Tiger’s Future Status for The U.S. Open

Need4spd

On Live From they mentioned very briefly that his 10 year exemption expires this year based off his 2008 win. I know it never really occurred to me because it just seems incomprehensible but it’s conceivable that Tiger could have to qualify for future U.S. Opens. Of course, it’s another year away and lots of things could happen but I do believe it’s a distinct possibility.

The only caveat should it come to that is a special exemption which he will almost certainly get one or two of.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year’s US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn’t get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we’re talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

I would hazard a guess that if this scenario were to occur Mr. Woods would be the beneficiary of a special exemption like the ones Els and Furyk received this year. Maybe indefinitely lol. 79 wins and 3 US Opens has to get you some love.

https://www.golfdige...hinnecock-hills

Exactly this...You can forget about going to a sectional qualifier to see Tiger LOL

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year's US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn't get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we're talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.

Yes you are correct. I got mixed up and thought as long as you placed top 4 or 5 in any previous year's major, you got exemption, similar to the Masters.

Tiger can come in top 10 though this year and get exemption for 2019. Also, looks like top 60 in world rank gets you in, too. He is currently rank 80, so as long as he keeps placing well I think he can make it to 60.

When tiger quits going to the US open, it will be his decision.

Exactly. Tiger tells the USGA when he's done not the other way around.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I guess I never knew this... I thought a major win got you into every major for the next 5 years. Times that by 14 and I thought he was exempt for every major for life. Now of course, I know the Masters, The Open and PGA Championship all allow lifetime entry for winning, so I thought he was golden for the US Open for life. Guess I was wrong.

D - Ping G430 LST 9*, PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
3W - Titleist 915f 16.5 (set to 15.75), Aldila Rogue White 130 70x

5W - Titleist TS3 18*, PX LE HZRDUS Blue RDX PVD 80 6.5

4H - Titleist TS3 23 (set to 22), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to 26), PX Evenflow White 95 6.5

6I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
W - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), 60 K, DG TI S400

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

I think some of you guys are giving the USGA a little too much credit. One exemption, of course, two, absolutely, but who gets any more than that? And no, I’m sorry but I don’t think Tiger will tell the USGA when he’s done. In fact, I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

Provided he remains healthy I don’t think it will be an issue as I believe he will find a way into the top 60 in the world if nothing else, but by no means is it a lock. I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to envision a scenario at some point in the future by which he could be forced to qualify.

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

Tiger will get exemptions as long as he gets ratings. He doesn't have to worry about winning a tournament, finishing top 5 in a major, top 50 in FedEx, or whatever other requirements that would get him in. He will have a spot in the US Open for the foreseeable future. Now if the USGA were smart, they'd give him a "bye" for the first two rounds and let him start on Saturday with the last group.

I think some of you guys are giving the USGA a little too much credit. One exemption, of course, two, absolutely, but who gets any more than that? And no, I’m sorry but I don’t think Tiger will tell the USGA when he’s done. In fact, I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

Provided he remains healthy I don’t think it will be an issue as I believe he will find a way into the top 60 in the world if nothing else, but by no means is it a lock. I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to envision a scenario at some point in the future by which he could be forced to qualify.

I agree. Don't think he will (or should) get unlimited special invites to the US Open.

But I doubt he'll need one for next year. He should be comfortably within the OWGR top 60 by then.

I agree. Don't think he will (or should) get unlimited special invites to the US Open.

But I doubt he'll need one for next year. He should be comfortably within the OWGR top 60 by then.

No tournament on earth is going to deny Tiger to play. He could probably get an exemption the the US Kid's if he wanted one.

Jack played until he was 60. I'm fairly certain he got at least a couple special invites....

If you think the USGA won't invite Tiger back as long as he is healthy and able to play, you're nuts.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Jack played until he was 60. I'm fairly certain he got at least a couple special invites....

If you think the USGA won't invite Tiger back as long as he is healthy and able to play, you're nuts.

The rules different back then if I’m not mistaken. You used to be fully exempt until the age of 60, just like you’re exempt until 65 at The Open. I guess this is a debate that we won’t be able to settle for several more years, but you guys talk about The USGA like they’re a title sponsor. The USGA is not Valspar, MasterCard, BMW, Waste Management, etcetera. Respectfully, if you think anyone is getting unlimited special exemptions into The US Open based on lifetime achievement, then you’re nuts.

