How do you feel about "long putter's"...?

 118811 ·  
118811118811  168WRX Points: 75Handicap: 7.8Members Posts: 168 Fairways
Joined:  edited Jun 13, 2018 in Putters #1
Curious how you feel about long putter legality?



After watching Annie Park win today...it just reawoke the dismay about long putter use, for me.



I went thru a bout with the yips about 12-13 yrs back. I told myself I would quit golf before succumbing to the long putter.

I tried lefthand low and various other grips before going left handed putting. It was quite a long transition, but I can honestly say 😀Putting is now the strength of my game!



I really feel the USGA, Royal & Ancient & PGA Tour really f--ked up!



What say you!?
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on
«13
3

Comments

  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1  900WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 900 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #2
    Long putters are fine(as long as they are not anchored).....just not for me. I tried the longer and counter-balanced putters, but I putt better with a short putter...my putter is 30".



    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty  3640WRX Points: 231Members Posts: 3,640 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3
    They did mess up. Anchoring should be allowed.
    Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

    Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter
  • Your-away!Your-away!  922WRX Points: 9Members Posts: 922 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Jun 11, 2018 #4
    Long putters and anchoring shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.



    But as they were allowed they shouldn't have suddenly just decided "you know what actually where going to ban anchoring now", i actually felt sorry for guys like Bradley and Simpson who had always done it.



    Should have always had what the maximum length a putter can be and it would have saved a lot of trouble.



    Watching Langer and Scott at the moment must make other pro's feel uneasy, i know it would me
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    DRIVER:Taylormade M2 (2016) 9.5* - Diamana 60S
    3 WOOD:Taylormade M2 Tour (2017) 17* HL - Diamana 70 S
    HYBRID:Adams Proto DHY 21* - Steelfiber i95 s
    IRONS 4-PW:Taylormade P770 -KBS Tour S 2.0* flat
    GAP WEDGE:Taylormade R Series Satin 51*(52) - KBS Tour S - 2.5* flat
    WEDGES:Titleist SM6 RAW - 56/60 - S300 - 2.5* Flat
    PUTTER:TaylormadeSpider Tour Red - 34"
    BALL:[font=comic sans ms, cursive]Whichever gets bought for me, or found.[/font]
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge  685WRX Points: 90Handicap: 8.0Members Posts: 685 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #5
    Langer is an ATM with that broomstick. Everyone over 50 is uneasy when he's playing that week.

    Scott... not so much.
    Posted:
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt  4796WRX Points: 521Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,796 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6
    I couldnt care about the one way or another. Anchor it, dont anchor it, long putter, short putter, heel shafted blade, UFO on a stick, none of it matters to me. Whatever a person feels comfortable with, use it. I personally cant putt with a long putter (broomstick, belly putter, any of them). I have a 34" heel shafted blade that I love. Just because I dont like them though, doesnt mean others done and that they shouldnt be able to use them.
    Posted:
  • evgolferevgolfer  186WRX Points: 8Members Posts: 186 Bunkers
    Joined:  #7
    Anchoring and long putters never bothered me. It was just a different technique for putting. The player still has to pick the line and judge the speed.



    I know there are lengthy threads on this topic elsewhere, but I always wonder why others find it so off-putting.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Twism86Twism86  463WRX Points: 82Members Posts: 463 Greens
    Joined:  #8
    As long as im not forced to use one, go for it. If it truly provided an unfair advantage (anchored or not) way more people would have made the switch.
    Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370WRX Points: 385Members Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #9
    The industry is merely trying to slow down and prevent the tidal wave going back into the ocean after the surge from the 80"s.



    Changing rules ( including the long putter issue ) is but one being pushed to let more to "enjoy" the game. What they had lost sight was, the game is not like any other game and will never be as popular as other games, time and resources needing to accompany the game is tremendous. The life long pursue of perfection with rules attached to it were part of the charm to engage in the game. Trying to grow the game this way might just kill the goose that lay the golden egg.
    Posted:
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Northern California 2382WRX Points: 412Handicap: 2.0Members Posts: 2,382 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10
    Hated the anchoring. Currently hate the long putter because we’re still having to hear arguments over whether there’s a quarter of an inch between the putter and the body. It’s unfortunate that the USGA tried to split the difference instead of just banning the putter itself; it would have been cleaner and the arguments would have been long over. When’s the last time you heard a complaint about the groove rule?



    I understand terrible putting and how it sucks the fun out of the game, I just went left handed in an attempt to fix my own issues, but I don’t think the broomsticks are within the spirit of the game.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey  521WRX Points: 246Members Posts: 521 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #11
    They banned side-saddle putting long ago. Seems the goal was to preserve a more traditional style, so they should've done the same with long putters that can be anchored. Just limit the putter length to something shorter (e.g. it can't go past your belly button when held vertically.)



