2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mike Malaska golf

I looked at a bunch of his youtube videos and got 90% of his move (I think) but could never produce that much power with it..but it felt nice and easy to do and execute.

I switched to more of a Shawn Clements swing with perpetual motion and have definitely produced more power but its not quite as easy for me to perform on every shot...still working on making it my natural swing and not something I have to rehearse and think about. Showing lots of promise as my scores have come down over the last month...but some of that is just getting more rounds in coming out of a cold Spring where I didn't get to play much at all.

Has anyone looks at in site? I find informative. I will try it. Thanks Ed

If you want to avoid all the technical stuff it’s a good choice. Personally after years of searching and trying to swing thinking of every body part possible I’m worn out. Hands in clubhead out to the ball, slight push away leave the wrists alone, practice practice practice.

It’s basically left arm rotation connection with zipper away. If you’re a puller expect distance to be down to start.

The MM move doesn't tally with Phil Cheethams research using AMM 3D data on the swings of 64 golfers. The graphs show that there is virtually no counterclockwise handle twist happening between P4 and P6 (ie. for a right handed golfer).

http://www.philcheetham.com/media/Phillip-Cheetham-Doctoral-Dissertation-2014.pdf

Figure 17 page 33.

The MM move doesn't tally with Phil Cheethams research using AMM 3D data on the swings of 64 golfers. The graphs show that there is virtually no counterclockwise handle twist happening between P4 and P6 (ie. for a right handed golfer).

What move is this?

early pronation of right forearm between P4 and P6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FvE9RbNaFY

PS. Its a bit of a strange video because he says to do this drill to 'feel' the MM Move but the motion won't look like the drill.

What move is this?

early pronation of right forearm between P4 and P6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FvE9RbNaFY

PS. Its a bit of a strange video because he says to do this drill to 'feel' the MM Move but the motion won't look like the drill.

It doesn’t happen early. If you look at noren or rose as examples their drills won’t show up on 3D data. Should rose stop doing it because Phil Cheetham data of his real swing doesn’t showing him dropping his hands to his knees?

• Like 1

It doesn’t happen early. If you look at noren or rose as examples their drills won’t show up on 3D data. Should rose stop doing it because Phil Cheetham data of his real swing doesn’t showing him dropping his hands to his knees?

So you are saying its a drill where he's asking people to 'feel' something extreme by doing this slow half swing drill with the right hand/arm, so when you actually do it at full speed it will look correct from a swing mechanics perspective? So although it looks correct , there are underlying forces better ready to square the clubface.

PS. MM's video sort of reminds me of the Tom Tomasello videos showing the right arm swinging action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0_sBjPRrY4

So you are saying its a drill where he's asking people to 'feel' something extreme by doing this slow half swing drill with the right hand, so when you actually do it at full speed it will look correct from a swing mechanics perspective? So although it looks correct , there are underlying forces better ready to square the clubface.

You need to look at more of the videos in fairness. The general concept is before the backswing ends the right hip moves back(zipper away deep right hip etc)

This general motion starts to drop the arms. The hands in clubhead out is done without unhinging of the wrists. As the club works out you are still pushing away.

Like most instruction videos where one move is shown taken on face value there is obvious flaws if it is taken literally. I got lessons a few months back which messed me up but one thing I learnt trying to swing from positions or actual data is the road to ruin.

Didn’t see the video you posted first time of reading. I think malaska is big on left arm rotation and sees pulling as a major fault in most golfer. There are inconsistencies in his videos regarding the hands from my perspective.

I actuallly struggle doing slow mo left arm rotation drills my fault is so severe.

Didn’t see the video you posted first time of reading. I think malaska is big on left arm rotation and sees pulling as a major fault in most golfer. There are inconsistencies in his videos regarding the hands from my perspective.

I actuallly struggle doing slow mo left arm rotation drills my fault is so severe.

There are a variety of ways to swing and one of them is the Leslie King 'left arm' swinging method which sort of panders to golfers who cannot actively pivot very well .That is a pure left arm pulling method which is the opposite of what MM advocates (and is the polar opposite of what Tom Tomasello used to advocate). Its a bit of a lottery trying to find a type of instruction (which in itself cannot guarantee 100% success rate) that might suit your unique biomechanical pattern. Personally , I use Shawn Clements philosophy using PMD drill while swinging in balance and without strain (using external cues like swinging to a target ).

