The Almost Hole In One Thread

youngstructuralyoungstructural Members Posts: 809 ✭✭
edited Jun 13, 2018 in General Golf Talk #1
So, I was playing last Sunday with my buddies at a local course, (Gateway golf club) here in SE Michigan... The weather was rainy and muggy.

We get to number 11 and it's a par 3 over water. I zap the pin with the Bushnell and it's 176. I pull 7 iron and stuff it. Now, typically when I've got close to a hole in one it was maybe a foot, or below the hole or something that was close but not heart breakingly close...

Well this shot I hit a nice draw, the pin was in the front part of the green and I landed it on the right , nearly pin high ... And it released at the hole, and from the surrounding dew marks by other balls you can tell it was tracking ...

Unfortunately I came up about one revolution short. I would have rather missed by three feet

#sigh

One day I'll get the real thing but until then this pic is all I got.

(The ball is pin high, I took the pic as I approached from the left).

Who else has been close?
Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,482 ✭✭
    Closest i ever came to a hole in one was the 17th hole of an interclub with the match all square, i was in the final group, the last two players on the course and our teams tied for first. Hit the ball off the flag and had it stick an inch from the hole.

Halved 18 for the win!

Not a hole in one, but one of my best golf memories nevertheless
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,183 ✭✭
    6" was my closest many years ago.....the wife starts golfing, worm burns one and bounces it off a rock and gets a hole in 1.....true story. still tying to get one

last year i witnessed a drunk guy get one....he had no idea if it was good or not.....it hurt being a witness for his card
  • Scratch_72Scratch_72 Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    About 2"

Playing by myself so would it have really counted?
    Callaway GBB 9° UST Proforce V2
    TEE XCG7 15°Aerotech SS65
    Adams XTD Ti 20° & 23° MRC Tensei Blue
    Ping G5 5-7 Nippon NS Pro 8950
    Ping i5 8-UW Nippon NS Pro 8950
    Ping Tour Gorge 54° & 58° CFS
    Ping Karsten TR Pal or Yes! Tracy or Odyssey White Hot XG7 or...
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Members Posts: 569 ✭✭
    Titleist 909d3 Diamana Blue 60s
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Titleist 913h 19* Diamana Blue 82h s+ 
    Ben Hogan PTx 22*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
    Ping Glide Forged 50* DG TI S400 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ping!)
    TM TP ATV 54* KBS Tour-V Wedge
    Vokey SM5 58* DG Wedge
    Ping 1959 B60
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    I was standing on the tee box waiting for the sprinklers to quit so i could hit.

As i was waiting two guys pulled up in a cart, minute later i hit a 145 8 iron, didnʻt watch, knew it was close.

The two guy's yell out " ****, itʻs in the hole !! ", we get up there and my ball is plugged in the top back of the hole just above the cup liner. I said " well shoot, canʻt count it as itʻs not exactly in the hole."

Next day iʻm checking in and the club pro say's " two guyʻs were in here last night saying they witnessed their first hole in one, i had to change the cup on #11, you wouldnʻt know anything about that would you ? " ..... busted.

• A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,197 ✭✭
    edited Jun 15, 2018 #7
    When I think of some of my relatives that have multiples, and then look at their skill level it makes me upset that I still don't have one. I've holed out from 155 once but never a par 3. I was 2" away a couple times but no dice..... Saw my dad get his first at age 72, so there's still hope yet!!!!
    '16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,859 ✭✭
    A.K.A.

The Only One in Group Not to Have One Thread

The One without the Story Thread
  • Viktoryred3Viktoryred3 Just playing the game... Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 515 ClubWRX
    I've hit from 2"-6" 5 or 6 times... the last time I was by myself and as the ball was in the air I said "Don't you dare" and it sat at 2".. probably should have kept my mouth shut
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • MysticfalconMysticfalcon Members Posts: 80
    The closest I have ever come is what I call my hole in 1.5.

I was on a 150ish par 3 and I put a horrible swing on the ball and hit the ground about 6" behind the ball and the divot managed to knock the ball out of the way so that the ball wound up about 2' from the tee, still on the tee box.

