Sunglasses - do you use them on the course ?

Comments

• BearinthewoodsBearinthewoods ClubWRX Posts: 181 ClubWRX
    I do mostly when walking and putting, but not when hitting other shots. Don't know about others but my depth perception gets all screwy and hit fat shots.

I wear oakley radarlocks w/ golf przm or the infield prizms on sunnier days.
    Driver; Ping G400 8.5* LST, Oban Devotion 65 06
    Fairway: Titleist 910 FD 15* Aldila Rip 80x
    Irons: Miura CB 57 Project X6.5 5-PW, Titleist TMB 4 & 3 w/ UST Recoil 125X Protos
    Wedges: Miura K grind 52*, 56*, 60* & Ping 2.0 Glide stealth wedges
    Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee 6
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members Posts: 183 ✭✭

Does Oakley have a pair of Prism that won’t make you look like a futuristic ****? Their website is clunky...

Yes, the Holbrook.

However, the Holbrook isn't available in Prizm Golf. Like myphriendmike, I not a big fan of the standard "Oakley look". I went to the store intending to buy either the Crossrange, Mainlink or Targetline models as they are the only models that are available with the Prizm Golf lens that have "standard" frames. I ended up getting the Flak Draft as they were the best fitting to my face and under a hat, as well as the fact that I ended up liking the fact that they wrapped around and had no bottom or side frame to block my vision.

I still hate how they look and don't wear them anywhere but on the golf course. But, I've always judged any equipment that I've bought (for any sport) based on its functionality, rather than its appearance. So, I decided to apply that same logic to my golf sunglasses.
  • chocolate_rehabchocolate_rehab plays like a girl Members Posts: 993 ✭✭
    However, the Holbrook isn't available in Prizm Golf.

It is, it's the frame I wear with golf prizm lenses.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* I VA Composites Drago 55
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* 3w I Accra FX 2.0
    Ping G410 20* hybrid I Accra FX 2.0
    Ping G410 23* hybrid I Accra FX 2.0
    PXG 0311XF 5-GW I Steelfiber i80s
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES I Steelfiber i95r
    Edel Columbia Custom

Stop comparing your swing, speed, and distances to LPGA players. It's embarrassing for everyone.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,109 ✭✭

Does Oakley have a pair of Prism that won’t make you look like a futuristic ****? Their website is clunky...

Yes, the Holbrook.

What's this **** look spoken about? I probably wear them, not that I care. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • myspinonitmyspinonit Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭
    For sure sunglasses are important for eye protection, not just real bright days on the course.

I've had a couple of sets of Oakley lenses. The golf ones really do seem to help with definition on the greens. A couple of times playing partners tried mine on and were surprised at the difference from naked reyeor their own sunglasses.

Now using Prizm Golf (rose colour) ones on the recommendation of an Oakley store rep when I went in to replace some scratched ones. Seem to work in all light conditions, so I don't change them as I did some others.

A bonus with the tint is I'm always looking through rose- coloured lenses on the course when my game isn't up to snuff. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> Seriously though, I don't really even think of the tint other than when I look in a mirror. Preet sure these aren't polarized.
    Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping G400 SFT 3 wood 16° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping Ping G 7 wood 20.5° Alta 65
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
    Vokey SM06: 50.08F, 54.08M, 58.08M Steelfiber i80
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34”

However, the Holbrook isn't available in Prizm Golf.

It is, it's the frame I wear with golf prizm lenses.
    Then the Oakley website must be wrong (or the combination is discontinued). Prizm golf doesnt show as a lens option when you search on Holbrook. And when you filter on Prizm Golf lens, Holbrook doesn't show up as a model that has them.

myspinonit wrote:
    For sure sunglasses are important for eye protection, not just real bright days on the course.

I've had a couple of sets of Oakley lenses. The golf ones really do seem to help with definition on the greens. A couple of times playing partners tried mine on and were surprised at the difference from naked reyeor their own sunglasses.

Now using Prizm Golf (rose colour) ones... Preet sure these aren't polarized.

That's correct. They aren't.
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,053 ✭✭
    Geez wrote:

I'm 59 and I have already had 2 cataracts removed. The sun is a major cause of these. Doctor says I will get more if I don't wear sunglasses. The sun is brutal on the eyes. It can also promote macular degeneration which causes blindness. Protect your eyes!!

