Newbie question about a broken shaft on 3 wood

Metrocruiser ·  
MetrocruiserMetrocruiser Canada 25WRX Points: 22Handicap: 15Members Posts: 25 Bunkers
Hi all,

I have a Tour edge exotic XCG 3 3 wood with what I thought was a good job on a shortened shaft.

It was bought from a sports consignment store far far away from me. 1st time on the range it hit the 1st ball quite well over 200 yards.

2nd swing and it felt quite lighter as the head went flying 75 yards down the range.

It did not actually break but rather just flew off. I then discovered it was a hack job of a shaft change.

The shaft is an aldila NV 75 hybrid shaft. It is tapered and wobbles inside the hosel when I put it back into the club head.

Even if I cut the tip it will still only have 1 point of contact and it could set crooked. And may become over stiff.

So onto my question. I have just figured out That there are tapered and parallel shafts. This one and the 2 others I bought off a guy today from Craigslist and he said they will work on the club head I showed him. I am thinking it won't and I will need to source a parallel shaft????

I'm not too worried about the aldila NV 75 42" and MFS Orange crush 42" as my older 3 and 5 woods look like they will be able to mate together after using the caliper measuring tool.

Please enlighten me, I've been googling a lot and cannot seem to get the right hits.

Thanks

Posted:
Ping G5 Stock Stiff 9*
Tour EE 3W 15* Aldila 75 S
Adams Red Hybrid 20*
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-GW
SM5 Wedges 54*, 58*, 62*
TM Ghost Spider Putter

A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether.

Comments

• Howard_JonesHoward_Jones  10375WRX Points: 1,475Members Posts: 10,375 Titanium Tees
    Taper tip shafts is only for irons and wedge, and some Hybrid clubs, all in .355 tip size.

Drivers and woods uses .335 paralell, but there is also some .350 woods out there.

I never worked with the actual head, but its most likely .335, so it sounds like someone grinded the tip down more than they should.

If we want to use a 335 shaft in a 350 head, or a 355 taper in a 370 head, we use a small brass shim to fill up the difference, so unless the tip on your shaft is broken, it might be put together with a shim for a tighter fit to the hosel
    Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MetrocruiserMetrocruiser Canada 25WRX Points: 22Handicap: 15Members Posts: 25 Bunkers
    Thank you, your reply really helped me get my head around it all.

Posted:
    Ping G5 Stock Stiff 9*
    Tour EE 3W 15* Aldila 75 S
    Adams Red Hybrid 20*
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-GW
    SM5 Wedges 54*, 58*, 62*
    TM Ghost Spider Putter

A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.