Macgregor iron experts, what year are these irons?

OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers Posts: 1,220 ✭✭
Can any Macgregor guys tell me what year these irons were made? I just picked up these rough factory heads 3-sw. They are new old stock factory heads that never had the finishing work done. I got these and some Macgregor DoctoRX (Ping Eye 2 look alikes) set of heads 1-sw. They were a cheap venture for my first grinding/finishing project.

Thanks

Comments

• chivachiva Members Posts: 2,525 ✭✭
    Pictures are too small.
    OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers Posts: 1,220 ✭✭
    chiva wrote:

Pictures are too small.

I realized that right after I posted. I just edited it with stock photos of both type. I'll have to take pictures of the heads
  • HoganApexBladesHoganApexBlades ...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny... Members Posts: 2,020 ✭✭
    The MacGregor cast VIP's are from the late '70s. Jack actually used them for a period in tournament play. I think they were more prominently used by His Honor, Judge Elihu Smails. I should know...
    CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS
  • Ironmaster OdditiesIronmaster Oddities Members Posts: 1,414 ✭✭
    I think they are mid to late 1970's. MacGregor's rather feeble attempt to fight off PING. Just before the classic/vintage club craze exploded in the late 70's and early 80's.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,396 ✭✭
    I do not have a Kaplan book but I think and I may be wrong 77 or 78
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers Posts: 1,220 ✭✭

The MacGregor cast VIP's are from the late '70s. Jack actually used them for a period in tournament play. I think they were more prominently used by His Honor, Judge Elihu Smails. I should know...

Awesome! The DoctorX irons are from 1993 I found out and the Cast VIP's are 70 something. Thanks for the input all
  • jmcf1949jmcf1949 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

Jack did use the VIP cavity back for awhile. I saw them in his bag at the Canadian Open in Windsor Ontario in 1975 or 76.
  • rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,997 ClubWRX
    Gravy-

These Jack Nicklaus VIP Irons are described on the first pages of the 1977 MacGregor catalog-

The Doctor RX iron model is from page 1 of the 1994 MacGregor catalog
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,396 ✭✭
    rex235 wrote:

Gravy-

These Jack Nicklaus VIP Irons are described on the first pages of the 1977 MacGregor catalog-

The Doctor RX iron model is from page 1 of the 1994 MacGregor catalog
    Well what do you know? I hit it on post #6 maybe my mind ain't gone yet