Tiger's Wedge Grooves - right on the edge of legal

Comments

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,268 ✭✭
    Either grooves are legal or they are not. There's no such thing as "on the edge" or almost illegal. Why would a company make a wedge that wasn't? Would a company make grooves that are "the most legal grooves" and give you a grooves club?
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 2,985 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

Either grooves are legal or they are not. There's no such thing as "on the edge" or almost illegal. Why would a company make a wedge that wasn't? Would a company make grooves that are "the most legal grooves" and give you a grooves club?

"Among other things, the rules reduce the maximum volume of the grooves on irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods. The rules also place a limitation on the sharpness of groove edges on irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods with lofts of 25 degrees or higher." (USGA.org)

So, in theory, you attempt to make the grooves as close to the maximum volume as possible and as sharp as possible, without crossing the legal limit.

That would be approaching "the edge" of legal. Obviously. Otherwise why wouldn't guys just use dull, old wedges? They want to be as close to the legal limit as possible.

It's similar to getting your driver as close to the COR limit as possible. Of course guys want the hottest COR possible. It's not just about legal or not legal.

You could have 2 legal clubs but one could have way sharper grooves, etc.

Guys will always look for "an edge". Just as in race car driving...your car specs are going to be right on the legal limits. Of course.
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,462 ✭✭

Holy Moses wrote:

I remember someone saying that they thought the grooves on either Tiger's irons or wedges looked more tightly spaced than what we've seen in other irons. That was just a poster eyeballing them, but yeah there's that.

All Nike heads had the extra grooves. So did Callaway for ever. Razr X. X forged etc. from 2010 up.

Not extra grooves in and of themselves (like Phil’s current LW), but the spacing between each groove seemed to be tighter to the naked eye
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,471 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

The groove limits are physical measurements. For mass produced clubs the manufacturers likely have to be conservative and design them with mechanical tolerances in mind. For special touring pros that get hand crafted wedges, they may be more aggressive such that the groves are much closer to the legal limit than the retail version (same goes for driver COR). So yes they are legal, but certain grooves could certainly be closer to what is allowable
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,286 ✭✭

lowheel wrote:

padraig harrington was doing this for years...

https://www.golfchan...sneaky-****/

Not the same. Paddy had every other iron cut with box grooves or similar. That way he essentially had more irons. Some would spin back. Some release. But that's before they were illegal. Only same if tigers were illegal now. You cant cut a groove any more close to legal than some retail grooves are now. Ever play a Vega or yuyuri wedge ? You get pieces of ball cover in every pitch shot in between the grooves. And they are legal.

If tigers are that sharp I'd be shocked , but so what if they are. It isn't a rarity on tour. And certainly not something Rory couldn't have if he wanted.
    Believe it or not you can do the same thing with Wishon PCF wedges and they are legal--- Tom verified that himself to me via e mail
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,286 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

I remember someone saying that they thought the grooves on either Tiger's irons or wedges looked more tightly spaced than what we've seen in other irons. That was just a poster eyeballing them, but yeah there's that.

All Nike heads had the extra grooves. So did Callaway for ever. Razr X. X forged etc. from 2010 up.

Not extra grooves in and of themselves (like Phil's current LW), but the spacing between each groove seemed to be tighter to the naked eye
    Yep the 2013 X forged the retail version had 10 grooves and the tour version had 13. But then so did the Wilson R-90 sand wedges
    edited Jun 10, 2018 #38
    BIG STU wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Not extra grooves in and of themselves (like Phil's current LW), but the spacing between each groove seemed to be tighter to the naked eye
    Yep the 2013 X forged the retail version had 10 grooves and the tour version had 13. But then so did the Wilson R-90 sand wedges

I’m not familiar with the USGA rule on this (as you can tell), but you’re saying that OEMs could put less space between grooves if they wanted to and most aren’t going to the limit even with their wedges? I’m assuming that would make for more spin and less distance? 10 vs 13 grooves doesn’t necessarily mean the grooves are more tightly packed in. For instance, Ping just recently added a groove to their 56* and 60* wedges without tightening the space between the grooves.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,852 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Not extra grooves in and of themselves (like Phil’s current LW), but the spacing between each groove seemed to be tighter to the naked eye

Tighter between each groove because they added more grooves. So spacin has to tighten.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

Holy Moses wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Tighter between each groove because they added more grooves. So spacin has to tighten.

OK, if that's what happened I get it. But as I said before, other companies are doing that without tightening the spacing.

