eBay question/advice.

AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76 ClubWRX Posts: 1,489 ClubWRX
Quick question for you all. Listed and sold a Limited Bettinardi putter. Did not have a COA, did not advertise it as coming with a COA. Buyer just contacted me, was sold over a week ago, asking for a refund because it does not have a COA. What is standard procedure here?

Comments

• duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,051 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #2
    Politely tell him, the listing did not say there was a COA, nor was there a picture of a COA, and that he should have asked before bidding if he was so concerned and you could have told him and updated the listing accordingly.

eBay listings with a COA, seem to mention it explicitly, he had no place assuming there was one.

I'd thank him for the message and that he makes many birdie putts with his new putter.
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #3
    Unfortunately I think you may have to take the return/refund and re-list. I would politely tell him it didn't come with a COA as stated in your ad and politely ask him to return it for a refund. Let him make the next call. He may just be a stand up guy and say okay sure and tell him to give you tracking once he ships.

If he presses back with a claim and try to make you pay shipping then you may just have to but only go through ebay messaging/claims process for all correspondence.

How's the buyer's feedback?

Hope everything works out for you man! You seem like a genuine good guy seller/buyer.

Knock on wood I've only had one return claim where the buyer filed a claim on a iron set because he loved everything but the grips were more worn than he expected. I even offered to send him 8 new grips (velvet) for a nominal $20. I politely asked him to return them with tracking even though the claim insisted I pay for a label. I ignored it and he got me tracking next day. Upon receipt I gave the refund and all ended well. It seemed to me like a case of "significant other buyer's remorse" as he definitely used his wife/mom's ebay account and got busted.
  • Bushwood Country ClubBushwood Country Club Bushwood Country Club Members Posts: 841 ✭✭
    No way I would refund - you delivered exactly what you advertised. I’d liken it to someone asking for a refund if you didnt include a headcover, even tho you did not advertise a h/c was included.
    • Ping G400 LST, Tensei Orange  
    • Ping G410 3 wood
    • Ping G410 3 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Mizuno JPX 919 5-9, Nippon Modus 105
    • Vokey SM7 46/8F, 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D Project X LZ 6.0
    • Scotty Cameron Newport 3r
  • cvvorstcvvorst ClubWRX Posts: 3,208 ClubWRX
    Is that his only complaint? If so, I think there's a chance you would win a ebay dispute, since you never mentioned it would include one.

It sounds like he wants an excuse to return it. My only concern is that he would invent some other excuse (it's too short, it's too long, putter not in condition described, etc) Or that he would damage it and claim it arrived like that. But again, I think your chances are pretty good.

That being said, if you know it would be easy to sell it again, you might consider taking the return.
    Ping G400 Max - Diamana DF 60 TX or Accra RPG 462 M5 or Accra TZ5 65 M5 or Accra TZ6 75 M5
    Ping G400 Stretch - Diamana BF 80 TX
    PXG Gen 2 - 0311X 2 Iron HZRDUS 105 6.5
    PXG 0311X - 4 Iron HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    PXG 0311T - 5 to PW - C Taper 130 X
    Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks SM6 RAW - 50F - 54S - 58 Links K
    Taylormade Spider X Copper Slant Neck - Ping Ketsch TR - Bettinardi BB0 Texas Tea - TP Mills Ming Anvil Flow Neck
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭
    Thing is, I don't think you can even dispute anything as a seller anymore on ebay. They make you take the return either way. Any "not as described" claim is like an automatic forced return.
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76 ClubWRX Posts: 1,489 ClubWRX
    Thanks for the advice. I stated that I did not advertise with the COA. He replied “ok, have a good day”. Hopefully everything will be good. Good reminder for the future to state no COA just to be sure. I figure it’s fairly obvious when you don’t include it or take a picture of it, but you never know I guess.
  • TheBIIgCatTheBIIgCat ClubWRX Posts: 1,447 ClubWRX
    How ridiculous... Buyers remorse.. No way should you have to accept a return
    Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    COAs come only with high priced special issue putters. I usually do not accept returns and advertise as no returns.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,051 ✭✭
    thevaporz wrote:

^It was a high end limited putter. Found the listing. As OP stated, no mention of COA.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Relatively speaking that's not that high end, I am sure the poster above you is referring to the $1k+ putters, some of which do explicitly mention a COA.
    duffer987 wrote:

thevaporz wrote:

Relatively speaking that's not that high end, I am sure the poster above you is referring to the $1k+ putters, some of which do explicitly mention a COA.

Yup, that’s it. The buyer was able to take advantage of the 20% off for the eBay coupon during the sale for Father’s Day.

duffer987 wrote:

thevaporz wrote:

^It was a high end limited putter. Found the listing. As OP stated, no mention of COA.

Yup, that's it. The buyer was able to take advantage of the 20% off for the eBay coupon during the sale for Father's Day.

After checking the link, maybe it's bad karma for using 'gamed' in your listing. I kid I kid of course ;-)

That's a cool looking putter!
  • BowlorgolfBowlorgolf Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Nice putter! You list the registers # I think they can get a COA but as some said it isn’t the really high end where it is truly needed since it is one to play.
  • jschwarbjschwarb Members Posts: 765 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #16
    Hope it works out for you, you did nothing wrong. I'm about to open a claim with a guy who sold me a dozen "new" Pro V1x but one sleeve had an alignment line drawn around all three balls (and not just an inch-long line, I mean around the whole ball). That just bugs the heck out of me. I asked the guy to refund me one-fourth of the purchase price or the entire thing (with me returning the whole box), but of course he's gone quiet. Of course this isn't an expensive thing and life will go on, but as a frequent seller myself I just don't stand for that kind of jive.
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,645 ✭✭
    My only concern with someone coming to me after a sale with a petty complaint like this, is that when I politely tell them the listing did not mention a COA and to to kick rocks... they take a hammer to ithe putter and file a claim with eBay “not as described” and return a beat up putter (on my dime).

Sounds like it should work out fine for the OP, but personally anytime anyone has messaged me after the fact with a complaint on eBay, I offer them to return it for a full refund as their option. I feel like there’s a lot of folks on the bay that will try for a discount after the sale by pointing out ticky-tack crap trying to get a partial refund and hoping the seller will give them one out of fear of a claim or negative feedback.
    Driver: '16 M2 10.5° | Elements Platinum Proto 6
    Ping G400 LST 8.5° | Evenflow HC Black 65
    Cobra F9 9° | Atmos Tour Spec Black 6
    Fairway: M4 Tour 15° | Kuro Kage XT 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° | Speeder HB 8.8
    Driving Iron: Apex X-Forged Utility 21° | AD-DI 105
    Irons: Srixon 785 5-pw | Recoil 110
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 raw 48° F (Handground S), 54° S, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
    Scotty AOP Newport oil can
     Byron Morgan DH89 oil can

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/
  • KC13KC13 31st StateMembers Posts: 357 ✭✭
    thevaporz wrote:

"It's a beaut Clark. It's a beaut."
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9° - Fuji Speeder Evo V 661x
    3 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel 15° - TM Fuji Speeder 77x
    Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 (2i/18°) - KBS TGI 110
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 (4-Pw) - KBS Tour Black Nickel 125 S+
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50,54,58) - KBS Tour 120 S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron - Teryllium Newport 
    Ball: 18' Pro V1