There are a variety of ways to swing and one of them is the Leslie King 'left arm' swinging method which sort of panders to golfers who cannot actively pivot very well .That is a pure left arm pulling method which is the opposite of what MM advocates (and is the polar opposite of what Tom Tomasello used to advocate). Its a bit of a lottery trying to find a type of instruction (which in itself cannot guarantee 100% success rate) that might suit your unique biomechanical pattern. Personally , I use Shawn Clements philosophy using PMD drill while swinging in balance and without strain (using external cues like swinging to a target ).

Thats exactly what I switched to this year and so far with great results. One particular thing I like about it is there are times with my old swing I would feel out of synch and nothing felt natural. With PMD I can just do it between holes and/or before I hit the ball and its such a natural motion that its easy to get the "feeling" back. Still in the act of converting since I just started several weeks ago but the early results are very promising. Also is more powerful than my previous swing as I picked up a full club on the course (on the range when I let it rip its up to two clubs over my previous swing).

Thats exactly what I switched to this year and so far with great results. One particular thing I like about it is there are times with my old swing I would feel out of synch and nothing felt natural. With PMD I can just do it between holes and/or before I hit the ball and its such a natural motion that its easy to get the "feeling" back. Still in the act of converting since I just started several weeks ago but the early results are very promising. Also is more powerful than my previous swing as I picked up a full club on the course (on the range when I let it rip its up to two clubs over my previous swing).

I'm in total agreement because you are just trusting your body to automatically move you in the correct way to fit your intent. Okay , its not going to guarantee you a perfect strike every time but that will improve as your 'naturalness' and 'judgement' improves over time for every scenario you encounter on the golf course.

I just need to practice. It’s on the course when I revert to pulling like a demon or concentrate that much on the arms I forget to turn through. It’s all about syncing

• Like 1

Has anyone looks at in site? I find informative. I will try it. Thanks Ed

It has definitely helped my game. But to understand what much of Malaska's teaching entails you need to understand the difference between a "feel" during the swing and what is actually happening during the swing. They frequently, maybe never, are not the same. Much about the golf swing is counter-intuitive. The dynamic nature of the swing means that it is all but impossible to build an fluid, efficient swing by trying to copy static swing positions that are seen at different points during an actual swing. Malaska teaches certain swing feels that do not correlate to static swing positions. But when these feels are incorporated into a dynamic swing the result is a fluid and powerful move. When these "feels" are done properly, the result is an on-plane swing that brings the clubhead into impact position in the most efficient manner. In a way, his teachings are quite opposite to the way the golf swing is usually taught. Instead of a good swing has a certain feel, he teaches that a certain feel produces a good swing. Like any kind of teaching, he will resonate better with some than with others. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

The hands in club head out concept is great, i got a little too handsy when i tried some of his stuff.

It's still way better than almost all of the stuff out there.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Every thread involving this instructor has a very weird vibe. I for one strongly believe that the move I’ve seen him discuss from the top isn’t what is happening in good swings, but I can understand that it’s a move that some might need and that he clearly gets results with his students. But opinion on him seems strongly divided, like his supporters won’t admit that it’s even possible that the move may not be what happens, while his detractors seem like they can’t admit that he does help his students. Other threads have this vibe more than this one, but I wonder if I’m missing something here. Is there some backstory that explains why there are such strong opinions on both sides? Or is it just that everyone is talking past each other?

Every thread involving this instructor has a very weird vibe. I for one strongly believe that the move I’ve seen him discuss from the top isn’t what is happening in good swings, but I can understand that it’s a move that some might need and that he clearly gets results with his students. But opinion on him seems strongly divided, like his supporters won’t admit that it’s even possible that the move may not be what happens, while his detractors seem like they can’t admit that he does help his students. Other threads have this vibe more than this one, but I wonder if I’m missing something here. Is there some backstory that explains why there are such strong opinions on both sides? Or is it just that everyone is talking past each other?

I think it mostly has to do with the fact that MM has said that his so-called "Malaska move" is for everyone.