A cataract is your lens clouding over. Once you have cataract surgery and have your lens replaced with an artificial lens, it is not possible to get cataracts again. You might have other issues, but cataracts wouldn't be one of them.
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,053 ✭✭
    I wear flak 2.0 with prizm golf RX lenses. I specially ordered the lenses in the standard shape (non XL). They fit my face better. They are basically the same size lens as the XL without the pointy corners. Is this the look people are complaining about?
  • Sanders74Sanders74 Members Posts: 273
    A must have for Me on sunny days not on cloudy days
    Ping G 9*
    Ping G 15*
    Ping G 19* hybrid
    Vokey SM6 46,50,56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Custom shop
    716 AP2's
    Best Ball most recently found. : )
    yall need to lose more AVX!
  • SkeoughSkeough Flip it! Flip it! Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Currently using Oakley Prisms and love them. Unless it cloudy ill be wearing them, even then i occasionally toss them on for a read or two
    PGA of Canada Class A -> BC
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* -> HZRDDUS Black Smoke 6.5 & Tour AD BB 7X
    Callaway Epic Flash 18* HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.5
    Callaway X Forged UT 18* -> DG TI X100
    Callaway Apex MB 6-PW/ X Forged 4/5 -> DG TI X100
    Callaway MD4 50S/56X/60C -> DG IT S400
    Toulon Design San Diago
    Chrome Soft X
  • PrntscrnPrntscrn Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    edited Jul 5, 2018 #133

Yes, the Holbrook.

However, the Holbrook isn't available in Prizm Golf. Like myphriendmike, I not a big fan of the standard "Oakley look". I went to the store intending to buy either the Crossrange, Mainlink or Targetline models as they are the only models that are available with the Prizm Golf lens that have "standard" frames. I ended up getting the Flak Draft as they were the best fitting to my face and under a hat, as well as the fact that I ended up liking the fact that they wrapped around and had no bottom or side frame to block my vision.

I still hate how they look and don't wear them anywhere but on the golf course. But, I've always judged any equipment that I've bought (for any sport) based on its functionality, rather than its appearance. So, I decided to apply that same logic to my golf sunglasses.

Just quoting this "randomly" since I have a pair of Holbrook with the Prizm Sapphire lens. What's the difference between those regular lenses and the prizm golf lens?
    Prntscrn wrote:

Yes, the Holbrook.

Just quoting this "randomly" since I have a pair of Holbrook with the Prizm Sapphire lens. What's the difference between those regular lenses and the prizm golf lens?

Prizm Sapphire is part of their "Daily" (non-sport specific) collection of lenses. These lenses all have the same tint. They just have a different color on the outside of the lens. According to SportRX

For everyday use, the PRIZM Daily lenses will maximize contrast and enhance visibility so you can have an experience that is relaxing and pleasing to the eye throughout all your day’s activities. See what you’ve been missing every day.

KEY BENEFITS OF OAKLEY PRIZM DAILY LENSES:

– Deeper reds

– Enhanced blue sky

– Blooming hues of green

– HDPolarized lenses that block 99% of reflected glare

Prizm Golf lenses are part of the "Sport" collection of lenses. According to the same website:

Sport-Specific PRIZM Lenses

There are PRIZM lenses for Snow, Golf, Road, Trail, Baseball Infield, Baseball Outfield, Golf, Fishing, and Daily. The mad scientists at Oakley have tested these sporting environments, and from there, created a lens option to see the perfect colors in those environment. The improved color contrasts creates drastic improvement in visual experiences, which results in enhanced performance while you do the things you love. On a high level, the lenses enhance the colors you need to see for maximum sport performance and filter out the rest. Here’s a look at how these game-changing lenses function per sport.

PRIZM Golf

PRIZM Golf lenses allow a golfer to see the changes in texture and the different greens so they can recognize where the rough begins and the green ends. Gauge distance and grass conditions better than ever when hitting the course in a pair of Oakley PRIZM Golf Sunglasses.

KEY BENEFITS OF OAKLEY PRIZM GOLF LENSES:

– Helps you spot grass textures you might otherwise miss

– Improves contrast between changes in the greens, therefore helping you spot fairways/fringe/rough transitions
  • PrntscrnPrntscrn Members Posts: 124 ✭✭

Prntscrn wrote:

Yes, the Holbrook.

