Bryson DeChambeau Winning Again

disco111

Hasn't helped me unload the set of F7s I have for sale locally.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Nope

but longer short irons are a good idea IMO

Ping G400 LST 10.6* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* G Design AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* G Design AD DI 6x 

Ping G425 4h 23* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i - 7i & s55 8i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Nope

They have been a bigger help than the shorter long irons, to me.

I may even go traditional 5 & 6, then have 7 on down be SL (my SL are 36.5").

The longer wedges have allowed me to take full, aggressive swings without fear of pulling way left, which was an issue for me with shorter wedges. From 6 to 9, I can tell the clubs apart, but visually, from SW-PW (spread of 110-150), the wedges are identical to me in look and feel at address. I literally feel like I'm hitting the same club.

I can even full rip the 60* (forged, more blade-like) for 90ish yard shots. And high pitches are easier (to me) with the longer shaft.

Nope

The longer wedges have allowed me to take full, aggressive swings without fear of pulling way left, which was an issue for me with shorter wedges. From 6 to 9, I can tell the clubs apart, but visually, from SW-PW (spread of 110-150), the wedges are identical to me in look and feel at address. I literally feel like I'm hitting the same club.

I can even full rip the 60* (forged, more blade-like) for 90ish yard shots. And high pitches are easier (to me) with the longer shaft.

"to me" isn't necessary, especially THREE times

No chance. Tried them once at golf town and that was enough for me

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

Nope

Why are you trying to rip sand wedges and lob wedges? Smh

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Got the F7s but went back to the RSi 1 set. Yet I think he has a great swing. It’s different but still very good. Don’t think I would be able to change my 43 year old swing with a 59 year old beat up body that I’m currently sporting.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I play my PW, 52, 56, and 60 at the same length. That is probably as close as I'll get. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Frankly I think he has an ugly swing and putting as well. I have noticed he has a very long put which arrives till the elbow, is it "legal"? Does this help?

You win this weeks trophy.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

Cobra claims 60%+ of their sales are single length. All last year when I worked at a big box store I think we sold 4 sets. Lots of interest, absolutely! I will give credit to Cobra there, they definitely were able to generate a lot of buzz. However, most people don't want to hit chest-high 4, 5, and 6 irons that run out 40 yards and all carry about 6 yards longer than a 7i does. I tried a set, and I have the same issues everyone else is having with them. The long irons fly too low, and the short irons are well...just short. They don't go anywhere. I swear I've lost a full club going to these and encroaching on two clubs in my 9i and PW. I've tried ball position too.

They are fun to bring out once and a while, but to keep as a staple in the bag? No chance. There is a reason the EQL failed some 25-30 years ago. There is a reason literally no other company is doing it. Remember the Wilson Fat Shaft? Wilson guys were all over it proclaiming it to be the next god-tier innovation in golf. Even Wilson admits it was a terrible design and wants to kill it with fire. I give Cobra two more years with the SL idea before it disappears completely.

As for Bryson, he didn't exactly win the tournament in dominating fashion. The guy is really good, but he's a headcase that got lucky. Nobody challenged him at all on Sunday, while he blasted driver all over the planet (at 43" mind you...), and had some of the laziest attempts at birdie I've seen in a long time. He coasted his way into the club house when it was ripe for a massive run. If Justin Rose, J.B. Holmes, Niemann, Fowler, or Woods had caught a little fire on the front run and posted a -2 to -4 early to get them to around the -14 number early, Bryson would have puked and probably shot +2 or +3. All he had to contend with was watching Cantlay be slow.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Cobra claims 60%+ of their sales are single length. All last year when I worked at a big box store I think we sold 4 sets. Lots of interest, absolutely! I will give credit to Cobra there, they definitely were able to generate a lot of buzz. However, most people don't want to hit chest-high 4, 5, and 6 irons that run out 40 yards and all carry about 6 yards longer than a 7i does. I tried a set, and I have the same issues everyone else is having with them. The long irons fly too low, and the short irons are well...just short. They don't go anywhere. I swear I've lost a full club going to these and encroaching on two clubs in my 9i and PW. I've tried ball position too.

They are fun to bring out once and a while, but to keep as a staple in the bag? No chance. There is a reason the EQL failed some 25-30 years ago. There is a reason literally no other company is doing it. Remember the Wilson Fat Shaft? Wilson guys were all over it proclaiming it to be the next god-tier innovation in golf. Even Wilson admits it was a terrible design and wants to kill it with fire. I give Cobra two more years with the SL idea before it disappears completely.

As for Bryson, he didn't exactly win the tournament in dominating fashion. The guy is really good, but he's a headcase that got lucky. Nobody challenged him at all on Sunday, while he blasted driver all over the planet (at 43" mind you...), and had some of the laziest attempts at birdie I've seen in a long time. He coasted his way into the club house when it was ripe for a massive run. If Justin Rose, J.B. Holmes, Niemann, Fowler, or Woods had caught a little fire on the front run and posted a -2 to -4 early to get them to around the -14 number early, Bryson would have puked and probably shot +2 or +3. All he had to contend with was watching Cantlay be slow.

