How Many Times did Phil Finish 2nd Behind Tiger?

WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the CornerMembers Posts: 4,865 ✭✭
edited Jun 13, 2018 in Tour Talk #1
Its said a lot that Phils career is so remarkable because a huge chunk of his wins came in the Tiger era, and that he would have even more wins if it werent for Tiger, but how many times exactly did he finish 2nd behind Tiger?
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

Comments

  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,694 ✭✭
    I saw that. My impression is that Nobilo and Brandel were arguing that TW is underrated and should be held in even higher regard. Therefore Phil should ve as well. Nobilo said Els and VJ should be see in a much higher light as well.



    I think part of it was the equipment and ball leveling the playing field and masking weaknesses of the current crop.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,283 ✭✭
    off the top of my head 8-10 times. Without looking the ones that stand out are the WGC around 2000 us open at bethpage, doral, etc...
  • GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,550 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #4
    Not many, by my count 4 times and only once in a major. On the flip side of the coin Tiger finished second to Phil 5 times.





    To be fair that isn't an obscenely low number. Arnie finished second to Jack 6 times and the same for the reverse.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,694 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #5
    Its not a question of phil vs tw, I dont think. Clearly, TW production was multiples of phils.



    My take is they were making the argument that phil, ernie, vj, were all top shelf golfers but are underrated because the level of TWs play was so far off the charts.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,283 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:


    I saw that. My impression is that Nobilo and Brandel were arguing that TW is underrated and should be held in even higher regard. Therefore Phil should ve as well. Nobilo said Els and VJ should be see in a much higher light as well.



    I think part of it was the equipment and ball leveling the playing field and masking weaknesses of the current crop.




    Instruction and video and trackman have revolutionized the game. I dont believe it masks weaknesses because the feel guys still win plenty. But equipment right now with shaft fitting is another level that didnt exist in 2007-2008. The other thing is desire.Everybody thinks Phil is aloof and so on but he has a killer instinct and desire second to only tiger. he is actively sought out to gamble on the course by all the young guns to the point that they dont want to play anymore with him because hes rattled their confidence. Rumor is he took 5k off DJ and he never played with him again. Like tiger phil loves the juice of being inside the ropes and attempting ridiculous shots. thats why those 2 have won so much more than the rest.Its not just talent its will. Bottom line is alot more guys swing all out today because they can, not because theyre better.the equipment allows them to do this and not be as penal. Vijay and Ernie are very underrated as well.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,283 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:


    Its not a question of phil vs tw, I dont think. Clearly, TW production was multiples of phils.



    My take is they were making the argument that phil, ernie, vj, were all top shelf golfers but are underrated because the level of TWs play was so far off the charts.






    Yup thats fair. I mean Phil is putting up 4-5 win seasons and tiger is literally doubling that. Ernie has a few more majors if not for tiger and a couple more regular wins no doubt. Vijay found magic for 2.5 seasons but played so much more than the other 3 as well. Very impressive
  • flopshotscottflopshotscott Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    >Like tiger phil loves ... attempting ridiculous shots. thats why those 2 have won so much more than the rest



    But Phil would have a US Open if not for attempting a ridiculous shot image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,694 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:

    bscinstnct wrote:


    I saw that. My impression is that Nobilo and Brandel were arguing that TW is underrated and should be held in even higher regard. Therefore Phil should ve as well. Nobilo said Els and VJ should be see in a much higher light as well.



    I think part of it was the equipment and ball leveling the playing field and masking weaknesses of the current crop.




    Instruction and video and trackman have revolutionized the game. I dont believe it masks weaknesses because the feel guys still win plenty. But equipment right now with shaft fitting is another level that didnt exist in 2007-2008. The other thing is desire.Everybody thinks Phil is aloof and so on but he has a killer instinct and desire second to only tiger. he is actively sought out to gamble on the course by all the young guns to the point that they dont want to play anymore with him because hes rattled their confidence. Rumor is he took 5k off DJ and he never played with him again. Like tiger phil loves the juice of being inside the ropes and attempting ridiculous shots. thats why those 2 have won so much more than the rest.Its not just talent its will. Bottom line is alot more guys swing all out today because they can, not because theyre better.the equipment allows them to do this and not be as penal. Vijay and Ernie are very underrated as well.




    Nice, that post is loaded.



    I may have oversimplified or not 100% accurately captured the sentiment of the conversation but it was interesting to hear these guys so engaged on this topic.



