ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Identify cast vs thermoplastic urethane balls.

larciellarciel I play for eagleAdvanced Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Golf Balls
After trying so many golf balls over last 6 months, I now know that I prefer cast urethane vs [background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]thermoplastic or TPU. [/background]

From searching, seems like Srixon and Bridgestone use [background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]thermoplastic . Tmag use cast. (how about project a ?)[/background]

[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]What does Chromesoft use? A: TPU.[/background]

[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]And I like the silky coasting like smooth texture on cast urethane balls. After few rounds, I can't feel much of that coating anymore. Is it time to play a new ball?[/background]
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Advanced Members Posts: 928
    Remove the word golf. After trying so many balls over the past 6 mos.. and I like the silky coating like smooth texture on balls...

Teehee...
    Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Advanced Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    come back after you go blow some. image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />
  • ShortGameJunkieShortGameJunkie Advanced Members Posts: 342
    Do you like it because of the texture or performance? Can’t say that you’d be able to say performance given the fact that you wouldn’t know if it’s the ball or not since you can’t get say 1 ProV in cast and 1 in tpu.

I can’t say that I can notice the difference but I did always think that the Bridgestone and srixon balls felt softer via the fingernail test
    Driver: 2016 M2 10.5* Fukijura pro 60 S

3wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 15* Matrix Ozik Red Tie S

3 hybrid: Ping G 19* Alta 70 S

4i: Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal C-Taper Lite S

5-GW: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged C-Taper Lite S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 54* & 60*

Putter: 2018 Newport 34”
    edited June 2018
    Frankly I'm trying to find out if there's a correlation.

For example I prefer Snell black performance over red which is TPU.

Cut golf balls, I think are TPU or similar because that shiny look is like snell Red or even K3 and I hated the performance of K3.
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,641 ✭✭
    larciel wrote:

[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]And I like the silky coasting like smooth texture on cast urethane balls. After few rounds, I can't feel much of that coating anymore. Is it time to play a new ball?[/background]

Sounds to me like you're talking about the clear coat and finishing - which has nothing to do with the question you're asking (performance of the ball).
    Stuart G. wrote:

larciel wrote:

Sounds to me like you're talking about the clear coat and finishing - which has nothing to do with the question you're asking (performance of the ball).

That's side question. Main one is tpu vs cast and what chromesoft is. Lol
  • North ButteNorth Butte Advanced Members Posts: 9,755 ✭✭
    The original Chrome Soft was a TPU cover and I have no reason to think they've switched materials. Callaway has generally been one of the TPU cover brands.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

The original Chrome Soft was a TPU cover and I have no reason to think they've switched materials. Callaway has generally been one of the TPU cover brands.

thanks. So the balls I generally hate are TPU covered ones.. nice lol

since you're AVX expert, is AVX TPU?
  • North ButteNorth Butte Advanced Members Posts: 9,755 ✭✭
    Titleists says "cast urethane" and given they are making it alongside the ProV1 and ProV1x in the same factories, it makes sense that the process of casting the covers is the same.

Generally cast urethane balls come from Titleist, Taylormade and/or two of the Asian factories (including the one that makes the original Snell MTB, aka MTB Black). The remaining overseas and USA manufacturers are some sort of TPU or other non-cast process.

P.S. I think I have that correct. Seems like there ought to be one other cast-urethane-cover maker but I can't think who it would be.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • TsarBombaTsarBomba Advanced Members Posts: 698
    edited June 2018

Titleists says "cast urethane" and given they are making it alongside the ProV1 and ProV1x in the same factories, it makes sense that the process of casting the covers is the same.

Generally cast urethane balls come from Titleist, Taylormade and/or two of the Asian factories (including the one that makes the original Snell MTB, aka MTB Black). The remaining overseas and USA manufacturers are some sort of TPU or other non-cast process.

P.S. I think I have that correct. Seems like there ought to be one other cast-urethane-cover maker but I can't think who it would be.

AVX is cast

Srixon tour balls are Cast also.

Have no preference on performance and doubt I could tell the difference between the two.

However, I like the crisper/sharper looking edges and finer fonts on most of the cast balls.the TPU balls look like toys to me.

- wonder if those sharper edges give a ball more "bite" assuming similar spin rates...
    TsarBomba wrote:

However, I like the crisper/sharper looking edges and finer fonts on most of the cast balls.the TPU balls look like toys to me.

- wonder if those sharper edges give a ball more "bite" assuming similar spin rates...

That's exactly my feeling too! Can't stand glossy TPU looks and while I'm not sure how that effects performance, I don't like playing it.

Good to hear srixon is cast. Although I saw from Dean Snell that dyeing yellow on cast is very tough so not sure if z star yellow is cast too?
  • TsarBombaTsarBomba Advanced Members Posts: 698
    larciel wrote:

TsarBomba wrote:

That's exactly my feeling too! Can't stand glossy TPU looks and while I'm not sure how that effects performance, I don't like playing it.

Good to hear srixon is cast. Although I saw from Dean Snell that dyeing yellow on cast is very tough so not sure if z star yellow is cast too?

Oh, well maybe I'm wrong on Srixons
    Avx has yellow too so maybe it's just Too expensive to dye on cast not impossible.
  • ShortGameJunkieShortGameJunkie Advanced Members Posts: 342
    If there was a performance difference all top companies would be making their urethane balls via that method
    Driver: 2016 M2 10.5* Fukijura pro 60 S

3wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 15* Matrix Ozik Red Tie S

3 hybrid: Ping G 19* Alta 70 S

4i: Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal C-Taper Lite S

5-GW: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged C-Taper Lite S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 54* & 60*

Putter: 2018 Newport 34”
  • heisman6183heisman6183 Advanced Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Is there a definitive list of cast vs. TPU urethane golf balls? I much prefer the feel of cast, like Pro V1 and the original Kirkland, vs. TPU. Unfortunately, most golf balls don't highlight this so it's hard to identify when trying to buy online. Vice, I believe, advertises their higher end models as cast.
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Advanced Members Posts: 879 ✭✭
    TsarBomba wrote:

larciel wrote:

TsarBomba wrote:

Srixon uses TPU
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • pallmallpallmall Members Posts: 10

TsarBomba wrote:

larciel wrote:

TsarBomba wrote:

Srixon uses TPU

Yes. Srixon uses TPU. It is possible they also use compression molding instead of injection molding for their TPU cover. Unlike thin thermoset cover by casting or RIM, 0.5 mm TPU is too thin for injection.