MP 18 MMC comparisons

OknowsOknows Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
What would you guys compare the MMC to? z565, i200, AP2/AP3, Apex CF 16 Anyone still playing them that can share thoughts on forgiveness, turf interaction, etc.?
Ping G410 Plus at 8* w/ Diamana W 70x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75
Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
Ping i500 3 iron (17*) w/ DG 120 x100
Titleist 816 H1 23*
Callaway CF16 5-AW w/ DG 120 s300
Ping Glide 2.0 54* w/ DG 120 s300
Ping Glide 2.0 58* w/ DG 120 s300
Evnroll ER1

Comments

• dalillama47dalillama47 Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭
    Forgiveness is closer to the AP2 IMO. As with most Mizuno's, they go through the turf very well. Would not recommend if your a massive divot taker, soles are a little thin, but not as thin as some of there other offerings. If your looking at the combining the MMC Fli-Hi's with the MMC's, they are definitely more forgiving in the 4,5 and 6 irons, and feel good for not being a forged club.
    Srixon Z785
    Srixon F85 3 & 5
    Srixon H85 #4 22*
    Srixon Z585 5 iron, Z785 6-pw
    Cleveland RTX 4, 50,54, & 58
    Bettinardi Sudio Stainless 38
    Srixon 2019 Z Star

• *T**T* Members Posts: 146
    AP2 is definitely a solid comparison. I just put together a set of the MMC Fli-Hi (3-5) MMC (6-8) and MP18 Blade (9,PW) and I am absolutely pouring these irons. I went through. Full fitting before purchase and they was fit once again after purchase to fine tune the loft and lie of each club. Couldn’t be happier. My favorite set since my Mizuno Pro’s I played years ago.
    *T*
  • OknowsOknows Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    Trying to decide if I'm ready to move on from my z545s. Played and enjoyed the 714 AP2, so sounds like these might be a good fit for me. I've hit them and liked them, but doubt I would get fitted for them. I have a coach that I can get to tweek them for me afterward.
    Ping G410 Plus at 8* w/ Diamana W 70x
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Ping i500 3 iron (17*) w/ DG 120 x100
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    Callaway CF16 5-AW w/ DG 120 s300
    Ping Glide 2.0 54* w/ DG 120 s300
    Ping Glide 2.0 58* w/ DG 120 s300
    Evnroll ER1
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,369 ClubWRX
    *T* wrote:

AP2 is definitely a solid comparison. I just put together a set of the MMC Fli-Hi (3-5) MMC (6-8) and MP18 Blade (9,PW) and I am absolutely pouring these irons. I went through. Full fitting before purchase and they was fit once again after purchase to fine tune the loft and lie of each club. Couldn't be happier. My favorite set since my Mizuno Pro's I played years ago.

I have 4-6 fli-hi, 7-8 MMC, 9-P MB, and agree phenomenal combo set. I would have went all MMC, but the 9-P got a bit too chunky..

I have not owned any of the other sets, came from JPX 900F ( still have), comparable in forgiveness to the 900F outside of the 9-P.
    F9 - 9* Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • MysticfalconMysticfalcon Members Posts: 80
    I would put the MMC somewhere between the Z565 & Z765. I was very torn between the 3 sets but eventually settled on a MMC & Fli-hi set
  • bigD77bigD77 Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Agreed on the above post...closer to 765's than 565's i think. Also a bit bigger than AP2's, but not nearly as chunky as AP3's. I also own a set of I200's and while those long irons may be a touch more forgiving, the MMC's are much better looking in the 4-6 irons than the Pings.

I came from JPX 900 Tours, and to me, the MMC fits in between the 900 tour and forged sets, size and forgiveness wise.

I'm also more of a sweeper, so Mizuno MP's have always been a good fit for me. But even when I need to get steep on something out of the rough, they feel like they're in and out with minimal resistance. A bit cleaner than my Pings it seems.

I play to a 3hc and have played Mizuno for over 15 years. IMO, the MMC is one of their top 2 all-around sets to date. There's nothing it doesnt do well
  • Sactogolfer1234Sactogolfer1234 Members Posts: 179
    I currently play the MMCs from 4-PW and they are probably the best set of irons I’ve played and tested in the last few years. From my testing/fitting I’d say they are smaller and less forgiving than the i200, the Srixon 545/565 and the CF16 with less offset. I would agree with earlier posters that the MMC fits in between the 900 forged and 900 Tour in terms of forgiveness. Best comparison in testing in terms of forgiveness were the iblade and the AP2.

As far as my on course experience goes, I gamed a set of power spec iblades before switching to the MMC and have found them to be very similar in terms of carry, flight and spin. MMCs feel a lot softer though.
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2018 #9
    I play MP33s, but have a MMC 5 iron.

I'm seeing a smidge extra distance, but only consistent with the loft.

I haven't seen a huge increase in forgiveness or height vs. the MP33, and for this reason I'd probably be looking at a blend of SCs or MBs, keeping the 5 in the MMC

Turf interaction can only be described as 'Mizuno'. Just right.

AP3s sound/feel awful by comparison, but are hilariously long and surprisingly easy to hit. Not my cup of tea, but great irons.
  • Chopshop23Chopshop23 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    I’m playing MMCs. Coming from 716 AP2, I think they are about 1/2 club longer on mishits. This seems to be due to getting less spin on Mishits.
  • golfpros1golfpros1 Members Posts: 7,579 ✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2018 #11
    I tried the jpx 900 hot metal, jpx 900 forged, and mp 18 mmc today and WOW, the m 18 mmc feel really good and are surprisingly forgiving. I tried a 4 iron and a 7 iron and they performed really well and felt fantastic. I thought for sure I was going to want the jpx 900 forged and now I'm not so sure.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What's In The Bag:[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Golf Jobs[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90 S[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wedges: Callaway Forged w/ Project X 6.0[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ball: [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Titleist ProV1 / Taylormade TP5x[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bag: Titleist[/font]
  • golfpros1golfpros1 Members Posts: 7,579 ✭✭
    Ok... I got on a launch monitor to test the 900 forged against the 18 mmc, and the 900 forged smoked it. It wasn’t that much straighter but did offer some more help, but good grief it was a club longer almost. They are still a forged club and feel pretty good. It’s not as soft as the m18, but it’s got a great feel. But the distance of the forged was a little shocking.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What's In The Bag:[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Golf Jobs[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90 S[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wedges: Callaway Forged w/ Project X 6.0[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ball: [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Titleist ProV1 / Taylormade TP5x[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bag: Titleist[/font]