Newbie question about a broken shaft on 3 wood

MetrocruiserMetrocruiser Members Posts: 20
Hi all,

I have a Tour edge exotic XCG 3 3 wood with what I thought was a good job on a shortened shaft.

It was bought from a sports consignment store far far away from me. 1st time on the range it hit the 1st ball quite well over 200 yards.

2nd swing and it felt quite lighter as the head went flying 75 yards down the range.

It did not actually break but rather just flew off. I then discovered it was a hack job of a shaft change.

The shaft is an aldila NV 75 hybrid shaft. It is tapered and wobbles inside the hosel when I put it back into the club head.

Even if I cut the tip it will still only have 1 point of contact and it could set crooked. And may become over stiff.

So onto my question. I have just figured out That there are tapered and parallel shafts. This one and the 2 others I bought off a guy today from Craigslist and he said they will work on the club head I showed him. I am thinking it won't and I will need to source a parallel shaft????

I'm not too worried about the aldila NV 75 42" and MFS Orange crush 42" as my older 3 and 5 woods look like they will be able to mate together after using the caliper measuring tool.

Please enlighten me, I've been googling a lot and cannot seem to get the right hits.

Thanks

Ping G5 Stiff 9*
Jazz 3W 15* Aldila 75 S
Ben Hogan Rescue 21*
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-GW
Ben Ross Soft Feel Wedges 52*, 56*, 60*
TM Ghost Spider Putter

A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether.

Comments

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,468 ✭✭
    Taper tip shafts is only for irons and wedge, and some Hybrid clubs, all in .355 tip size.

Drivers and woods uses .335 paralell, but there is also some .350 woods out there.

I never worked with the actual head, but its most likely .335, so it sounds like someone grinded the tip down more than they should.

If we want to use a 335 shaft in a 350 head, or a 355 taper in a 370 head, we use a small brass shim to fill up the difference, so unless the tip on your shaft is broken, it might be put together with a shim for a tighter fit to the hosel
  • MetrocruiserMetrocruiser Members Posts: 20
    Thank you, your reply really helped me get my head around it all.

Ping G5 Stiff 9*
    Jazz 3W 15* Aldila 75 S
    Ben Hogan Rescue 21*
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-GW
    Ben Ross Soft Feel Wedges 52*, 56*, 60*
    TM Ghost Spider Putter

A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether.