Light debate on Live From tonight: Best ever- Phil or Norman

2»

Comments

• lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,147 ✭✭
    Jasonic wrote:

caniac6 wrote:

Norman is a better business man.

Is he? Just curious since Phil is always ahead of him on the yearly golfer earnings list. Since Arnie and jack are usually way up there under tiger I'm assuming they consider business and endorsements??

StlEER wrote:

Phil is borderline the third best player ever to live. Two more huge wins seals it for me

absolutely agree.. he wins the us open and he gets my vote for #3.. if you consider what hes done with tiger in the picture its unreal how many more he would have won ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but Phil was never runner up to Tiger in a major so I don't see how he would have won more w/o TW.

Phil also only has a very limited number of runner ups in normal events if I recall correctly.

Phil has 3rd most runner ups in majors behind jack and tiger

nope its Palmer. He and phil have 11. tiger has 6
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,147 ✭✭
    StlEER wrote:

Phil is borderline the third best player ever to live. Two more huge wins seals it for me

absolutely agree.. he wins the us open and he gets my vote for #3.. if you consider what hes done with tiger in the picture its unreal how many more he would have won ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but Phil was never runner up to Tiger in a major so I don't see how he would have won more w/o TW.

Phil also only has a very limited number of runner ups in normal events if I recall correctly.

2002 bethpage and a few third places at the masters
  • KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Members Posts: 577 ✭✭

Let's not get carried away. Great player, probably a top 10, but third-best ever? No, sir.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,935 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #35
    StlEER wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Phil was never runner up to Tiger in a major so I don’t see how he would have won more w/o TW.

SUre he was. At least 1 us open.

Total runner ups in us open is like 6-7 times.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    Jasonic wrote:

RDD wrote:

Greg not in Phil's league. Not even close. Can't believe there's even a debate

Totally agree! I was a bit bewildered at how that even was a discussion point between the guys, but yea it came up lol. Duval almost had like this "Are you f'ing kidding me look", like really?, This is even a debate?

You must not have seen Norman play back in the day

Yes, Norman was actually my favorite player in the mid 80s, so I watched him a lot. This while being a teenager, so I didnt know much about anything at 14 or 15 years old. So I can compare the two and there isnt a chance Norman was a better player than Phil, no way.
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Atlanta, GAMembers Posts: 465 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #37
    FWIW Golf Channel had a great stat last night, total Top 3 finishes in majors.

Phil is 3rd all-time behind Nicklaus and Tiger. Ahead of Hogan, Snead, Palmer, et all. I don't have a screen shot of it and couldn't find a website showing it but I trust Golf Channel's research is accurate.

Not suggesting this is definitive that he is the 3rd best player ever but it does give credence that he at least deserves to be in the discussion.

P.S. As to the original topic, Phil > Norman w/o question. It's fair to say Norman was snake bit (Larry Mize chip anyone?) but he also shot himself in the foot more than once too.
    "We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time."

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
    Mizuno JPX 900 3W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
    Titleist AP3 3 - 5 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist AP2 6 - PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Miura Y Grind 51 w/ Project X 5.5
    Miura C Grind 55 w/ Project X 5.5
    Miura C Grind 59 w/ Project X 5.5
    Custom Edel E3
    Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    Phil.

But let's not get carried away making these unsubstantiated blanket "ranking" statements.

For this thread, he is better than Norman.

That was like passing a stone.
  • KBongKBong Members Posts: 1,211 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #39
    FIGJAM by a large margin....Phil also has a better phony thumbs up. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,535 ✭✭
    Jarlaxle wrote:

FWIW Golf Channel had a great stat last night, total Top 3 finishes in majors.

Phil is 3rd all-time behind Nicklaus and Tiger. Ahead of Hogan, Snead, Palmer, et all. I don't have a screen shot of it and couldn't find a website showing it but I trust Golf Channel's research is accurate.

Not suggesting this is definitive that he is the 3rd best player ever but it does give credence that he at least deserves to be in the discussion.

P.S. As to the original topic, Phil > Norman w/o question. It's fair to say Norman was snake bit (Larry Mize chip anyone?) but he also shot himself in the foot more than once too.

You know me, I love stats, so I had to look up the numbers as well. Jack is way ahead of everyone at 46, Tiger at 24, and Phil right behind at 23. Not far behind is Snead with 22 and Hogan with 19 while Norman sits at 14. But it is worth mentioning that Hogan and Snead played in way fewer majors in their prime. Take a look at these numbers:

Majors played by age 46 (for obvious reasons)

Jack Nicklaus: 107

Phil Mickelson: 100

Tiger Woods: 77

Sam Snead: 57

Ben Hogan: 42

It is not a fair comparison, but of course it is fun just to see who owns the records.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,457 ✭✭
    Phil. Both have had brain farts in their careers but Phil solved his over the years.

Caveat: I never liked Norman. He talked better than he played.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,399 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #42
    Because they both have a 70s style swing, I can’t compare since I love them both...

Norman’s swing was an absolute work of art...

