2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Any Ivy Leaguers out there?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you want to go to an ivy league school? No partys, all academics, and snobby people. Just wondering.

Eh dude i don't totally agree with that. I dunno it's just something that i've always wanted to do and feel that it is the best way for me to continue my education because i think it will force me to work hard and establish some work ethic.

Why do you want to go to an ivy league school? No partys, all academics, and snobby people. Just wondering.

Ridiculous...he wants to go build his future with a world class degree. And Ivy Leaguers party plenty. Sure there are snobs around but there are plenty of good people there too. There's snobs at any decent university.

Anyways, to the OP, you'll just have to really visit to figure out what campus you like...if you're considering Ivys, I'm sure you've got great greats and extra activities but keep in mind that the acceptance rates I believe are record lows as the applicant pools now a days are HUGE. Make sure you have a good solid back up and happy hunting. It'll also depend on a ton of other stuff like city versus more rural, so on and so forth...but please don't be mistaken that you can't get a great education and have great fun at an Ivy because you can.

Ridiculous...he wants to go build his future with a world class degree. And Ivy Leaguers party plenty. Sure there are snobs around but there are plenty of good people there too. There's snobs at any decent university.

Anyways, to the OP, you'll just have to really visit to figure out what campus you like...if you're considering Ivys, I'm sure you've got great greats and extra activities but keep in mind that the acceptance rates I believe are record lows as the applicant pools now a days are HUGE. Make sure you have a good solid back up and happy hunting. It'll also depend on a ton of other stuff like city versus more rural, so on and so forth...but please don't be mistaken that you can't get a great education and have great fun at an Ivy because you can.

Golfwire, sounds like you've maybe been to an Ivy? I don't plan on playing golf at one but would love to. The one I'm most interested in is Cornell because of the economics program and beautiful campus. I believe I have the grades and extracurriculars as well as doing a lot of volunteer work. I do realize though that it will be hard to get in no matter what and am okay with going to other schools.

great location?

Yea good weather but its located in on of the worst parts of the country. Do not want to be adventuring off that campus at night.

If you are referring to USC ..... worst part of the country.....NO WAY.... its gets a bad rap because it close to Watts, but i never once had a problem. People that have never been there think its bad... but its very safe on and around campus and the campus is BEAUTIFUL !!! it;s all brick buildings and you feel like your somewhere else.

by the way... just about every commercial that is shot on a college campus or uses a sorority or fraternity.... 9/10 its USC campus...they are shooting movies, TV, shows, and commercial's all the time on campus.

University of Pennsylvania alum. Didn't play golf there. Wasn't good enough at the time. Greek life dominates the social scene, but there are alternatives. Not a party school per se, but as far as IVY is concerned, it's one of the more social ones. Academics is ok. Not very academic but more practical. Produces alot of doctors, bankers, lawyers, etc. ....not so much scholars, researchers, nor professors. Overall, very happy w/ my 4 years there.

Golfwire, sounds like you've maybe been to an Ivy? I don't plan on playing golf at one but would love to. The one I'm most interested in is Cornell because of the economics program and beautiful campus. I believe I have the grades and extracurriculars as well as doing a lot of volunteer work. I do realize though that it will be hard to get in no matter what and am okay with going to other schools.

My older cousin is a Cornell alum and loved it there. Great school, beautiful campus.

Only in America can the motivated and bright be discouraged from going to elite prestigious school for the sake of partying heh. ;) But whatever. You don't have to go to a Ivy to get a great education, likewise, going to an Ivy doesn't preclude you from being a fun guy that partys a lot.

On a side note, I can also personally vouch for USC having an incredible student body...UCLA as well :good:

Heres an answer you may find a bit more helpful

I currently play D1 golf. I was heavily recruited by one of the Ivies, rhymes with vince fun. Went on the official visit, played the golf course, met the team, all that BS. Decided to apply early because, well, I wanted to be a pompous asswipe and brag to everyone about where I was going. How good was I? Top 50 in my class, top 100 in the country, lots of ajga experience, nearly won an ajga my junior year, winner on the IJGT, numerous wins in the state, high school record holder, yadah yadah yadah. Did I have the grades to get in? I had 9 AP classes, a 1360 SAT, SAT II's, a 91 GPA, very prestigous private high school, had ties with the university. I consider myself a pretty smart guy . . . just not smart enough to get in, even with the pull of being one of the coaches top recruits.

