Ping Alta CB iron shaft

thecrawthecraw Members Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
I was wondering if anyone has any feedback or reviews on the Ping Alta CB iron shaft please?

How does it perform, feel etc?
Ping G400 LST driver - Speeder Evolution 569

Ping G 5 wood - UST Mamiya Attas 3

Ping G400 3 Crossover - 19 UST Elements Earth

Ping i200 4-W Alta CB shafts

Ping Glide 2.0 wedges 50, 54 + 58

Cure RX4 putter

Comments

• Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,736 ✭✭
    Nice shaft. I would hit the CFS graphite too and see which you prefer. There is also a Recoil shaft in the fit cart too. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    I went for a fitting and for me found the Graphite Alta CB Iron shaft to feel heavier than the the Awt2.0 and Modus 105.

Driver: PXG Gen 2 0811 XF 14*
    FW: Ping G400 SFT 5w
    Hybrids: Exotics XRail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne H

• thecrawthecraw Members Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    erock9174 wrote:

I went for a fitting and for me found the Graphite Alta CB Iron shaft to feel heavier than the the Awt2.0 and Modus 105.

What was the flight like compared to the Nippon 105?

Bottom line is my hands have deteriorated quite quickly the last 6 months or so due to arthritis. I'm switching to graphite and don't really have the time to go for a fitting at present so I'm just buying blind. Going by Ping the Alta CB graphite should play fairly similar in terms of flex, flight etc.

Cure RX4 putter
    Just an update on this. I absolutely love the shaft, plays as it's advertised. It's stout but not too stiff, it gives great feedback and feel. Solid flight.

Delighted with them.

Can anyone tell me who is making this shaft for Ping?

Is it UST?

Cure RX4 putter
  • mefnocerousmefnocerous Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    It’s weird how these feel heavier (and stouter) than the awts.

It says the R are 66g while the AWT R are 98 (in the 7 iron).

I am shocked at how much I like these.

I’ve spent a lot of time (and money) on afternarket shafts to be this into some ping stock offerings.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]____________________________________[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Ping G400 10.5 ADDI 6x[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U85 18 ADDI 95x[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U65 23 ADDI 95x[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wishon 771 5-P (26-46) Modus 120[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura 51,55,58 DG Spinner[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX4 64 DG TI[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey #9[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridgestone Tour B RX[/font]
  • mcomco Members Posts: 19
    I really like the Alta CB iron shaft also. I've played many Ping shafts over the years. ZZ-lite until it was too stiff for me. Then in regular flex the CS-lite and AWT before switching to graphite. I wanted less stress on the body and a slightly higher fight in the longer irons.

The first was the TFC 189i. It gave me the little higher flight than the AWT that I was looking for, without ballooning in the short irons. Misses would tend to be a little pull draw, especially with the shorter irons. Overall liked everything, but the graphics on that shaft.

The Alta CB iron shaft has been even better. The flight is very straight. The little left miss rarely happens. Perhaps it is because these also incorporate the AWT concept, with the shorter iron shafts being a little heavier than in the longer irons. It's kind of like a cross between the TFC 189i (or 419i which was virtually the same) and the AWT steel shaft I had.

The soft feel and trajectory of the graphite with the stability of the steel. And subtle, hidden graphics.

The Recoil I hit higher (in the simulator) than the Alta CB and I didn't think it felt a good either. I'd hit the CFS graphite shaft before, but to me it didn't seem to have any feel. I've not hit the CFS steel to give any comparison.

So for me the Alta CB has been the best of Ping's most recent graphite iron shaft offerings.
    Nobody able to tell me who is making this shaft yet?

Cure RX4 putter
  • mcomco Members Posts: 19
    edited Dec 9, 2018 #9
    I have not re-gripped the irons yet to be sure. If you want to know who made yours, re-grip one. Be careful removing the tape, so you don't also peel off the labels on the shaft. The manufacturer's labels are usually still on there.

If you call Ping (1-800-4pingfit) they typically will tell you.

My i25s with the TFC189i shafts were made by UST. I have three Glide wedges with the TFC 419i shafts. Two were made by UST and one by Aldila (I'm pretty sure). When talking to Ping in the past they said there usually is one primary maker which is making them based on Ping's specs and one additional to cover demand. In the prior shafts it has been UST and Aldila.

So even if one person was able to verify theirs were made by UST, it doesn't necessarily mean that another persons was. Ping would have to tell you if they used only one manufacturer for this shaft or not.