REVIEWS: Graphite Design MAD Shafts. Read GolfWRX member reviews here.

Four GolfWRX members are reviewing Graphite Design's MAD Shaft and sharing their thoughts with our community.

They are: icec0ld, jcamn1, webber, J-Tizzle

ABOUT GRAPHITE DESIGN MAD SHAFTS:

The team in the R&D lab at Graphite Design Japan went all out when designing the new Graphite Design MAD wood shafts. A challenge was issued to them to design a shaft that would alleviate the ill-fated golf ball flight issues that results in a lack of Maximum Accuracy and Distance. Accepting the challenge, they went to work in an effort to develop a cure.

The new Graphite Design MAD shaft is their response. Available in two strengths, the Graphite Design MAD Standard strength wood shafts are available in a 45g A and R Flex, 55g R and S Flex, 65g R and S Flex and a 70g S Flex and is designed for the intermediate to advanced players.

The Graphite Design MAD PRO strength wood shafts are available in 65g S and X Flex and 75g X Flex and is designed for the advanced to professional players with higher swing speeds.

Make an appointment with your local professional golf club fitter and request that he write you a prescription for a new Graphite Design MAD shaft to cure your ball flight issues that may be holding you back from achieving Maximum Accuracy and Distance.

MAD

• Designed to promote Mid to Mid/High launch angles with Low/Mid to Mid ball spin rates.
  • TORAYCA ® T1100G carbon-fiber pre-preg with NANOALLOY ® technology for increased stability in the mid to tip region and unsurpassed feel.
  • Ultra-premium, high modulus, aerospace quality carbon fiber materials.
  • Graphite Design proprietary Material Stiffness Integration (MSI) design philosophy and technology.

MAD PRO

• Designed to promote Mid launch angles with Low ball spin rates.
  • TORAYCA ® T1100G carbon-fiber pre-preg with NANOALLOY ® technology for increased stability in the mid to tip region and unsurpassed feel.
  • Ultra-premium, high modulus, aerospace quality carbon fiber materials.
  • Graphite Design proprietary Material Stiffness Integration (MSI) design philosophy and technology.

Let's keep this thread clear so members can start posting.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the shaft ready to go.... Will post results here ASAP.....

For those that are wondering, I'm putting up the MAD Pro 6s against a Tensei Pro Orange 60s.

Update #1: Went to the range yesterday (5/31) and some quick observations (no quantitative numbers yet). You can definitely feel the balance point is different then the PO. The sound definitely comes off more as a thud then the PO. With my 10.5 M4, for me, the launch is about the same as the PO but the spin is more. The ball definitely feels like it hangs in the air more and goes significantly higher at the apex. Also, I usually do better with low launch shafts as I release a little later. With the Pro Orange, I don't miss as much right but it seems that for me it is a lot easier to hit a fade with the MAD Pro. I would definitely say that this shaft is either a straight or right miss whereas with the PO I can on occasion miss left with.

Update #2: I've put a couple rounds in with this and the PO. Three things I've noticed for me with this shaft: 1) The shaft feels considerably lighter than my PO 2) The MAD definitely has a more right tendency for me than the PO, although distance is comparable and 3) the ball definitely is affected by the wind more than the PO. I will get numbers for the shaft soon but judging by the ball flight and by performance in the wind, the MAD Pro seems to spin more than the PO.

Also of note, I've been using the 2016 Taylormade Tour Preferred golf ball with both shafts.

Hey everyone, I wanted to thank Graphite Design and GolfWRX for the opportunity to test out the MAD Pro shaft!

I’ve got a Trackman appointment scheduled for Friday, so I’m hoping to get some good intel on how it compares to my favorite shaft I’ve played in a while.

While you wait for the results. Here are some preliminary pictures of the shaft and it installed in my G400 LS. Really like the look of the shaft installed. Kinda looks like the old Grafalloy Red shaft but the black part is very matte gray. Looks really cool!

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Updated with specs and full review (6.5.2018)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Had my Trackman session today, with Ryan Fisher at Grips Golf in Springfield, MO. If you're from the area I 100% recommend going to work with Fish. I grew up playing Jr golf against him and when I started the game I took lessons from his dad.

I'll follow up a bit later this afternoon/weekend with my full write up.

Overall impressions is the MAD 65 Pro MIGHT be a little too stiff for me, maybe I didn't need to go Pro on it. My numbers are basically identical to my current gamer, but I felt like I had to work so much harder to swing the club if that makes sense. The general numbers were approximately: 104 swing speed, 12* launch, 2600 backspin, 265 carry, 290 total. The MAD felt like I just had to swing at it harder (but not really swinging any faster) to get the shaft to work, but I'll dig into the numbers a bit more, I've gotta cool down, not used to hammering drivers for 45 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Full Review

So you can see above my initial impressions of the Graphite Design MAD Pro shaft. I'll now go more into depth comparing it to my gamer after a few rounds playing the shaft, hitting the shaft against my current gamer on the range, and then my Trackman results from my above session.