Prizm Sapphire is part of their "Daily" (non-sport specific) collection of lenses. These lenses all have the same tint. They just have a different color on the outside of the lens. According to SportRX

For everyday use, the PRIZM Daily lenses will maximize contrast and enhance visibility so you can have an experience that is relaxing and pleasing to the eye throughout all your day’s activities. See what you’ve been missing every day.

KEY BENEFITS OF OAKLEY PRIZM DAILY LENSES:

– Deeper reds

– Enhanced blue sky

– Blooming hues of green

– HDPolarized lenses that block 99% of reflected glare

Prizm Golf lenses are part of the "Sport" collection of lenses. According to the same website:

Sport-Specific PRIZM Lenses

There are PRIZM lenses for Snow, Golf, Road, Trail, Baseball Infield, Baseball Outfield, Golf, Fishing, and Daily. The mad scientists at Oakley have tested these sporting environments, and from there, created a lens option to see the perfect colors in those environment. The improved color contrasts creates drastic improvement in visual experiences, which results in enhanced performance while you do the things you love. On a high level, the lenses enhance the colors you need to see for maximum sport performance and filter out the rest. Here’s a look at how these game-changing lenses function per sport.

PRIZM Golf

PRIZM Golf lenses allow a golfer to see the changes in texture and the different greens so they can recognize where the rough begins and the green ends. Gauge distance and grass conditions better than ever when hitting the course in a pair of Oakley PRIZM Golf Sunglasses.

KEY BENEFITS OF OAKLEY PRIZM GOLF LENSES:

– Helps you spot grass textures you might otherwise miss

– Improves contrast between changes in the greens, therefore helping you spot fairways/fringe/rough transitions

Thanks man. I was looking at the Oakley website the other day but didn't really fid what I was looking for.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 947 ✭✭
    So are the PRIZM lenses polarized or not? I generally really like polarized lenses, even for golf. The only times I have found them to be an issue is if you are trying to find a ball in the rough. You don't pick up the "shine" or glare off the ball in the grass. I will often pop the glasses off to look for balls in the rough, which for me, is unfortunately pretty often.

Is anybody able to compare the PRIZM golf lenses against the regular PRIZM lenses? Much of a difference?
    smashdn wrote:

So are the PRIZM lenses polarized or not? I generally really like polarized lenses, even for golf. The only times I have found them to be an issue is if you are trying to find a ball in the rough. You don't pick up the "shine" or glare off the ball in the grass. I will often pop the glasses off to look for balls in the rough, which for me, is unfortunately pretty often.

Is anybody able to compare the PRIZM golf lenses against the regular PRIZM lenses? Much of a difference?

Some PRIZM lenses are polarized. Some are not. The PRIZM Golf lenses are not. While glare may make it more difficult to find a ball, apparently Oakley believes that some level of glare makes it easier to read greens than you can with a polarized lens.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    Nope. I can't do it. I also don't wear sunglasses like 99% of the time anyway. I hate being able to see the actual brightness with my peripheral vision, and knowing what I'm seeing through the lens is darkened. It messes with me mentally, and I can't judge distances for ****.
  • PilgrimPilgrim Members Posts: 63
    I wear Oakley prizms. More to keep my hayfever at bay. Feel a bit try hard wearing them but much better than sneezing on everyones back swings.

