2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

need to increase swing speed

HS Golf season just ended and I'm looking to increase my swing speed...and or bulk up on some muscle this summer... Does anyone have any ideas on ways to bulk up but lose alot of weight in the process?

i work about 5 days a week in the morning so i could do a workout plan at night

i just want to come back next year for varsity and just bomb the ball past everyone

and im not just looking to hit the ball far b/c its what everyone else does...im 5'5" and shorter than everyone and i think its about time i catch up to everyone over the summer :-P

thanks for advice guys...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Distance does not make you a better golfer. Your 5'5. How tall are your parents, and if you arent done growing dont worry about building muscle. If you are going to grow dont worry about working out. Weight doesnt have near as much of a factor as height does. Our number one guy on our teams weighs 145, but is 6'2" and he hits drives 300+. Do yourself a favor and work on your shortgame.

Distance does not make you a better golfer. Your 5'5. How tall are your parents, and if you arent done growing dont worry about building muscle. If you are going to grow dont worry about working out. Weight doesnt have near as much of a factor as height does. Our number one guy on our teams weighs 145, but is 6'2" and he hits drives 300+. Do yourself a favor and work on your shortgame.

To a point it actually does, otherwise no one on tour would be working out. There is a point where you dont really need that much more distance, but to actually compete nowadays in the junior leevls, unless you are an absolute freak and hit it perfect every timeit really helps to be hitting it at least 275 instead of 240. And have you ever seen Jason Zuback, hes 5'7 and one of the longest drivers ever, sergio, AK, Jonathan Byrd, Charles Warren are all under or around 5'10 and are seriously deep

To gain swing speed though, check out the TPI website and get a good workout plan, stretch alot, work the core the most, and get a heavy club, swing that 10 times, turn your driver upside down, swing it as hard as you can 10 times, and then turn it back over to normal and swing it 10 times, do that a couple times a day good drill IMO

To a point it actually does, otherwise no one on tour would be working out. There is a point where you dont really need that much more distance, but to actually compete nowadays in the junior leevls, unless you are an absolute freak and hit it perfect every timeit really helps to be hitting it at least 275 instead of 240. And have you ever seen Jason Zuback, hes 5'7 and one of the longest drivers ever, sergio, AK, Jonathan Byrd, Charles Warren are all under or around 5'10 and are seriously deep

To gain swing speed though, check out the TPI website and get a good workout plan, stretch alot, work the core the most, and get a heavy club, swing that 10 times, turn your driver upside down, swing it as hard as you can 10 times, and then turn it back over to normal and swing it 10 times, do that a couple times a day good drill IMO

Why?

well my moms shorter than me...and my dad is about 6 feet tall...i guess its in my genetics to be shot at the moment...my dad, grandfather, and great uncle both didnt grow till either end of high school or out of high school....

and yes i actually do work on my short game...its one of the things this summer im going to work on at least 2-3 days a week for a few hours a time....

thanks for the advice so far.... more opinions! :-P

Putting drills, putting drills, putting drills!!!

Work on flexibility, tempo & rhythm for both the power swing and the finesse swing.

Work on your core w/a medicine ball. U can also get a weighted club (or make one) to strengthen your swing muscles.

There's plenty of work out drills, stretches and exercises for both swings (power & finesse) on the internet. Google is your friend... :man_in_love:

Why?

Overspeed training, kinda like using a super light bat in baseball, elastic pulley in swimming or running downhill for a sprinter, makes you go faster then you would normally, since you only have to swing the shaft

Try Power Factor Training. It takes a lot less time than typical work outs, builds amazing strength and speed, and is the easiest work out on your joints. Be warned however. It might not take long to do this program, but it will tax your body like no other work out. I used this work out when I was in the Army. I always maxed my push ups and sit ups and helped keep my body fat down for weigh ins. You'll still want to do some cardio now and again however. It's a quick read and the basics of it will stick with your for life.