I need look no further than the World Golf Championship events to prove my point. Someone above said he could get an exemption into any tourney he wanted... This has already been proven wrong.

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

The rules different back then if I’m not mistaken. You used to be fully exempt until the age of 60, just like you’re exempt until 65 at The Open. I guess this is a debate that we won’t be able to settle for several more years, but you guys talk about The USGA like they’re a title sponsor. The USGA is not Valspar, MasterCard, BMW, Waste Management, etcetera. Respectfully, if you think anyone is getting unlimited special exemptions into The US Open based on lifetime achievement, then you’re nuts.

I need look no further than the World Golf Championship events to prove my point. Someone above said he could get an exemption into any tourney he wanted... This has already been proven wrong.

A quick google search answers your question. Jack was given special exemptions from 1994-2000.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/15/sports/1995-us-open-notebook-nicklaus-nearing-end-of-his-tourney-string.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nicklaus-major-streak-continues/

WGC events have never given exemptions, completely different story there, as entry is based solely on ranking.

Say again: Tiger will not be headed to sectionals any time soon.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

That stand would cost them so much money every time they make it, they would have to be brain dead.

Put me in the 'golf is a business' crowd, that understands no Tiger means less viewers, less sponsors, less advertisers.

I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

That stand would cost them so much money every time they make it, they would have to be brain dead.

Put me in the 'golf is a business' crowd, that understands no Tiger means less viewers, less sponsors, less advertisers.

Viewers, sponsors and advertisers will not continue to care indefinitely about a Tiger that isn't good enough to qualify on his own.

I would love to see Tiger out at Sectionals

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Viewers, sponsors and advertisers will not continue to care indefinitely about a Tiger that isn't good enough to qualify on his own.

We literally JUST go through a 10 year span of Tiger not being good enough to qualify on his own, where fans, viewers, sponsors, (this site) and advertisers still flocked to him like crazy.

Tiger is a legend and will forever be an Ambassador of this sport, whether he's qualifying or not, even whether he's playing or not. Sponsors, advertisers, and viewers will follow.

One day, Tiger might join the Senior Tour, and if you don't think sponsors, viewers, and advertisers are going to follow him, then I think you're crazy.

We literally JUST go through a 10 year span of Tiger not being good enough to qualify on his own, where fans, viewers, sponsors, (this site) and advertisers still flocked to him like crazy.

Tiger is a legend and will forever be an Ambassador of this sport, whether he's qualifying or not, even whether he's playing or not. Sponsors, advertisers, and viewers will follow.

One day, Tiger might join the Senior Tour, and if you don't think sponsors, viewers, and advertisers are going to follow him, then I think you're crazy.

Except we didn't.

2013 Tiger Woods Season

5 wins including 2 WGC and The Players

PGA Tour Player of the Year (voted by PGA Tour members)

PGA Player of the Year

Leading Money Winner

Vardon Trophy....REPEAT Vardon Trophy

Yep, he’s totally washed up...2012-2013 was the last time Tiger was healthy(ish) and he curb stomped everyone on earth...

Re-read those stats I just wrote before u post again..

Otherwise, you may something [more] obtuse

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

2012-2013 was the last time Tiger was healthy(ish) and he curb stomped everyone on earth...

Fine, 5 years, 3 years, 1 year, doesn't matter, it's a moot point.

Even during a period where Tiger sucked, couldn't play, couldn't finish rounds, couldn't qualify, Sponsors, advertisers, media, viewers, and this forum STILL flocked to him.

In 5 more years if Tiger can't qualify, or can't even play, it won't matter, we are STILL going to flock to him.

It would be ignorant for the USGA not to find a way to keep him on tour by any means necessary.

after he wins sunday he will be good through age 52 ...right ?

yea..im thinking around age 75....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I would hazard a guess that if this scenario were to occur Mr. Woods would be the beneficiary of a special exemption like the ones Els and Furyk received this year. Maybe indefinitely lol. 79 wins and 3 US Opens has to get you some love.

https://www.golfdige...hinnecock-hills

Definitely. Look how many exemptions Jack got...