Normal sunglasses make green reading really difficult. The oakleys draw the green colours out.
    PXG 0811 9.0
    Ping G30 3 wood
    Miura CB57 3-PW
    Miura 51, 56, 59
    Scotty Newport 2
  • Geaux GatorsGeaux Gators GEAUX GATORS Members Posts: 3,771 ✭✭
    I like sunglasses, but I find that I fog them up so bad that i have to take them off, then I get sweat and fingerprints all overthem, and my OCD kicks in and I just get frustrated with them
    Ping G400 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 7X Little +
    Ping G400 16* hybrid UST Recoil ES80F4
    Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
    Ping i500 4-W Green Dot KBS Tour Stiff hard stepped 1
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
    Ping Sigma2 Tyne
    OnCore Elixr
  • studatnustudatnu Members Posts: 1,203 ✭✭
    Oakley Flak Jackets...
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
    Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
    Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki ZT 63g Stiff
    TaylorMade UDI 20* w/ Recoil 110 Stiff
    TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
    TaylorMade XFT 54*, 60*
    Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
    TaylorMade Lethal
  • BoulderAvBoulderAv Members Posts: 12
    edited Jul 7, 2018 #142
    I wear glasses so it is either my prescription sunglasses or my normal ones most of the time. On the occasions I wear contacts I have a non prescription pair. The Colorado sun is brutal and it is very sunny so they stay on. Both are “fashion” sunglasses but work completely fine (prescriptions are Persols and Normal are Zeals).
  • HercNavHercNav Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I wear either dark black polarized Oakley Flak Jackets or flak 2.0’s in golf prizm dark (though those don’t leave my locker; I don’t feel like looking like a wiener in public)
  • KylemckKylemck Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    I have a pair i throw in my cart but i never seem to wear them. i actually hae a pair of new nike tailwinds iv never used, if your interested in them drop me a message
  • JayMattJayMatt Members Posts: 92
    Cant play without them. I have a pair of Brown lens Maui Jims. A guy who worked in the optical industry mentioned to me once that polarized lens are bad for seeing breaks in greens and sometimes your better off with a cheaper pair that just adds contrast.
  • goosekee2goosekee2 Clarion, IowaMembers Posts: 177 ✭✭
    Not anymore. I used to wear my Oakleys every round but not anymore. My hat was never able to be worn normal with my sunglasses so I stopped wearing them. Some times I wish I had them but make do without the shades.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5
    Cobra F7 3 Wood
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 Iron
    Nike Vapor Speed 4-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54*
    Titleit Vokey SM7 60*
    Scotty Cameron Golo 5
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 430 ✭✭
    I wear my sunglasses while I'm on the course, but I flip them on top of my hat when I hit the ball. Strange huh? I was never able to hit with sunglasses on.
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Newport Platinum Putter
    Taylormade TP5 Golf balls
  • whynotgolfwhynotgolf Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    mfm22 wrote:

Silly question but I never felt comfortable with sunglasses on the course - I now realize they are important in protecting eyes from sun damage

My regular day to day sunglasses just don't seem like they would stay put while swinging -

Any recommendations for a good fitting , light weight , polarized sunglasses suitable for golf is most welcome image/blind.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blind:' />

Not silly...sun does serious damage over time...just look at a lot of older tour players, eyes are affected as much as skin.

Granted they spend a great deal more time out there than the avg. weekend golfer, but I say protect what you can protect.

Sunglasses for golf have come a long way.

This is a pretty good resource for basic info....https://sportrx.com/blog/best-golf-sunglasses-2017/

I just retired a pair of Smith Optics...excellent sunglasses, but the lenses were shot. to the point that I found myself taking them off a lot when putting.

I just found the Nike Golf X2 for a great price online...I wish the Nike logo were a little smaller, but they are great...I play the entire round with them on.

I'd like a pair of polarized lenses which these are not (the Smith Optics were), but more for driving than golf.
  • regiwstrukregiwstruk Members Posts: 580 ✭✭
    N8dogg2669 wrote:

I can't play golf without sunglasses, **** I can't go outside without sunglasses. My eyes just can't handle it. I have multiple pairs of Oakley Sliver sunglasses with polarized lenses. I never really had an issue with reading greens with the polarized, but I recently switched to Electric Knoxville sunglasses with the Rose lenses. It's amazing. The depth and ability to see grain is really nice. Couldn't believe what I was missing out on.

Also really impressed with Electric California and the Rose Ohm+. After a couple months with them, they challenge the Prizm for technology and I still cannot believe that they don't slip in 100deg Texas heat. I've been on this quest for like 10 years and finally found something that works and works well.
  • purerollpureroll Members Posts: 263 ✭✭
    For those of you that cant wear them or wont.......sunglasses are important for eye protection, I'm 55 been playing for 40 years with them on. I have perfect vision at my age, my last eye exam at the eye doctor, he said my vision is great for my age and says sunglasses are part of the reason. Keep playing without them means you will be wearing glasses later in life. my 2 cents.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,176 ClubWRX
    pureroll wrote:

For those of you that cant wear them or wont.......sunglasses are important for eye protection, I'm 55 been playing for 40 years with them on. I have perfect vision at my age, my last eye exam at the eye doctor, he said my vision is great for my age and says sunglasses are part of the reason. Keep playing without them means you will be wearing glasses later in life. my 2 cents.

I hear you. A lot of excuses within these 140 odd posts. Some absurd and most frivolous. No real good reasons to not try and protect your eyes at all times.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize