Should I cut down a 38" Toulon?

gallas2gallas2 Leading my flight in strokes gained punching outMembers Posts: 752 ✭✭
Got this back from a buddy who has no job.....I don't love the feel of it as a 38 so I was thinking about cutting it down 2".

It has the 40g plate and the Superstroke xl 2.0. My question is whether cutting this down to 36" and putting the stock Toulon etched grip on will cause major problems?

I've seen 36" mid release models with a superstroke Pistol Tour. Not sure if they have a counterbalanced weight or not but I'd consider this an option as well.

Thanks in advance!
G400, P770's, F913, Vokey 54, M1 hybrid and an $80 Odyssey...

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,150 ✭✭
    Your swingweight will be VERY high with out the weight in the butt. There almost surely is a weight in it now.

It’s like when everyone cuts down their 38 inch dual balance Scotty’s and wonders why they feel so **** heavy. The heads are made far heavier in a dual balance design and there is a weight in the grip to counter the really heavy heads.

I’m not sure about the design you have, but the dual balance Scotty’s are not made to be gripped like a normal putter. You are supposed to choke down 2 or 3 Inches to get the full effect of counterbalancing. Many people don’t understand they are supposed to choke down or hate the feel of it.

If you hold a “heavy head” counterbalanced putter all the way at the end of the grip, you really just have a **** heavy putter in your hands.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Go Horns!Go Horns! Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    The 38 with a 40g plate is supposed to be a counterbalanced putter. But cutting it down two inches will help with the swing weight if you use a standard grip.

It all comes down to what swing weight you want the putter to have.

Will it cause a major problem? Probably not.

How tall are you?
  • gallas2gallas2 Leading my flight in strokes gained punching out Members Posts: 752 ✭✭
    Go Horns! wrote:

The 38 with a 40g plate is supposed to be a counterbalanced putter. But cutting it down two inches will help with the swing weight if you use a standard grip.

It all comes down to what swing weight you want the putter to have.

Will it cause a major problem? Probably not.

How tall are you?

thanks. I'm 6'1 and prefer a 35 or -- even better a 36. I have a 36 Ping that I like the length of.
  • gallas2gallas2 Leading my flight in strokes gained punching out Members Posts: 752 ✭✭

Your swingweight will be VERY high with out the weight in the butt. There almost surely is a weight in it now.

It’s like when everyone cuts down their 38 inch dual balance Scotty’s and wonders why they feel so **** heavy. The heads are made far heavier in a dual balance design and there is a weight in the grip to counter the really heavy heads.

I’m not sure about the design you have, but the dual balance Scotty’s are not made to be gripped like a normal putter. You are supposed to choke down 2 or 3 Inches to get the full effect of counterbalancing. Many people don’t understand they are supposed to choke down or hate the feel of it.

If you hold a “heavy head” counterbalanced putter all the way at the end of the grip, you really just have a **** heavy putter in your hands.

Yes there is a 50g weight in the end of the grip. I tried it without the weight and like it. I tend to grip it near the end of the graphic on the superstroke at 36" which I why I thought about cutting it to 36. Thanks for your input.
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Posts: 288 ✭✭
    I had a Scotty dual balance. I took the weight out and cut it flush. I love the feel. I enjoy a heavy putter.
    Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter

I had a Scotty dual balance. I took the weight out and cut it flush. I love the feel. I enjoy a heavy putter.

Thanks for the reply -- I think I might try it. I also like a heavy putter -- have 3 strips of lead tape on my gamer. I also prefer a normal sized grip to the 2.0.