Bluetooth Speaker Recommendations

MichiganManMichiganMan HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!Winston-Salem, NCMembers Posts: 1,589 ✭✭
I have a JBL Clip Bluetooth speaker that is dying on me. It's no longer holding a charge for more than about an hour and a half. I was using it over the weekend during an outing and it only lasted me about 6-7 holes before it started to die. So I'm looking at getting something new. I really like the sound quality and size of the JBL Clip, as well as the fact it also has a cord to plug into so that Bluetooth isn't the only option, but wondered if there were any other options out there that people liked/recommended. Ideally, I'd like to spend about $50-$75, but I'm willing to spend a little more for the right one. I use it off the course just as much as I do on the course too in case that changes your opinion.

So what's your best recommendation?
TaylorMade M3 9.5* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7x
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95x
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Antique Bronze Milled Grind 54* SB - KBS 610
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS 610
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1
TaylorMade TP5x

Comments

• Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    I’ve been using a UE roll 2 I got from amazon(recommended here a while back on a different thread). It sounds almost as good as my bose, is waterproof. & attaches easily to a bag or cart.
  • Tom STom S Posts: 180 ✭✭
    UE Roll 2. Best I’ve used. Clips to cart or bag. Sounds great.
    Ping Hoofer bag
    Ping I20 10.5 Driver with Projext X Black 6.0 shaft
    Callaway Mini 1.5 14* Speeder Stiff
    Ping G5 5 wood with Pro Launch Blue stiff shaft
    Adams V4 3 Hybrid
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-S - DG PRO stiff
    58 Callaway Mack Daddy 3
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey putter 34"
    Pro V1x
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,197 ✭✭
    No speaker. It's annoying to many on the course that don't like music in that venue plus it's against the rules of golf to have music while playing.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    TEE Pro 21* hybrid (hook machine)
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71 Posts: 266 ✭✭
    I just scooped up a clip for 40 bucks shipped on the JBL site. Had to make a small modification to it so I could keep it on the cart but so far I love it.

I have seen the UE roll on Ebay for a similar price.

I'm pretty sure that I didnt answer your question but....lol
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    Nessism wrote:

No speaker. It's annoying to many on the course that don't like music in that venue plus it's against the rules of golf to have music while playing.

Bingo. Otherwise just use earbuds. Be considerate.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,341 ✭✭
    I have a Altec Lansing, water, snow and mud Proof, and it floats.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,352 ✭✭
    cristphoto wrote:

Nessism wrote:

Seriously, and it’s usually the worst top 40 **** music to boot
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • qtlawqtlaw Posts: 354
    Anker Soundcore 2; fantastic sound, holds long charge. Just not clippable.

As for those who are against it, I ask all my partners before round starts if they have any objection.
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,477 ✭✭
    A speaker that can fit into a suppository.
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,027 ClubWRX
    qtlaw wrote:

As for those who are against it, I ask all my partners before round starts if they have any objection.

Has anyone ever said they would rather you didn't use it? My guess is not many - not because it doesn't bother them, but rather because they didn't want to create an awkward situation. Just because someone doesn't object doesn't mean they would rather not hear your choice of music.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Posts: 1,974 ClubWRX
    well, to answer the question - braven is great, very sturdy. waterproof. also jbl charge 3. both last forever and charge the phone, which is great if using phone gps.
    TaylorMade M6 Driver
    Cobra F9 Fwy
    PXG 19 Hyb
    PXG 0311t Irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges
    Mannkrafted 1/1 OGG Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,300 ✭✭
    It is with regret to note how many aholes play golf.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think OP was looking for a speaker recommendation, not trying to get thoughts on music on the course vs no music...
  • GTgolfGTgolf Members Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Nessism wrote:

Bet you’re the life of the party!
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    qtlaw wrote:

That doesn't really mean anything. Most people wont say no, that bothers me, to a complete stranger especially on the golf course. Often, people don't want to be "that guy" and probably just say it is fine to avoid confrontation. My personal feeling is, if you want to listen to music that bad wear headphones.
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit
    GHIN: 2719293

j0zhnl.png
  • tweakedmelontweakedmelon Members Posts: 335 ✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OP was looking for a speaker recommendation, not trying to get thoughts on music on the course vs no music...

+1

As for OP's question, regardless of how you use it, I would recommend visiting the wirecutter. They do a tremendous job testing these kind of things. IIRC the UE Roll recommended by many here is their top pick currently.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,930 ✭✭
    I played a course yesterday that has satellite radio, GPS and bucket seats in every cart, it was great and I didn't hear a single cart the entire day. I like the small Sony that fits in the cup holder, sounds nice for a small unit too.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭
    OP,

Since you're probably going to toss your old speaker anyway have you though about trying to replace the battery?

Maybe you can split the case and find a manufacturer and p/n on the old battery and perhaps solder a new one in?

That's what I'd attempt if I really liked the design.
    Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think OP was looking for a speaker recommendation, not trying to get thoughts on music on the course vs no music...