Honestly hitting the ball a like a complete beast is over rated if u dont have the short game to match. I hit the ball 300+ because im 6'5'' but i still have never won a tourney because my short game isnt where it needs to be. Do your self a favor and practice your short game and the distance will come later

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70x
Mizuno ST200 15* w/Accra TZ5 100x Prototype
Taylormade P790 2i w/Recoil 120x Prototype
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4i-5i w/DG X7
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6i-PW w/DG X7
Mizuno S18 50*/57* w/DG X100
Callaway MD5 64* w/DG S400
Kevin Burns Custom 9304

honestly, you don't need to lift to have a high swing speed. i'm 5' 5" 140 and have a 115 ss. it's all about knowing how to generate power. Being as loose and flexible as you can is very important. there are guys on my team that can bench 300 lbs(they also play football) that don't hit it within 20 yards of me because their swings don't generate power.

I increased my swing speed by understanding my swing. I just recently switched from using a wooden driver to the Cleveland HiBore XL with a stiff shaft and tipped stiff. I'm also going to agree with indy. I think it's the same principle as boxing. Loose and fast until you need the stiffness. My muscles tend to stay as loose as possible(except my forearms/hands because I have really sweaty hands) until about half a foot before impact. But that's just me. I'm not a long bomber by any means. My 7i goes about 145-150 and my driver goes 260 AT BEST. My 7i and down is where my game is at. Now if only I could hit my driver/wood/long irons straight.

As for bulking up/losing weight. Instead of eating 3 square meals a day, eat 5 little/medium ones. Make sure they're all over the food pyramid or whatever. That should help keep your metabolism moving throughout the day. For building muscle, search the terms "positive failure" and "muscle confusion". Just be sure to not overdo it, since lifting weights is basically tearing down your muscles. After your muscles tear up, they'll rebuild even stronger.

honestly, you don't need to lift to have a high swing speed. i'm 5' 5" 140 and have a 115 ss. it's all about knowing how to generate power. Being as loose and flexible as you can is very important. there are guys on my team that can bench 300 lbs(they also play football) that don't hit it within 20 yards of me because their swings don't generate power.

U lucky s.o.b....! I'm about your height, but weight 'bout 12 lbs. less and the best that I can muster up out of my ss is mid 80's, and I'd like to believe I'm ok in terms of flexibility!

Wow did that guy just say he switched from a wooden driver! Outstanding! The funniest thing I have read all day! Fantastic.

To the point- whether gaining swing speed and/or distance is the right thing to do or not, it is what you want to focus on so go for it. A kinetically effective golf swing will increase your power so make sure you are constantly working on your fundamentals. See your local PGA professional and tell him/her that you want to use your big muscles in your chest, back, and core in your golf swing to generate more power. Watch guys like JB Holmes, Fred Couples, Charles Warren, etc.. They all use thier upper body extremely effective and they are all smaller guys compared to tour monsters like Ernie, Retief, Tiger, etc..

As a junior I also teach the kids to learn how to hit it as far as they possibly can. I would rather tone and sharpen a long hitter than try to teach a guy to gain 20-30 yards after they have engrained their golf swing into muscle memory beyond repair. Good luck and smash it!

haha thanks, i've played hockey all my life. hockey definitely builds the muscles you need and also promotes a good impact angle.

Your SECRET is out!

Actually, thanx for chimin' in. I was wondering whether u were a gym/athletic freak or I was just your typically scrawny guy at the beach who gets sand kicked in the face all the time (like the old Atlas muscle program ads, ha, ha!)... yes, I admit it... it's probably the latter :clapping: !

well idk if i generate enough power...i already said im 5'5"....and now my average drives are like 250ish...my crushed ones can go from 260-270...idk what kinda of swing speed would ya assume i have? (j/w i have a set of titleists in STIFF iron shafts waitin to be used when i can swing fast enough)

well idk if i generate enough power...i already said im 5'5"....and now my average drives are like 250ish...my crushed ones can go from 260-270...idk what kinda of swing speed would ya assume i have? (j/w i have a set of titleists in STIFF iron shafts waitin to be used when i can swing fast enough)

