Props to Cobra on the new Forged Tec Black!

Comments

• KmacKmac Members Posts: 694 ✭✭
    Good question and I'm not sure. I was also trying to figure out if these are hollow body clubs like the 790's
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    dmeeksDC wrote:

Is the head on the Blacks the same as the one on the original Forged Tecs? Some say it is, some say black just makes it look different. Not referring to changes they may have made in vibration dampening but to the raw head used in both models.

I had both, I think it's different, feel is way better and looks smaller with a thinner topline to me, not as big and chunky
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,196 ClubWRX
    russian7 wrote:

dmeeksDC wrote:

Is the head on the Blacks the same as the one on the original Forged Tecs? Some say it is, some say black just makes it look different. Not referring to changes they may have made in vibration dampening but to the raw head used in both models.

I had both, I think it's different, feel is way better and looks smaller with a thinner topline to me, not as big and chunky

That’s why I asked. I thought the first one was a bit chunky. Definitely a high-quality club, just slightly bigger than that size that I look at and like right away. So was hoping they slimmed it a little. Though really, after two weeks off and an inconsistent session at the range yesterday, I ought to buy the big heads like Ricky has in his new 4 iron and forget about it!
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
    dmeeksDC wrote:

russian7 wrote:

dmeeksDC wrote:

That’s why I asked. I thought the first one was a bit chunky. Definitely a high-quality club, just slightly bigger than that size that I look at and like right away. So was hoping they slimmed it a little. Though really, after two weeks off and an inconsistent session at the range yesterday, I ought to buy the big heads like Ricky has in his new 4 iron and forget about it!

Haha!
    Cobra seems be getting these out super fast. Ordered yesterday and shipped yesterday! Scheduled to arrive on the east coast by Tuesday, that's fast. And with custom shafts too.
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭
    Kmac wrote:

Well, sold a couple items yesterday and promptly ordered the Forged Tec black irons with $ Taper shafts also in black. I almost went with the AMT white shafts but I have never gotten along with DG shafts too well and the KBS $ taper are.... money. lol
    hate kbs love dg......weird world
    dunn wrote:

Kmac wrote:

Well, sold a couple items yesterday and promptly ordered the Forged Tec black irons with $ Taper shafts also in black. I almost went with the AMT white shafts but I have never gotten along with DG shafts too well and the KBS $ taper are.... money. lol

Haha that it is. And it seems you are either a DG guy or a KBS guy but never both lol
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    I played with a set of these last week. If I needed irons I would auto buy them.
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter

I played with a set of these last week. If I needed irons I would auto buy them.

That good huh? What would you compare them to?
  • C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,606 ✭✭
    Golftown has them on sale if someone is interested. Almost picked a set.
    Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    edited Nov 11, 2018 #42
    Kmac wrote:

That’s a good question, I’m not sure. My first thought was how cool they looked. The black on black looks sick in the bag lol. Maybe a longer more forgiving titleist CB
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Kmac wrote:

That's a good question, I'm not sure. My first thought was how cool they looked. The black on black looks sick in the bag lol. Maybe a longer more forgiving titleist CB

A longer more forgiving sick looking iron sounds good to me. lol
    edited Nov 11, 2018 #44
    Just traded my AP2 for set of these, compared em to silver ones side by side and they look identical cept for black....I know face, and dampener is different but black really hides the size of head....hit a few shots on monitor and seem fine.....take em out tomorrow for trial run and thru next few weeks....I have a MB (mp69)set already so wanted CB set....not crazy bout current mizuno lineup....and nothing else at store really did it....srixon was next choice but headshape while better than 765 (hideous)didnt really do it......but may give srixon a shot if these dont......absolutely dont on with AP2 for whatever reason and never have tho keep trying, lol

One thing I do know is setting a head down at address in store is different than on grass....
    Kmac wrote:

dunn wrote:

Kmac wrote:

Haha that it is. And it seems you are either a DG guy or a KBS guy but never both lol
    very true.....
    Well mine arrive Wednesday and I’m pretty excited to get them in hand. No idea when I’ll actuakky hit them tho as it’s pretty cold and weather has not been good.
  • Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭
    Kmac wrote:

Well mine arrive Wednesday and I’m pretty excited to get them in hand. No idea when I’ll actuakky hit them tho as it’s pretty cold and weather has not been good.

They perform well in cold to moderate temperatures, haha. Shot a 77 in 42*-47*F weather on Friday. I'm going to look into selling my mint 565 back up set for another forged tec black with $taper set. I like them that much. My only hang up with doing that is the minute I have two sets of the same iron, I'll decide I'm better off with something else, lol...
    Cobra King F9 Avalanche 9* Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    Cobra King LTD 3-4w Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 913h 19* Aldila Tour Green 85hs
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack 35” 400g

Kmac wrote:

They perform well in cold to moderate temperatures, haha. Shot a 77 in 42*-47*F weather on Friday. I'm going to look into selling my mint 565 back up set for another forged tec black with $taper set. I like them that much. My only hang up with doing that is the minute I have two sets of the same iron, I'll decide I'm better off with something else, lol...

Sir, you have issues, lol. Anyone who knows me, like Gio, is laughing while reading that haha. These will be something like my 5 or 6th set this year.