Yup a predictable outcome to the OP's response because they think music can only be listened to at blaring levels and therefore must disturb everyone.
  • qtlawqtlaw Posts: 354

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OP was looking for a speaker recommendation, not trying to get thoughts on music on the course vs no music...

Yup a predictable outcome to the OP's response because they think music can only be listened to at blaring levels and therefore must disturb everyone.

Exactly. For the record I ask in a courteous fashion and no one has a problem. Even if someone said that's fine but acted agitated or annoyed, I'd stop.
  • Jeremy0510Jeremy0510 Members Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I agree with DR Frank. OP wasn't asking your opinion on speakers on the course. There's another thread on that. You may want to email JBL and ask about it. I sent my charge 3 back to them and they sent me a new one when it stopped working and it was well outta warranty. I love music on the course and my jbl goes every time I go just about. Like another said, they have the older clips on sale right now with the new ones coming out.
  • mikewohlwendmikewohlwend ClubWRX Posts: 323 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #23
    cristphoto wrote:

Nessism wrote:

Which is against the rules of golf as well.

On topic I have a JBL Flip 4 that I use for softball and golf.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Jab3384Jab3384 Members Posts: 641
    Hahaha love the people who go out of their way to read the title, jump into the thread, and bahumbug the notion of a speaker on the course. Ya couldn't just stay out of the thread ehh?

I've been happy with my Oontz speaker that I picked up on Amazon... Think it's made by Cambridge Soundworks. It's cheap, fits in the cart's cupholder, and sounds pretty darn good. I like the idea of a clip in theory, but really only use mine in the cart when I'm riding with friends.
  • CELTICCELTIC Posts: 244 ✭✭
    I was going to recommend the Braves https://braven.com/speakers.html but wow, they've gone up in price. I've had a Braven for a number of years and the thing is a tank. It sounds great and holds a charge for days, I think I paid about $50 for mine and now it looks like the cheapest is $100.
    Driver - TaylorMade M2
    3 Wood - Mizuno JPX
    Irons 4 - PW - Calloway Apex CF16
    48, 52, 56, 58 Vokey. 10,12,14,12
    Putter - Odyssey O-works 7s
  • MichiganManMichiganMan HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE! Winston-Salem, NCMembers Posts: 1,589 ✭✭
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I hadn't considered attempting to change a battery or contacting JBL about a replacement. Those are excellent suggestions as well. Thank you.
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • mlessermlesser Members Posts: 450 ✭✭
    Honestly, check out the 20 dollar blue tooth speakers on Amazon, etc. I use a SoundBot and my buddy uses his Bose. Yes, the Bose is better but not by much and you can hardly tell and it is about 150 bucks cheaper. I have had the same one for 2-3 years now and it works great, I just keep it in my golf bag as our carts have USB chargers in them so I can charge it when I need to while playing.

Oh and I play with the same group of guys each and every week and we all listen to music. If I where to ever get paired with someone else, I just don't listen or throw in my airpod's and listen to music if I have nothing to talk about if I am paired with people that I have nothing to really talk about with them. But, sorry that is just the way the game is going, the next generation of golfers want music, access to WiFi on the course for TV/surfing, etc. Rounds of golf are to long and if there isn't something else going on during these 5 hour rounds of golf and the old traditionalist want to keep the "old school rules" of golf the game of golf will be a slow dying game, not as bad as say tennis, but people will find better things to do then support the game of golf which we need every person possible to do.
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members Posts: 727 ✭✭

I hadn't considered attempting to change a battery or contacting JBL about a replacement. Those are excellent suggestions as well. Thank you.

Which version of the clip do you have? The battery replacement looks pretty easy if this is something you are comfortable with doing yourself, you'd just need the battery off of eBay or Amazon

JBL Clip Plus - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/JBL+Clip+Plus+Battery+Replacement/60603

JBL Clip 2 - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/JBL+Clip+2+Battery+Replacement/77736
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit
    GHIN: 2719293

j0zhnl.png
  • MichiganManMichiganMan HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE! Winston-Salem, NCMembers Posts: 1,589 ✭✭
    Circaflex wrote:

Which version of the clip do you have? The battery replacement looks pretty easy if this is something you are comfortable with doing yourself, you'd just need the battery off of eBay or Amazon

JBL Clip Plus - https://www.ifixit.c...placement/60603

JBL Clip 2 - https://www.ifixit.c...placement/77736

I've got the Clip+. I'm not what you'd call "handy" so I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable changing this out. I did, however, reach out to JBL to inquire about a replacement.
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • Sh00terMcgavinSh00terMcgavin Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
    Might be cheaper to reach out to JBL and have the battery replaced.

I have been extremely happy with my JBL Clip 2. Sounds great and does everything I need it to do.

I feel it is very controllable when you want to listen to music softly and not distract other golfers.

Most people seem to enjoy a little classic rock or Bob Marley....
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6 M5
    TEE EX10 Beta but searching
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x