But I'm the exception. Coaches try and get the best players they can, but often times admissions says no. The players that the coaches ACTUALLY get are not that good, trust me. Go look at the scores they shot at this years ivy league championship. The hardest part about ivy league golf is GETTING INTO THE DAMN SCHOOL. I had a great application, awesome essays, top golfers in the country . . . but not quite good enough. But I'm very happy with the school I am at now. The Ivy league is not for everyone, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to be for me. Make sure you like the school and the students and you are not drawn to a place because of the presitge like I initially was. I remember talking to the coach one day on the phone and he was telling me about how he could get on any course in the country, even Augusta. Heck, what high school kid would not go apesh*t over hearing something like that???!!!

Right now I'm at a school with a great location, great academics, hot girls, and an up-and-coming golf program, not to mention teammtes who are like family. Did I miss out by not getting into the Ivy League? Heck No! When I graduate there is a job waiting for me in a commial real estate firm, where I get to take clients out to the golf course and make a tiny fortune in the process. Did I miss out by not getting into the Ivy league? Hell No! You can be successful at soooo many places if you put in the work.

Not that I could get into any ivies but I never really wanted to go to any in the first place. I don't want my high school experience over again (it's a very rigorous magnet school with some really lame people) in that I want to have a good balance of social and academic life and I don't want to have to work my a** off at the cost of everything else. I'm considering University of Virginia, William & Mary, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of California-Los Angeles, and Boston College. I think those schools all offer a top notch education but a better balance then ivies would. Regardless, I plan on going to grad school so that's the school that matters more in terms of reputation and academic intensity (not to say that any of the schools I just mentioned are lacking). But unless you're absolutely set on an Ivy, there are many great schools out there that may offer a better balance (imo). To list some, (in addition to the ones I'm planning on applying to), Georgetown University, NYU, USC was already mentioned, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (notoriously hard to get into because I believe over 80% are in state), and I'm sure you can find quite a few others. Check out http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....tudoc_brief.php as a starter if you're interested.

I attended Dartmouth and played ice hockey for 4 years. I had played golf since age eight, was about a 5 in my senior year of high school, but would not have made the golf team. Dartmouth is a terrific place if you want (1) a true liberal arts curriculum; (2) a close knit community; (3) a fair been of socializing ;) ; and (4) cold winters.

Heres an answer you may find a bit more helpful

I currently play D1 golf. I was heavily recruited by one of the Ivies, rhymes with vince fun. Went on the official visit, played the golf course, met the team, all that BS. Decided to apply early because, well, I wanted to be a pompous asswipe and brag to everyone about where I was going. How good was I? Top 50 in my class, top 100 in the country, lots of ajga experience, nearly won an ajga my junior year, winner on the IJGT, numerous wins in the state, high school record holder, yadah yadah yadah. Did I have the grades to get in? I had 9 AP classes, a 1360 SAT, SAT II's, a 91 GPA, very prestigous private high school, had ties with the university. I consider myself a pretty smart guy . . . just not smart enough to get in, even with the pull of being one of the coaches top recruits.

But I'm the exception. Coaches try and get the best players they can, but often times admissions says no. The players that the coaches ACTUALLY get are not that good, trust me. Go look at the scores they shot at this years ivy league championship. The hardest part about ivy league golf is GETTING INTO THE DAMN SCHOOL. I had a great application, awesome essays, top golfers in the country . . . but not quite good enough. But I'm very happy with the school I am at now. The Ivy league is not for everyone, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to be for me. Make sure you like the school and the students and you are not drawn to a place because of the presitge like I initially was. I remember talking to the coach one day on the phone and he was telling me about how he could get on any course in the country, even Augusta. Heck, what high school kid would not go apesh*t over hearing something like that???!!!

Right now I'm at a school with a great location, great academics, hot girls, and an up-and-coming golf program, not to mention teammtes who are like family. Did I miss out by not getting into the Ivy League? Heck No! When I graduate there is a job waiting for me in a commial real estate firm, where I get to take clients out to the golf course and make a tiny fortune in the process. Did I miss out by not getting into the Ivy league? Hell No! You can be successful at soooo many places if you put in the work.