    Personally, I don't really care: allow it completely with anchoring because all these guys are essentially still anchoring, if we're honest - or - disallow it completely. We're stuck in a middle ground now that has no clarity.
    Posted:
  • caniac6caniac6  3255WRX Points: 880Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,255 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12
    nemoblack wrote:


    They banned side-saddle putting long ago. Seems the goal was to preserve a more traditional style, so they should've done the same with long putters that can be anchored. Just limit the putter length to something shorter (e.g. it can't go past your belly button when held vertically.)



    Personally, I don't really care: allow it completely with anchoring because all these guys are essentially still anchoring, if we're honest - or - disallow it completely. We're stuck in a middle ground now that has no clarity.
    Side saddle putting is a legal method of putting. They banned the croquet method. I have no problem with either the anchored putting or the long putter. Anchoring, or long putters are not an instant cure. Both take a lot of practice to master. If it were that easy, or that much of an advantage, every pro would be doing it. On the club level, I've never played with a guy using a long putter that was better that an average putter. But if a long putter, or anchored putter keeps a guy from leaving the game. I am !00% with allowing them to use them.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • disco111disco111  1172WRX Points: 274Handicap: 7Members Posts: 1,172 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #13
    As I stated in another such thread, the long putters where fine and legal for 25+ years and nobody said "Boo" about them. It wasn't until a few big wins, that it became an issue and it was the voicing of a couple of top name golfers, that the powers that be decided to appease them. It was fine to allow the OEM's to run away with tech advancements, after all, it was for the good of the game as they say. I was glad that PING had the cahonies to take the USGA to court on the grove issue. I just wish they would have not settled for a half victory. Funny thing is, I continue to see balls hit out of the rough and stop on a dime and that was the big taboo on the PING wedges back then. So apparently that brew ha ha was for nothing. I hope that Adam Scott starts winning big with the long putter again, just to **** of the USGA and their stupid ruling.
    Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU  12499WRX Points: 3,069Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,499 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14
    I never had any problem with anchoring or a belly putter--- I tried the anchored putter for a brief while and liked it on the greens but since I use a putter on the fringe a lot etc the long broomhandle did not work for me. Like You're Away stated "The USGA screwed up when they did not specify a maximum length. I have stated this before several times--- We have a lot of older retirees in this area who anchor due to the shakes from meds or nervous issues and also bad backs. A number of them were going to give up the game period when the anchoring ban took effect. Most of the courses here wisely decided to institute a "local rule" disregarding the anchoring ban for league play. Hey like I said if you want to play golf with me and want to anchor it is fine with me. If you beat me well you just beat me. I either play for fun or very low stakes these days so really I do not care. Did not care when I played the mini tours and big money matches
    Posted:

    Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

  • Mr.FujiMr.Fuji Connection  637WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 637 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #15
    To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max PX HC Yellow
    Ping SF Tech 16*
    Titleist 816H1 21*
    Titleist 913H 24*
    Callaway CF16/Pro Combos 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
    Spider X Copper
  • Spooky67Spooky67  1389WRX Points: 144Members Posts: 1,389 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #16
    No dog in the fight here....I really have no preference. I don’t view it as much different than any other equipment advance. I also don’t like changing rules to penalize a few that have progressed their game using the club/technique in question.



    People will figure out ways to progress and improve. There’s nothing wrong with doing that within the rules....but when the rules change because the rule makers didn’t see the eventuality that occurred is not the way competition should be.....”let’s keep things the way we like them to be..”



    I putt with a regular putter and don’t care what anyone else uses.
    Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29330WRX Points: 2,227Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,330 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17
    i use a 38 inch counterbalance putter, i'm fine with the anchor rule in theory.



    I just think the USGA did it for the wrong reasons.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • slprince67slprince67  157WRX Points: 100Members Posts: 157 Fairways
    Joined:  #18
    not a fan of the usga... they botched the groove rule and the anchoring rule....bunch of fools imo.
    Posted:
  • j-robj-rob  1129WRX Points: 131Members Posts: 1,129 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #19
    For my personal game, I’m glad they banned it. I was lazy and I used one for years. It was a crutch for me and I thought I was just a bad putter and in my mind the belly putter was helping. In reality I just wasn’t focused or diligent enough to hole putts. I let it hold me back. Now I’m using a regular putter left hand low and I’m quite content. Putting is the least of my worries.



    Now for the game overall, I believe that the ban was shortsighted. For many players I think it allowed them to shoot to their fullest potential and help alleviate some physical or mental problems. The long putters are not cheat codes and are no easier to use for the general golfing population than a regular putter. At this rate you might as well ban mallets and GI irons.
    Posted:
  • 118811118811  168WRX Points: 75Handicap: 7.8Members Posts: 168 Fairways
    Joined:  #20
    Mr.Fuji wrote:


    To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.




    Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

    I was ranting about professional's when I started this thread.

    If it was up to me...I would say you have to hold all clubs in your hands. No grip or shaft anchored against arm, chin, belly or chest.

    Recreational golfers should use whatever method or club that makes the game more fun for them.

    Thanks for everyone's opinion!
    Posted:
  • MudguardMudguard  1361WRX Points: 158Members Posts: 1,361 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #21
    118811 wrote:

    Mr.Fuji wrote:


    To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.




    Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

    I was ranting about professional's when I started this thread.

    If it was up to me...I would say you have to hold all clubs in your hands. No grip or shaft anchored against arm, chin, belly or chest.

    Recreational golfers should use whatever method or club that makes the game more fun for them.

    Thanks for everyone's opinion!




    I agree with the recreational part. Professional golfers should not influence the rules or the equipment that amateurs use. Club golfers far outnumber professionals, so the R&A and USGA etc should have amateurs in mind when they want to change something.

    As for the longest club, I'm average height and can use 35" putter, what if someone taller with short arms wants a 38" putter? Or do a Sergio and snap your putter so you have to finish with three wood? Technically you can putt which ever club you like. As for anchoring against the forearm, well what if someone is choking down a wedge for an awkward chip? Oh you've brushed your wrist with the butt of the grip, therefore you've anchored.



    I'm fond of the belly putter, though both mine are chopped down now so I've had to putt normally. I have an armlock putter, I find it absolutely impossible to use, the same went for the broomstick, I cannot fathom how people can putt reliably with it. The belly was the only method I had success with, likely as it was about as close to normal putting compared to the others.
    Posted:
  • Mr.FujiMr.Fuji Connection  637WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 637 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #22
    Mudguard wrote:
    118811 wrote:

    Mr.Fuji wrote:


    To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.




    Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

    I was ranting about professional's when I started this thread.

    If it was up to me...I would say you have to hold all clubs in your hands. No grip or shaft anchored against arm, chin, belly or chest.

    Recreational golfers should use whatever method or club that makes the game more fun for them.

    Thanks for everyone's opinion!




    I agree with the recreational part. Professional golfers should not influence the rules or the equipment that amateurs use. Club golfers far outnumber professionals, so the R&A and USGA etc should have amateurs in mind when they want to change something.

    As for the longest club, I'm average height and can use 35" putter, what if someone taller with short arms wants a 38" putter? Or do a Sergio and snap your putter so you have to finish with three wood? Technically you can putt which ever club you like. As for anchoring against the forearm, well what if someone is choking down a wedge for an awkward chip? Oh you've brushed your wrist with the butt of the grip, therefore you've anchored.



    I'm fond of the belly putter, though both mine are chopped down now so I've had to putt normally. I have an armlock putter, I find it absolutely impossible to use, the same went for the broomstick, I cannot fathom how people can putt reliably with it. The belly was the only method I had success with, likely as it was about as close to normal putting compared to the others.




    There are plenty of tall players on Tour using a 35” putter so I don’t see that as valid argument. Perhaps these taller golfers would also like a 50” driver but I’m pretty sure there’s already a rule in place covering that. As for your point on Sergio and others who break or toss their putter intentionally during a round I’d say you’re DQ’d, might serve as a reality check for “professionals” to act in a professional manner. The gripping down on a wedge thing that would be incidental contact and not purposely cheating.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max PX HC Yellow
    Ping SF Tech 16*
    Titleist 816H1 21*
    Titleist 913H 24*
    Callaway CF16/Pro Combos 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
    Spider X Copper
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MudguardMudguard  1361WRX Points: 158Members Posts: 1,361 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #23
    Mr.Fuji wrote:


    There are plenty of tall players on Tour using a 35” putter so I don’t see that as valid argument. Perhaps these taller golfers would also like a 50” driver but I’m pretty sure there’s already a rule in place covering that. As for your point on Sergio and others who break or toss their putter intentionally during a round I’d say you’re DQ’d, might serve as a reality check for “professionals” to act in a professional manner. The gripping down on a wedge thing that would be incidental contact and not purposely cheating.




