Golfdigest “Whats Wrong with your bag”.... whaaaat!?

Reading an article on Golfdigest today about “what’s wrong with your bag”... like missing rain gear, or too many bag tags...but then this:

“Clubs that are older than 5 years

We’ve heard it before: "These clubs are fine for me. The new stuff isn’t really all that much better." If your clubs are more than five years old that is wrong and wrong, especially if you haven’t been fit. But don’t trust us. Go to one of your buddies who either recently got fit or bought a new driver after not having splurged since the first Obama administration. See what kind of improvement they’ve seen and you’ll be headed for the nearest pro shop or Golf Galaxy with credit card in hand”

What is wrong with this guy? Most of the clubs that I enjoy playing are way over 5 years. Some Hickory for that matter. This guy is completely missing the point of the great game of golf. Sad that a top magazine would publish an article with such a non-sense, close-minded statement.

And don’t get me going on “must have 14 clubs”.... I’ve been hitting some of my best round with 8-9 clubs!

So long Golfdigest... I will not be reading that magazine anytime soon!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think that all golfing media sole reason for existing is to shift merchandise, in one way or another? Even on here 'How Classic is the Ping Anser 2 ?' pops up periodically to give Ping a shout. Everybody ignores it, it is what it is.

Thing is, there's a lot of good stuff and you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so you have to learn to live with the 'Material aimed at Muppets' Everybody has to pay the rent!.

That guff is annoying for those of us who are either too stubborn or knowledgeable to give it credence - but it's lethal for newcomers to the game who don't know any better. If anything >5 years old is supposedly hurting your enjoyment of the game, what chance does anyone have with budget clubs? It also implies that if you're not splurging the cash, then you deserve to have a miserable time on the course. I absolutely despise that attitude.

And then we'll be treated to some hand-wringing BS about how the game is in decline. It's no wonder, if that's how the game is being portrayed. These people are culpable.

Dont take me wrong, of course I enjoy playing new clubs, just like I would enjoy a brand new car with all the bells and whistles... but I still remember the feeling of my first lucky find at Goodwill, or my first round with my ultimate favorite Slazenger Crown Sterlings irons, or the first time I heard the sound of a Persimmon driver hitting a ball and soaring down the fairway. My brand new Srixon 3 Utility club with graphite shaft was also fantastic off the tee in a long par 3 with wind in the front. They are all just tools, and they all equally let us enjoy this great game. Sad that the industry has to push their agenda in such a subtle way and put those nonsense ideas in peoples heads, specially newcomers... all to satisfy their investors’ pockets and to see their profits continue to go up and up.

The clubs in my bag never see more than 9 holes. I carry a spare set, still in the shrink wrap, and swap them out at the turn. I also change into brand new shoes, new pants, belt, shirt, socks & underwear. (All Under Armor, of course...) It gets to be kind of a drag to break in a new ball on every hole. The old ones go in the lake. Good thing the course has fur lined waste baskets for my trail of debris. Don't even get me started on the bag and the cart. I think the whole "golf is too expensive" thing is just a myth.

:to_become_senile:

Unbiased article brought to you by...

TaylorMade

Ping

Titleist

Callaway

Mizuno

Cobra...

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Another gem from the article: "If you don’t have a rangefinder or golf course GPS app, do the rest of us a favor and get one. Now. All you’re doing by guessing at distances, pacing off yardages or looking for that 150 marker is holding up the rest of us and hurting your game. Don’t worry if your GPS watch is off by a fraction of a yard. You’re not that good to be dialing in your distances to that degree."

If that's the case, that "you are not good enough to be dialing in your distances to that degree", then why do I need a range finder at all ??!? Self contradictory paragraph, imo. My copies of GD (gift subscription) never leave the shrink wrap and are given to my playing partners in a feeble attempt to gain a competitive advantage, hoping their brains will be muddled from all of the contradictory advice.

:to_become_senile:

Unbiased article brought to you by...

TaylorMade

Ping

Titleist

Callaway

Mizuno

Cobra...

Dead on it 110% that was exactly what I was thinking then I read your post----- Like my wife says "All great minds think alike".

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Don't you think that all golfing media sole reason for existing is to shift merchandise, in one way or another? Even on here 'How Classic is the Ping Anser 2 ?' pops up periodically to give Ping a shout. Everybody ignores it, it is what it is.

Thing is, there's a lot of good stuff and you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so you have to learn to live with the 'Material aimed at Muppets' Everybody has to pay the rent!.

Like I said on another post let the author come down here and play me with my old stuff--- And if that ain't enough for him I will let him jump on some of the old farts in their 70s at a neighboring course. Those old coots shoot in the 70s constantly from the senior tees. They mostly play Eye 2s and a mix of TM Quad drivers and V-Steels. Even though I am 60 they make me play from the mid tees and they are hard for me to beat. Of course they do not play for very high stakes $1 team match $1 Individual Nassau and .25 birdies. Lots of fun to play with and good players too. I know that crowd of old farts at my home course will not mess with them

Folks used to trade for a new car every year too. Not too many people do that now days.

