Tiger’s Future Status for The U.S. Open

Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭
On Live From they mentioned very briefly that his 10 year exemption expires this year based off his 2008 win. I know it never really occurred to me because it just seems incomprehensible but it’s conceivable that Tiger could have to qualify for future U.S. Opens. Of course, it’s another year away and lots of things could happen but I do believe it’s a distinct possibility.

The only caveat should it come to that is a special exemption which he will almost certainly get one or two of.
In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS TOUR Hybrid Prototype 95X
Srixon Z965 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 
Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Toulon Design Columbus
TaylorMade TP5X 

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,435 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #2
    All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85x or Rogue Tour Blue 85x
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS or SM6 60/08M Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Ardmore 2 Red-White or TP Juno
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• FiveSixAceFiveSixAce Members Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #3
    I would hazard a guess that if this scenario were to occur Mr. Woods would be the beneficiary of a special exemption like the ones Els and Furyk received this year. Maybe indefinitely lol. 79 wins and 3 US Opens has to get you some love.

https://www.golfdige...hinnecock-hills
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #4
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year’s US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn’t get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we’re talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.
    In the Hoofer

Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    FiveSixAce wrote:

I would hazard a guess that if this scenario were to occur Mr. Woods would be the beneficiary of a special exemption like the ones Els and Furyk received this year. Maybe indefinitely lol. 79 wins and 3 US Opens has to get you some love.

Exactly this...You can forget about going to a sectional qualifier to see Tiger LOL
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,435 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #6
    Need4spd wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year's US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn't get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we're talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.

Yes you are correct. I got mixed up and thought as long as you placed top 4 or 5 in any previous year's major, you got exemption, similar to the Masters.

Tiger can come in top 10 though this year and get exemption for 2019. Also, looks like top 60 in world rank gets you in, too. He is currently rank 80, so as long as he keeps placing well I think he can make it to 60.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85x or Rogue Tour Blue 85x
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS or SM6 60/08M Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Ardmore 2 Red-White or TP Juno
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Members Posts: 583 ✭✭
    If the USGA is brighter than I believe they are, they will ensure Big Cat is playing as long as he wants to show up (which I believe is eight more years).
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,508 ✭✭
    When tiger quits going to the US open, it will be his decision.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,467 ✭✭
    wobgon wrote:

When tiger quits going to the US open, it will be his decision.

Exactly. Tiger tells the USGA when he's done not the other way around.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
    INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • Chilli9880Chilli9880 #adiZero Members Posts: 878 ✭✭
    I guess I never knew this... I thought a major win got you into every major for the next 5 years. Times that by 14 and I thought he was exempt for every major for life. Now of course, I know the Masters, The Open and PGA Championship all allow lifetime entry for winning, so I thought he was golden for the US Open for life. Guess I was wrong.
    '16 Taylormade M2 9*, Fujikura Atmos Black 6S
    '16 Taylormade M2 15*, Fujikura Atmos Black 7X
    '16 Taylormade M2 18*, Fujikura Atmos Black 8TX
    '16 Titleist T-MB 4, 5 & 6, MB 7-PW, TI DG AMT X100
    Titleist Vokey Forged 50, 56, 62, TI DG S400
    Titleist SC Select Squareback '14
    Titleist AVX, Titleist Cart Bag
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,008 ✭✭
    I just wanna see him make the cut this week
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,774 ✭✭
    Most of his tournament eligibility issues go away when he gets his OWGR below 50. I think that's his primary goal right now.
    I think some of you guys are giving the USGA a little too much credit. One exemption, of course, two, absolutely, but who gets any more than that? And no, I’m sorry but I don’t think Tiger will tell the USGA when he’s done. In fact, I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

Provided he remains healthy I don’t think it will be an issue as I believe he will find a way into the top 60 in the world if nothing else, but by no means is it a lock. I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to envision a scenario at some point in the future by which he could be forced to qualify.
    In the Hoofer

Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,837 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #14
    Tiger will get exemptions as long as he gets ratings. He doesn't have to worry about winning a tournament, finishing top 5 in a major, top 50 in FedEx, or whatever other requirements that would get him in. He will have a spot in the US Open for the foreseeable future. Now if the USGA were smart, they'd give him a "bye" for the first two rounds and let him start on Saturday with the last group.
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,252 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

I think some of you guys are giving the USGA a little too much credit. One exemption, of course, two, absolutely, but who gets any more than that? And no, I’m sorry but I don’t think Tiger will tell the USGA when he’s done. In fact, I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

Provided he remains healthy I don’t think it will be an issue as I believe he will find a way into the top 60 in the world if nothing else, but by no means is it a lock. I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to envision a scenario at some point in the future by which he could be forced to qualify.

I agree. Don't think he will (or should) get unlimited special invites to the US Open.

But I doubt he'll need one for next year. He should be comfortably within the OWGR top 60 by then.
  • FIRs&GIRs&3-PuttsFIRs&GIRs&3-Putts Members Posts: 483 ✭✭
    cdnglf wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

I agree. Don't think he will (or should) get unlimited special invites to the US Open.

But I doubt he'll need one for next year. He should be comfortably within the OWGR top 60 by then.

No tournament on earth is going to deny Tiger to play. He could probably get an exemption the the US Kid's if he wanted one.
  • drewtaylor21drewtaylor21 I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious Las Vegas, NVMembers Posts: 2,843 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

Jack played until he was 60. I'm fairly certain he got at least a couple special invites....

If you think the USGA won't invite Tiger back as long as he is healthy and able to play, you're nuts.
    Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
    2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
    TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
    Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
    Spider Tour Platinum 35"
    TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Need4spd wrote:

Jack played until he was 60. I'm fairly certain he got at least a couple special invites....