    Professionals don't use long shafted drivers. They use shorter drivers than amateurs at around 44.5" because they want the control and don't need the speed. So it begs the question of what your average 20 handicapper should be using, 42-43 or their three wood. Would you suggest a DQ if the putter is damaged accidentally? I've seen hosels bend from players leaning on them getting a ball out of a hole. Or perhaps a short person, or a person with a large belly could use that 35" putter and still anchor, perhaps they don't intend to anchor, it's just incidental contact?
    Posted:
  • ckaufmanckaufman Trump 2020  95WRX Points: 40Members Posts: 95 Fairways
    Joined:  #24
    I have no problem with long putters. People should be able to use whatever equipment they want to if it helps them shoot lower scores and enjoy the game more. I used a belly putter for two years during high school golf and it was the best I have ever putted. The anchoring ban is one of the dumbest decisions the USGA has ever made, and that's saying something. You can't just outlaw a piece of equipment or method of using it that's been legal forever once a few guys start winning tournaments with it. Isn't that the point?? We have 460cc drivers, cavity-back irons that cover up mishits, 64 degree wedges, and golf balls that go 300+ yards, but belly putters are where the USGA draws a line?
    Posted:
  • farmerfarmer  8418WRX Points: 885Members Posts: 8,418 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25
    I tried a broomstick, and living in windy country, it was useless. Did like the belly putter, and discovered, when banned, it had improved my stroke with a shorty. If the players using a long putter are following the rules, ie, no anchoring, then I have no problem with their use. As posted above, they are not a panacea for bad putting, they still require making the proper read and speed.
    Posted:
  • FourTopsFourTops  1676WRX Points: 12Handicap: 5.7Banned Posts: 1,676 Bunkers
    Joined:  #26
    Tiger and Jack...no long putters...so they don't matter?
    Posted:
  • WooPigWooPig Arkansas 436WRX Points: 29Handicap: 5.7Members Posts: 436 Greens
    Joined:  #27
    I wish they would retract the anchor ban OR put a definitive length limit on putters (I don’t care either way, certainly don’t mind my competitors anchoring). I don’t like the current rule because it introduces gray area into the rules.



    I thought the USGA’s current mission was to clarify and simplify the rules...
    Posted:
    Srixon Z785 9.5- Tensei Pro Orange 70S
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ 3 wood- Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75S
    Titleist 818 H2 17- Fujikura Atmos Blue S
    Titleist 818 H2 21- Fujikura Atmos Blue S
    Mizuno MP 18 (5-pw)- DG S300
    Vokey SM7 50*- DG S200
    Vokey SM7 54*- DG S200
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 58*- KBS Tour V 125
    Bettinardi '17 Studio Stock 8
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • AreJohnAreJohn  73WRX Points: 35Handicap: .9Members Posts: 73 Bunkers
    Joined:  #28
    I've used a broomstick and a belly putter and could not make anything with them. No consistency in aim, or distance control. I personally think that they just work better for some people in the same way that a putter with certain sightlines, or toe hang can change someones game.
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 10.5
    Titleist TS3 15.5
    Titleist 818 H2 21
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-AW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 54, 60
    Evnroll ER2
  • BigEx44BigEx44  337WRX Points: 92Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 337 Greens
    Joined:  #29
    caniac6 wrote:

    nemoblack wrote:


    They banned side-saddle putting long ago. Seems the goal was to preserve a more traditional style, so they should've done the same with long putters that can be anchored. Just limit the putter length to something shorter (e.g. it can't go past your belly button when held vertically.)



    Personally, I don't really care: allow it completely with anchoring because all these guys are essentially still anchoring, if we're honest - or - disallow it completely. We're stuck in a middle ground now that has no clarity.
    Side saddle putting is a legal method of putting. They banned the croquet method. I have no problem with either the anchored putting or the long putter. Anchoring, or long putters are not an instant cure. Both take a lot of practice to master. If it were that easy, or that much of an advantage, every pro would be doing it. On the club level, I've never played with a guy using a long putter that was better that an average putter. But if a long putter, or anchored putter keeps a guy from leaving the game. I am !00% with allowing them to use them.




    I'm a sidesaddle putter - so I know it's not illegal. As you stated, your foot is just not allowed to touch the target line (along with no anchoring obviously). My putter is also 46' long
    Posted:
  • produff26produff26  36WRX Points: 25Handicap: 6Members Posts: 36 Bunkers
    Joined:  #30
    They outlaw a club that was used by very few golfers yet all other equipment has made every golf course virtually obsolete for these guys!



    I thing those topographical charts of the putting greens that they use is more of an unfair advantage than a long putter. Makes a bad greens reader into a great one!



    The game should be about instinct and feel NOT all this technical BS
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU  12499WRX Points: 3,069Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,499 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #31
    WooPig wrote:


    I wish they would retract the anchor ban OR put a definitive length limit on putters (I don’t care either way, certainly don’t mind my competitors anchoring). I don’t like the current rule because it introduces gray area into the rules.



    I thought the USGA’s current mission was to clarify and simplify the rules...
    On the last sentence I will say one thing
    That is their tale I sit on mine---- The USGA's only mission is to fatten their pocketbook
    Posted:

    Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.