My short irons went 5-10 yards longer and higher. Long irons (4&5) were about 5 yards shorter but a much lower trajectory then I’m used too and wouldn’t hold greens unless they were slow that day.

I think there are four key take-aways from DeChambeau:

1. While this clearly works for him, we only know how he's doing THIS way, and not what he MIGHT be doing with a different setup. In other words, we don't know if what we are seeing is "because of", or "in spite of", or somewhere in between.

2. What ANY Tour pro does may or may not have the least bit of relevance to the rest of us. If you watch Bubba Watson and decided that you'll hit a pink driver farther because he does, you may be disappointed. Professional athletes are, to a great extent, genetic freaks, and the more unusual what they do happens to be, the less likely it is to replicate for us. DeChambeau is a REALLY quirky guy, and though he is obviously very bright, his quirks are his quirks. Your mileage may vary...

3. DeChambeau spent a lot of time and a lot of money figuring out where HIS best swing was and how to build clubs around that swing, and now he has OEM help with that. That is a far, far cry from walking in off the street and buying a set of single-length irons off the rack. And that's not to mention the practice time he had/has available to make this thing work, vs. a guy who is looking for a way to cut a few strokes off his index.

4. I am a HUGE believer in getting properly fitted for clubs; it's been a long, long time since I've had ANYTHING in my bag without extensive work to get it right. But this seems almost the opposite of club fitting to me. I get the idea behind it, for sure, but not all ideas are good ones.

Nope

Because they are all the same length. It is the exactly same head and shaft, why would I swing it differently?

If you don't buy in, that's cool. You can shake your head. The only thing that changes on the club is the loft.

My SW is 54*, my GW is 49*. Is there a reason to take a full swing with one and not the other? Or is it just because traditionally that's not what people do?

Nope

Because they are all the same length. It is the exactly same head and shaft, why would I swing it differently?

If you don't buy in, that's cool. You can shake your head. The only thing that changes on the club is the loft.

My SW is 54*, my GW is 49*. Is there a reason to take a full swing with one and not the other? Or is it just because traditionally that's not what people do?

Single length is fine. I just think you'd have more success hitting a 3/4 pw or gw then trying to ram in a full lob wedge. I can see that need depending on pin placement. I just would not call a full 60 degree wedge a high percentage shot for anyone but the absolute best ball strikers.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Side note people talk about being able to swing harder at a wedge, I get the idea and sometimes thats nice depending on the type of shot you wanna hit.

That said even though they all are the same length I swing my wedges slower than my long irons even though they are same length same flex same everything.

Psychologically I just cant swing them as fast lol.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

Cobra Forged One Length 2022 LA Golf Bryson Shafts

Cobra Forged One Length 54/60

Side note people talk about being able to swing harder at a wedge, I get the idea and sometimes thats nice depending on the type of shot you wanna hit.

That said even though they all are the same length I swing my wedges slower than my long irons even though they are same length same flex same everything.

Psychologically I just cant swing them as fast lol.

This has been my experience as well, and Trackman backs it up. It's about 5 mph of swing speed difference, but my 5* gaps have kept everything fine.

I am not an amazing ball striker but have not noticed it being difficult to hit my spots with a full 60* from 85-95 yards out. The misses aren't any more severe than missing with a GW (pull left, the occasional fatty). Out of the deepest of rough I do club up and then hit a "less-than" shot so I can control the head more. That's about it.

My contact on PW-LW shots has probably been the most repeatable part of my game.

I understand why people advocate for less-than full swings at times, but my experience has not required me to do that.

I hope not, or else I need to start hoarding.

It's a great concept for parts of the bag, IMO. Also, I don't think it's a good "off the rack" solution. You know everyone has their break point where the loft just isn't going to be enough to get airborne. I swing my SL irons (down to the 9i at least) roughly 87 mph. beyond 24*, there was no benefit. And I play my irons 3/4" shorter than stock.

I had 3 Trackman sessions to select shaft and then to figure out the lowest loft I could effectively elevate. Then we tested loft gapping backwards from there. Hence my different specs.

I have struggled to shape shots with the 6 iron, though height and distance is there. So I have employed an RBZ 6 iron for craps and giggles so I can work the ball better. Something in the geometry just wasn't right with the F7.

As I noted, my results from 150 and in has been significant improvement compared to prior years, though this is anecdotal (as much as I preach data, I haven't collected much).

I will say, that I did have the feeling the short irons were "short" after a couple rounds. Somewhere along the way, though, I started swinging the short irons with more speed, and have been able to get very nice gapping, on par with my traditional set.

This was my long-winded way of saying I don't think SL is a good off-the-rack solution, the loft gaps will be an issue (duh), and that I am the rare bird that sees more benefit from SL short irons and wedges than SL long irons.

I could see myself with traditional 5 & 6, then SL 7-LW.