Awesome stuff. I think I have the grades (33 ACT, 4.52 GPA, SATs pending) but the golf needs to come around just a little more.

The trouble I'm facing along with a lot of others is that AJGA events are too damn expensive. I feel like I have to game to compete but not the means to do so. I know some of you can relate when I say it's a pretty sh*tty feeling. I'm playing in a few PGA Junior Series events and the PA State Junior in Hershey, so I'm hoping good performances at events like that will garner some merit. I really don't know.

Out of curiosity, who do you play for mapshooter?

Same here. I'd love to play golf for Cornell. Got the grades, but the golf is a bit tougher.

Is Ivy golf that tough that a 0 handicap can't get a spot on the team? Surprising. It must be much harder than when I used to attend school.

I guess. Sometimes it's not really about your handicap or skill anymore but what you accomplish with it. That's what I'm thinking...

i went to Brown University but didn't play golf there (didn't start playing golf until the summer AFTER i graduated from college....DOH!). did my fair share of partying but also worked hard academically. btw, loved it. academically it's very liberal...no core curriculum. athletically it's not bad...for an ivy. socially, i had a blast....very diverse. providence is not a bad city...not great but conveniently located between Boston and NYC.

regardless of which college/university you choose to attend, keep in mind that it's all what you make of it. there are successful people in all types of careers that went to top-tier schools, state Us and even community colleges. take advantage of the opportunities, establish good relationships with friends and mentors and most importantly be happy with your decisions and accomplishments.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

Not that I could get into any ivies but I never really wanted to go to any in the first place. I don't want my high school experience over again (it's a very rigorous magnet school with some really lame people) in that I want to have a good balance of social and academic life and I don't want to have to work my a** off at the cost of everything else. I'm considering University of Virginia, William & Mary, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of California-Los Angeles, and Boston College. I think those schools all offer a top notch education but a better balance then ivies would. Regardless, I plan on going to grad school so that's the school that matters more in terms of reputation and academic intensity (not to say that any of the schools I just mentioned are lacking). But unless you're absolutely set on an Ivy, there are many great schools out there that may offer a better balance (imo). To list some, (in addition to the ones I'm planning on applying to), Georgetown University, NYU, USC was already mentioned, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (notoriously hard to get into because I believe over 80% are in state), and I'm sure you can find quite a few others. Check out http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....tudoc_brief.php as a starter if you're interested.

Out of state to UVa is just about as hard to get into as some of the Ivy League schools. I know people who have gotten into several Ivy League schools and been straight up rejected by Virginia.

Getting into grad school is all about knowing the right people and having good grades for your undergrad degree, not because you went to a prestigious ivy league school. Sure, it may look good and possibly help get you in wherever you want to go, but typically profs don't really care whether or not you went to a prestigious school, they want to see what you know and if you can apply it.

Just out of curiosity, what are you wanting to major in?

i wanna get into finance but will probably graduate in economics as an undergrad

Well if finance is your thing then here are some of the schools you should consider:

University size: Wharton at Penn and U. Chicago have to be at the top of your list if you want to do finance. Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia are probably the next best for undergrad econ in the Ivies. Stanford is phenomenal, as well as UC Berkeley and Northwestern. Granted all of those schools are the hardest colleges to gain admission to in the country.

Liberal arts: Claremont McKenna has the best liberal arts econ/finance department (call me biased because I go there, but that's exactly why I decided to go there) and if you're looking at smaller schools, check it out. Carleton also has an excellent economics program, more theory based though.

i wanna get into finance but will probably graduate in economics as an undergrad

Well if finance is your thing then here are some of the schools you should consider:

University size: Wharton at Penn and U. Chicago have to be at the top of your list if you want to do finance. Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia are probably the next best for undergrad econ in the Ivies. Stanford is phenomenal, as well as UC Berkeley and Northwestern. Granted all of those schools are the hardest colleges to gain admission to in the country.

Liberal arts: Claremont McKenna has the best liberal arts econ/finance department (call me biased because I go there, but that's exactly why I decided to go there) and if you're looking at smaller schools, check it out. Carleton also has an excellent economics program, more theory based though.

I took a look at CMC actually. Only thing is that there admittance level is like 19%. so its kinda tough to get in.