My question is why aren't more wedges designed with tighter groove spacing.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • 97speedster97speedster Speedster Members Posts: 394 ✭✭
    edited Jun 10, 2018 #41
    Some of you have all the answers and make guys like myself regret posting. I never said anything about Mike at Artisan doing grooves for Tiger, that was assumed when I mentioned Dallas. I have had similar replies to threads before, so I can take the unicorn abuse.
    WITB in 2018
    Driver: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Stage 2 (10.5 degrees)
    Shaft: Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6X
    3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Stage 2 (14.5 degrees)
    Shaft: Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7X
    Hybrid: Srixon U85 (18 degrees)
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100 
    Irons: TaylorMade P-760 (4-PW)
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100  +1/2"
    Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (52.12, 58.12),
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 64.8
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100  +1/2" in 52 & 58; True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S-400 in 64
    Putter:
    Tour Issue Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Lined and Filled 34"
    Grip: Golf Pride Classic Putter Grip
    Golf Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Holy Moses wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

OK, if that's what happened I get it. But as I said before, other companies are doing that without tightening the spacing.

There are rules on how much spacing has to exist between grooves, depending on the depth of the groove.

"so deeper or wider grooves must be farther apart and those closer together cannot be as deep and wide."

http://golftips.golfweek.com/rules-groove-types-golf-clubs-2373.html
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    I don't see a problem. They are legal, so what?
    edited Jun 10, 2018 #44
    I found this from this site's review of the Nike VR Pro and Pro Combo irons: "One of the most obvious differences between these irons and the previous generation is the new grooves. The X3X High-Frequency Grooves are designed to give a cleaner, more consistent ball flight and spin. The idea is that with more grooves closer together and deeper on the clubface, they ensure more control and consistency in all conditions. The manufacturing process involved in this also had the side-effect of improving the tolerances which should lead to greater consistency throughout the set." http://www.golfwrx.c...ro-combo-irons/

Sure seems like Tiger wanted to go back to the groove design of the VR Pros with these irons since they are basically copies. I'm assuming that goes for his wedges too.

Mizuno MP-18s have 12 grooves on their 4 irons. Tiger's TW-PHASE1s have 16. That's a sizable difference. What's a typical 730 or Dustin's 4 iron have as far as grooves compared to Tiger's? I would ask the same question for Tiger's MG wedge vs the other TaylorMade MG wedge grooves.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna

Some of you have all the answers and make guys like myself regret posting. I never said anything about Mike at Artisan doing grooves for Tiger, that was assumed when I mentioned Dallas. I have had similar replies to threads before, so I can take the unicorn abuse.

Here is another Tiger unicorn story.... believe it or not, but he is staying on his yacht this week during US Open and he told me that himself image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />.

My comment about his wedges being soaked in unicorn blood was just a joke, based on the lore around Tiger's clubs forever.

I don't know why you would take it personally. It wasn't directed at your post.

Appreciate the insight on his wedges---I think it's a cool story.
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,354 ✭✭
    edited Jun 10, 2018 #46
    Holy Moses wrote:

I think it's a tradeoff: more grooves but narrow grooves vs. wider/less grooves. Ping wedges used to have (maybe still do) a couple different groove configurations depending on what wedge and it's primary intended use.

Regarding the claim for Tigers wedges, I don't understand why some here think the idea is so outlandish. It's certainly doable and there are tools available which can measure the edge radius so a guy working with a deburring tool can inch up to the required radius a little at a time.
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Holy Moses wrote:

There are rules on how much spacing has to exist between grooves, depending on the depth of the groove.

"so deeper or wider grooves must be farther apart and those closer together cannot be as deep and wide."

http://golftips.golf...clubs-2373.html

Interesting. So an iron or a wedge that has more grooves but not as deep of a groove should do what to the ball differently than a more stock club?

The WRX review says that the VR Pros X3X grooves are more tightly spaced AND deeper.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,391 ✭✭
    TW get Commando 450

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,354 ✭✭
    Golf Mechanix sells a few different tools for measuring grooves. To someone of Tiger wealth even the $35k tool is nothing...http://www.golfmechanix.com/Items.asp?Pdts=search
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
    Holy Moses wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

http://golftips.golf...clubs-2373.html

Interesting. So an iron or a wedge that has more grooves but not as deep of a groove should do what to the ball differently than a more stock club?

The WRX review says that the VR Pros X3X grooves are more tightly spaced AND deeper.

I'm not sure. I think you'd definitely need to talk to an expert/club-maker/tester to know what the exact correlation is between groove number, depth, and spin. Or find some good research online.

As for the VR Pros X3X grooves, that sounds like marketing hype. They may be more tightly spaced and deeper than they were before, but no matter what they have to stay under the legal limit.