Not I,

The automobile is a huge landfill object.

One of my vehicle will hit 200 K miles, On the roadway everyday. It's better to pay a few thousands per year to keep it running than leave a perfectly good service vehicle to landfill and dunk 20% on a new car by driving it off the dealer's parking lot.

We will look into the electric powered vehicle in the near future but nothing is good enough to take home. Maybe the new Nissan Leaf is getting closer, but needs a new type of battery other than what's available today.

I keep going back to the golf clubs that's more than 20 years old, although I did re-shaft a few sets. The latest golf club in my bag is also not making the 5 year cut according to Mr. know-it-all. But the driver did make enough difference for me to get an up-grade.

Not worth $500 to get another 6-8 yards off the tee.

Thinking through the bag logically:

1. Putter - Not really a matter of technology making me make more putts, so no incentive to upgrade there
  2. Sand Wedge - Same basic design everywhere
  3. Irons - I play forged, so that's just a matter of preference. Cavity-backs = everyone copying everyone else, so...
  4. Fairway Woods - I prefer persimmon, haven't really noticed much difference with modern equipment
  5. Drivers - Modern drivers are slice machines for me, and they cost too darn much.
  6. Shafts - here I could argue that technology might help, but at what cost?
  7. Grips - Rubber, oversize for me.
  8. Ball - Same as #6
  9. Shoes - I do like modern shoes
  10. Hat - trucker style for me
  11. Bag - Same as #6

So thinking through my bag, and having owned several sets of modern clubs, I just don't see the benefit to the cost of upgrading in terms of real world experience. It might make a difference to the pros, but not to me. Plus, it's just not as much fun to hear "tink" when I tee off as it is to hear "thwak!". Or to hit that special 3 wood (actual wood) approach shot and be just off the green in regulation. It's a visceral thing, and I can't do that with modern clubs no matter how hard I try.

I found the over all tone of the article arrogant and belittling to those of us who play vintage and hickory. Sure, we often look for a better club or like to try something different, but playing with "old" equipment doesn't make us "wrong" anymore than those who like to play the latest and allegedly greatest are wrong. For me, I've just been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and have finally come to the realization of what I like and why. That's all.

One last thing: If wizz-bang equipment really mattered, wouldn't we see handicaps going down on a consistent basis, courses getting longer out of necessity, more below par rounds, and more enjoyment by the general public? I know some of this happens, but not around here. I rotate play on several courses, and not one of them has ever been redesigned due to the equipment. And no one I have talked to who does play wizz-bang stuff seems any better. Just saying...

Gave up on Golf Digest many, many years ago, because one issue had something to offer in the instructional section and the very next issue had something totally different for the same instruction, which contradicted the previous offering. This was the norm for the time I subscribed. The rest of the magazine was all ad's and pictures of places to play, that only I could afford if I won the lottery. If there were issues relating to the general golfing (muni players), there were not many that even come to mind. I'm actually surprised that it's still being published, with all the current media availability.

Folks used to trade for a new car every year too. Not too many people do that now days.

Not I,

One of my vehicle will hit 200 K miles, On the roadway everyday. It's better to pay a few thousands per year to keep it running than leave a perfectly good service vehicle to landfill and dunk 20% on a new car by driving it off the dealer's parking lot.

We will look into the electric powered vehicle in the near future but nothing is good enough to take home. Maybe the new Nissan Leaf is getting closer, but needs a new type of battery other than what's available today.

I keep going back to the golf clubs that's more than 20 years old, although I did re-shaft a few sets. The latest golf club in my bag is also not making the 5 year cut according to Mr. know-it-all. But the driver did make enough difference for me to get an up-grade.

The automobile is not such a huge wasted landfill object any more--- I work for a metal recycling company and 90% of all cars are recycled- The shredder grinds up the cars and all the stuff is seperated. The only pieces that are not recycled per say is the plastics and the seat foam padding. Even tires are ground up and recycled. Some is made into mulch and believe it or not some are made into new rubber. The floor mats on EZ-GO and Club Cars are made of entirely recycled rubber. A friend of mine owned two plants that did the mats for those companies. Most of the cars you see around here in junkyards still have valuable parts but if the parts do not move in a certain time frame then the car is hauled to the shredder. I know one yard shreds 600 cars a month. Another one South of us has his own shredder and does around 1500 a month

One last thing: If wizz-bang equipment really mattered, wouldn't we see handicaps going down on a consistent basis, courses getting longer out of necessity, more below par rounds, and more enjoyment by the general public? I know some of this happens, but not around here. I rotate play on several courses, and not one of them has ever been redesigned due to the equipment. And no one I have talked to who does play wizz-bang stuff seems any better. Just saying...

Snowflake: I bought the new TaylorMade-Titleist-Callaway-Ping Smack-O-Matic Driver and Woods and a matching set of Sonic Hedgehog SuperLux Irons and they are the best thing ever!

Me: Then why am I beating you with 35 year old equipment?

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 1 month later...

Jack Nicklaus' 3 wood.

That is all I have to say..

Other than this....