My next shot, from 2' away from my first shot landed right in front of the pin and hopped right into the cup.

So I holed out from the tee box, just not on my first swing.
  • tommgtommg Members Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Oyster Bay in Myrtle, paired with. Couple of locals. Fore some ahead wave us up (buddies) and proceed to huddle around the pin. Local guy tells me to put one in their pocket. Needles to say it was enjoyable to watch them scatter, stopped 6in short.
  • Ray5592Ray5592 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    6 inches just last year.
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake Members Posts: 1,982 ✭✭
    edited Jun 16, 2018 #14
    Mine was a 4 iron from about 200. The pitch mark was in front of the hole, perhaps a foot or two. The ball was directly in line with the pitch mark and the hole, but 3" or so behind the hole.

How that ball didn't go in, hit the hole, or at the very minimum hit the flag stick, I'll never understand.

But, I'll get over it the exact microsecond that my actual first hole in one disappears from my view!
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue Max
    X Forged UT 18° & 21° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 54° W w/PX & PM Grind 1.0 58° w/DG
    Toulon Austin
    171831.png
  • bigfatantbigfatant Members Posts: 118
    Last weekend I was 24 centimetres or 9.5 inches away. About six months ago I was about one metre away from an albatross which would have been more memorable for me but that's me being greedy... �
    Do you really want to know WITB? Oh ok (talk about peer pressure!)
    My favourite clubs I use sometimes (A$480 total):
    Srixon Z745 10.5degree driver Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $100
    Srixon F45 15 degree fairway wood Stiff flex $150
    Srixon H45 18 degree 3 hybrid Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $75
    Srixon i302 3 - SW RIfle 5.0 Shafts $135
    Bridgestown 60 degree lob wedge $20
    Odyssey Two ball Fang (Gift)
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Interestingly, I never consider a close shot like that on a par three a missed hole in one. I'm happier about it being a kick-in birdie. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • eddiebigeddieeddiebigeddie Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    I’ve had 4 almost hole in ones, all 2”-12”. First time ever on a course 6 years ago short Par 3 (95 yds) I skull one and it proceeds to run over a hill on right side of green and up to the pin stopping 2” behind it. Another time same hole hit shot that was tracking and landed 5 feet behind flag and proceeded to suck back as if going in the hole only to turn in last 6” and stop 2” below the hole. The one I thought I had for sure an uphill par 3 that you can’t see the actual ground of the green but can see the flag, I hit another shot that’s tracking dead on the flag and the 3 guys I was playing with are all screaming knowing it’s going in, we get up there and the ball Mark was 2 ft in front of the pin and ball was sitting a ball length short of the cup image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Cobra F9...….…………………..Aldila Tour Blue 65
    Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)…......…Project X HZRDUS Red 75
    Cobra F7 Hybrid (20.5).........….Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM (5 - Gw)…Project X LZ 6.5
    Cobra King Black (54/10)......….Project X LZ 6.5
    Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10)........KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (Damascus)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (303 Stainless-Naked)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Fixer (303 Stainless-Torched)[/background]

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • ahdongahdong Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I've almost had a few hole in ones on par 4's if those count...and too many close calls on par 3's
  • youngstructuralyoungstructural Members Posts: 809 ✭✭
    All the close calls count.

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
    Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
    Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
    Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
    Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
    Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
    Titleist ProV1x (2017)
  • rlconklinrlconklin Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Had a couple close. On one, it hit a foot or so in front of the cup, bounced up and hit the flag and came to rest about 2" in front of the cup. Another was on a long par 3 and it hit in front of the green and rolled just a little too fast and did a 180° around the cup and came out a couple inches in front.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Irons, and Woods
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Putter
  • NEhomerNEhomer Members Posts: 203
    Not quite a hole in one but here's my buddy's second shot into our par 5 4th hole. Would have been a double eagle. It literally could not have been closer to the hole...the slightest nudge would have dropped it!

