preferred lies) for any of their championships. Ever.
    hebsan wrote:

Sounds like they will play the ball down. As they should.

https://golfweek.com...n-for-72-holes/

I guess we better be prepared for a crustier Crusty this week.

Crusty was really ripping the USGA a new one to a reporter. But afterwards she must had realized she now has her wine label to shill, so she retracted it thru Twitter , saying she "has nothing but respect for the USGA" image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />)
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,680 ✭✭
    Lift, clean, and drop would be a good compromise.
  • TasalsTasals Members Posts: 312 ✭✭
    xxio wrote:

Lift, clean, and drop would be a good compromise.

you can still improve the lie you had, or get out of some deep rough or whatever. They should have to recreate the lie you had, but its just too easy to cheat no matter how you do it.
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,680 ✭✭
    ^^only in closely mown areas. At least it is not guaranteed to be perfect.
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,165 ✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 #22
    Far be it from me to bash folks unnecessarily, there is a real possibility of standing water out there. I know it's a US Open and all, but if a ball rolls into a puddle (or lake) in the middle of the fairway, seriously is that really fair? I mean if they play the ball down, then OK, but if you play were the ball is only a little visible or whatever, is that really fair?
    **Am I playing Mizuno or PING?  Who knows anymore!**
    PING Bruzer (I can't wait!)
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • bhmgolferbhmgolfer Members Posts: 59
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news....I live in Birmingham about 6 miles "as the crow flies" from Shoal Creek. As I write this around 845 am Wednesday morning, it is still raining steadily and can hear rumbles of thunder. We have a 90% chance of more rain today with an additional one half to three quarters of an inch of accumulation. Just an awful situation for this tournament. Wouldn't surprise me if practice rounds are cancelled for today like they were yesterday. Can't imagine how much work it's going to take to make Shoal Creek playable for the start tomorrow. The tournament needs to catch a break....and real soon.
  • MixedBagMixedBag Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    I live 3 miles from the course and it tends to dry/take water well (watched several nasty Region's Tournaments there, I'm not a member). With that said, I'm planning to attend Saturday and haven't been keeping up with the LPGA this year. I'm taking my 8yr old nephew and 8 yr old goddaughter (both started playing golf last year) and need to know who we should follow? Rather it not be the most crowded group, so someone interesting to watch but at the same time someone not everyone will be following. Any ideas? thanks
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]M1 10.5 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] F9 3/4[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]F9 5/6[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] AMP Cell 4/5h[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] CG16 5-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Grindworks[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 86 Series - 50* and 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sunset Beach[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 60*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM Chaska (silver) / Lajosi mid-mallet prototype[/font]
    tbowles411 wrote:

Far be it from me to bash folks unnecessarily, there is a real possibility of standing water out there. I know it's a US Open and all, but if a ball rolls into a puddle (or lake) in the middle of the fairway, seriously is that really fair? I mean if they play the ball down, then OK, but if you play were the ball is only a little visible or whatever, is that really fair?

If the ball comes to rest in casual water, they can still take relief. That rule is not discarded simply because they are not playing preferred lies.
    MixedBag wrote:

I live 3 miles from the course and it tends to dry/take water well (watched several nasty Region's Tournaments there, I'm not a member). With that said, I'm planning to attend Saturday and haven't been keeping up with the LPGA this year. I'm taking my 8yr old nephew and 8 yr old goddaughter (both started playing golf last year) and need to know who we should follow? Rather it not be the most crowded group, so someone interesting to watch but at the same time someone not everyone will be following. Any ideas? thanks

If you're looking for a player(s) with wonderful tempo, and a simply wonderful swing, you can't go wrong with In Gee, Minjee, or Sung Hyun. They'll each have crowds, but it shouldn't be crazy.

If you want to see birdies, Moriya, Ariya, or Brooke would be the ones to follow.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,369 ClubWRX
    Argonne69 wrote:

MixedBag wrote:

If you're looking for a player(s) with wonderful tempo, and a simply wonderful swing, you can't go wrong with In Gee, Minjee, or Sung Hyun. They'll each have crowds, but it shouldn't be crazy.

If you want to see birdies, Moriya, Ariya, or Brooke would be the ones to follow.

Throw Jin Young Ko on there, possibly the most fluid iron swing I have ever seen, pure, as pure can be.
    F9 - 9* Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,369 ClubWRX
    edited May 30, 2018 #28
    So, who is everyone picking to be in contention/win this thing.

It seems Moriya and Ariya basically contend about every time they tee it up anymore. In Bee and Shanshan hit a lot of fairways and greens, but will wet conditions favor more length?

I haven't seen anything from Lexi so far this year to male me think she will be in it, but never know with her, needs to putt.

Sung Hyun is very up and down, missed cut/win/missed cut, but the game, if on, will be right there. In Gee looking better and better recently, could she have 3 Majors, and no regular tour wins?

Brooke has some length, and can make some birdies, if mistakes are minimized, could see her competing for the win.

I am going with Jin Young Ko, think it would be 3 of the last 4 years a Korean Rookie won the US Open if she did. She seems to minimize the mistakes. Can Heyjin Choi repeat some of the magic from last year?

I can't wait for it to start, hope the weather eases so we can see 4 days.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    F9 - 9* Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X