Background - Just a little background on myself as a golfer. I picked up the game around 13 and got hooked, and I mean hooked. Played a ton as a kid, highschool golfer, got some offers to play at smaller local D2 schools and walked onto my local D1 school, however decided I enjoyed playing the game for fun so I passed. I now am married and play maybe 30-40 rounds a year, usually on the weekend. In the past I've done state competitions and have made the match play of the Missouri Am a couple times but never made it out of the first round (I've played the eventual champion 2x, losing to one 1 down, and losing to the other in 19 holes). Overall, the strength of my game is my driving accuracy and that I can get up and down out of a telephone booth. I've never been a short driver of the ball, but I've never been long enough to have it be a true strength, my strength is my "total driving", so combing accuracy and distance.

I'm currently gaming a G400 LST 8.5* set at the small "+" sign, so I guess technically at 9.1*. I have an untipped Diamana S+ 60s shaft playing to 45". This is a new shaft for this season and I'm a huge fan of it. It's lively but also low enough spin when combined with the head that I get a higher overall flight than my previous shaft (Aldila Rogue) but its still a very flat overall flight, which is ideal for my home course as its lots of uphill tee shots that just kinda hit and stop. However, given the typical wind at my home course, low spin is necessary so I don't get baloons. I also have what I'd consider a smooth swing through the ball, very little hit in my swing.

I prepped the MAD to be exactly the same as my Diamana, both playing finished at 45” with Lamkin UTX Midsize grips, logo down on the small “+”, both shafts playing between a D1 and D1.5 swing weight.

-------------------------

Looks

MAD - when I first opened the box the MAD came in, I immediately thought "Sexy Prolaunch Red", which isn't a bad thing. Matte graphics look killer and I'm a huge fan of a little action on the shaft graphics and this fits the bill, looks great in my G400 (see pic above). Shaft looks very badass, but you do lose some of the Graphite Design allure with it not having the AD style graphics, but I know its supposed to kind of be a departure from those shafts.

Diamana – this is the limited version of the shaft, so instead of light gray, its dark gray/black. Pretty basic.

Edge – MAD

“Wiggle” Test (initial feel)

MAD – out of the box, the MAD definitely feels more stout than the current gamer. Not unruly or anything, just didn’t feel as lively as the Diamana, which I would have used to love, but as my bones have stiffened up over the past few years, shafts like this are a lot more work for me to swing.

Diamana – livelier for sure, doesn’t feel too stout but also stiff enough to hold up to all I have to offer (which isn’t much, see Trackman Results below)

Edge – Diamana (but this is truly just a personal feel thing, if I brought it a few more MPH or maybe didn’t get the Pro version of the shaft, I could be singing a different tune).

Trackman Results

I’ll include photos of my 9-10 best hits with each club.

Just from the glance at the top picture, you can see (MAD – Blue, Diamana – Red) that overall my results for the two shafts was literally almost identical (104ish swing speed, 155.9 ball speed, 2610 spin, 264 carry, 290 total)

Overall – Trackman doesn’t really lie, between these two shafts I have literally almost no variance in performance. Only notable variance was my angle of attack between the two shafts, which the lower angle of attack (MAD) probably makes sense given the shaft probably plays a bit stiffer than the Diamana. Given this is solely about the numbers I’d say TIE (however, just note that my longest and shortest drives were with the MAD, I’ll talk about that in the overall).

Playing test / range time

The results that I saw on the Trackman were also very similar to what I saw on the course to be honest, almost literally no difference on well hit balls, but the more poorly hit balls were shorter with the MAD (probably due to them coming out much lower and carrying a shorter distance), however, this is where the feel starts to come into play. Given the stiffer profile of the MAD, I felt like every swing that resulted in a good outcome had to just be at 102% of what I've got if that makes sense. The shaft feels like it might be a quarter to a third too stiff for me in all honesty. I never saw an “ah ha” moment with either shaft over the other in all honesty. I nut each on the same hole, they’re within a couple yard depending on how soft the fairway is. I will say I struggled to really turn over the MAD shaft (so that’s good for you hookers out there), but for me, I enjoy hitting the babyish draw, so to feel like I’m borderline flipping my hands through the zone isn’t a favorite feeling of mine.

Overall – I’ll say tie, but if I had to pick one over the other, I’d lean Diamana just for ease of turning the club over.