Much like the weird vibe I get when I see people not understanding a feeling or exaggeration to produce a result. Isn't that how many teach? If you're trying to get to a position over exaggerate it? I see George Gankas use drills to feel a move or exaggerate a move frequently.

I paid for the site, but you aren't missing much by just looking at his Youtube videos. The videos aren't real organized and they're not part of an in depth, multiple step method. His main crux is quiet lower body/arms in front/hands in and club head out.

He sites the added weight of the club head as speed increases for the feel of a very steep shaft tipping the club over into impact. If you're underneath the plane, stuck, goat humping and hold off the release you literally cannot overdue that move and produce some super steep, cutting across motion that produces big pull slices at full speed if your life depended on it. There isn't much instruction out there that generalizes the under plane people who hold it off too much so let us have our one guy who preaches to us! I was watching a Monte video the other day and he said, "we live in the world of low and slow, one piece take away, fire the hips and hold off the lag" and I'm screaming in my head, "I don't do that s*** because I read it in a magazine, it's just what my body does when I swing a club!" Long story short, some of us need that feel/over exaggeration to get the hands in and club head out more in our swings because we have too much of the opposite going on.

In search of solid contact...

I could be way off base here but what he's doing looks like a flip to me and you don't see any experienced player flip at the bottom of the swing. The arm swivel, as I understand it, in the tour player happens just shy of hip height through the ball...If I did that, and have, I'd hook the crap out of it. Maybe I'm missing something.

I could be way off base here but what he's doing looks like a flip to me and you don't see any experienced player flip at the bottom of the swing. The arm swivel, as I understand it, in the tour player happens just shy of hip height through the ball...If I did that, and have, I'd hook the crap out of it. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's an exaggeration to get students to get the hands close to the body instead of moving towards the ball.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

yes you are missing something, in some of his videos he re-explains what he wants people to feel and how it's not a flip. I think that maybe he wasn't clear enough in his earlier stuff and people started to thing they need to flip the club out.

I've never seen more confusion about something so simple before. Exaggerate a move to get to where you actually want to be. Shoot for the stars so you reach the moon. Set goals just out of reach and you'll be closer to your actual goal than when you started. What is so hard?

It's a feel, it's an exaggeration, it's not what actually happens despite you trying to do exactly what he's telling you to do. I've tried tipping the club head over my hands literally at the top only to see the club head inline with my hands at P9/hip high. If your club head is already outside of your hands by that point it might not be a move for you to try.

In search of solid contact...

I've never seen more confusion about something so simple before. Exaggerate a move to get to where you actually want to be. Shoot for the stars so you reach the moon. Set goals just out of reach and you'll be closer to your actual goal than when you started. What is so hard?

It's a feel, it's an exaggeration, it's not what actually happens despite you trying to do exactly what he's telling you to do. I've tried tipping the club head over my hands literally at the top only to see the club head inline with my hands at P9/hip high. If your club head is already outside of your hands by that point it might not be a move for you to try.

At the end what he's pushing is where the hands are going during the downswing.

Malaska wants the hands to immediately to drop down close to the body, while most other instruction wants the hands to move towards the ball.

That's a big change for most people, so he's got these other feels/exaggerations to get his students there.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

• 1 year later...

I’ve watched his YouTube site for a couple of months and I finally subscribed to his premium site. Money well spent in my opinion. I’ve found his teaching and communication style very helpful to me. I’ve tried virtually every type of swing over the past 30+ years and I just get what Mike is saying. The L to L drill just really help see what my swing should look like and his drills in general give you the necessary feels you need to produce a solid golf swing.

> @BottleCap said:

> (Quote)

>

>

>

>

> At the end what he's pushing is where the hands are going during the downswing.

>

>

>

> Malaska wants the hands to immediately to drop down close to the body, while most other instruction wants the hands to move towards the ball.

>

>

>

> That's a big change for most people, so he's got these other feels/exaggerations to get his students there.

Hands dropping down on a more vertical path will help a lot of golfers but I think Malaska got the steepening of the club wrong. That simply doesn't happen in a high caliber swing. There's a misconception that a downward handpath steepens the shaft and an outward handpath shallows the club. That is not always the case. A lot of world class swings combine a downward handpath with a flat shaft. Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia are good examples.

Here's an AMG video that explains it.

• Like 1