If you think the USGA won't invite Tiger back as long as he is healthy and able to play, you're nuts.

The rules different back then if I’m not mistaken. You used to be fully exempt until the age of 60, just like you’re exempt until 65 at The Open. I guess this is a debate that we won’t be able to settle for several more years, but you guys talk about The USGA like they’re a title sponsor. The USGA is not Valspar, MasterCard, BMW, Waste Management, etcetera. Respectfully, if you think anyone is getting unlimited special exemptions into The US Open based on lifetime achievement, then you’re nuts.

I need look no further than the World Golf Championship events to prove my point. Someone above said he could get an exemption into any tourney he wanted... This has already been proven wrong.
    In the Hoofer

Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • drewtaylor21drewtaylor21 I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious Las Vegas, NVMembers Posts: 2,843 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

The rules different back then if I’m not mistaken. You used to be fully exempt until the age of 60, just like you’re exempt until 65 at The Open. I guess this is a debate that we won’t be able to settle for several more years, but you guys talk about The USGA like they’re a title sponsor. The USGA is not Valspar, MasterCard, BMW, Waste Management, etcetera. Respectfully, if you think anyone is getting unlimited special exemptions into The US Open based on lifetime achievement, then you’re nuts.

I need look no further than the World Golf Championship events to prove my point. Someone above said he could get an exemption into any tourney he wanted... This has already been proven wrong.

A quick google search answers your question. Jack was given special exemptions from 1994-2000.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/15/sports/1995-us-open-notebook-nicklaus-nearing-end-of-his-tourney-string.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nicklaus-major-streak-continues/

WGC events have never given exemptions, completely different story there, as entry is based solely on ranking.

Say again: Tiger will not be headed to sectionals any time soon.
    Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
    2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
    TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
    Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
    Spider Tour Platinum 35"
    TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en
  • KGrinolsKGrinols CaMembers Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

That stand would cost them so much money every time they make it, they would have to be brain dead.

Put me in the 'golf is a business' crowd, that understands no Tiger means less viewers, less sponsors, less advertisers.
    Mizuno ST180 Driver Tensei Blue Stiff
    Mizuno ST180 3Wood Tensei Blue Stiff
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hybrid Fujikura Pro73 Stiff
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5
    Mizuno T7 50*, 55*, 60* Project X LZ 5.5
    Ping Ketsch
    KGrinols wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

That stand would cost them so much money every time they make it, they would have to be brain dead.

Put me in the 'golf is a business' crowd, that understands no Tiger means less viewers, less sponsors, less advertisers.

Viewers, sponsors and advertisers will not continue to care indefinitely about a Tiger that isn't good enough to qualify on his own.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,003 ✭✭
    I would love to see Tiger out at Sectionals
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
    cdnglf wrote:

KGrinols wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

Viewers, sponsors and advertisers will not continue to care indefinitely about a Tiger that isn't good enough to qualify on his own.

We literally JUST go through a 10 year span of Tiger not being good enough to qualify on his own, where fans, viewers, sponsors, (this site) and advertisers still flocked to him like crazy.

Tiger is a legend and will forever be an Ambassador of this sport, whether he's qualifying or not, even whether he's playing or not. Sponsors, advertisers, and viewers will follow.

One day, Tiger might join the Senior Tour, and if you don't think sponsors, viewers, and advertisers are going to follow him, then I think you're crazy.
    Ping Ketsch
    edited Jun 12, 2018 #24
    KGrinols wrote:

cdnglf wrote:

KGrinols wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

We literally JUST go through a 10 year span of Tiger not being good enough to qualify on his own, where fans, viewers, sponsors, (this site) and advertisers still flocked to him like crazy.

Tiger is a legend and will forever be an Ambassador of this sport, whether he's qualifying or not, even whether he's playing or not. Sponsors, advertisers, and viewers will follow.

One day, Tiger might join the Senior Tour, and if you don't think sponsors, viewers, and advertisers are going to follow him, then I think you're crazy.

Except we didn't.
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,439 ClubWRX
    KGrinols wrote:

cdnglf wrote:

KGrinols wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

2013 Tiger Woods Season

5 wins including 2 WGC and The Players

PGA Tour Player of the Year (voted by PGA Tour members)

PGA Player of the Year

Leading Money Winner

Vardon Trophy....REPEAT Vardon Trophy

Yep, he’s totally washed up...2012-2013 was the last time Tiger was healthy(ish) and he curb stomped everyone on earth...

Re-read those stats I just wrote before u post again..

Otherwise, you may something [more] obtuse

-Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

2012-2013 was the last time Tiger was healthy(ish) and he curb stomped everyone on earth...

Fine, 5 years, 3 years, 1 year, doesn't matter, it's a moot point.

Even during a period where Tiger sucked, couldn't play, couldn't finish rounds, couldn't qualify, Sponsors, advertisers, media, viewers, and this forum STILL flocked to him.

In 5 more years if Tiger can't qualify, or can't even play, it won't matter, we are STILL going to flock to him.

It would be ignorant for the USGA not to find a way to keep him on tour by any means necessary.
    Ping Ketsch
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,736 ✭✭
    after he wins sunday he will be good through age 52 ...right ?

cdnglf wrote:

KGrinols wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

yea..im thinking around age 75....
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

USGA gunna be like:

Tigerlol.png
    Ping Ketsch
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,670 ✭✭
    KGrinols wrote:

USGA gunna be like:

Tigerlol.png

Rofl!

KG wins the internet for today!
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 901 ✭✭
    FiveSixAce wrote:

Definitely. Look how many exemptions Jack got...
  • SlackattackSlackattack Members Posts: 350 ✭✭
    Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn’t give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year? If he’s healthy and wants to play, he will play there.
    Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
    TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
    Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
    Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
    Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
    588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
    Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.