Anyone else use their bag brand as a tiebreaker for new club purchases?

bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
edited May 31, 2018 in Equipment #1
I have thought about buying a neutral golf bag like sun mountain but I would rather spend money on new clubs. The problem is that I own a Callaway branded bag...so now at least one club has to be a Callaway (My OCD cannot justify the bag any other way) or I would have to get a new bag. So I used this as a tiebreaker in fairway woods this year and went with the Rogue woods. Anyone else do that? I thought it might belong in the you know you are a WRX'er as I am guessing I'm not alone. My bag now has Rogue woods, Titleist irons and wedges, and Odyssey/Taylormade putter but I still cannot break 90...it has to be the arrows though I'm fairly certain. Well actually maybe it IS THE BAG....

PING G400 Max 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6X
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W, Oban Devotion 7x
Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Smoke 80g 6.5
Ping I210 4-PW, DG 120 S300
Ping Glide Stealth, 50ss, 54ss, 58ss, AWT Wedge Flex
Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Moto, 33"

Comments

• gdb99gdb99 Members Posts: 1,602 ✭✭
    I have a Sun Mountain bag, and broke 70 last week in Myrtle Beach.

It has to be the bag!!
    Cobra King LTD, Black Tie Regular flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular
    Mizuno MP-4's
    Vokey SM7 54M
    Odyssey #2
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,951 ✭✭
    I have several bags to hold all my clubs at home. Mostly Ping bags with Ping clubs but I do have one

Titleist bag full of Ping Clubs. The Ping clubs look so uncomfortable in there. I may have ruined them.
  • bullie76bullie76 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    bkirkley09 wrote:

I have thought about buying a neutral golf bag like sun mountain but I would rather spend money on new clubs. The problem is that I own a Callaway branded bag...so now at least one club has to be a Callaway

Say what?
    My senior bag.......
    Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
    Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
    Ping Craz-E putter
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 389 ✭✭
    No.

I do have a Wilson Staff bag and play Staff irons, but that's just because the bag was clearance and I liked the layout and colour.

I could easily play a Tmag or Titleist bag instead and I have nothing from those brands these days since I switched balls.
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭
    edited Jun 1, 2018 #6
    I have a bettinardi stand bag so luckily they only make putters and wedges. Although if I wanted to, I could probably find a betti putter that costs as much as the rest of my bag.

Bag brand shouldn't influence club purchases though IMO.
  • bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members Posts: 357 ✭✭

I have a bettinardi stand bag so luckily they only make putters and wedges. Although if I wanted to, I could probably find a betti putter that costs as much as the rest of my bag.

Bag brand shouldn't influence club purchases though IMO.

Well I could not agree more. I was using as a tiebreaker. The minute differences between some clubs on a track man is just as irrational at times in my opinion. Lol.

PING G400 Max 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6X
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W, Oban Devotion 7x
    Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Smoke 80g 6.5
    Ping I210 4-PW, DG 120 S300
    Ping Glide Stealth, 50ss, 54ss, 58ss, AWT Wedge Flex
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Moto, 33"

• KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,725 ✭✭
    bullie76 wrote:

bkirkley09 wrote:

I have thought about buying a neutral golf bag like sun mountain but I would rather spend money on new clubs. The problem is that I own a Callaway branded bag...so now at least one club has to be a Callaway

Say what?

2000+ posts, and you still don't understand the mind of the WRXer? Shame.

OP -- This is, in part, one reason I got a Sun Mountain bag. (I wanted a waterproof bag, first and foremost.)

I had a Cleveland-branded bag when I was younger. That was fine when I had a Cleveland driver. But when that left the bag, the huge "Cleveland" on the side REALLY didn't make sense to me. Even a Titleist bag would have made more sense, since I was playing Pro-Vs at the time. But now I'm a TM ball guy, so...

The neutral bag will set you free.
  • tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 427 ✭✭
    Oh no, don't start planting that seed. People around here will start buying a new bag every other month.
    Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 50° SS
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56°, 60° SS
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Did feel kind of silly carrying my Callaway bag before I got the md2 wedges I’m using. They’re gonna be out soon for my back up set of wedges, so at least I have that xr16 in there now
    Ping Anser 9.5* Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Cobra T-Rail 19* 3H Aldila Tour Green ATX75x
    Ben Hogan PTx 22*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
    Ping Glide Forged 50* DG TI S400 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ping!)
    TM TP ATV 54* KBS Tour-V Wedge
    Vokey SM5 58* DG Wedge
    Ping iWi Anser
  • jimsmithleedsjimsmithleeds Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Great thread. My bag rules are that the brand either has to be neutral, or match the irons. I've gone for a Sun Mountain H2NO Lite, great bag and meets of the needs of my reguar iron swapping.