Final verdict

Overall, between the two shafts, I think I’m going to have to give the overall nod to my current gamer, the Diamana S+. When you look at the two compared on the Trackman and on the course, there is literally no difference between the two on the numbers they produce for me. The deciding factor for me for probably sticking with the Diamana is simply that I prefer the feel of a more active through the zone shaft. This is in NO WAY saying anything negative about the MAD shaft, but I think the softer playing Diamana is just a better fit for my mortal swing speed. If you bring it more than I do, or struggle with the left side of the course, I think the MAD would be a fantastic shaft for you. As of right now I’ll still keep hitting them both on the range, but I think the weekend rounds will be with the Diamana until I tick up the SS a little bit.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions or comments regarding my review and I’ll be happy to answer them!

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

First let me say a very MAD thanks (couldn't resist) to WRX and Graphite Design for the opportunity to test their newest release.

2nd sorry to you all for a little slower review than the others here and I apologize for that!! Weather, coaching girls HS golf and finding the time to get the numbers accurate on a good simulator has been a little test as well.

That being said, I am almost finished with my testing and my final efforts will be this weekend on the course playing my gamer Sat & the MAD on Sunday same head for both. For me there is nothing better than on course testing under the actual playing conditions. I like to test things in actual round VS hitting balls range or simulator only.

Both days look to be the same weather wise and I'll be on the same course. Normally I would only hit the driver 4 times at this course, but I'll hit it on all 4's & 5's for the test.

A few notes on me,

My Current gamer TM TI 2017 M2 8.5 Kuro-Kage Dual core TS Proto 45"

Driver SS 107-110 depending on the back (53 YO)

Handicap .2

I've been involved in the game for the better part of 49 years. I've played at a higher level for the last 20. I've been a teaching Pro, GM of Golfsmiths and have been into club building and repair for over 23+ years.

I coach The local Girls HS team as well as running the local Juniors program for one of the local clubs. I run a business with my Brother and either Practice or play in some form or another every day weather permitting...MN can be tough for the weather stuff.

For reference I chose, based on GD specs, the Pro S flex tipped .5" 67 grams.

So that's my start to the review.

JC

06/18/2018

Ok guys, A week later than I wanted but not even a tumble off a ladder will stall my review...(only 2nd step but holy Crap ouch for a week)

So here are my numbers tested against my Kuro. All test based on 10 shots.

Spin - Kuro 2750 - Mad 3200

Club speed - Kuro 107 - Mad 105

Ave Smash Factor - Kuro 148 - Mad 148

Ball Speed - Kuro 155 - Mad 154

Launch Angle - Kuro 13.2 - Mad - 14.8

Carry - Kuro 271 - MAD - 268

Total Distance - Kuro 289 - MAD 281

For me the biggest tests are done on the course in actual playing conditions, but that's me.

Let me also say I have been a KK guy for the last 2 years so I may be a little bias, but I tried to make a fair comparison by playing the same course under similar conditions. I used B-stone Tour B-XS for ball reference on course & Simulator testing.

There is something to the Mad that reminded me of the older Ozik Code red 6 matted finish. There were a couple shots that I hit that just seemed to hang in the air and go forever. I would guess that you all have had that same thing happen and it's an awesome feeling. If I were to do this again I think I would tip the shaft 3/4" to stiffen the tip a little. I also have to tip the AD-DI 3/4" to feel correct.

Here are my hole by hole on Course testing...Pins were in same position.

The first hole is always a hit or miss & the days I tested were no different. I hit a little cut with the Kuro about 275 and a slice about 265 off the heal with the MAD. It was a bad swing but still part of the tests.

The 2nd hole was a Snap hook with the Mad, I jumped it a little, but intentional and a rocket down the middle with the Kuro.

3rd Hole was a long hanging straight shot with the MAD...I slowed down a little and it worked perfectly Kuro was a complete high toe shot about...LOL we all do it.

4th Hole, tough driving hole for me and I would normally hit a 3W. Both balls were smashed both had a little left to right cut and unfortunately both into the river :swoon:

5th, both hit well with little cuts, PW in with the Mad, Gap SW with Kuro

6th another long hanging shot with the MAD and baby cut with the Kuro. MAD was about 10 yards farther.

7th par 3 230, but no driver.

8th hard DL right... normally I hit an Iron but tried the over the over the trees shot and with any with luck get to the green...Lost both balls and even though they felt good no Idea on result.

9th Par 3

Backside

10th Hole 260 to water 275 to carry wind at back both days. Kuro just flew over, MAD middle of water. Seemed to spin more than I liked.

11th Hole blew the MAD into the water right and straight down the middle with the Kuro.

12th par 3

13th par 5 and a little wind into us...This is where I really noticed the balloon effect (for me) on the MAD. Both drives in the fairway though.

14th Par 5 as well. Water about 280 so I eased off and the MAD again was perfect, about 3 yards short of the water. Kuro was hit well, but into the water.

