Jimmy Walker admits to regularly breaking rule of golf on Twitter

deasy55

What do people think of the twitter trail? (view the comments to see Jimmy's posts)

In summary, he admits to not marking a ball when it may assist players he likes. He also says he often asks the other player whether he would like him to leave his ball. Currently the rules clearly state that the penalty is disqualification for this if the other player agrees.

I'm sure this is rampant on tour, but to admit to it in writing is not the smartest thing Jimmy will ever do.

In the trail he also tells Michael Clayton, a former professional golfer that played in 9 Open Championships, that golf is hard and he should "try it sometime".

Twitter is ripping Jimmy to shreds because of this

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do people think of the twitter trail? (view the comments to see Jimmy's posts)

In summary, he admits to not marking a ball when it may assist players he likes. He also says he often asks the other player whether he would like him to leave his ball. Currently the rules clearly state that the penalty is disqualification for this if the other player agrees.

I'm sure this is rampant on tour, but to admit to it in writing is not the smartest thing Jimmy will ever do.

https://twitter.com/...8763453452?s=19

In the trail he also tells Michael Clayton, a former professional golfer that played in 9 Open Championships, that golf is hard and he should "try it sometime".

Twitter is ripping Jimmy to shreds because of this

OMG, Walker's wife (I think) is on their arguing also, gimme a f'n break....

Stand up for your man.....lmao.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Say it ain't so....getting ripped on Twitter....

Per tourney wonder how much this "advantage" comes up in total....also would have to get both parties to fess up so they could accept a penalty...good luck with that.

As far as when it actually works, almost 0% , which is why I don't really care. As far as how often this situation happens, almost 100% of the time I'd guess. Jimmy has nothing to fear, this is no secret to the tour. Will only change if somehow a major or something is determined by it, which in theory could happen someday, but that's pretty insane thinking. Or even better, just go to where a ball can't be moved at all and bring the stymie back. Ha, it's always something.

There will likely be 20 pages on this one. I have no problem with it. The guys are aiming at the hole which is 4.25" wide and rarely hit it. What are the odds they are going to aim at and hit a 1.68" object? There are likely tons of things guys have done over the years which are commonly accepted ("Hey, I've got a ball mark here" or "My balls scuffed. I'm going to replace it." Nobody looks and just nods or says "OK.").

Sort of like your boss saying, "It's 9:01. I'm docking you a days pay!!"

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I bet you he marks his ball when he plays with DJ.

Why? Do they have beef?

Nevermind, I just did some research.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

A strange admission, but under R22 is a player actually required to lift his ball? The wording there is "may" not "must" and unless he doesn't lift when asked and there is no agreement to waive the rule, I'm not sure what there is to penalize.

Is a rule actually being broken?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Hahahaha. I can’t believe Walker just posted that in a public forum: “I’ve asked, ‘do you want me to leave the ball?’”. If he Other player says yes or nods and you’re both DQ’d. I wonder if that Lyme disease damaged his Brian cells.

I have to admit, this is a weird one as far as the responses here goes. I absolutely can not believe anyone is OK with this practice.

To me it is unequivocally cheating.

How TF does it help his "friend"?

If the second player hits his ball too hard and the first players ball stops it, or slows it down, and his ball ends up closer to the hole than it would have been if it had not hit the first players ball, it is a huge advantage.

It happens more often than people think. There are lots of video examples of it. The problem with it is, the second player recieves an unfair benefit and the first player is not penalized because he is simply required to replace his ball as near to its original spot as possible.

Players have deliberately been leaving their balls near the hole to help other players for years now. 20 years ago you NEVER saw this. It started quietly in the last decade or so with buddies helping buddies and now nearly all of them do it as a type of “courtesy” to the other player. If you go up and mark your ball these days, as you are SUPPOSED TO DO, you are looked at by the other guys like a jerk.

If he'd gone with the 'speeds up play' angle then no issue, but openly saying that he does not mark the ball for players he likes and not for players he does not like may be bluntly honest but brings the integrity of the game into question.

Then goes for the classic pro line when questioned 'if you played you'd know' to a 20 year Tour Pro.

smh

If he'd gone with the 'speeds up play' angle then no issue, but openly saying that he does not mark the ball for players he likes and not for players he does not like may be bluntly honest but brings the integrity of the game into question.

Then goes for the classic pro line when questioned 'if you played you'd know' to a 20 year old Tour Pro.

smh

Yes. That little exchange with Michael was classic. He played pro golf for 2 decades. That’s EXACTLY why he has the right to question the practice. LOL!!

It reads to me as though JW didn't know that was a rules infraction. Hard to say for sure but just reading between the lines in his response to Clayton. He's going to wish he never commented on the subject.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

It reads to me as though JW didn't know that was a rules infraction. Hard to say for sure but just reading between the lines in his response to Clayton. He's going to wish he never commented on the subject.

You know what? I was thinking the same thing. Why on earth would you say such a thing to a world audience unless you didn’t understand the severity of what you were saying?

He and everyone else has been doing it so long that maybe he doesn’t understand it’s a problem.

Hahahaha. I can’t believe Walker just posted that in a public forum: “I’ve asked, ‘do you want me to leave the ball?’”. If he Other player says yes or nods and you’re both DQ’d. I wonder if that Lyme disease damaged his Brian cells.

I have to admit, this is a weird one as far as the responses here goes. I absolutely can not believe anyone is OK with this practice.

Brian cells? Is this like when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor?

Walker obviously doesn't have a clue who Mike Clayton is and cant be expexted to its a big world out there but as mentioned Clayton played many majors and golf worldwide for 20 years and been a very successful course designer and renovator in partnership with Geoff Ogilvy in Australia.

Now for something ironic- Walker played in the world cup in 2016 at Kingston Heath in Melbourne, one of his few visits outside of the USA other than to play The Open and shock horror Clayton had a hand in designing the 19th hole a few other course changes.

Brian cells? Is this like when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor?

Wink, wink. ; )

.....and hell no! It ain’t over till WE say it’s over!!

How TF does it help his "friend"?

If the second player hits his ball too hard and the first players ball stops it, or slows it down, and his ball ends up closer to the hole than it would have been if it had not hit the first players ball, it is a huge advantage.

It happens more often than people think. There are lots of video examples of it. The problem with it is, the second player recieves an unfair benefit and the first player is not penalized because he is simply required to replace his ball as near to its original spot as possible.

Players have deliberately been leaving their balls near the hole to help other players for years now. 20 years ago you NEVER saw this. It started quietly in the last decade or so with buddies helping buddies and now nearly all of them do it as a type of "courtesy" to the other player. If you go up and mark your ball these days, as you are SUPPOSED TO DO, you are looked at by the other guys like a jerk.

Post a couple please!

I see it happen on par 3's and shots from the fairways, but rarely around the green.