The Titleist irons in the Callaway bag cannot be remedied by the addition of Callaway woods, it will need to go, and is clearly the cause of any bad play and bad scoring LOL. My golfing partner has a set of Apex in the Titleist bag; it makes me feel ill just thinking about it.....
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZU65 5 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/font]
  • kiwihackerkiwihacker Posts: 653 ✭✭
    I have an even bigger dilemma. It just doesn't seem right if the bag doesn't match the push cart. So I have a matching Sun Mountain bag and cart. Trouble is I just bought a Motocaddy electric cart and the Sun Mountain bag on there just doesn't look right. So I've ordered a Motocaddy bag. Thank goodness it's neutral in terms of clubs. However I have a Callaway carry bag meaning I have to carry my Callaway MD 58° wedge. Even though my 56° Cleveland wedge suits my game better a Callaway bag with no Callaway clubs in there would just be a recipe for disaster.
    Cobra King F6 Driver 10.5°
    17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
    20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
    Taylormade R7 TP 5-PW irons
    Cleveland RTX 2 5O°, 54°, Callaway MD Forged 58°
    Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,841 ClubWRX
    Nope...have multiple bags as it is...doesn't play a factor.
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭
    nike bag, callaway irons, TM balls....whatever works and looks nice.
    Long Live Nike
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Nike bag and I've never owned a single Nike club in my entire life.
    Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Ping Rapture 14*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Adams Pro DHy 18*, Aldila RIP 85X
    Adams Red 20*, Aldila RIP 85X
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #1
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 4,969 ✭✭
    Sadly I get the OP's point. I use a Sun Mountain bag so I don't have the issue, but I won't wear a hat for equipment I don't play.
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭
    bkirkley09 wrote:

I have thought about buying a neutral golf bag like sun mountain but I would rather spend money on new clubs. The problem is that I own a Callaway branded bag...so now at least one club has to be a Callaway (My OCD cannot justify the bag any other way) or I would have to get a new bag. So I used this as a tiebreaker in fairway woods this year and went with the Rogue woods. Anyone else do that? I thought it might belong in the you know you are a WRX'er as I am guessing I'm not alone. My bag now has Rogue woods, Titleist irons and wedges, and Odyssey/Taylormade putter but I still cannot break 90...it has to be the arrows though I'm fairly certain. Well actually maybe it IS THE BAG....

Get rid of your Titleist irons, wedges, and Taylormade putter and replace them with Callaways you'll be a scratch golfer instantly.
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • geesecougar2geesecougar2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭
    I won't own a branded bag that I don't own a club for. I just got last year's TM Masters stand bag that I've lusted after forever, and thankfully I am a TM wood loyalist. But woods are the only TM clubs I like, and if I ever changed my wood brands I'd def have to change the bag.
    M1 8.5 Fuji 757 Evo X
    SLDR 15 Axivcore Tour Green X
    Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
    S55 4-PW X100 TI
    Vokey SM4 52 X100 TI
    Vokey TVD 56/60 S400
    White Hot RX #7 / Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2018 #19
    Always had Nike bags. Never any nike clubs. Now I have a callaway bag. Only have one Callaway club.
    Titleist 910d3 8.5
    Titleist 917f2 15.75
    Adams Pro Mini 20,23
    Bridgestone j36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland rtx3 50,54,58
    Ping Sigma G Darby
    2018 players 5 stand bag
    Srixon z star 
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,511 ✭✭
    I’m all about OCD but I consider the Hoofer the standard by which all others are measured. Others have certainly caught up over the years but to me a PING Hoofer is still considered “neutral” in my mind... And in my mind that’s saying a lot. LOL
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS TOUR Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Srixon Z965 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D Nippon N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 125 S
    Odyssey Milled Collection RSX V-Line Fang
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • kiwihackerkiwihacker Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

I’m all about OCD but I consider the Hoofer the standard by which all others are measured. Others have certainly caught up over the years but to me a PING Hoofer is still considered “neutral” in my mind... And in my mind that’s saying a lot. LOL