A pox on this man, and his kind, and his dark paymasters, with hearts black as night. Daily they scheme and plan, sucking the blood from the beautiful game, driving the stout-hearted servants of her nuance to the fodder trough with only their pocketbook in mind. Countless thousands think themselves too poor to serve our Lady of golf because of these foul monsters. Drive them out! Drive them before us in shame as they see the light. Let them be stripped of their finery and lies. Let them be judged through the lens of time and then cast out into the wilderness. A feast for crows and vultures, a vile thing to be forgotten and discarded.

Reading an article on Golfdigest today about “what’s wrong with your bag”... like missing rain gear, or too many bag tags...but then this:

“Clubs that are older than 5 years

We’ve heard it before: "These clubs are fine for me. The new stuff isn’t really all that much better." If your clubs are more than five years old that is wrong and wrong, especially if you haven’t been fit. But don’t trust us. Go to one of your buddies who either recently got fit or bought a new driver after not having splurged since the first Obama administration. See what kind of improvement they’ve seen and you’ll be headed for the nearest pro shop or Golf Galaxy with credit card in hand”

What is wrong with this guy? Most of the clubs that I enjoy playing are way over 5 years. Some Hickory for that matter. This guy is completely missing the point of the great game of golf. Sad that a top magazine would publish an article with such a non-sense, close-minded statement.

And don’t get me going on “must have 14 clubs”.... I’ve been hitting some of my best round with 8-9 clubs!

So long Golfdigest... I will not be reading that magazine anytime soon!

Young golfers today will take it like a chapter in bible.

Why not ? Especially their parent will spring for whatever they want.

Get rid of your favorite golf club in the bag ? Just when you start to feel like an old friend with it ?

You should make note of whomever wrote this article and label him/her as an irresponsible journalist; making a splash without shouldering responsibility. But I guess it's trending.

Not I,

The automobile is not such a huge wasted landfill object any more--- I work for a metal recycling company and 90% of all cars are recycled- The shredder grinds up the cars and all the stuff is seperated. The only pieces that are not recycled per say is the plastics and the seat foam padding. Even tires are ground up and recycled. Some is made into mulch and believe it or not some are made into new rubber. The floor mats on EZ-GO and Club Cars are made of entirely recycled rubber. A friend of mine owned two plants that did the mats for those companies. Most of the cars you see around here in junkyards still have valuable parts but if the parts do not move in a certain time frame then the car is hauled to the shredder. I know one yard shreds 600 cars a month. Another one South of us has his own shredder and does around 1500 a month

Understand the possibility of "recycle" material. Are you aware of the percentage of recycle an automobile ? Especially the energy going into recycling ?

Even the most obvious and the easiest material on an automobile , "steel" take a lot of energy to make it useful again. It is not eco-friendly whenever we consume anything. All I could do on my part is to minimize the impact to the environment from what I consume. BTW, I'll be attacked by many if I mentioned raising live stock to feed our need is one of the worst pollution to our environment. There are debates for this article and fact sheets and counter fact sheets...........

Again, automobile is a huge industry in this country. We were groomed to believe we need a new vehicle every 3-5 years, which is not true. Then they made the available parts for maintaining the vehicle mandated to be on the shelve for only 10 years. In a way they're already forcing the consumer to change out their vehicle when the parts to the vehicle are no longer available.

Everytime I see the Cuban's still running the Detroit cars from the 40's and the 50's I shook my head. Of course it's not the most energy efficient models but one could fit a horse under the hood without all the "stuff" that came later to make the vehicle to run faster and cleaner.

I'm waiting for an alternatively sourced energy for the transportation for I don't believe the current battery power for automobile is the solution. The battery disposal will be even more toxic than all the fuel the vehicle will burn in it's lifetime.

Played with a chum yesterday,his bag contains a random selection of clubs that look amazing,some old Pings mixed in with some old Callaways,a Spalding putter that he bought on holiday in the US umpteen years ago for $1.......yes,$1,the newest club is an ex-demo G10 iron with orange graphite shaft,no practice swings,just steps up to the ball with a slightly closed stance and hits it down the middle.

His official handicap is 20,in matchplay when receiving strokes he's deadly as evidenced yesterday when he and his partner gave me and my partner a right stuffing,front nine,back nine and closed out 4&3 winners.

I'd love to introduce the journo that wrote the piece to my pal Les for some good old Yorkshire wisdom!

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at a Golf magazine or Golf Digest they are about 70% advertisement. And if you look at the ads themselves and “what to wear articles†you would think only millionaires played the game. I realize they have to sell ads and help push their sponsors but the magazines are so far off from the average golfers it ridiculous. The golf channel is no better either. Technology, swing tips and titt!e$ is their broadcast formula.

I catch some flack from time to time over the Mac VIP blades----- I just simply tell them a fellow named Mr Nicklaus won 18 majors with them and finished runner up 19 times in majors with them. I also tell them if they were good enough for him they are certainly good enough for me--- Shuts them up every time---- I will further add if Macgregor clubs were good enough for some fellows named Hogan, Armour and Penna then they are good enough for me too.