I would imagine that all manufacturers are trying to find the perfect balance between grove spacing and depth.
    edited Jun 10, 2018 #51

My comment about his wedges being soaked in unicorn blood was just a joke, based on the lore around Tiger's clubs forever.

I don't know why you would take it personally. It wasn't directed at your post.

Appreciate the insight on his wedges---I think it's a cool story.

Don't take it personally, it wasn't even directed at you.... more at bladehunter who needs an attitude adjustment.
    WITB in 2018
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100  +1/2" in 52 & 58; True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S-400 in 64
    Putter:
    Holy Moses wrote:

I found this from this site's review of the Nike VR Pro and Pro Combo irons: "One of the most obvious differences between these irons and the previous generation is the new grooves. The X3X High-Frequency Grooves are designed to give a cleaner, more consistent ball flight and spin. The idea is that with more grooves closer together and deeper on the clubface, they ensure more control and consistency in all conditions. The manufacturing process involved in this also had the side-effect of improving the tolerances which should lead to greater consistency throughout the set." http://www.golfwrx.c...ro-combo-irons/

Sure seems like Tiger wanted to go back to the groove design of the VR Pros with these irons since they are basically copies. I'm assuming that goes for his wedges too. Someone count the grooves on Tiger's

Mizuno MP-18s have 12 grooves on their 4 irons. Tiger's TW-PHASE1s have 16. That's a sizable difference. What's a typical 730 or Dustin's 4 iron have as far as grooves compared to Tiger's? I would ask the same question for Tiger's MG wedge vs the other TaylorMade MG wedge grooves.

exact same iron .... exact.....lol not go back to ...he literally never left.. The vapor pro he played for a very short amount of events... and obviously didnt like , since he and Rory Dumped them as fast as possible

Im certain you mean me...

It did smack me in the face when i read it .. And i likely did post a little snarky. For that i apologize.. I do not find your posts usually off base at all. But this one is .

It wasnt a big jump to MT at Artisan since thats who obviously built his irons and wedges. It was so clear i wouldnt even call it an assumption... More like an unspoken fact.
  • easylittle5woodeasylittle5wood Members Posts: 1,199 ✭✭
    Most definitely Ft. Worth, not Dallas.
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 772 ✭✭
    Is there a regulation or rule regarding another party cutting grooves into a blank conforming club head? What constitutes conforming wrt to a clubhead? Does it have to be approved grooves and all? Is that a stipulation? What exactly is USGA conforming?

So many questions!
    edited Jun 11, 2018 #56

It did smack me in the face when i read it .. And i likely did post a little snarky. For that i apologize.. I do not find your posts usually off base at all. But this one is .

It wasnt a big jump to MT at Artisan since thats who obviously built his irons and wedges. It was so clear i wouldnt even call it an assumption... More like an unspoken fact.

Thanks and no worries.... I can find out the truth next week after the Open and I am not afraid to eat crow. I did hear this from a credible source, but we will see how credible.... it was in the Grille Room at Winged Foot after a lot of cocktails.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    WITB in 2018
    Putter:
    edited Jun 11, 2018 #57

Is there a regulation or rule regarding another party cutting grooves into a blank conforming club head? What constitutes conforming wrt to a clubhead? Does it have to be approved grooves and all? Is that a stipulation? What exactly is USGA conforming?

So many questions!

As long as the grooves are cut to legal specs then it doesn't matter who cuts them.

https://www.usga.org/rules-hub/grooves.html
    WITB in 2018
    Putter:
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:

padraig harrington was doing this for years...

https://www.golfchan...sneaky-****/

And Harrington was never able to cope with the groove rule change.
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,626 ✭✭

Don't regret posting, I enjoy reading your posts ever since early days of BSG. Some people are naturally skeptical no matter what. That is beauty of different opinions. (I did read later posts).

I did read an article that TM were surprised that he put his Milled Grind wedges in play this quickly.
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 19 & 23 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    Z585 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
    J15CB 4-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 52*, 56* & 60* Modus Wedge 115
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,471 ✭✭

Thanks and no worries.... I can find out the truth next week after the Open and I am not afraid to eat crow. I did hear this from a credible source, but we will see how credible.... it was in the Grille Room at Winged Foot after a lot of cocktails.

Lots of problems caused by belief in stuff heard after a lot of cocktails...or so I've heard.🙊 😀
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji TS 8.0
    Taylormade V Steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • evgolferevgolfer Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    So by "right on the edge of legal," you mean completely legal. Got it.

Next will be hearing his driver is near the max for COR.