I ordered that exact combo, $ Taper in Black.
  • datkisondatkison Members Posts: 85
    My FTB One length w/ Modus 105 showed up Friday. Hit a small bucket on the range before heading out to the course. Hit 12 GIR which is the best I've done in past year. Needless to say I'm happy so far.
    edited Nov 12, 2018 #50
    Played yesterday.....shaft maybe bit heavy for me, or just have to get used to it...last shaft was much lighter but head seems good

Give it few more rds, going back out today
    dunn wrote:

Played yesterday.....shaft maybe bit heavy for me, or just have to get used to it...last shaft was much lighter but head seems good

sounds like you need some KBS shafts haha... I kid!
  • hartrick11hartrick11 San DiegoMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited Nov 14, 2018 #52
    How do the 9 & wedge(s) play in this set? Looking at maybe doing 4-9 forged tec (1* weak) and PW GW in the forged CB to get a more compact look, but if longer term reviews are fine on these then I probably would just get the full set of FTB.

Driver: Cobra F8+, Hzrdus Black
    3w: Cobra F7, AD DI
    UT: TaylorMade Gapr LO, KBS Proto
    Irons: Cobra King Forged CB, KBS $ Taper
    Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B X-W1 54 & 60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

edited Nov 14, 2018 #53
    Kmac wrote:

dunn wrote:

sounds like you need some KBS shafts haha... I kid!
    believe me I've tried them, have 3 sets in garage.....cobras are gone, lil springy feeling (which makes sense)and not wanting to reshaft
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,196 ClubWRX
    Kmac wrote:

Kmac wrote:

Sir, you have issues, lol. Anyone who knows me, like Gio, is laughing while reading that haha. These will be something like my 5 or 6th set this year.

Have never hit the $ Taper but that sounds like a nice combo. Certainly looks good. I am a little leery of the $ Taper only because I find the C Taper to be pretty stout. I play that one in Reg-plus instead of stiff or just get C Taper Lites in stiff. The Forged Tec/$ Taper combo sure gets a lot of raves.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
    dmeeksDC wrote:

Kmac wrote:

Kmac wrote:

Have never hit the $ Taper but that sounds like a nice combo. Certainly looks good. I am a little leery of the $ Taper only because I find the C Taper to be pretty stout. I play that one in Reg-plus instead of stiff or just get C Taper Lites in stiff. The Forged Tec/$ Taper combo sure gets a lot of raves.

IMO the $ taper have a soft profile, the combo is amazing for sure, easy to hit draws for me. They almost feel soft to flex compared to s300 an c taper lites, they are nothing like c tapers thats for sure. They feel more like a nippon modus tour to me, great shafts, perform very well and dispersion is great
    russian7 wrote:

dmeeksDC wrote:

Kmac wrote:

Kmac wrote:

Well mine arrive Wednesday and I'm pretty excited to get them in hand. No idea when I'll actuakky hit them tho as it's pretty cold and weather has not been good.

IMO the $ taper have a soft profile, the combo is amazing for sure, easy to hit draws for me. They almost feel soft to flex compared to s300 an c taper lites, they are nothing like c tapers thats for sure. They feel more like a nippon modus tour to me, great shafts, perform very well and dispersion is great

Totally agree. I got the $ Tapers in reg+ and they feel great so far in these heads.
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,170 ClubWRX
    Anyone try and retro loft these? Wondering how many degrees weak would take out the offset and would increase spin. Would this be bad for the bounce?

I love the look of these
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW747V 4-PW - Modus 105
    COBRA Pur 50/54/58
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 469 ClubWRX
    Still enjoying my VL with $-Taper 125s and just ordered the OL 5 & 6 Irons with $-Tapers as well, since they were 30% on the Black Friday and free shipping.

Just wondering if playing 5-7 in OL might be more consistent for me and keep the VL in the rest as I am very happy with them.

Rox

Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
  • eddiebigeddieeddiebigeddie Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    roxald wrote:
    Still enjoying my VL with $-Taper 125s and just ordered the OL 5 & 6 Irons with $-Tapers as well, since they were 30% on the Black Friday and free shipping.

Just wondering if playing 5-7 in OL might be more consistent for me and keep the VL in the rest as I am very happy with them.

Rox

I didn’t this exact thing....5-6 OL and then 7-Gw in Variable length. Works great for me.
    Cobra F9...….…………………..Aldila Tour Blue 65
    Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)…......…Project X HZRDUS Red 75
    Cobra F7 Hybrid (20.5).........….Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM (5 - Gw)…Project X LZ 6.5
    Cobra King Black (54/10)......….Project X LZ 6.5
    Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10)........KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (Damascus)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (303 Stainless-Naked)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Fixer (303 Stainless-Torched)[/background]

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,597 ✭✭

roxald wrote:

Rox

I didn’t this exact thing....5-6 OL and then 7-Gw in Variable length. Works great for me.

Waiting for my 4-7 OL F8s as well. If the flight is ok I see no downside to this especially if a guy doesn't struggle with the short irons.
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 469 ClubWRX
    roxald wrote:

Rox

I’m excited-any issues with stopping in the 5 & 6 OL compared to the VL on the greens?

For the investment of two additional clubs, it offers a good trial period to compare without buying an extra set of OL.

I think I could game a OL 8 iron, but 9 into the wedges just seem too long and I’m not a big fan of the higher ballflight on the OL wedges given the windy conditions I play in quite often.

Rox
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5