But I want to take [my post] in a different direction and say who Phil actually reminds me of in the sporting world…

It’s an very interesting comparison as I think about it...

George Foreman

A lot of you youngsters don’t remember but there was a time in the the late 60s/early 70s when George Foreman was an awe inspiring boxer who was considered to have tools that no one else on earth possessed…

Just like Phil who was winnng PGA tournament while in college…

Many who watched Foreman at the 68 Olympics in Mexico (at altitude) destroy the worlds best amateurs believed him to be the greatest fighter on earth, amateur or pro...

Foreman, however, would be eclipsed by a once in a generation fighter(Ali) and largely lost forgotten to history from a fighting standpoint...

It was only through an offhanded conversation he had many years after retiring that he decided to re-enter the ring where he once again became the heavyweight champion in his 40s… This is unfathomable… Much like Phil’s career or Vijay’s before him…

But both George and Phil had a God-given style that was based in their own bodies athleticism and movements…

Phils is a very fluid swing lots of leg drive and a very hands action that is timeless…

Just as George’s crab style of defense and massively destructive half jab half hook was remind timelessly effective…

Also they both are worth half a billion if memory serves and most was made off their respective fields of sport...not a small accomplishment

Anyhow, I can’t tell you who was the better at the peak of their career between Norman and fill the water **** of a match they would have had…

Both were uber Competitive But Greg lost his taste for competition while Phils seems to only grow...

Both could be quite above the rest of the world when they were on…

I am using speech to text on my iPad so please forgive any grammatical errors…

I’m not about to go back and edit my ridiculous diatribe…

Anyhow, take a look at Phils swing below right-handed and you’ll see the other perfection of it 70s beauty and why it ages so well

-Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • summerofsummerof Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Norman never did what Phil did today...
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered Posts: 1,261
    bscinstnct wrote:

caniac6 wrote:

Norman is a better business man.

Phil is still a FT golfer, hasnt started his 2nd life biz career yet.

Well, cept dinosuar head collecting and day insider trading.

But, one day, if he gets serious, Ill have to pitch him on my sweet idea...

Chain of "Gentlemans" gambling steakhouses. One stop evening ; )

Fixed
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭
    summerof wrote:

Norman never did what Phil did today...

Phil will now be immortalized with his signature moment
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

I generally enjoy Nobilo (and still do) but his defense of Norman was blatant homerism. And before the first wise guy jumps up and points out that they are from two different countries, yes, I know that, but I’m sure most here will understand what I mean.

Norman in hi s day was a force of nature... i know ..i know... he threw away many many majors.. but the reason Nobilo was hesitant....because Norman has so many world wide wins not recognized in US debates....all about the PGA....Duval's answer should tell you a little too
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • maverickmaverick Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭
    Greg Norman was a great iron player and way better than Phil ever thought of being.

For Phil:https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/u-s-open-2018-phil-mickelsons-rule-abuse-was-equal-parts-hilarious-and-troubling/
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,449 ✭✭
    Man_O_War wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

I generally enjoy Nobilo (and still do) but his defense of Norman was blatant homerism. And before the first wise guy jumps up and points out that they are from two different countries, yes, I know that, but I’m sure most here will understand what I mean.

Norman in hi s day was a force of nature... i know ..i know... he threw away many many majors.. but the reason Nobilo was hesitant....because Norman has so many world wide wins not recognized in US debates....all about the PGA....Duval's answer should tell you a little too

If you are going to count the 70’s PanAustralAsian Tour wins then you have to count Mickelson’s AJGA and college wins.
  • RoryGeniusRoryGenius Members Posts: 122
    Phil the 3rd best ever? That's the best laugh I've had in a while.
  • jus711jus711 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I don't think anyone could argue objectively that Norman had a better career achievement-wise than Phil even accounting for Norman's worldwide wins. However, of all the golfers I've seen in my lifetime Norman is the second most talented to Tiger (I only saw Jack at the tail end), and the 2nd most dominant as far as gap between him and the next best player. Faldo had a better career than Norman too and beat him often, but anybody watching would tell you that Norman was "better" from the eye test talent wise-he just was unlucky or beat himself at the wrong time.
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited Jun 17, 2018 #51
    curitiba wrote:

Norman was way better that Phil.

But not by much.

stupid argument

Shark had more overall wins. And he was ranked #1 for how many weeks? Im a big Phil fan but I say likely equal.
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Greg looks much better topless, even today, than Phil ever did.

End of discussion.
  • Whit1969Whit1969 Members Posts: 979 ✭✭

Points for Greg Norman

1. spent 331 weeks as the world #1 compared to Phil's 0

2. PGA Player of the Year once, Phil 0

3. Led the PGA Tour money list 3 times, Phil 0

Phil has five majors, a players championship, and way more tour wins. This is not even a debate!
    Taylormade 2016 M2 PX Hzrdus Smoke 70
    Callaway Rogue 3 wood PX Evenflow Blue 75
    Titleist 915H 2 Hybrid Diamana S+ 70
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Vokey SM6  54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works #7
    Snell MTB-Black