    Bradel said something, I just didnt get the whole thing, about it maybe not being councedence that phil started winning majors at the point he did. Just didnt catch if he said it was due to equipment or why exactly.
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

    lowheel wrote:

    bscinstnct wrote:


    I saw that. My impression is that Nobilo and Brandel were arguing that TW is underrated and should be held in even higher regard. Therefore Phil should ve as well. Nobilo said Els and VJ should be see in a much higher light as well.



    I think part of it was the equipment and ball leveling the playing field and masking weaknesses of the current crop.




    Instruction and video and trackman have revolutionized the game. I dont believe it masks weaknesses because the feel guys still win plenty. But equipment right now with shaft fitting is another level that didnt exist in 2007-2008. The other thing is desire.Everybody thinks Phil is aloof and so on but he has a killer instinct and desire second to only tiger. he is actively sought out to gamble on the course by all the young guns to the point that they dont want to play anymore with him because hes rattled their confidence. Rumor is he took 5k off DJ and he never played with him again. Like tiger phil loves the juice of being inside the ropes and attempting ridiculous shots. thats why those 2 have won so much more than the rest.Its not just talent its will. Bottom line is alot more guys swing all out today because they can, not because theyre better.the equipment allows them to do this and not be as penal. Vijay and Ernie are very underrated as well.




    Nice, that post is loaded.



    I may have oversimplified or not 100% accurately captured the sentiment of the conversation but it was interesting to hear these guys so engaged on this topic.



    Bradel said something, I just didnt get the whole thing, about it maybe not being councedence that phil started winning majors at the point he did. Just didnt catch if he said it was due to equipment or why exactly.




    He said Phil did not win majors until the solid core golf ball.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,002 ✭✭
    It's weird how some golfers get grouped together.



    Vijay is 55, he's older than Davis Love III. Yet we think of Davis more in the pre-Tiger era.



    Phil, Ernie and Furyk are my age born 1969/ 1970 but they usually get grouped with Tiger who was born in the dying days of 1975.



    Tiger is slightly closer in age to Adam Scott, Sergio, Kuchar, Rose and Bubba and the rest in the 38-40 age range.



    Tiger is about as close in age to Dustin Johnson as he is Steve Stricker. Another pair he's about equal in distance to, Vijay Singh and Jason Day.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,604 ✭✭
    Brandel must be drinking... Phil can't be in the top 10 of all time because he was not #1 in his era but 3 guys born the same year as each other are rated above him? Phil also gets demerits for doing much of his winning after Tiger's issues per Chamblee. Couldn't you say the same of Hogan? Late bloomer did much of his greatness after Nelson retired to his ranch.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,215 ✭✭


    Its said a lot that Phils career is so remarkable because a huge chunk of his wins came in the Tiger era, and that he would have even more wins if it werent for Tiger, but how many times exactly did he finish 2nd behind Tiger?
    4 times. Ernie finished 2nd to Tiger 5 times.



    https://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/tiger-woods-career-pga-tour-victories-alternative-history



    The above article was from November 2017. Fun read.



    - No player was a runner-up to Woods more than Ernie Els. The Big Easy was a runner up to Tiger on five occasions.



    [background=rgb(236, 232, 222)]- Davis Love III, Phil Mickelson and Jim Furyk have all been runner up to Woods on four occasions each.[/background]



    [background=rgb(236, 232, 222)]- Chris DiMarco's three runner-up finishes to Woods were in three huge events -- the 2005 Masters; 2006 Open Championship and the World Golf Championships-NEC Invitational.[/background]
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,215 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #14
    lowheel wrote:


    off the top of my head 8-10 times. Without looking the ones that stand out are the WGC around 2000 us open at bethpage, doral, etc...
    It's only 4 times. Phil finished second to Tiger @ The 1999 WGC NEC Invitational, 2001 Bay Hill, 2002 US Open and 2005 Ford Championship @ Doral (pic below from 72nd hole where Phil almost chipped in to force a playoff). That's it.



    phil-mickelson-017022352.jpg
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,283 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

    lowheel wrote:


    off the top of my head 8-10 times. Without looking the ones that stand out are the WGC around 2000 us open at bethpage, doral, etc...
    It's only 4 times. Phil finished second to Tiger @ The 1999 WGC NEC Invitational, 2001 Bay Hill, 2002 US Open and 2005 Ford Championship @ Doral (pic below from 72nd hole where Phil almost chipped in to force a playoff). That's it.



    phil-mickelson-017022352.jpg




    Yeah, like i said off the top of my head.Lets not forget Phil bogeyed the last hole a few times chasing tiger and finished 3rd a few times.Its all the same
Sign In or Register to comment.