5'5" & your average drives are in the 250's. I say that's really good! U wanna switch "swings"?... but seriously, we all want to get more distance out of our swings/drives, so I don't fault u for asking & trying to improve on it... but, don't wanna sound like a "nag", just make sure u spend as much time on your short game & putting, which could put u "over the top" in terms of scores against your team-mates (but u already know this).

aha sadly...during the hs golf season the hour or two extra i spent practicing putting and chippinng after playing put me WAY over hte top over everyone else

but yea, what everyone else said i am planning on doing a shortgame practice session this summer...and alfie im not really "chanign my swing"...ik just changedmy swing and got 10 more yards....i was just wonderin if liftin would really get me another 10 yards aha...

ss anyone?(whatcha say about mine)

and alfie im not really "chanign my swing"...ik just changedmy swing and got 10 more yards....i was just wonderin if liftin would really get me another 10 yards aha...

ss anyone?(whatcha say about mine)

I meant it that r u willing to trade your swing w/my swing :good: ... my pedestrian swing (at best, mid 80's) will make u wanna cry, so, what I was trying to say is that u should be very proud that u can generate that kind of distance & I do understand the want & need to increase it... Best of luck in your endevours!!! (also, good to hear your short game is TOP NOTCH in comparison to the rest of the team ;) !).

• 2 weeks later...

Getting strong and fast is a great idea, but do not overload your body too much when you are still growing and be very careful about attempting to bulk up and lose weight at the same time. It is possible but expert advice and great care is needed. Us oldies take natural supplements to promote muscle growth and muscle repair, but again I would not give out general advice to youngsters in forums about this. Plan everything carefully and professionally as what you put in as a youngster sets you up for life.

To improve driving distance through altering your body's capacities is extremely hard work, and takes years. Most of the world's longest drivers do not use all of their existing physical attributes fully and in unison. Most have readily accessible additional length by changing their swing without resorting to additional exercise and supplements. Possibly less than one per cent of golfers swing really well. Swing speed can often be instantly significantly increased by for example (a) a bigger swing, (b) a wider swing, © a late fast hand release, (d) a more suitable shaft, (e) reducing the current ridiculous sail like 460cc driver heads down to 360cc. Try the old type Callaway ERC Fusion driver heads. They move through the air like a knife through butter, and hit the ball a mile. Edwinwattsgolf.com have fourteen of those heads in stock at eight degrees and have knocked $300. off the price. It is arguably the longest hitting head in the world but virtually no-one (except me) uses it as today's golfers like the option of missing the centre of the driver's head by 1.50". Ridiculous!

In order to re-build one's game one often needs to come close to destroying a lot of what one presently does and the success which it generates. The initial massive deterioration in one's game through change is more than most amateur golfers can handle, so instead they hang on to what they have and take it to the gym. Re-think everything you do and particularly also the false brainwashing information which golf equipment manufacturers and others put out. Build up from basics by testing everything yourself.

Big success hinges on massive sacrifice, and for a while putting one's ego aside.

I agree to get better the short game is #1.

However if you want to gain strength in the swing. GO old school. Grab a broom (sweeping kind) and swing that for 10-15 minutes a day. The broom acts as a normal wind resistant, and when you get to waist high and the broom is in the correct postition has little resistance. So the most resistance is through the hitting area. I bet you will add SS with a month of practice with a broom. NO need to buy expensive training adds. Go out to the garage and grab a broom.

Mrs. Viper and yours truly engage in a number of sports and I have to confess at being miffed over the fact that she can consistently outdrive me! But, thanks to you guys, I now know why.

But, I’m determined to give her a good thrashing on our next Dover to Calais swim. From here on in I am going to bag all of the household dish washing duties.

Thanks again guys. Any more great tips?

the Viper

learn to swing with the big muscles. use your legs properly for good spine angle and clear the hips. also do some stretching and definately have some sort of work out routine cause it does help. i think for someone 5'5 averaging 250 is pretty impressive. im 5'9 145 and my ss is 117-120 but i worked hard to get it to that level (used to be a total weed). if all else fails get a longer driver!!!!:)