YLHOdl2.jpg
  • bmurphbmurph Members Posts: 466 ✭✭
    Tee shot from 189 with a five iron, ball landed about 4ft in front directly in line with the cup and somehow rolled to about 6 inches behind, looked like it went in because it was hidden by the pin and blended in with the cup with the back to front slope
  • dgarlanddgarland So I got that going for me... which is nice. Members Posts: 115 ✭✭
    A few years ago I was playing with a new set of irons and left one overhanging the hole the first time I ever hit that club.
    Taylor Made M2 Driver
    Callaway X Hot Pro 3 Wood
    Callaway X Hot Pro 2H & 4H
    Callaway X-14 Pro 5-PW
    Callaway MD3 50 & 54
    Callaway PM Grind 58
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,042 ✭✭
    edited Jun 24, 2018 #24
    This one doesn't count as almost since it went IN last Friday! Sucked back from the ball mark, good fun! Sorry I have no idea why my iPhone photos format incorrectly. Oh well you get the point. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 775 ✭✭
    I have never had one and not often all that close. Last week though, I landed one probably 10 inches in front of the hole. Then it disappeared before emerging again on the back side of the cup settling 6 inches behind the hole. I guess the classic lip out. Oh well, maybe someday?
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,496 ClubWRX
    Hit the flag on a short par 3, bummer.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • Pete O'TubePete O'Tube Members Posts: 328 ✭✭
    1. Playing at Southerness in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. 25-30 mph winds and persistent rain. Tee shot at the short par 3 finished plugged and deforming the cup. about half an inch short!

2. High Post 8th hole, another short par 3. Wedge pitches 12 inches in front, drops into the hole and screws back out!

I've managed 2 Holes-in -one since then, the first one was achieved after 51 years of playing golf.
    Ping G400 10.5 deg Ping Tour 80 S
    Ping G25 4 wood Ping Tour 80 S

3 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g Reg
    7 - W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g Reg
    53.09 Vokey SM5
    58.08 Vokey SM5

Ping B60 50th Anniversary/ Since 1959 Anser/ 1985 BeCu Anser

• puttfordouxputtfordoux Members Posts: 411 ✭✭

So, I was playing last Sunday with my buddies at a local course, (Gateway golf club) here in SE Michigan... The weather was rainy and muggy.

We get to number 11 and it's a par 3 over water. I zap the pin with the Bushnell and it's 176. I pull 7 iron and stuff it. Now, typically when I've got close to a hole in one it was maybe a foot, or below the hole or something that was close but not heart breakingly close...

Well this shot I hit a nice draw, the pin was in the front part of the green and I landed it on the right , nearly pin high ... And it released at the hole, and from the surrounding dew marks by other balls you can tell it was tracking ...

Unfortunately I came up about one revolution short. I would have rather missed by three feet

#sigh

One day I'll get the real thing but until then this pic is all I got.

(The ball is pin high, I took the pic as I approached from the left).

Who else has been close?

I once got help from an overhanging tree on the left side of the green that threw my ball about six inches from the cup. Needless to say the shot can never be duplicated...the tree has since been cut down.
  • kozubskozubs Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Flew one in the cup and it bounced out to the right about 12 feet away. Guys I was playing went nuts saying it was a hio. I said no. They asked what I would call it to which I replied "a putt for birdie". I missed the putt.
  • gc444gc444 Lefty Boomers Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Early on when I first started playing I was on a 130 par 3 that was surrounded by trees so I hit a punch 5 iron (obviously way too much club). It took one hop and hit the base of the flag and shot off the green. Two other times at different courses I have hit my first shot on a par 3 out of bounds or in the water and hit the second shot from the tee less than 5 inches to the hole. I did get to see one of my golf buddies make his only hole in one ever, but that is as close as I have got.
  • JR11JR11 Members Posts: 55
    Playing yesterday - 155 yard par three to a fton pin with heavy bunkering to the right and a false front. Hit a cut 9 iron a little thin, 2 bounces then hits the flagstick flush, dribbles down the false front into a swallow. Depressing to go so close and end up off the green!
    Callaway Rogue 9* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75
    Cobra F8 16* Aldila NV 2KXv Blue 70 X Stiff
    Cobra F8 18.5* Aldila NV 2KXv Blue 70 X Stiff
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW KBS Tour 130 X
    Callaway MD4 50*, 54*
    Ping Tour W 60*
    Odyssey O-Works No. 7