ping eye 2 plus no + possible find??

scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
I stumbled across some eye2s in a second hand shop and for the cheap price I was having them. So I did the usual and asked ping about them using the serial number....now these eye2s definitely do not have a plus sign in the cavity.

However, Ping came back to me stating they were ping eye 2+ created in 1990. So have I stumbled across some sort after plus non + eye2s I wonder??

Comments

• Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,410 ✭✭
    Ping Eye 2 + no +. The modified sole, more rounded toe design of the Eye 2+, but still made with the non-conforming Eye 2 grooves. Made for appx. 6 months, from 11/89 to 4/90. The sole and W stamp look quite different compared to Eye 2's, but no "+" in the back cavity. After which Ping began adding a "+" below the pat numbers. Not sure if Ping denoted the + no + models separately from the E2+. Easiest to identify looking at wedges.

Picture of my + no + SW. Note the absence of a + below the Pat. Numbers.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,467 ✭✭
    Not rare. Ping made tons of clubs back in those days.
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members Posts: 1,099 ✭✭
    Agree, they are not rare. On the numbered irons, are the soles scalloped in the back? Or straight across? The former is the plus and the plus no plus. The latter is the plain Eye2.
    Driver 915 D2
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    5-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Putter TM Rossa Daytona 6
  • SteveNZSteveNZ Members Posts: 634 ✭✭
    It's not unusual for PING to use a serial number more than once - I have a set of BeCu Eye 2s that have re-used serial numbers.
  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭

Ping Eye 2 + no +. The modified sole, more rounded toe design of the Eye 2+, but still made with the non-conforming Eye 2 grooves. Made for appx. 6 months, from 11/89 to 4/90. The sole and W stamp look quite different compared to Eye 2's, but no "+" in the back cavity. After which Ping began adding a "+" below the pat numbers. Not sure if Ping denoted the + no + models separately from the E2+. Easiest to identify looking at wedges.

Picture of my + no + SW. Note the absence of a + below the Pat. Numbers.

Ta, that's them alright! Many thanks as I was wondering yesterday after my ping email

Nessism wrote:

Not rare. Ping made tons of clubs back in those days.

I know but I was still excited to have something I've haven't had before
    edited Jun 15, 2018 #7
    Just a question, I've researched a little and there's a few contradicting versions but I am ok to play these in a competition on my home course....in the UK??

Anyway, here's a picture of the sw!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,264 ✭✭
    I've got a nice set of these 3-LW. Such great clubs.
    D - Bridgestone Tour B XD-5 Speeder Evolution II 661x
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6x
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder Evolution II 757x
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura (nickel chrome)
    58 - Miura Special Edition (raw)
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,467 ✭✭
    edited Jun 18, 2018 #9

Just a question, I've researched a little and there's a few contradicting versions but I am ok to play these in a competition on my home course....in the UK??

As I recall the UK had a slightly different take on the whole "Ping groove debacle" from back in the day. From the USGA perspective the grooves are okay for comp use till 2024, other than in high level Am and pro events that require CC grooves.

Edit: + no + can be identified in part by the numbers cast into the cavity. As your wedge shows the top number ends with ...577 and the second line...813. Those numbers are a giveaway as to the groove type. And contrary to what some people think, the grooves on those clubs are NOT sharp. In fact, the snafu over the grooves is because Ping used a very generous radius where the groove meets the face.
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭

If you play in any amateur handicapped events and someone gives you a hard time about your grooves, you should kick them square in the family jewels and tell them to pull their head out of their ****.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,156 ✭✭
    I would not use those in a comp in the UK. As far I know the UK take on the groove issue was simple. Plus in the back. OK. No plus non-conforming.

If you play in any amateur handicapped events and someone gives you a hard time about your grooves, you should kick them square in the family jewels and tell them to pull their head out of their ****.

Ha ha like it!
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,924 ✭✭

Best practice is to ask the tournament committee to learn if the clubs are conforming for the competition. Document, document , document the communications.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,384 ✭✭

My sentiments exactly image/scenic.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':scenic:' />
    BIG STU wrote:

My sentiments exactly image/scenic.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':scenic:' />

The course is that hard at the moment the grooves need to he huge!! It hasn't rained properly in months and due for more hot weather next week.....the Open could be very firm! But I'm loving the weather