15th DL left so I tried to hit a high draw with the Both. The MAD ended up being a high miss right VS the Kuro which was perfect.

16th Hit both Very well, again easing off on the MAD about 280 each.

17th Par 3

18th Snap hook OB with the MAD and a little baby cut for the Kuro.

My initial thoughts are I had the wrong flex or wrong tipping, but it's always a little tough not to over-swing trying new things. Like any shaft, most amateurs have to learn how to hit them.We can't always afford a trackman session or plan on taking the time to hit 10 different shafts to find the best. I think I could get a proper fitting and find one that works, but I don't know that it's going to kick my KK out of the bag.

I like the looks of it and for the most part it felt good. It had a little too much spin for me and as a late release guy...That kills! I think that the shaft I was hitting would be great for the person swinging 95-100 on their driver. Any over I might recommend an XS or heavier weight. As you might also expect, any new shaft it not very comfortable to play with. You just don't not think about it and that spells disaster almost always.

Like a stated in the beginning, It was great to be able to do this and so again, a big thanks to the guys here & Bill McPherson @ Pro's Choice Golf Shafts!!

JC

Thanks to GD for making these shafts available for testing. I have finally gotten some rounds under my belt with the shaft and here are my findings:

First off let me start by saying I have a long history with GD. I knew a caddie on tour back in the day and used to get a bunch of clubs off of him. My first GD shaft was a YS-7 that was in a Porsche Design driver that belonged to Brad Faxon. I never honestly hit the YS-7 shaft great but I played a lot of their other shafts with great success. The YS-6 was a good one. I had a Callaway Hawk Eye pro that belonged to Charles Howell with a heavy blue shaft (I forget the name!), I played a Steelhead with a 9.1 forever, I played a 975J with a GAT 75, I played a Sonartec 3 wood with a Purple Ice 85 forever, I played an R7 with the YS Power 65 forever, I played TM hybrids with YS 85 Hybrid shafts, I played a Ping G10 with a Pershing 65 forever. I kind of moved on right about the time the DI series came out I just could not get that shaft to work for me ever.

I currently play to a 1.2 index which is skewed to the low side because I broke 70 twice last year. I played Division I college golf after playing baseball because an injury ended my baseball career. Currently not playing a ton due to family obligations etc but get out once or twice a month and try to hit balls weekly. Swingspeed is 108-110 mph, late release, I tend to hand back a touch and hit up on it a lot my AoA is +5*.

Tested the MAD Pro 65 X in my 2017 M1 (8.5*, standard setting, neutral weights, 45.5", D3). It has gone up against an Aldila 2KXV 65 Tour-X and a Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 X.

I apologize but I have been unable to get on Trackman because my coach is out trying to Monday Qualify for some Web.com events and can't get me on until the week after July 4th. I have been able to play 3 rounds with it though and have gotten a few range sessions in with it.

First, the looks, nice matte paint finish with the white and gray and red band. The Pro model has T1100 material in the tip. Lots of premium shafts are using this. Its supposed to tighten up the shaft compared to the standard model and I believe makes the shaft cost about $100 more at retail.

One thing I noticed was that the shaft has a very large but diameter, using a .600 core grip I get an oversized grip feel. Nothing major just worth noting. Feel wise the shaft feels right on for flex, not soft not rigid, right on. To me, the profile seems to have a stiff handle that extends down a bit longer into the mid of the shaft. Whereas in say a DI you can really feel the middle kicking the MAD feels a bit more stable. To me, the tip doesn't feel too rigid. This shaft TO ME has a lot of characteristics of say a Harmon CB (remember that one) or an Evenflow Black. feel is always great with any GD shaft no brittle feeling like say a HZRDUS Black.

The shaft definitely launches higher than both the Aldila or Fuji 6.3. My miss with tends to leak a little right. This shaft I do not turn over and miss left at all. If you are looking to try something anti-left I would give this a try. At the range I go to they have a tall net at the back of the right side. I've never flown a ball over it but can get close. With the MAD shaft I can get pretty close which tells me it is flying higher and carrying farther than the Fuji 6.3 and Aldila (although the Aldila is very very close).

I played the shaft 3x now at my home course. Usually a good barometer as I know where drives usually end up (been playing this course since 1984!) I did pop one on the 1oth hole to a spot I have never been. Hit a 5 iron into a par 5 that I usually never can reach. I did hit it once with a hybrid from about 220. I was 194 in. I smoked this one.

I really need to get on Trackman to complete my review. The numbers between the three are very close. I will play this shaft if the numbers prove to beat out the others, It's fine-tuning it at this point. I want to mess with the adapter settings and weights once on trackman because this shaft feels so damn good I want to play it.

If you are looking for classic GD feel and a bit of anti left give this shaft a whirl!

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023