Not a Ping club in sight in The Hoofer!
    Cobra King F6 Driver 10.5°
    17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
    20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
    Taylormade R7 TP 5-PW irons
    Cleveland RTX 2 5O°, 54°, Callaway MD Forged 58°
    Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter
  • mbarnockimbarnocki Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I have a Titleist bag, had matching 913 woods and headcovers till this year. I switched driver to a Ping G400 and the headcover is orange and did not match with the bag so I use a black bear headvocer my wife got me a while back instead. But I still have the 3 wood and 3 vokeys so the titleist bag can stick around, but I think I agree. If those get replaced I might need a new one.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 Diamna D+ 60X
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 Beta 16.5 Fujikura Pro 65S
    Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 20 Hybrid Recoil 780 S
    Nike VR Pro 4 Hybrid PX 6.0
    Titelist 718 Ap2 5-9 PX LZ 5.5
    Vokey 46, 50, 54, 60 PX LX 6.0(46, and 50), KBS Tour V X, S200
    Cleveland Huntington Beach Number 1 35"
    Vice Pro Plus
  • LijkaLijka Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Tiebreaker? Haha, no sir. More like bag brand is the mafia watching you from across the street waiting to collect their money or bust in and cap for you for thinking you can go to the police.
    2016 M1 w/ Tour Blue 65g
    Epic 3 Wood w/ Tour Green 75g
    915H 18* w/ hM3
    S56 3-P w/ AMT S300
    CG14 50* & 58* w/ DG Wedge
    Ping Anser 33"
  • BDoubleGBDoubleG Hamilton, Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,331 ✭✭
    I 100% get OP's issue. I currently have a Titleist bag (4UP) - I liked everything about it. Fortunately, it's the one brand I think will be safe in my bag for a long while, at least in some capacity - the 3 wood and putter are here to stay.
    Titleist TS3 9.5 | PX HZRDUS Handcrafted Yellow 75
    Callaway XR Deep 14 | UST Elements Chrome 8F4T
    Srixon Z U65 3 | Mitsubishi OT 105x
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi Cut Muscle 4 | TT DG S400 Tour Issue
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P | TT DG S400 Tour Issue
    Vokey SM6 50.08F | TT DG S300
    Vokey SM6 54.10S | TT DG S300
    Callaway PM Grind 19 60.12 | TT DG S300
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No.3 350g
  • Sun Mountain all the way
  • jimg22jimg22 ClubWRX Posts: 11 ClubWRX
    Bingo have Sun Mountain so I don't have to be brand loyal..... image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' />
    Taylor Made M4 10.5 Aldila Tour Red or Graphite Design AD 6 or ?? plug and play often :)
    Taylor Made M3 HL 3wd Aldila Tour Red
    Taylor Made M2 5 wd stock shaft
    Taylor Made M1 3H Matrix or Aldila Tour Red Hybrid
    Taylor Made M1 w/ UST Recoil 780 F4 5-PW
    Cleveland 52 RTX 3
    Cleveland 56 RTX 3
    Cleveland 60 RTX 4
    Scotty / Bettinardi putter
  • ByeBye Posts: 1,307 ✭✭
    bkirkley09 wrote:

I’m glad I’m not the only one. It just looks wrong to me to have a bag that doesn’t match the clubs. I hate my Titleist bag, but it matches most of my clubs. I have a Taylormade bag in my garage that is much better but it doesn’t match my M1 head cover.

I like your style, keep working on your game.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1
  • jbrunkjbrunk Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Bag color is a tie breaker for headcovers & grips. Club brand is a tie breaker for the bag. Performance is the tie breaker for clubs.
    Sun Mountain C130S
    Cobra King F9 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra King F9 Tour 17.5° 5W HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Ping G 22° 4Hy 2KNV Green 85H
    Callaway XF 4i Steelfiber i95
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52° 58° Modus3 120
    Piretti Teramo
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 3,958 ClubWRX
    I totally get this and most of the time feel the same way.... has to be at least 1 club in there, but for some reason, Ping bags can pull it off. I used my all black Ping 4 series today and realized after that I had zero of my Ping clubs in it.... first time this has never bothered me..LOL

I would love a neutral bag, but I hate that the Sun Mountains have the leg mechanism on the outside... it makes for a less than perfect fit on the clicgear for me.... I may look into a Jones stand bag this summer to kill these OCD tendencies once and for all.....

Who am I kidding.... that will never last either.
    Ping G400 9* Proforce V2 66s
    Taylormade M2 15* Proforce V2 66s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Srixon Z745 4-P PX 5.5 Flighted
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,024 ✭✭
    I understand this completely. With that being said, I don't use it to sway any purchases.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,613 ClubWRX
    Nixhex524 wrote:

I totally get this and most of the time feel the same way.... has to be at least 1 club in there, but for some reason, Ping bags can pull it off. I used my all black Ping 4 series today and realized after that I had zero of my Ping clubs in it.... first time this has never bothered me..LOL

I would love a neutral bag, but I hate that the Sun Mountains have the leg mechanism on the outside... it makes for a less than perfect fit on the clicgear for me.... I may look into a Jones stand bag this summer to kill these OCD tendencies once and for all.....

Who am I kidding.... that will never last either.

Same here. Sun Mountain so I'm safe. But also a Hoofer for when I walk. No Ping clubs. But the bag is an awesome color combo and has our club logo on it, so I can rationalize it away.

OP, you are not alone!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62