Dick around round with vintage clubs

Dr RangeloveDr Rangelove 1-putt-wonderClubWRX Posts: 790 ClubWRX
I went and played Monday with a neighbor and his 11 year old son. Since it wasn't going to be a stellar round, playing with a kid, my neighbor that golfs once a year, and on a holiday packed course guaranteeing a sloooow round, I packed up a vintage set of Wilson Goose Necks. I'm not sure when they're from, maybe the '40's? Anyways, although losing about 40 yards per club over my Adams MB2's with PXI shafts, I actually played really well and ended up 2 over for 9 holes due to a last hole double.

The thing I really liked about the clubs were the grips, they have a flat spot where the palm rests, kind of a predecessor to todays reminder grips but I found this style more consistent. Honestly, I was practically throwing darts on many shots. My question, if anybody knows, does anybody still make a grip like that?

Comments

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,924 ✭✭
    I'm pretty certain it's non-conforming to the Rules for Tournament play.

Don;t believe I had seen this type of grip for replacement . Was that leather wrap on the grip ? If so, the underlisting was formed in that shape then the leather strip was wrapped on .
  • Dr RangeloveDr Rangelove 1-putt-wonder ClubWRX Posts: 790 ClubWRX
    While I haven't looked up the rules specifically, I did read this when searching for an answer:

putters are an exception. Other clubs must be generally circular

in cross-section, but putters may have a flat spot. See Appendix II of

The Rules of Golf, specifically Item 3. Grip.

Drag, I really thought I was onto something.
  • COL_BCOL_B BryanMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I learned to play on my mom's old Wilson Mickey Wright irons from the early 60s, and they had that flat spot on the grip.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9*; PX Hzrdus Yellow 6.0 63g
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15* (-1); PX Hzrdus Yellow 76g 6.0
    Srixon U65 18* Stiff (stock shaft)
    Titleist T-MB 4 Iron
    Titleist Tour Model 5-PW; Dynamic S
    Titleist SM6 GW 50-12 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 SW 54-10
    Titleist SM6 LW 58-12 K Grind
    Odyssey 7S
    Titleist ProV1x
  • bigfatantbigfatant Members Posts: 118
    I bought an old ex Pro set of irons and although the grips were standard, they wore down the two spot where you would normally place your thumbs. Could you make it flat-ish that way?
    Do you really want to know WITB? Oh ok (talk about peer pressure!)
    My favourite clubs I use sometimes (A$480 total):
    Srixon Z745 10.5degree driver Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $100
    Srixon F45 15 degree fairway wood Stiff flex $150
    Srixon H45 18 degree 3 hybrid Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $75
    Srixon i302 3 - SW RIfle 5.0 Shafts $135
    Bridgestown 60 degree lob wedge $20
    Odyssey Two ball Fang (Gift)
  • AtraynAtrayn ClubWRX Posts: 2,053 ✭✭

I went and played Monday with a neighbor and his 11 year old son. Since it wasn't going to be a stellar round, playing with a kid, my neighbor that golfs once a year, and on a holiday packed course guaranteeing a sloooow round, I packed up a vintage set of Wilson Goose Necks. I'm not sure when they're from, maybe the '40's? Anyways, although losing about 40 yards per club over my Adams MB2's with PXI shafts, I actually played really well and ended up 2 over for 9 holes due to a last hole double.

The thing I really liked about the clubs were the grips, they have a flat spot where the palm rests, kind of a predecessor to todays reminder grips but I found this style more consistent. Honestly, I was practically throwing darts on many shots. My question, if anybody knows, does anybody still make a grip like that?

https://www.grips4le...nder-golf-grips
    "Someday, it may even be possible to construct some kind of machine
    that will swing a golf club as well as it can possibly be done." "That is probably as close to
    the perfect swing as it would be possible for human beings to get." Ben Hogan 1965 SI

2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
    2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
    2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
    2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
    2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ KBS tour S
    2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
    Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter
  • TinCuppingTinCupping Members Posts: 855 ✭✭
    Kind of like wearing metal spikes on the course or carrying 15 clubs. They gotta catch you before its illegal image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Ping G400 9.0 Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3W Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3H Tour 85X
    Ping G400 4-UW AWT 2.0X
    Ping Eye 2 Gorge S,L DG Spinner
    Ping 50th Anniversary Anser
    Titleist Pro V1
  • USGA22USGA22 Members Posts: 191 ✭✭
    I'm still laughing at the title of the thread.
  • skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,549 ClubWRX

Yes, that type of grip was common even into the 60's but they were ruled non-conforming sometime in the 70's I believe. My first real set of irons, 1967 Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge, had that type of leather grip on them.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,448 ✭✭
    USGA22 wrote:

The Op's name is Dick.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • USGA22USGA22 Members Posts: 191 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

USGA22 wrote:

The Op's name is Dick.

Thanks for the update; doesn’t diminish the humor.
  • naval2006naval2006 ArgentinaMembers Posts: 971 ✭✭
    TinCupping wrote:

Kind of like wearing metal spikes on the course or carrying 15 clubs. They gotta catch you before its illegal image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Op, you’re DQ for illegal grips plus finishing the round with 15 clubs lol
  • Dr RangeloveDr Rangelove 1-putt-wonder ClubWRX Posts: 790 ClubWRX
    naval2006 wrote:

TinCupping wrote:

Op, you’re DQ for illegal grips plus finishing the round with 15 clubs lol

Ha, I didn't post!